This topic contains 28 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Dale Worthington 9 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Dale Worthington
    Participant

0 points, 0 rebounds, and 0 assists.

No coffee. Just steak knives.

This has been an alarming trend all year: Ben McLemore going AWOL/M.I.A. when the game matters most.

You can’t take a player #1 overall who fails to step up time and time in clutch situations.

And it’s not even a product of him stepping up and missing. The dude doesn’t even attempt to step up. Just runs and hides.

ShekiruBoom
    Participant

i’m not sure if we can go as far as saying he’s hiding from the pressure but he doesn’t have the ability to create shots for himself and just like many other wings who can’t create their own shot, they disappear for stretches until a teammate finds them for some points. i don’t know about you guys but i’m not taking a spot up shooter number 1 but then again who else to take lol

JoeWolf1

20 points in 16 minutes with Elijah Johnson on the bench. EJ back in the game, the offensive flow stops. Put him next to an NBA caliber PG and he’ll be fine. Running next to a turnover prone combo he’s bound to disappear.

HotSnot
      Participant

Great post.

In the last 16 minutes, where was Mclemores opportunity to score? Johnson and Releford were constantly attacking or shooting. Young got some transition baskets and Withey even got some touches down low. I didn’t see Bmac get the ball too often and when he did, he made the right play. Whats to complain about?

Malik-Universal
    Participant

man this draft is weak….. real weak

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

This was his chance to lock in the #1 spot, instead, he made it even more questionable.

By the way, what does “No coffee. Just steak knives.” mean?

Dale Worthington
      Participant
        Tongue-Out-Like-23
        Participant

I watched the first 45 seconds and it made me an instant believer that I must watch this movie. Is it any good? lmao

Dale Worthington
          Participant

I actually haven’t seen it, haha, but I plan on watching it this weekend. Got the “No coffee, just steak knives” reference from Dougie Gottlieb.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
            Participant

Sweet, I’ll probably watch it next week then lmao

Thanks!

Malik-Universal
    Participant

he really needs to improve his handle… hes not much of a creator off the dribble

Ghost01
    Participant

How about the fact they don’t run any plays for him? Or when they do, players like Elijah Johnson don’t even get him the ball? Listen, I agree McLemore isn’t aggressive enough. But They had a chance to win in regulation and a chance to tie/win in overtime, and they ran plays that didn’t include him getting the ball, when he’s clearly their best player. Johnson made continously terrible decisions and Tharpe wasn’t much better.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

That’s why he’d be a perfect fit for Minnesota. Think anybody would relinquish a top-3 pick for Derrick Williams? Him and Rubio would play extremely well together

tblazer_NZ
      Participant

They still have a shot at getting him if the lotto balls fall there way. I’m a Blazers fan but I would like him to go to Minny.
      I’m sure he would fit in perfectly with the corner offense there. Plus Kevin Love would be the First option so he would have the pressure to be the aggressor.

halfdecayed
    Participant

Shekiru, I’d honestly take Oladipo over him, he’s going to be a lockdown defender, has already better handles than Bmac, better slasher, obviously not the better shooter, but he’s had a better tourney anyway. .

Demarcus Oneal
    Participant

Ben McLemore scares me as a number one draft pic, it seems that when his jumpshot isn’t falling, he disappears in the game

Thepessimest
    Participant

Someone mentioned this already but there is a reason McLemore disappeared late in the game. There was a long stretch in the 2nd half where Bill Self had McLemore on the bench. I want to also add that this is when Michigan was able to come back. I also observed that McLemore is forced to score based upon the scraps given. When they started running him off pin downs and running plays for him to touch the ball his effectiveness went up. Truth be told McLemore a redshirt freshman is playing alongside 4 seniors and in the pecking order Bill Self appears to go to them late in games. The last play of the game was drawn up for the PG and it appeared that the call was for him to drive and kick it to a player circling back up to the top. Even in this situation McLemore was not involved in the play.

I think this kid has the tools to be very effective in the NBA. I would love to see him stay another year and learn the role of being “that guy” but he is gone. I hear his family situation is horrible. But I enjoy the “pace” at which he plays. Really let’s the game come to him.

And for a 10-15 minute span (when Kansas ran plays for him) he looked really good. Kansas and Self have been known not to be the best place for “guards” to go and shine because he runs a 3 out 2 in high low offense that features his big men first and yet McLemore looks really good.

Prio

ben is a very talented SG with few chances of create is own shoots,. He need a PG who can pass him the ball. BEN is now a CANNON who can shoot to the basket, but if no one put the bullet/ball in his hand, he can’t do his job….
    Give him a chances to develop his OWN shoot …
    Not #1pick for me in this Draft, but surely a Top 5pick!

Meditated States
    Participant

Cody Zeller failed too, kid needs to learn to up fake and shoot mid range J.

Cavaliers420
    Participant

I kinda of got the impression that the coach didn’t want Ben to touch the ball near the end of the game, the announcers kept bringing up how they thought he felt more comfortable with Johnson rather than McLemore. That may honestly say a lot about Ben as a player rather then if he can be clutch.

BasketballJunkie224
    Participant

if the ball was in bens hands at the end and he made a shot or got fouled everyone would be on the mcLemore bangwagon…and it couldve easily gone down like that

Lipstick
    Participant

To be fair, if I’m McLemore, I wouldn’t want to play with Elijah Johnson either.

BasketballJunkie224
    Participant

elijah johnson is a talent but i agree i wouldnt want to play with him either if i were ben mac. what he did yesterday was kinda like what angel rodrigues did from kansas st, minus the airball floater…which was probably better than kicking it to tharpe for an unneeded 3…they were down 2 SMH

Dale Worthington
    Participant

Sometimes I’m right. Sometimes I’m wrong. But, boy, was I right when it came to Benny McLemore.

What a bum. The young man has the killer instinct of Gandhi.

Put in Stauskas.

Dale Worthington
    Participant

Sometimes I’m right. Sometimes I’m wrong. But, boy, was I right when it came to Benny McLemore.

What a bum. The young man has the killer instinct of Gandhi.

Put in Stauskas.

benny15
      Participant

how long did it take you to find a thread you made 19 months ago? 

benny15
      Participant

how long did it take you to find a thread you made 19 months ago? 

Dale Worthington
        Participant

I just typed in ‘Ben McLemore Dale Worthington’ on Google and this was the first result. So a couple seconds. But it’s interesting how this thread really was from 19 months ago on the dot.

Dale Worthington
        Participant

I just typed in ‘Ben McLemore Dale Worthington’ on Google and this was the first result. So a couple seconds. But it’s interesting how this thread really was from 19 months ago on the dot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login