This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

This class looks solid so far this year… since this site has been asleep here, wondering what the collective consciousness on this rookie class looks like. I put together my top 10 rookies of this class so far, and here’s the order of my list is:

1 – Evan Mobley is playing amazing so far, showing glimpses of a younger Anthony Davis. He might be the most talented player in this draft. I see some growth in him every time I get a chance to watch him play.

2 – Scottie Barnes is playing out of his mind and living up to his draft stock hype. Siakam has been out and Barnes has really brought his game and flourished. He brings a lot to the table.

3 – Chris Duarte has stepped in and more than just been an immediate impact. He has a case for ROY if the season were ending today. As an older prospect, he still got picked pretty high. Well, so far it has really paid off.

4 – Jalen Green may not have the efficient numbers yet, as his %s are a bit low. However, he has a knack for scoring and his huge upside will get the youngster some usage. He also already has a 30 point game under his belt.

5 – Alperen Sengun gets his efficient stats in limited minutes. He does about everything on both ends of the floor. Once this kid stays out of foul trouble and the Rockets come off of tanking, he will cause problems for the league.

6 – Franz Wagner has been playing well at either F position and efficiently at both ends of the court. He has been getting some quality minutes and it shouldn’t drop off to much once Chuma Okeke and Johnathan Isaac are in the lineup.

7 – Josh Giddey has shown flashes of the hype, as he is good with the rock and moving it around. The biggest challenge for Giddey is his FT% for now. If he improves that he can become really good.

8 – Jalen Suggs has been getting usage and has been a scrappy defender. Ultimately he is still feeling the game and gradually improving. His shooting and decision making will come together, but expect a later month bloom.

9 – Trey Murphy has had some rotational usage on a nightly basis because of his shooting range. He shoots well from beyond the arc and the FT line. He has trouble finishing though and needs to improve his FG%.

10 – Davion Mitchell has the usage so far in Sacramento to make this list. He has had his shooting struggles, especially from the FT line where he’s a liability. On the other hand, his good decision making and tough defense has been well apparent.

HONERABLE MENTION:

Herbert Jones has shown he can get some minutes on the regular
    Nah’Shon Hyland does good in limited minutes
    Cade Cunningham obviously just doesn’t have games under his belt, but he will do it all.

What’s your top 10 look like, or what’s your thoughts???

2+
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Not sure how sustainable it is long-term but what Cleveland is doing so far this season in starting 3 bigs (Mobley, markannen, Allen) all over 7 feet is interesting to say the least. This has actually meant Mobley is spending a decent chunk of time guarding wings on the perimeter rather than banging with bigs in the paint. This probably saves him from some of the physical punishment until his frame fills out more and allows him to develop his feel for defending in space more. Probably isn’t optimal for the future but so far the results have been somewhat encouraging.

2+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Not sure how sustainable that is either, but I know it would be way harder nailing a 3 ball over Mobley than some traditional wing defender or taking it to the hole… Mobley gets away with guarding smaller players because he has that footwork speed to do so.

1+
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

1.Barnes-
    2.Modley
    3.Duarte
    4.Green
    5.Wagner
    6.Giddey
    7.Sengun
    8.Suggs
    9.Mitchell
    10.Zaire Williams

Yeah this Rookie Class have been extremely Impressive…Whats more impressive is that so many of them are very good on both sides of the ball..Mobley is leading the nba in contested shots on defense..Barnes so far has 19 deflections for 20th in the league..Even Green who shooting numbers are terrible,22% fg & 9% from 3 on 7 attempts a game..But he’s still contributing on defense..

We are only 8 games into the season right now Barnes,Mobley,Duarte are my top 3..Just wait until around all star break when guys like Green,Cade,Moody and Kuminga get use to the speed of the game..
    Zaire Williams ,The Grizzlies are bringing him along slowly.He looks like a young Paul George…When the Cavs played Charlotte the other day Charlotte broadcasters constantly praised on Mobley’s defensive iq for a rookie,maybe a little too much praise, according to Hornets fans on Twitter.
    I Live in Orlando and in the past i only attended their games when a superstar player came to town.But these youngsters on the Magic got me excited for the future.I expected Franz Wagner to be a nice player off the bench..But he has all star potential… How Long will it take before Houston realize Green nor Porter are not point guards? Oh Nevermind Rockets r trying to lose games!!

1+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Usage isn’t a factor in ranking my rookies. That being said, Davion, Duarte, Suggs, and Mobley are my favorites so far

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Obviously as a Raptors fan I can say Barnes has been spectacular. He’s also been unselfish to a fault. Nurse can be seen on the sidelines urging him to be more aggressive offensively throughout the games so we haven’t quite seen him at his peak rookie form just yet.

Yeah Barnes is amazing…but we know that. Dalano Banton has been a bit of a surprise. I expected him to be a G League project but he’s been an X Factor type player for Toronto off the bench. He took Goran Dragic and Malachi Flynn’s minutes in the rotation right away and every time he gets on the floor he makes something good happen. Im not just saying that either, its an immediate impact. He gets subbed in and 30 seconds gets a steal or a block or deflection leading to a bucket. Happens every game. He’s been poised and efficient, his rookie season so far has been very similar to Shaun Livingston’s GSW days. Except he’s taller and longer, plus still has his athleticism.

Unfortunately Nurse is determined to play Fred Van Vleet 40 minutes+ every game so Banton hasn’t gotten much run but he is definitely a player to watch out for. I dont want to understate this at all, Banton’s potential is really elite.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login