This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

PJ Tucker is one of the rare NBA players who has had most success and will have played the large majority of his career games over the age of 30. Relatively few players are still NBA starters and in regular rotation aged 37 let alone getting a new 3 year deal at that age. Yet PJ achieved that LBJ and CP3 are probably the only regular NBA starters who are around PJ’s age. Udonis Haslem is still on the Heat’s roster but is there more as a locker room leader – player mentor than a regular rotation guy.

But unlike LBJ who is top 3 of All Time and CP3 who will likely be a first ballot HoF guy too, PJ has always averaged single digits in all stats columns and apart from his 3 point shooting success nothing stands out about his stats. He has never been nominated for either an all first or even all second defensive team as say a guy like his current 76ers teammate Matisse Thybulle has been.

But PJ seems to be a very important player to any team he has been ob since he returned to the NBA a decade ago and won a title with the Bucks. So was in big demand despite being one of the odest players in the NBA and was given a 3 year deal to make he potentially one of the rare players to make it to 40 in the NBA.

So is his strength his intangibles – his experience, leadership, man to man defending, versatility. He may not be outstanding at any part of his game but his game has no real weaknesses so he can always be in the mix whatever the game status. He probably doesn’t even bother if he doesn’t get shots but he has a good shooting range so is always an option.

So is he the best intangibles guy in the NBA now and probably one of the most underrated. The sort of guy any star player would want alongside them after a top level running mate?

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Without thinking too much about it, running through a list etc. I would go with Al Horford (bigs), Chris Paul (gaurds), and for wings I dont mind having PJ Tucker there. Theres some more guys who just made a career off it. Kyle Lowry for sure. He’s probably the NBA’s alltime leader in charges drawn. Not sure when they started recording that stat but I’d put money on it.

I get what you mean though. These are guys that sort of just know the league. They know all the players and there tendencies. They know what they can and cannot do against certain players, teams and strategies. They understand their teammates and what they can do. It gives them an advantage. But then you get a guy like Luka Doncic or Lebron James where all of this just came natural. Didn’t have to learn it was just instinct ha.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

“Intangibles” is kind of tough to define, but I have an idea what you mean. Guys who impact the game is ways that are under appreciated or don’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet. To me draymond has always been kind of the gold standard for this type of player (at least in the current era). Tucker in a way mimics a lot of what draymond can do in terms of defensive versatility, although he lacks draymonds playmaking skills on offense. Guys like pat bev and Marcus smart also come to mind. Danny green has made a career of playing off stars. Guys like Shane battier, Derek fisher, Robert horry and James posey would have fallen into this category in previous eras.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Yeah I think he means more winning roleplayer than intangibles. Not saying he is #1, but Patrick Beverly also has to be high on list and was a similar path to NBA as Tucker.

Hitster
    Participant

Intangibles I class as guys who do things but maybe not fill the stats column or even get recognised in All NBA teams. Draymond did spring to mind but he has lead his team in assists, rebounds and has been a DPOY and numerous all NBAs. Whilst PJ hasn’t achieved any of these but is still as vital to his team in many ways as a Draymond is.

Derek Fisher and Robert Horry are perhaps the nearest to PJ as they never achieved any individual awards but helped teams to numerous titles.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login