This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Since I haven’t seen any comments yet on this deal in the forum I’ll offer my opinion.
    The warriors were rumored to look to move Russell almost as soon as they traded for him but I’m still kind of surprised at the timing of this trade. I was always under the impression that they were going to wait until the summer when they could potentially package him and there pick for a bigger star that could put them right back in the title chase (like Beal, towns, booker, etc.). Even though they got a decent haul for Russell, I think that likely puts them out of those discussions. The draft pick they got in 2021 or 2022 could wind up being very valuable, and it gives them more flexibility to pivot to a rebuild as their core starts to age.
    Wiggins was never going to be the player Minnesota drafted him to be, and they have to be thrilled to move on from his contract. But he’s still young and gets a fresh start in what should be a drastically different role in golden state. The warriors will probably try to use him in something of a souped up Harrison Barnes type of role from their first championship squad. It will definitely require some major rewiring but it’ll be interesting to see how it works.
    For the wolves, this deal was obviously about keeping towns happy, which has to be their number one priority at this time. He gets to play with a truly dynamic pg for the first time in his career, not to mention someone who he is friends with and wanted to play with. It cost them quite a bit and they are still likely a ways from contention, but they had to do whatever it took to make this happen. We’ll see where they go from here.

1+
    HobbyOG
    Participant

Warriors culture good enough for Wiggins to ball out and have the support he needs. He hasn’t been around a positive group of guys yet in his earlier career. This is good for him..

Good for the Wolves as well..a good duo in DLO and Kat, they like each other and both are very competitive..they still need another piece to be a decent team though.

1+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

I think its fair. Im actually more shocked about the report saying that the Warriors had already given up on Russell and were glad to take on the bloated Wiggins contract. I think Rosas earned a contract extension with what he did over the trade deadline. Losing Covington is tough, but was he gonna resign? Probably not.

1+
    r377r377
    r377
    Participant

If i was golden state i would of traded for covington’s $12 mill salary over Andrew Wiggins $30mill salary.

Capela $16mill salary would of been better for the Warriors

The Goat
    Participant

This gives the Warriors an athletic guy to run with. The price is too high, but perhaps the plan over this next stretch with everyone out is to give him so much ball and time that he looks really good, to the point where they can move him draft day. The real target is Giannis eventually. I’m sure they have eyes on other players too. If you hey moved D-Lo, no doubt they’ll do it again if necessary. I can see chatter impacting fan bases on a lot of great players regularly used as scapegoats – Simmons, Beal, DeRozan. Toronto will have space st the end of the Gasol, Ibaka deals too, so they may want to give him a run if he’s averaging 25+ with GS and engaged. I think the Warriors were sure D-Lo wasn’t the fit and got out while they could.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Toronto still has to resign those guys, and Van Vleet. Ibaka is one f the best bigs in the league in his prime. Much better player than Wiggins.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Everyone loved Wiggins at the beginning of the year before Minnesota started losing again. Finally leaves that terrible organization I think hes gonna do well. Much better fit than Russell.

Hitster
    Participant

Wiggins will be a good asset for GSW but is he really an intangibles player as he’d only be 3rd option in a full strength line up. But with the splash brothers having to be guarded then he’ll get a fair few looks.

Also if T-wolves don’t kick on next year then a top 10 pick for GSW in addition to a very good pick this year will enable some young blood to be added to the team.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login