This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar chrispaulwall 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

The Nets and Caris LeVert have agreed a 3 year $52.5 million extension. I think this is a good deal for Caris as he has had a number of injury issues and this deal will take him up until he is pushing 29. So it will give him long term financial security but also allow him another run at FA when he should be at his peak.

The Nets have also guarded against Caris having a very good year especially with KD out and if he put up nearer to 20ppg they could see him looking at a deal of over $25 million per year.

Caris and his people could have gambled and waited a year but there was a good offer on the table and they have decided to play safe. Caris was having a very good season before he got injured early on but returned and put up over 20ppg in the play offs. 

He will have better players around him going forward and can look forward to a few years on a competitive team, so a win-win for both sides IMO.

Striver347
    Participant

Agreed. He was the best player on the Nets before his injury and I think he’ll be on the verge of All Stardom this season once again. Great signing before he really explodes and outplays his price tag. Love the deal!

OhCanada-
    Participant

Great job by Leverts agent. That guy earned his money. Levert could very well be a value deal at 17 mil per year but Boogie will tell you gauranteed money is better than no money especially when your one injury away from being a serious risk in free agency.

CoachWyers
    Participant

I think they massively overpaid him.  3 year 24mil is what I would have offered he has yet to show he can stay healthy.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

He wouldn’t have took that. Would’ve had to risk going him going into restricted free agency next summer and potentially being forced to match a much bigger offer on the market or lose him for nothing. This shows they are committed to him as being part of their future. They are betting on him staying healthy but this could prove to be a bargain if he does and continues to improve. 

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

a few interesting tidbits- 1.his salary will have him ranked 15th amongst shooting guards in 2021.. 2.he will be 28 and still in his prime when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2023….

The Goat
    Participant

Great deal. Will form a tough big 3 with Kyrie and KD. Pretty much agree with every deal this Nets franchise has made during this rebuild. They’ve had a very good recovery from an absolute hellhole position of no draft picks and no chance of winning. The only thing I don’t get is the Deandre Jordan deal with Jarrett Allen already playing well as a young starter. 

high floor
    Participant

than evan fournier at 17mil per year for comparisons sake. Lavert showed out in the playoffs, which was really impressive considering the psychologic affects of his nasy ankler injury earlier in the year. He reminds me of a bigger Lou Williams with his shiftiness, floaters, ability to shoot off the dribble, and capably pass. He can rise a bit too, as I’ve seen multiple times Caris get up for dunks in traffic.

Could definitely average 19-21ppg this year with Durant out and defenses keying in more on Kyrie.

Good signing.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

They really didn’t have much choice. With what they are paying Durant, Irving, and Jordan, they cannot afford to see LaVert or Harris leave (Taurean Prince might play his way into that category this year) as they won’t be able to go out of house to add in free agency. If LaVert would have been allowed to leave next summer, his replacement would have been a late half of the first round draft pick (they have the protected Warriors and Sixers picks) or a tax-payer MLE. For all they did to position themselves to get Kevin Durant and give itself a chance at being a title contender in 2020-21, haggling over the difference between $13 million and $17 million per is stupid. Negotiating hard on Dinwiddie when there was (presumably) no assurances that Durant would come made sense, and they ended up getting him on favorable terms. Times have changed. They signed up for high stakes poker, so they shouldn’t be folding just because the numbers are big. They have positioned their roster (not to mention their stadium and revenue potential) to pay the tax and behave like a big market contender. Frankly, this move is less risky than swapping out Russell for Irving.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I think this is a good signing but the only question I have is that caris has generally been a guy throughout his career who needs to have the ball in his hands a lot to be effective. His numbers off the ball, particularly in spot up situations, haven’t been good. If he’s going to be effective playing alongside kyrie and Durant, he’s going to need to show a lot of growth in that area.  

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

Great deal for caris, not sure about the Nets.  The guy is injury prone so good deal for him.

Nets have 3 injury prone guys in Durant, Iriving and Levert. They need all their cards to come up trumps to have a chance at winning.

Levert was a great college player who slipped in the draft due to injury concerns.

Not sure how he could average 20ppg with Kyrie’s hero ball antics. Kyrie would have to go down injured for him to average 20ppg I reckon…

chrispaulwall
      Participant

kyries proven to be a willing passer, even this year in boston. i know the media wants you to believe he was the sole reason for boston’s downfall but he actually had an extremely efficient and effective season.

anyway, as far as caris, i love his game. glad he got this deal. you can just tell he can really play by the eye test. he’s gonna be so important for brooklyn and their ceiling when kd comes back

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login