This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar klementime 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    joe2324gj
    Participant

losing twice to OKC, a team with a tiny payroll and less stars but a great coach, should be enough evidence that D’Antoni is the problem.

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

U had me Agreeing with you.Until u refered to Billy Donovan as a Great coach!!

sniper
    Participant

I wouldn’t get rid of him yet. The biggest knock on him historically is that his teams don’t play defense and he doesn’t seem to care. But the Rockets have been pretty decent on D the last couple seasons.

Are the Rockets going to change the way they play, meaning stop letting Harden dominate the ball and launch shots that Larry Bird would have been benched for trying? Are they going to build a balanced team, on which players other than Harden & Westbrook have freedom to try and exploit a mismatch, rather than just waiting for a pass from the two stars?

If not, it would be stupid to fire D’Antoni, because D’Antoni has made that style of play more successful than anyone thought possible.

The Goat
    Participant

Trade Westbrook to Minny for Covington and whatever else. Let Harden go nuts with 40 shots a game. Gordon, Covington, Tucker bombing away, Capela in the middle. Give them all 35+ mins a game and just see what happens. Last roll of the dice.
    In my opinion, it’s worth the risk cos I’m already calling the Rockets done and D’Antoni gone.
    He’s gotta go. I can’t see any other way for this to play out. He’ll find it hard to get another NBA head coaching job too.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

This roster was specifically built to play a certain way with harden dominating the ball and d’antoni as the coach. Trading for Westbrook obviously complicated things as he doesn’t really fit that style of play. Still, it would be hard for me to think of a coach of the top of my head that would be likely to get better results with the same roster. If they are going to get rid of d’antoni it would likely also come with some heavy shakeups to their roster and their whole identity as a team would be very likely to change.

klementime
    Participant

Never been a fan of D’Antoni, “his” basketball is the ruins of the essence of basketball – ball hogs shooting like crazy, no system, no nothing. Had a year in Phoenix thanks to Nash and Amare and that’s it. Nothing with NY, nothing in Houston.

No team will ever succeed with him as coach. And Houston is a prime example of this – two ball dominant players and a bunch of random shooters standing in corners and shooting at will. Might be fun in the regular season and win you some games but come playoffs it’s second round at best.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login