This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by r377r377 r377 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    franfran
    Participant

Why will you have such disgust for Harrison Barnes? why can notbe number 1 draft pick? he’s still the same guy who was in high school, he still has the same potential, and though it cost a bit moreon to become an NBA star.

Many players like Grant Hill, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, BrandonRoy Rajon Rondo did not have a stellar freshman season but hadpotential and see how far they have come.

If you have to draft this year and rooting for the number 1.

LAKE SHOW

Because no matter what you do in HS you have to produce once you get to college. And none of players you named were number 1 picks either. its alot easier to dominate HS when the players arent as tall,strong, quick or as athletic as you are.  This year is pretty weak as far as franchise players.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

"This year is pretty weak as far as franchise players."

IMO Jared Sullinger would be the safest pick to build a franchise around.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

No, none of them were number 1 picks, but some of them maybe should have been. Grant Hill, VC or Pierce, Brandon Roy. It is true, you should show you can contribute, but I would not be surprised if Harrison Barnes becomes just as good as some of the players currently ranked ahead of him on draft boards. I would say he should still be a top 10 pick in THIS years draft, and if he stays I see him being possibly top 3-5 with continued improvement.

LAKE SHOW

I wouldnt be surprised either. I still think he has potential and a nice skill set. this years draft will mirror 2007 ( is that the year Barnani was the number one pick) in which someone has to go number one

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

His freshman year numbers are very similar to Paul Pierce and playing in the same Roy Williams system. Barnes had a really rough seven game stretch, but he has found his equilibrium on a young, deep, and balanced team. He isn’t playing selfishly trying to be a star or impress scouts. Whether people realize this or not, he is still one of the highest producing freshmen in the ACC, and North Carolina is 14-5. Did anyone see UNC last year, that is major improvement.

People cheer for saviors and don’t want reality. You get a lot of nonsense like what was written about Michael Beasley or Hassan Whiteside when they were freshmen. Barnes isn’t going to step into the NBA next year and be a savior, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good.

Moon River
    Participant

He looked very good down the stretch for the Heels last night and hit some clutch shots, including the game winner.  I would love to see the Bulls get him with Charlotte’s pick in the first round in 2011.

midwestbbscout
    Participant

Grant Hill didn’t have a stellar freshman season…..he started for the national champions and was probably the third option on that team and the second option was pretty much a distributor…..if he didn’t have the National POY on his team he would murder Barnes’ numbers….the difference between the 2 is that Barnes IS the #1 option on the team and their record reflects that…..I don’t think he will be a bad pro, just not worthy of a number one overall pick…..

apb540
    Participant

I don’t think that UNC has a #1 option right now.  As BTPH said, it’s a balanced team and no one has really stepped up to dominate on the offensive side yet, but it’s clear that when Barnes wants to he can.  I wish they would give him more touches per game. 

LAKE SHOW

Yeah i don’t think they have a number one option and UNC has been better then some people think. They are pretty balanced

jjonz
    Participant

who knows how good he can be. Sometimes College rules & team play restrict a player from being who they could become in the L. Also, coming from a small town maybe he has to adjust to a bigger place, Try to live up to Your expectations of Him. I hope he uses criticisim to his advantage, & it motivates him. My only ? is how athletic is he, can he improve on his athleticisim. Because this is the Jewel that matters @ the next level.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Hit it right on the head again. Also, the draft you were thinking of was 2006 Quincey, but I got what you were saying. The number one pick could go a number of ways, but the speculation of this draft has shaped up to be slightly different with the number of people fighting for the first spot. It is almost like 2001, with Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Shane Battier and (should have been) Pau Gasol. Their was a lot of questions leading up to that year about a first pick. I also thought it could be like 1999, with maybe 3 guys fighting to go first. I thought the scenario could be Sullinger as Elton Brand, Irving as Steve Francis and Perry Jones III as Lamar Odom. They are all very different from those players, but it could be the same scenario, as in they are all fighting for that number 1 spot coming up to the draft.

It would be very risky to take Harrison Barnes at 1 right now, but he has a great chance to be as good as anyone in this draft. Sullinger and Irving seem like sure things, both have prototypical size and skill for their respective positions. For everyone who questions Sullinger, he is very skilled and I think the comparisons thrown around with him tend to be dead on. He is incredibly strong and has a great skill set and high basketball IQ. He is a coaches son and he seems to have a good attitude and work ethic. Irving is just flat out impressive, he was killing it before he went down and his court sense is fantastic. Perry Jones is incredibly rare as a specimen, though you would like to see him be a lot more consistent and maybe show a higher motor. But, with his size and athleticism, he has the highest ceiling of all three players, the question is desire and only time will tell.

Harrison Barnes’ numbers are quite similar to that of Paul Pierce, but the two are very different players and I think Barnes can only dream about having the success Paul has enjoyed in the NBA. But, a lot of players used to be nervous about playing for Roy, as he plays from the inside out and players usually have a difficult time contributing for him immediately on the wing. Like BTPH said, NC has really had a turnaround from last season, which is impressive with the early season hiccups that had some people thinking NIT. Barnes has seemed to be gaining some confidence and hopefully his shooting percentages will rise as he continues to be more aggressive. I think he made the right choice with UNC, and he more than likely will make huge strides if he were to stay next year. In this years draft class, I think the closest thing to a "franchise player" would be Kyrie Irving. Everyone else is a wildcard, and honestly I think Irving could be as well. Their are a lot of players in this draft who I do think will be solid NBA players though, and I think if Barnes enters, he is one of them.

lalaila
    Participant

Harrison WITH OUT question could end up as the best player from the class..but that’s why NBA DRAFT is so interesting because gms know it but there is still almost no chances he would be #1 with that type of college carrer. 

LAKE SHOW

I don’t think its like the Kwame Brown draft because those three guys were all thought to be future Allstars. We all know thats not how they turned out

Cardinal_Fan
    Participant

I wouldnt even say you could build a franchise around Sullinger as your center piece. Imo he is not a franchise player, he does have limitations, i dont ever seeing him being a superstar or dominant player.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

“Harrison Barnes’ numbers are quite similar to that of Paul Pierce, but the two are very different players and I think Barnes can only dream about having the success Paul has enjoyed in the NBA.”

You wouldn’t have claimed that Paul Pierce would have had the success he has had based off his freshman year.

Hitster
    Participant

This year’s draft does seem to lack a few possible franchise players but last year’s after John Wall and maybe Cousins if he achieved his full upside was more guys who could improve a team rather than build a team around.

With Barnes I still don’t know whether he is better off declaring or not and a lot could depend on the lockout issue.

Hitster
    Participant

This year’s draft does seem to lack a few possible franchise players but last year’s after John Wall and maybe Cousins if he achieved his full upside was more guys who could improve a team rather than build a team around.

With Barnes I still don’t know whether he is better off declaring or not and a lot could depend on the lockout issue.

midwestbbscout
    Participant

I get hate for saying Grant Hill had an awesome freshman year…..I am willing to bet he was Freshman of the Year in the ACC that year without looking it up…..please somebody do my dirty work….

Quincey Hodges

I’m pretty sure he was freshman of the year. He had a good year. Barnes isn’t having the same freshman year/impact Hill had

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Maybe not, but Paul has always had the strength that has been a huge advantage for him. Barnes really does not have the same base as Pierce, and I do not know if that is something he gains. I see Barnes being a potentially great player, at least a good one, but not Paul Pierce. Only time will tell, but do you see him exceeding Paul?

ghettosermon
    Participant

Harrison Barnes shooting has been so off this year. 39% compared to Marvin Williams 50%. People rag on him now because he’s been mediocre but Marvin looked much more impressive than Harrison has. Marvin was bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more effecient at his one year at UNC. Of course he didnt’ have the pressure on him that Harrison has. Harrison has done ok but he needs to stay in college to prove he’s worthy of a top 5 pick. His season has been really similar to Jordan Hamilton’s freshman campaign. Maybe Harrison can break out next year like Jordan has.

Quincey Hodges

Thats because Marvin scored most of his points close to the basket and he took less shots. If Barnes was playing the same role as Marvin on a team liek that he would probably look better as well. I also thinks he needs to stay in college for another and could have a year like Jordan.

Also paul P wasnt the same PAul P. He was only 210 when he was a freshman at Kansas

midwestbbscout
    Participant

I really like the comparison of Barnes to Pierce…..they have VERY similar games…. 

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I never liked Barnes as the No 1 highschooler.  Sure he can be a good player, but when your ranked no1 expectations are to be an NBA all-star

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login