This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Andv1 Waiting 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Rdf1212
    Participant

I hear everyone blaming the Lakers for surrounding LeBron with non-shooters but I have a different take on things..

LeBron has tried that tactic against the Warriors pre boogie and couldn’t find success.. Why try again what has proven unsuccessful? I think the plan was to try something radically different with playmakers on one year deals and if the team doesn’t gel that’s okay since they can retool next year. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It didn’t work out but I think the logic was sound. 

Hitster
    Participant

It was a complete Addams family line up – McGee, Beasley, Stephenson, Ball etc – if you were making a headcase team this would be a good start. Just get MVP back and Sheed Wallace on the coaching staff.

Seriously though it was always going to be a rebuilding year and trying to get into the play offs. But I would have thought get some experienced support pieces in place, allow room for another top FA and hope the youngsters kick on around LBJ.

But with play offs now out of the question, the Lakers look to have totally wasted one of the 4 years they have LBJ for. Next season he’ll be older – turns 35 at end of year and will need suppport over the coming years otherwise the mileage will catch up with him even sooner.

OhCanada-
    Participant

To be fair it wasnt really the "knuckleheads" fault the team lost games. Those guys all seemed to play well. Also dont think it was the lack of shooters, look at the Spurs. Tons of things went wrong its a long list. 

First of all the young players have losing habits. They dont close out games by digging in. 

Injuries really messed them up. Lebron’s injury took them out of a playoff spot and despite what the stats show Lonzo Ball was really a game changer defensively for this team.

Management made bad moves, trading Zubac was a backbreaker. The team has gone 3-13 since trading him.

But even when they had Zubac, Walton just doesnt like playing bigs. I have no clue why. It makes no sense to me. Zubac only averaged 16 minutes per game,  Mcgee only 21 minutes per game. Both guys averaged near 20 and 10 with 2 to 3 blocks per 36 minutes. They shoulve had a tight big man rotation with those two eating all the minutes. If teams went small on them pound and punish them, establish an identity. No reason to throw Kuzma in there at all, if anything Lebron gets spot minutes at Center but we all know he doesnt wanna do that.

Bad roster, bad training staff, bad management, bad coaching, bad record.

Mopgrass
    Participant

If their 3 best players didn’t have 3 long term injuries, they would have made playoffs. For a minute, they looked like a top 6 team. They just had no room for error. Looks like error happened.  

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Hard to tell what would’ve happened if lebron didn’t get injured. The team was playing pretty well at that point and looked like they would make the playoffs. But it would have been far from a guarantee, especially given all the other injuries that winded up happening. This was always a flawed and poorly constructed roster. The question was always going to be how far lebron could take them in spite of it.

The lakers could have easily resigned brook Lopez. Walton wanted him back and magic overruled and him and instead signed Beasley for roughly the same price. Given how effective Lopez was in Milwaukee this season and how ineffective Beasley was with the lakers it was an absolutely indefensible decision. Likewise, they could have easily gone after a guy like Wayne Ellington, but instead opted for kcp and lance stephenson. I could understand the rationale for wanting to try something different but it’s hard to understand the moves they made. The only good news is they reserved their cap space for this summer, but I have to admit I’m pretty skeptical right now if Magic is the right guy to be calling the shots.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

One of the biggest disasters in league history.  Oh, we had the whole Anthony Davis thing this year, too.

Weird year.

Hopefully LeBron passes the torch soon without burning the whole thing down.

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

if the lakers fail to land a major free agent this summer and return the same roster..they should look to send kuzma back to the bench as 6th man..they missed that explosion this year…walton has to improve as a coach,his late game substitution patterns were puzzling..people have bashed the lakers becuz russell is an all star and randle is having his best season as a pro..but they dont realize is randle entered the league in 2014,russell the following year..it took those guys time to develope something lakers fans couldnt afford to wait on..ball,kuzma and ingram also need time… but the lakers r known to make something out of nothing..maybe if bol bol falls to the lakers late in the lottery? 

Andv1 Waiting
    Participant

This years lineup was interesting to say the least for them.

They did deal with alot of injuries which was the otherside of the coin people seem to forget.

However maybe instead of going for A.D they should try trade for the following:

Beal for Ingram,Kuzma and this years pick.

Trade for one of Blake or K-love. I think Blake gives them a player that fits quite nicely with Ball and Bron all three can move with or without the ball,handle the ball and pass the ball quite well. K-love gives you a win now vet who knows how to handle Bron. The only down side is you would probably be capped out once you have one star..

Go all in on a move for Dame if they believe they can get him for Ball,Kuzma and ingram package..

F.A assuming they stand pat on the trade front they should maybe target the following players…

Highly unlikly: 

Klay Thompson-Best case GSW screws up and Lebron is like throw him the bag…This only happens if they don’t pay up for him and they don’t win it all this year.

Kawhi. Two way player and can add to his game by playing with LBJ/Lonzo.

Pretty likely:

Butler..A wild card as Ball and him could be something very nice on defense.This also allows you to cover LBJ trash can defense(lets be honest is average at best). He could also play closer if LBJ doesn’t have it going. I see this happening if Butler is all about the money and flash lifestyle..Not saying he will but big name if he recruited right I see him be the most likely to bail.

J.J Reddick if you gave him longterm security he to could help give them shooting and Ball could take the SG’s on defense and Reddick could deal with most PG’s(except simmons) on defense. He would give lakers spacing and could probably gotten at reasonable price. Who knows maybe he helps Balls shot out to.

Kyrie if the supposed K.D and Kyrie to Knicks flames out I could see him going stuff it Lakers here I come and Lonzo then being involved in a trade to get  star…

Kemba-If Hornets drop ball they could do the same as if they got Kyrie..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login