This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 11 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

He came on the scene late in the summer and is from the Dominican Republic. Apparently just turned 16 and is headed to prep at Wilbraham & Monson. 6-7, is referred to as a combo guard, looks like his future may be at the wing. Very intriguing prospect, thought that people might want to see this highlight tape of a player who looks to be a likely high major prospect.

sportspolymath
    Participant

Thank you for posting the video. This kid seems to have a nice and easy style to his game, and his footwork on his step back was beautiful.  Seems to also have a little hesitation move followed by a burst. Most guys don’t pick up a change of pace or a slow fast slow move until they are older. 

All of which bodes well for this young man. Could be the next great Dominican player.

Siggy
    Participant

He’s obviously got some ball-handling ability and fluid athleticism but I’d like to see how he performs in a more organized setting where all that dancing with the ball isn’t as effective.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

For sure one would like to see him in a more competitive setting before ranking him amongst his peers. Just thought that he was a 6-7 player with some definite ability at a young age. Adam Finkelstein of New England Recruiting Report certainly feels strongly about his ability and I think we can see a reason why at this point. Still, as far as getting a really solid read on his use of these abilities it would be best to see him in a more organized setting. Only thing I felt about seeing this was that he is more than likely going to get some nice high major offers, considering he still has another couple years of high school.

sportspolymath
    Participant

However, it seemed that he wasn’t better becasue of his size and athleticism; which we often see with young players.  He seemed to have numerous ways to create space and get his shot off.  I too would like to see him against better competition.

F_S

very nice prospect… 

dominican republic has two very nice prospects in Karl Towns and this kid. im half dominican so i proud of that, i was gonna post this video earlier this week but didn’t.

i don’t like his mechanics and his shot is probably poor

i want to know how big is his wingspan.

MUbballfan
    Participant

looks like he’s very good, but Ben Simmons is better.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I was trying to see if Montero had any Dominican national team experience (before Karl Towns played on the men’s team, he did play for their U17 team). I presumed Montero may be a tad old for his class, much like Towns was and Mickey Mitchell is being born after September 1995. What I found definitely surprised me:

http://bwb.fiba.com/camps/2011/rio-de-janeiro#tabs-2

This was a Basketball Without Borders camp from July 29-August 1 2011. Montero is listed as being born April 6, 1993 (they have the day before the month). If he stays 2015, that would make him a 22 year old freshman. Now, he does seem talented and all, plus maybe it could be a typo (doubt it, they are usually pretty spot on), just think we have to evaluate him a tad differently seeing that if he had a "HS Class", it would be 2011 as opposed to 2015.

So, just wanted to give a heads up to this recent development. Still looks like an interesting player, just can no longer play the "he is still young tag" when he is going up against high school comp. Will be interesting to see whether he reclassifies and where he may be ranked in accordance to him being 2-3 years older than most members in the HS Class of 2015. Right now, their are 5 players younger than Montero in the NBA. Just a little suprised.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login