This topic contains 52 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar canesboy6 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    mrknowitall313
    Participant

Every since the “Big Three” was formed in Miami I have heard a lot of ppl (haters) talk about how their roster wont be able to get it done and they wont have any “chemistry”. Everybody seems to forget about the 08 champions celtics whose Big Three had an almost identical roster imo

Point Guards
    Rajon Rondo, Sam Cassell
    Shooting Guards
    Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Eddie House, Gabe Pruitt
    Small Forwards
    Paul Pierce, James Posey
    Power Forwards
    Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Leon Powe, P.J. Brown
    Centers
    Kendrick Perkins, Scot Pollard

The Heat
    Point Guards
    Mario Chalmers, Carlos Arroyo, Patrick Beverley
    Shooting Guards
    Dwyane Wade, Eddie House
    Small Forwards
    LeBron James, Mike Miller, James Jones
    Power Forwards
    Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, Juawan Howard
    Centers
    Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jamal Magloire

And remember the celtics were brings all new guys in except for perkins, rondo, and pierce, t. allen. Bron and Big Z have played together. Wade, Jones, Haslem, Chalmers, Anthony were already there. Miami big three is better than bostons big three and younger. another point is that only person on that 08 boston team that had a ring was cassell. hell nobody had ever been to the finals except him too. The Heat has 2 champions one being one of their stars and james has been to a finals at least. We are about to witness a dynasty like no other (in my jay z voice) lol

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

There are A LOT of differences.

1. Pierce, Allen and Garnett vs Wade, LeBron and Bosh

– Boston’s Big Three were all slightly past their primes and no longer able to carry a team deep into the playoffs by themselves. They were desperate for a ring and I think that helped their chemistry… They were veterans who were hungry. LeBron and Wade are two alpha dogs who are still in their primes and more than able to carry a team by themselves. Bosh is still in his prime as well and considers himself a legit franchised player. They have a lot of chemistry to develop.

Boston’s Big Three complimented each other very well. It’s still remains to be seen how LeBron compliments Wade or vice versa because they have very similar skill sets. Bosh also isn’t the defender or all-around player that KG was.

2. Supporting cast

– Boston’s supporting cast was better. Rajon Rondo. James Posey. Leon Powe. Big Baby. Kendrick Perkins. Tony Allen. PJ Brown. That team was full of dogs. They were hungry and tough… Had a physical mentality. You can’t say that about Miami’s supporting cast.

3. Defense

– That Boston team was one of the greatest defensive teams I’d seen in a long time. This Miami team doesn’t really have a lot of size in the front court. Joel Anthony is very good defensively, but very undersized. Alonzo Mourning isn’t walking through that door.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

There are A LOT of differences.

1. Pierce, Allen and Garnett vs Wade, LeBron and Bosh

– Boston’s Big Three were all slightly past their primes and no longer able to carry a team deep into the playoffs by themselves. They were desperate for a ring and I think that helped their chemistry… They were veterans who were hungry. LeBron and Wade are two alpha dogs who are still in their primes and more than able to carry a team by themselves. Bosh is still in his prime as well and considers himself a legit franchised player. They have a lot of chemistry to develop.

Boston’s Big Three complimented each other very well. It’s still remains to be seen how LeBron compliments Wade or vice versa because they have very similar skill sets. Bosh also isn’t the defender or all-around player that KG was.

2. Supporting cast

– Boston’s supporting cast was better. Rajon Rondo. James Posey. Leon Powe. Big Baby. Kendrick Perkins. Tony Allen. PJ Brown. That team was full of dogs. They were hungry and tough… Had a physical mentality. You can’t say that about Miami’s supporting cast.

3. Defense

– That Boston team was one of the greatest defensive teams I’d seen in a long time. This Miami team doesn’t really have a lot of size in the front court. Joel Anthony is very good defensively, but very undersized. Alonzo Mourning isn’t walking through that door.

MagikKnick
    Participant

If anyone has experience playing with three superstars it’s Eddie House.

House played for the Celtics when they added Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to play alongside Paul Pierce. Boston won the NBA championship the first season following the additions.

He is now a member of a Heat, who signed LeBron James and Chris Bosh to play with Dwyane Wade this summer.

“I compare it to the year I went to Boston when the Big 3 got together in 2007,” House said. “But this is going to be even bigger. This is going to be Boston on steroids.”

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68804/20100822/house_calls_miamis_big_three_boston_on_steroids/

MagikKnick
    Participant

If anyone has experience playing with three superstars it’s Eddie House.

House played for the Celtics when they added Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to play alongside Paul Pierce. Boston won the NBA championship the first season following the additions.

He is now a member of a Heat, who signed LeBron James and Chris Bosh to play with Dwyane Wade this summer.

“I compare it to the year I went to Boston when the Big 3 got together in 2007,” House said. “But this is going to be even bigger. This is going to be Boston on steroids.”

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68804/20100822/house_calls_miamis_big_three_boston_on_steroids/

dwat4444
    Participant

I’m not saying the heat aren’t going to be good, but i don’t think it will be right away and heres why:
    1.)Rondo and Perk are clearly better role players than anyone on the heat’s roster. Chalmers and Anthony dont really fit with the superstars. Rondo was a passer and Perk was a defensive beast. Anthony nor chalmers play strong D, and Chalmers definetly doesn’t have the playmaking to pass to his teammates like Rondo did. Distribution b/w the 3 was key and will be for Miami. Bringing me to my next point…
    2.)One of boston’s big 3 was Ray Allen, a pure shooter. 90% of his offense happens without the ball in his hands, and the team running other stuff. Miami’s big 3 all create offense for themselves off the dribble, or on the block. If they can learn to play off eachother, then they’ll be great, but if its all 1on1 offense, they’re going to become stagnant offensively.
    3.)Boston dominated the post on defense. KG won DPOY for a reason in 08, and we all know Perk is a mean man down low. Do you really think Bosh and Anthony/Ilgauskas can handle any opposing front line? No.
    4.)You mentioned that Miami’s big 3 was younger, and i agree that can help them form a longer dynasty BUT, how hungry are they? Bostons 3 were animals in the post season, they knew it was their last chance and they went all out. Do you really see that happening for Miami? They have the talent to be a great regular season team, but not the veteran hunger to dominate in the playoffs.

dwat4444
    Participant

I’m not saying the heat aren’t going to be good, but i don’t think it will be right away and heres why:
    1.)Rondo and Perk are clearly better role players than anyone on the heat’s roster. Chalmers and Anthony dont really fit with the superstars. Rondo was a passer and Perk was a defensive beast. Anthony nor chalmers play strong D, and Chalmers definetly doesn’t have the playmaking to pass to his teammates like Rondo did. Distribution b/w the 3 was key and will be for Miami. Bringing me to my next point…
    2.)One of boston’s big 3 was Ray Allen, a pure shooter. 90% of his offense happens without the ball in his hands, and the team running other stuff. Miami’s big 3 all create offense for themselves off the dribble, or on the block. If they can learn to play off eachother, then they’ll be great, but if its all 1on1 offense, they’re going to become stagnant offensively.
    3.)Boston dominated the post on defense. KG won DPOY for a reason in 08, and we all know Perk is a mean man down low. Do you really think Bosh and Anthony/Ilgauskas can handle any opposing front line? No.
    4.)You mentioned that Miami’s big 3 was younger, and i agree that can help them form a longer dynasty BUT, how hungry are they? Bostons 3 were animals in the post season, they knew it was their last chance and they went all out. Do you really see that happening for Miami? They have the talent to be a great regular season team, but not the veteran hunger to dominate in the playoffs.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I never had a lot of doubt that Boston’s Big Three would work… Here’s why:

1. KG. He’d ALWAYS been willing to take a backseat sort of role. Despite his talent, he always had the mentality of a superstar role player to me. I knew he’d be OK with defending, rebounding and playing off of another player. I knew he’d embrace that role.

2. Ray Allen. He didn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective and was one of the greatest shooters in the league. He could play off of either Pierce or Garnett.

3. Pierce. He was that do it all player, BUT had a complete game. He could isolate and go one on one, or play off the ball. Mid-Range game. Post up game. He could create for others. He outplayed Kobe Bryant in the Finals.

I have my doubts about Miami’s Big Three until I see them play. Wade and LeBron have similar skill-sets and are both ball dominant. Bosh isn’t the defender or all-around player that KG was.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I never had a lot of doubt that Boston’s Big Three would work… Here’s why:

1. KG. He’d ALWAYS been willing to take a backseat sort of role. Despite his talent, he always had the mentality of a superstar role player to me. I knew he’d be OK with defending, rebounding and playing off of another player. I knew he’d embrace that role.

2. Ray Allen. He didn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective and was one of the greatest shooters in the league. He could play off of either Pierce or Garnett.

3. Pierce. He was that do it all player, BUT had a complete game. He could isolate and go one on one, or play off the ball. Mid-Range game. Post up game. He could create for others. He outplayed Kobe Bryant in the Finals.

I have my doubts about Miami’s Big Three until I see them play. Wade and LeBron have similar skill-sets and are both ball dominant. Bosh isn’t the defender or all-around player that KG was.

mrknowitall313
    Participant

Rondo became a good player by playing with the big three. Can honestly say that every player on the heat’s roster with be a lil better because lebron, wade, and bosh. they will get a lot of open shots and open dunks. anthony can be that defensive stopper. he had an avg. of 1.4 blks per game last year. both james and wade are better on the ball defenders that allen and pierce imo. they have spot up shooters and house, jones, miller. they will outscore 90% of the league with ease. all three players will never have an off game at the same time. and to the person that said something about rondo’s playmaking who would you rather have running your offense rondo or james?

mrknowitall313
    Participant

Rondo became a good player by playing with the big three. Can honestly say that every player on the heat’s roster with be a lil better because lebron, wade, and bosh. they will get a lot of open shots and open dunks. anthony can be that defensive stopper. he had an avg. of 1.4 blks per game last year. both james and wade are better on the ball defenders that allen and pierce imo. they have spot up shooters and house, jones, miller. they will outscore 90% of the league with ease. all three players will never have an off game at the same time. and to the person that said something about rondo’s playmaking who would you rather have running your offense rondo or james?

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Joel Anthony is a poor man’s Ben Wallace. He’s a good defensive player who hustles, but he’s not a defensive stopper. He doesn’t have enough size. He’d get killed by Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

I know you like the Heat, but let’s be realistic. Who in their front court is going to stop Dwight Howard or Bynum/Gasol?

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Joel Anthony is a poor man’s Ben Wallace. He’s a good defensive player who hustles, but he’s not a defensive stopper. He doesn’t have enough size. He’d get killed by Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

I know you like the Heat, but let’s be realistic. Who in their front court is going to stop Dwight Howard or Bynum/Gasol?

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Howard is not dominant enough for me to even think he could win a series by himself.

On the flipside- Who has the wings to stop LeBron and Wade?

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Howard is not dominant enough for me to even think he could win a series by himself.

On the flipside- Who has the wings to stop LeBron and Wade?

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

“Howard is not dominant enough for me to even think he could win a series by himself.”

What happened to Cleveland in 2008-09? They had no one to defend Howard. Howard got whatever he wanted against Zydrunas Illgauskas. He either scored one on one or made open passes to teammates when he was double teamed. They had no answer for him.

Boston was able to beat Orlando because they had the size to defend Howard and didn’t double him. Miami doesn’t have a Kendrick Perkins or Rasheed Wallace, both of whom defends Howard one on one very well.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

“Howard is not dominant enough for me to even think he could win a series by himself.”

What happened to Cleveland in 2008-09? They had no one to defend Howard. Howard got whatever he wanted against Zydrunas Illgauskas. He either scored one on one or made open passes to teammates when he was double teamed. They had no answer for him.

Boston was able to beat Orlando because they had the size to defend Howard and didn’t double him. Miami doesn’t have a Kendrick Perkins or Rasheed Wallace, both of whom defends Howard one on one very well.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

My opinion, Orlando won that series because Cleveland couldn’t stop Rashard Lewis and Hedo. There’s a reason why Orlando took a step back in everyone’s mind when they swapped Carter for Hedo. I think overall, Howard did very well but they would not have won that series without Hedo.

Boston defeated Orlando because Wallace ALWAYS had the matchup advantage over Howard and Vince Carter dissapeared

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

My opinion, Orlando won that series because Cleveland couldn’t stop Rashard Lewis and Hedo. There’s a reason why Orlando took a step back in everyone’s mind when they swapped Carter for Hedo. I think overall, Howard did very well but they would not have won that series without Hedo.

Boston defeated Orlando because Wallace ALWAYS had the matchup advantage over Howard and Vince Carter dissapeared

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Lol… Why do you think Lewis was getting those open looks?

It’s because Howard was dominating every big on the Cavs. They had no answer for him. They had to make a choice… Either let him score/dunk, foul him or double him and hope to make the rotation on the shooter.

Howard had FORTY points and 14 rebounds in game six. He dominated that series.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Lol… Why do you think Lewis was getting those open looks?

It’s because Howard was dominating every big on the Cavs. They had no answer for him. They had to make a choice… Either let him score/dunk, foul him or double him and hope to make the rotation on the shooter.

Howard had FORTY points and 14 rebounds in game six. He dominated that series.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

He had a great series but I still don’t think Orlando would have won that series without Hedo.

Hedo’s games

Game 1- 15 points, 14 assists, 6 rebounds
    Game 2- 21 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds
    Game 3- 13 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists
    Game 4- 15 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists
    Game 5- 29 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists
    Game 6- 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists

I think Howard had a good series but Hedo to me, had great games in all 6.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

He had a great series but I still don’t think Orlando would have won that series without Hedo.

Hedo’s games

Game 1- 15 points, 14 assists, 6 rebounds
    Game 2- 21 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds
    Game 3- 13 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists
    Game 4- 15 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists
    Game 5- 29 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists
    Game 6- 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists

I think Howard had a good series but Hedo to me, had great games in all 6.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Do me a favor and post Howard’s stats from those games.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Do me a favor and post Howard’s stats from those games.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Sure

1- 30p- 13r
    2- 10p- 18r
    3- 24p- 9r
    4- 27p- 14r
    5- 24p- 10r
    6- 40p- 14r

I’m agreeing with you, Howard had a great series. My feeling is I don’t think Orlando wins without Hedo. They wouldn’t have won without Howard of course but I think Hedo was great in that series too. To the effect that I think no Hedo, Cleveland would have won because they didn’t have to worry about 2 6-10 shooters with one being to play a little inside and the other being a solid playmaker.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Sure

1- 30p- 13r
    2- 10p- 18r
    3- 24p- 9r
    4- 27p- 14r
    5- 24p- 10r
    6- 40p- 14r

I’m agreeing with you, Howard had a great series. My feeling is I don’t think Orlando wins without Hedo. They wouldn’t have won without Howard of course but I think Hedo was great in that series too. To the effect that I think no Hedo, Cleveland would have won because they didn’t have to worry about 2 6-10 shooters with one being to play a little inside and the other being a solid playmaker.

billyk
    Participant

Howard isnt going to be enought to handle a Wade, James, Bosh combo… He might ge into foul trouble playing aganist a attack lead by these three gifted offensive players… I think the Heat would force Howard to beat them at the free throw line.. BTW, Chalmers and Anthony would play prefectly with the Heat trio… Chalmers is a very good spot up three point shooter and Anthony will fill the much needed garbage mans role…

billyk
    Participant

Howard isnt going to be enought to handle a Wade, James, Bosh combo… He might ge into foul trouble playing aganist a attack lead by these three gifted offensive players… I think the Heat would force Howard to beat them at the free throw line.. BTW, Chalmers and Anthony would play prefectly with the Heat trio… Chalmers is a very good spot up three point shooter and Anthony will fill the much needed garbage mans role…

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

@Mr.Knick 32

I’m mad you didn’t post his OFF rebounds, blocks, etc lol. Howard dominated that series. Whether it was scoring, getting his team second/third possesions, blocking shots or just literally closing down the inside.

I agree with you. Hedo had a great series (LeBron should’ve been defending him), but the man on that team is and will always be… Dwight Howard. To say he can’t dominate a series is silly.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

@Mr.Knick 32

I’m mad you didn’t post his OFF rebounds, blocks, etc lol. Howard dominated that series. Whether it was scoring, getting his team second/third possesions, blocking shots or just literally closing down the inside.

I agree with you. Hedo had a great series (LeBron should’ve been defending him), but the man on that team is and will always be… Dwight Howard. To say he can’t dominate a series is silly.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

What I mean by win a series is he wins it by himself.

Do you think Orlando can feed the ball into Howard 35 times for 7 games a time and win a series? I don’t to be honest. I think this Orlando team can beat Miami overall.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

What I mean by win a series is he wins it by himself.

Do you think Orlando can feed the ball into Howard 35 times for 7 games a time and win a series? I don’t to be honest. I think this Orlando team can beat Miami overall.

the I in win
    Participant

Dwight can’t dominate offensively if you have a big center that isn’t completely terrible. If they pick up Dampier Howard will do good but not great unless he has finally developed (dont hold your breath). Besides If Dwight gets 30 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks does that compensate for the complete perimeter domination by the Heat?

Also in clutch situations you can’t go to Howard, they will just foul him everytime he gets the ball close to the paint.

the I in win
    Participant

Dwight can’t dominate offensively if you have a big center that isn’t completely terrible. If they pick up Dampier Howard will do good but not great unless he has finally developed (dont hold your breath). Besides If Dwight gets 30 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks does that compensate for the complete perimeter domination by the Heat?

Also in clutch situations you can’t go to Howard, they will just foul him everytime he gets the ball close to the paint.

mattholdenbrown
    Participant

“hell nobody had ever been to the finals except him too.” garnett had been to the finals too. James posey had a ring. Check ur sources

mattholdenbrown
    Participant

“hell nobody had ever been to the finals except him too.” garnett had been to the finals too. James posey had a ring. Check ur sources

dwat4444
    Participant

I remember last year saying that orlando had no chance of going back to the finals with out hedo, i now take my bow and walk into the distance…

dwat4444
    Participant

I remember last year saying that orlando had no chance of going back to the finals with out hedo, i now take my bow and walk into the distance…

andxxx
    Participant

I dont think the Heat defense is going to be a problem im pretty sure they were a top 5 def in the league last year and I know Dwade and lebron can be ball dominant but i see lebron taking a magic johnson type role in the offense with him being mainly a facilitator and bosh workin in the post.

I think Bosh’s value is severely underated he was always the main scorer and rebounder with toronto and was playing out of position and now that hes not the main guy but the third guy I feel he will now be able to focus more on defense. Paul pierce’s defense improved a lot once KG and allen were added to the team

andxxx
    Participant

I dont think the Heat defense is going to be a problem im pretty sure they were a top 5 def in the league last year and I know Dwade and lebron can be ball dominant but i see lebron taking a magic johnson type role in the offense with him being mainly a facilitator and bosh workin in the post.

I think Bosh’s value is severely underated he was always the main scorer and rebounder with toronto and was playing out of position and now that hes not the main guy but the third guy I feel he will now be able to focus more on defense. Paul pierce’s defense improved a lot once KG and allen were added to the team

mrknowitall313
    Participant

when did garnett make it to the finals b4 he went to the celtics? and who did james posey win one with b4 the celtics???

mrknowitall313
    Participant

when did garnett make it to the finals b4 he went to the celtics? and who did james posey win one with b4 the celtics???

stealsgalore
    Participant

Almost no team can match up defensively with the wings of the heat.

One team that can is the Lakers, I’m not saying Artest and Kobe are going to shut down James and Wade but they do match up with them defensively.

stealsgalore
    Participant

Almost no team can match up defensively with the wings of the heat.

One team that can is the Lakers, I’m not saying Artest and Kobe are going to shut down James and Wade but they do match up with them defensively.

mrknowitall313
    Participant

i can name every team that went to the finals from 2000 on you tell me if you see the wolves.

lakers pacers
    lakers 76ers
    lakers nets
    spurs nets
    lakers pistons
    spurs pistons
    mavs heat
    spurs cavs
    lakers celtics
    lakers magic
    lakers celtics

and i forgot that posey was on that heat team

mrknowitall313
    Participant

i can name every team that went to the finals from 2000 on you tell me if you see the wolves.

lakers pacers
    lakers 76ers
    lakers nets
    spurs nets
    lakers pistons
    spurs pistons
    mavs heat
    spurs cavs
    lakers celtics
    lakers magic
    lakers celtics

and i forgot that posey was on that heat team

mrknowitall313
    Participant

kg had made one conference finals b4 then in 2004 losing to the lakers
    ray had made it once too in 2001 losing to the 76ers
    pierce had made it to the conference finals once too losing to the nets

mrknowitall313
    Participant

kg had made one conference finals b4 then in 2004 losing to the lakers
    ray had made it once too in 2001 losing to the 76ers
    pierce had made it to the conference finals once too losing to the nets

mrknowitall313
    Participant

y do ppl keep mentioning wallace do u see him on that roster from 2008? no he came last year and they lost. they only had perkins davis powe and brown back then. anthony, big z, maglorie and howard can equal what they did easy.

mrknowitall313
    Participant

y do ppl keep mentioning wallace do u see him on that roster from 2008? no he came last year and they lost. they only had perkins davis powe and brown back then. anthony, big z, maglorie and howard can equal what they did easy.

canesboy6
    Participant

It all depends on Chemistry. I wouldn’t be suprised if they are just as good, and I would say that the hunger factor definately doesnt just apply to Boston. I wouldn’t say that there is anybody who needs a ring more than Lebron right now. They have vets like Juwan Howard and Z on thier last leg, needing a ring, and Mike Miller and Bosh would like one too im sure.

They have the individual talent to match that Celtics team but they also have an Azzclown coach at the moment. WHEN, not if, Riley takes over, they will have one of the best in the business on the sideline.

The other variable is that the Lakers are alot better than they were then, and have 2 solid options against Lebron in Artest and Barnes.

canesboy6
    Participant

It all depends on Chemistry. I wouldn’t be suprised if they are just as good, and I would say that the hunger factor definately doesnt just apply to Boston. I wouldn’t say that there is anybody who needs a ring more than Lebron right now. They have vets like Juwan Howard and Z on thier last leg, needing a ring, and Mike Miller and Bosh would like one too im sure.

They have the individual talent to match that Celtics team but they also have an Azzclown coach at the moment. WHEN, not if, Riley takes over, they will have one of the best in the business on the sideline.

The other variable is that the Lakers are alot better than they were then, and have 2 solid options against Lebron in Artest and Barnes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login