This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by bt102bt102 bt102 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

I disagree so much with the consensus projected rankings of this group of prospects that I really can’t even bare making a mock draft and trying to guess where they will be selected. Because it looks like James Wiseman will go anywhere from 3rd to 7th but to me he should be the clearcut 1st pick. Oturu and Carey Jr. are both being put n the 2nd round in alot of mocks which absolutely blows my mind. Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion have both slipped out of the lottery while alot of mocks have Kira Lewis and Devin Vassell ranked higher. So much I disagree with.

All of these prospects are extremely talented and have a chance to have a bright future in the NBA but what the higher pick guarantees is that a team will invest in those players and attempt to develop them. So even know I would definitely pick reggie Perry before Patrick Williams that doesn’t mean I think Williams will be a bust. I just feel a team would be better off developing Perry.

Either way I kinda hope it stays the same because the way things are looking these fools are gonna have another allstar talent fall right into the Raptors hands with a late 1st round pick.

3+
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

I was Agreeing with Everything u Wrote up Until u Dissed Patrick Williams.lol. I currently have him 4th on my Big Board! Behind only Ball, Wiseman & Edwards. Williams has so much potential on both ends of the floor. And he’s 1 of youngest players if not the youngest. Yeah. it’s puzzling as to why guys like Carey and Mannion listed as 2nd rounders. They r 2 guys that have skills that translate. Mannion is the 2nd best passer in the draft 2nd to Ball. Carey’s ability to rebound will get him minutes as a rookie. He reminds me of Sabonis. And the so called experts have overlooked a lot of prospects. Getting to the right team and fit is 1 thing that helps a draftee.

1+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

I disagree with Vassell. If you watch his film, he looks like at worst case scenario, a worse version of Danny Green his rookie year, and I see a lot of Khris Middleton in him. Kira Lewis, I think he’s higher because he’s safer, he’s also younger than some of these freshman coming out including Cole Anthony, which helps too. I recently looked into Oturu’s numbers and I will admit this now, I was harsher on him than I should have been. He shouldn’t be in the top 10, or really in the lottery, but I could see him going just outside it. I found an article that was reporting on what teams have said on prospects. A lot of teams like Oturu, but not lottery teams. It looks the earliest he will go will probably be just outside the lottery or later in the round. The article also talked about Mannion as well, and the article mentioned that the there is a strong belief that Zeke Nnaji will be the first Wildcat off the board. Looking at Mannions Per 36 numbers on Tankathon, it’s not encouraging. I disagree about him being the 2nd best passer, especially when he was playing with a ton of prospects and future prospects, and still a negative for Assists at the PG position. Hayes, Haliburton, Riller are better than Mannion with passing. Carey is an interesting one, I could see him developing, but he plays too much like Okafor to warrant a lottery pick in my opinion. The reason Wiseman is so far down, is because of the Center position being less important. That alone puts me down more on him. I think he is the 2nd most skilled player in the draft behind LaMelo, but that’s why I have him lower.

I definitely have Williams over Perry as well. I’m not as high on him, but I haven’t really looked at him much yet, but I do plan to do so soon. I have him in the late second round, but that will probably change once I get more of a read on him.

This is going to be a controversial comment but I’m going to say it right now because it needs to be said: nbadraft.net mock drafts early in the year, aren’t the greatest to use. Let’s go back to last year. Constantly had Hachimura in the top 5, not the worst but had Keldon Johnson and Bruno Fernando in the top 10, it was only till about the final week, did it finally stop happening. 2018, was better. That was the year that the person in charge won the entire tournament. But it was also a better draft class. This year, I feel the guys that have been overrated all year, are Oturu and Carey Jr. Now can they become that good, of course. Some sites are better than others.

One of the other factors, which has been stated is that players with more college experience are more likely to get drafted earlier than Freshman, because of the lack of tape. That’s another reason why Kira is passing Cole in some mocks. I think Cole can easily be the better player, and I think he is right now. But security is something teams are looking for, and taking a guy like Vernon Carey, who plays similar to Okafor, is likely to fall.

I hope you found this useful, and if you have any questions let me know! I’ll turn on notifications for this feed.

2+
      bt102bt102
      bt102
      Participant

Stat Correction: Mannion was not negative. He was average. But Mannion was so bad defensively I don’t think he would get consistent minutes for at least a couple years.

OhCanada-
      Participant

About Vernon Carey Jr. Oak’s biggest issue wasn’t even his skillset tbh, he couldv’e carved out a very good role as a post dominant big. His biggest issue’s were his conditioning, work ethic and physical/mental health. Also they play nothing alike Oak is a post dominant big, if you take a closer look Carey has proven that at the college level he can space the floor, face up, post up, pick and roll and pick and pop. In my opinion he is the complete package offensively. He is also an underrated athlete. If I had any concerns on Vernon Carey Jr. it would be his lateral quickness and his true size as he is about 6-10. Guys that are 6’10 just don’t have the height, length to gaurd the Embiid’s, Jokic’s, Porzingis, Towns etc which are all the best big men. So if he can’t gaurd the big bigs and he can’t defend in space it’s an issue. Will he be able to defend in space and will he be able to defend the pick and roll? Although he is a very smart player so I think he will be fine. To me he projects to fit in immediately with a similar role as Thomas Bryant.

I like this years bigs but they all seem to be missing something. Really could see Oturu, Perry, Reed, Carey, Jalen Smith, Pokusevski, Nnaji as good prospects in the right fit and hope that the Raptors can snag one of these guys as their Center of the future and resigns Van Vleet.

And I’m not hating on Vassell or Williams I just think this is a very deep draft but I’ve got guys ahead of them.

1+
        bt102bt102
        bt102
        Participant

Yes Carey can shoot. Even then like Ballerscript said, not a smart player. It’s the other things like shot selection that really have scouts concerned. Like we’ve said, the center position is losing value, even though he can shoot the 3, on VERY Limited attempts, and has a usage of 31% which I’m almost certain won’t stick. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective and that hurts his stock a lot. Whereas someone like a Vassell or Williams, they don’t need the ball to be effective. You could make the same argument with Oturu as well. If this was maybe a decade ago, Oturu and Carey would probably be a consensus top 10 pick.

1+
          OhCanada-
          Participant

They should be able to adapt. to less post touches, more pick and roll/spot up shots. Once again my main c0oncern is how well will these guys defend pick and roll because they arent big enough to defend the games best centers. If they have no exceptional defensive trait its hard to be a starting C.

OhCanada-
          Participant

They should be able to adapt. to less post touches, more pick and roll/spot up shots. Once again my main concern is how well will these guys defend pick and roll because they arent big enough to defend the games best centers. If they have no exceptional defensive trait its hard to be a starting C.

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

this is 1 thing i love about this site is we can agree to disagree….Only Time will tell who was right & who was wrong….Alot of these ranking dont cme from gms..but instead from online sites…
    this site seems to rank guys that play well during the season very high…but they update its mock draft a few days before the draft….was it last year when aran nailed 11 of the 14 lottery picks or something like that?

Ranking Nico Mannion as the 2nd best passer in the draft wasnt just my opinion,but the from the scouting report of respected nba scout Mike Schmitz and a few other observers…..

unlike okafor ,carey has shown he can make 3s he didnt attempt that many,but shot 38% from beyond the arc…..cassius stanley stanley and cassius winston r2 guys people r sleeping on…..

there’s a guy name eugene german,a 6 foot guard that can get buckets in a hurry and a solid playmaker..he’s from northern illinois ,he might go undrafted,but could be the next kendrick nunn………

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

@ Rude boy

But even if I’m wrong I’m still right. For instance if Williams gets picked in the lottery by San Antonio and they dump all their resources in him eventually developing him into a fringe allstar type player but Reed gets picked 45th by Orlando rides the bench/G-League for a few years and is out of the league after his rookie contract I’ll still comeback and say “damn, if the Spurs picked him in the lottery or a team dumped resources into developing Reed he wouldv’e been a DPOY by now”. See. I’m always right.

1+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

i know Carey can shoot which is what does give me hope with him. There are also just other guys I like more. I don’t agree with Schmitz on Mannion being the second best passer. He’s good, but when Tyrese Haliburton can get more assists with worse teammates than Mannion, then yeah.

If Aran is his name, it was 2018 and that’s why he won. I started finding this site a few months before that draft, and I remember seeing Jerome Robinson at #13 and being so confused, and he was right. I think he actually only mixed up Bamba and Young.

Eugene German, I actually haven’t heard of him, but I’m not saying your wrong. I was super skeptical about Kendrick Nunn, and it did take him a year to develop though and guys like Nunn don’t come that often. Same could be said about JImmy Butler and Isaac Okoro too.

Looking between both your mocks, I love how Patrick Williams is 4th and the other he’s at #33. I have a friend who really likes him and really wants him on his Nets. The comparison I’ve found is Marcus Morris, which truthfully doesn’t warrant any of those options. i have him in the late teens early 20’s. But the fact he came off the bench and limited sample size could make him slide in the draft. It was also reported from, somewhere that a lot of teams like Williams which could make him go in the mid-late lottery.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Yeah I’m not sure how Aran does it. The guy gets so many picks right its ridiculous. He even won his own contest one year lmao. But he doesn’t have the picks right three months before the draft. The last two weeks things change dramatically and he eventually gets it down so I know for a fact the consensus picks we are currently mocking, they are going to change. This year should be interesting and will be the real test for Aran with the current pandemic workouts will be limited, there probably wont be any group “TEAM” workouts, the combine will likely be the big stage for alot of guys.

BallerScript
    Participant

Lot’s of interesting discussion points here so I thought I’d leave my 2 cents on some of the key points here.

I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with the consensus and most years my big board has some significant differences to my eventual mock draft. Part of the fun of making mock drafts for me comes from scouring the internet for rumours and combining that with draft logic to try and best predict what happens.

My thoughts on a few of the prospects you guy have mentioned:

Patrick Williams – I’d personally take him in the 12-16 range. His muscle imbalance is a little concerning and his jump shot is pretty stiff in catch and shoot situations, but those aside, he’s a promising prospect. Has multi-positional defensive potential, nice flashes of shot creation and a smoother pull-up J, hustle & energy on both ends plus he’s the youngest American available. Jeff Green is a comparison I thought of while watching film.

Vernon Carey Jr – I can see where you’re going with the Sabonis reference but I don’t think it’s plausible. Carey is in the 40-45 range for me. Doesn’t provide a whole lot of value at the NBA level and isn’t an overly intelligent player. Still likely he ends up being a first rounder but I won’t be surprised if he fizzles out.

Daniel Oturu – I’m slightly higher on Oturu. Bit more mobile on both ends and more of a reliable and versatile offensive option. I’d still take guys like Zeke Nnaji, Paul Reed and Xavier Tillman over him.

Cole Anthony – Cole Anthony is worth a late lotto pick in my eyes. I’m a fan of the Austin Rivers comparison for him. NBA spacing should suit him well and he could flourish as a spark plug in the league.

Kira Lewis – Lewis is in the same range as Cole for me. I’m more confident in Cole going forwards but Kira has some legitimate star potential. Whether he can become a more mature playmaker and fill out his frame are the two big questions for me. Looks the part of an NBA pick and roll initiator though.

Devin Vassell – I’m super high on Vassell as I have him at #2 on my board. Florida State didn’t feature him as a star in their offense just as a result of their playstyle but I still felt he had flashes of scoring upside and has a lot of untapped potential in that regard. Maybe the best team defender in the draft and could challenge Okoro for the title of best wing defender in the class overall. 2-way wings are a desired commodity in the league and probably the most valuable archetype there is.

Reggie Perry – I like Perry in the 25-35 range. Great rebounder and a talented perimeter game for someone of his height. His defense is concerning and I’m not completely sold on his scoring translating like you may be. Could be a great selection for a playoff team though.

James Wiseman – Wiseman is 5th on my big board and that is largely due to positional value as bt102 touched on earlier. Guys like Capela and Drummond got traded for very little this season and that is because centers of Wiseman’s skillset don’t hold a lot of value in comparison to some of the previously mentioned archetypes. Wiseman will likely be a great rebounder at the next level and could potentially be one of the league’s premier shot blockers, but in the meantime, he doesn’t have an elite offensive skill to hang his hat on and is likely to merely be a good starting centre with mediocre value and impact at the next level.

2+
      bt102bt102
      bt102
      Participant

Exactly with your points on Wiseman. It is hard to make mocks. I made a big board a few days ago, and Mannion was in the 50’s. I don’t think he is an NBA player personally, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see a role for him. I’m way higher than the consensus on Merrill and Childs. I also agree with your thoughts on Oturu. I’m not as high on Zeke so I’d probably have Oturu over him just because he can shoot and Zeke can’t play passible defense, but I agree with having Tilman and Reed over him easily.

I also like Vassell, I’m not #2 high. Maybe #5 for me, I just think with more NBA ready players should be higher, like Ball, Edwards, Hayes and Okongwu. I don’t think Vassell can play the 3 yet, but I think that could be his best position in a few years once that frame fills out more.

1+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Heh unless Wiseman is Jokic or Embiid… how does one pick a 7 footer #1???

2+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

Another one I’m seeing a lot of mixed opinions on his Theo Maledon. After his season this year, I’m almost certain he isn’t going in the lottery. I do know he was under used but he wasn’t really dominating. Yet I still see mocks with him in the lottery. I think there is a legitimate chance he falls out of the first round. I don’t think he will, but he could.

BallerScript
      Participant

I’m high on Maledon, got him 6th on my board. I think there is no way he falls past Milwaukee in the 18-20 range (depending on how Indy finish). Had an up and down year but still has the same upside that people loved the season before.

sirgm
    Participant

I can’t even imagine anyone looking at the difference between Ball and RJ Hampton and thinking they’re #2 and #24.
    Honestly, that is going to be a huge blunder. If you believe LaMelo is #2 you would have RJ in your top 5-10 at the latest, full stop, period.
    There isn’t much difference between these two kids, only hype. RJ has the tools to be a MUCH better player, can he live up to it? But LaMelo has the IT factor too. Does it mean so many positions in this draft?
    The thing is Cleveland won’t’ draft Ball, neither are the TWolves and Atlanta. Is he going to slip to Detroit? I would think so.
    This is the reason RJ won’t go this early as well, they don’t need PGs and when you have that position on lock you don’t typically select another one.
    If you’re Detroit, who do you pick out of Ball and RJ? It’s closer than you think. Is Ball all hype? Why has RJ’s hype died down? Someone is going to get a steal, or lose their job because everyone was looking at RJ previous to the season and he did what he needed to, but just didn’t get the clicks like LaMelo. So why is RJ so down?

bt102bt102
      bt102
      Participant

RJ is so far down, because he had a worse season than Ball. Stats also don’t translate great over from the NBL to the NBA. Look at Terrance Ferguson. The way Hampton played made scouts concerned about his star potential. That’s why.

Choppy
        Participant

With RJ, stats don’t tell the whole story. Ball had the starting PG at the Hawks go down with a season ending injury, giving him the opportunity to put up big numbers. If that doesn’t happen, it’s likely Ball’s numbers were similar, though slightly higher, than RJ’s.
        RJ showed professionalism in his time with the Breakers. He fit in with veteran teammates, didn’t pout when he didn’t get the minutes he probably would have liked, he played his role and he did so without complaint. It was a huge learning curve for him and I count his time in the NBL as a success. If scouts from NBA teams can’t see the value in RJ and the reasons his stats don’t look like Ball’s, then they’re not worth the money they’re paid. I have Hampton in the 9-14 range. In the late teens/early 20’s, he’s a steal.

OhCanada-
          Participant

What can he do other than attack the rim and defend. I’ve only seen highlights here and there, whats his value?

bt102bt102
            bt102
            Participant

I do agree with that Choppy. It is cautious to be weary of stats translating however. No point denying it, Hampton struggled, though I think the lesson he learned is that he’s not the main guy. Hampton was a top guy in High school so for someone like that to understand, is something you don’t see that often, and I think he comes into the league and plays better than someone like Achiwa who was the guy for Memphis. He also has a lot of Dante Exum’s game which is play defense with multiple positions. I think he could end up being what Dante Exum was supposed to be.

HIs value is mid-first round. Probably from 11-19 would be a good estimate. I could see him falling, but he played better than what Ferguson did over there and Terrance went 21. I’m really looking at Portland and Orlando for him. Orlando because they love defense and could use another ball handler. Portland, because I could see him stretching over to the 3, which Exum did at times for Utah. Portland also wouldn’t need him to contribute immediately. Boston would be another one, but I don’t see him falling that far. It would be great for Boston though.

1+
            Choppy
            Participant

I think he was playing his role. I’m certain he can do more than what he showed at the Breakers. But to determine if that’s true, well I guess that’s what scouts are paid for

bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

There is one other person that needs a mention in this feed.

I am at a complete loss to explain why Precious Achiuwa is projected in the lottery let alone top 10 by some people on this site. I feel very confident that if James Wiseman played all season, Precious wouldn’t even be in the draft. He was good defensively this season. But that is it! Offensively he was a mess. All the advanced stats offensively hated him, he can’t shoot and he can’t pass. He is a high usage big man that is way below average offensively. He’s just a plain black hole. Could be he become a good player, sure but I don’t see it with him. I have him in the late 20’s. I get the idea of a small ball 5 scenario which is what Memphis ran towards the end of the season, and I ultimately see that being the only place he can play in the NBA, but the fact he’s such a black hole that I’m not entirely sure its gonna matter. If he can learn to minimize that, then I could see him being at best someone like PJ Tucker.

Also on a side note, Ohcanada, your mock looks a lot better.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Thanks I’ve been working on it a bit here and there. I’ll make a thread pre-lottery and post-lottery when it’s ready still have to finish the second round.

Achiuwa’s solid in my opinion. Reminds me of Josh Smith, I think in todays NBA he will be able to switch 1-5 and could even give you minutes at Center. He was a consensus top 20 recruit for years before he committed to Memphis so its not like he just rode in on Wisemans fame.

bt102bt102
        bt102
        Participant

I know he didn’t ride with Wiseman’s fame. I do know he was a top recruit. But the Josh Smith comp doesn’t bode well. Josh Smith was an inefficient chucker. When the game favored that he looked like an all-star. After the game shifted away from him in Detroit, he fell out of the league. Precious is a chucker. His defense will probably be better than what Smith’s was in Detroit, but that’s not what you want in a lottery pick.

bt102bt102
          bt102
          Participant

Also, one other thing OhCanada. Filip Petrusev signed a pro deal with Serbia. Scottie Lewis withdrew, and I don’t think Ochai Agbaji out of Kansas even declared. Either way, he’s not in the draft.

OhCanada-
          Participant

Man…Josh Smith was one of the best defensive players in the league for a decade. He also was a very good playmaker. His scoring never really translated and he wasn’t a perfect player but to just label him a chucker was a bit harsh. Also who’s to say Achuiwa doesn’t develop into a more efficient role? The skillsets there he has a decent canvass to paint on the rest is up to the program developing him to guide him in the right direction.

1+
            bt102bt102
            bt102
            Participant

ok, maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I don’t see his shooting coming around and I don’t see him wanting to take too low of a usage. He could turn out, obviously. I don’t think so and a lot my friends don’t think so either. While he may have some tools, and there are teams like the Wizards and the Bulls who need defensive help in their lineups, there are just significantly better players in that area than him, like Devin Vassell, Onyeka Okongwu, and Isaac Okoro who would do better in those areas of teams. To me, he’s too big of a project and the upside for me isn’t high enough to be in the lottery. You can think he can, but I don’t.

But thanks for letting me know why you guys like him so much. I can see the comp, but I just don’t know how another version of Josh Smith would translate that well into the NBA

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login