This topic contains 34 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar anthony_DavIS23 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    redone1
    Participant

Say these predictions (from recruiting guru Jerry Meyer) are correct. Which team would have a better class?

Duke: Tyus Jones, Justice Winslow, Jahlil Okafor

UK: Emmanuel Mudiay, Rashad Vaughn, Cliff Alexander, Karl Towns Jr. (already committed)

I think both these classes would be amazing but just based on the class who do you think would be better in college? I do realize Duke would have one less player in their class.

rjb241
    Participant

hard to say because i havent got a chance to see any of em play against other top level prospects. I think Okafor looks like he may be an absolute beast tho. i think he’ll pick Ky, but out of those two choices id take the Duke class

rjb241
    Participant

hard to say because i havent got a chance to see any of em play against other top level prospects. I think Okafor looks like he may be an absolute beast tho. i think he’ll pick Ky, but out of those two choices id take the Duke class

GlenTaylorSucks
    Participant

Duke’s Big 3 doesn’t end up at Duke? Okafor and Jones are also pretty high on Michigan State

GlenTaylorSucks
    Participant

Duke’s Big 3 doesn’t end up at Duke? Okafor and Jones are also pretty high on Michigan State

Velvet Hoop
    Participant

that Duke has already signed 6’4 combo guard Grayson Allen, who is also a top 30 guy.

Siggy
      Participant

They’re also in the mix for another wing, sharpshooter Devin Booker. I think it’s b/t Duke and Michigan for him.
      I also hear that they’re in the lead for Kevon Looney.

Siggy
      Participant

They’re also in the mix for another wing, sharpshooter Devin Booker. I think it’s b/t Duke and Michigan for him.
      I also hear that they’re in the lead for Kevon Looney.

akhan786
        Participant

I think it’s over for Duke and Booker with the Grayson Allen commit. Booker is a player and in my opinion should be rated higher than Allen, but Allen pulled the trigger first.

And yes Duke is sitting pretty with Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. Probably moreso than any other school at the moment. I say at the moment, because things can change pretty quickly with the decisions of 17 year olds.

If those two commit, then that will likely up there chances to nab Winslow away from Arizona and Looney from Florida.

But usually (unless you’re Kentucky) package deals rarely ever materialize, so I wouldn’t say it’s a for sure thing for Winslow and Looney who have said they would like to play with both Jones and Okafor.

akhan786
        Participant

I think it’s over for Duke and Booker with the Grayson Allen commit. Booker is a player and in my opinion should be rated higher than Allen, but Allen pulled the trigger first.

And yes Duke is sitting pretty with Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. Probably moreso than any other school at the moment. I say at the moment, because things can change pretty quickly with the decisions of 17 year olds.

If those two commit, then that will likely up there chances to nab Winslow away from Arizona and Looney from Florida.

But usually (unless you’re Kentucky) package deals rarely ever materialize, so I wouldn’t say it’s a for sure thing for Winslow and Looney who have said they would like to play with both Jones and Okafor.

Siggy
          Participant

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just remember Duke being at the top of his list and still being on his list even after Allen committed. Coach K has used a lot of 3 guard lineups in the past. Allen also has some versatility since he’s more of a combo guard, but they’ll still likely have Matt Jones on the roster too.

In any case, to answer this question I’d probably favor the Duke class. Those guys are winners who complement each other well. Kentucky’s class looks more like a collection of talent.

Siggy
          Participant

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just remember Duke being at the top of his list and still being on his list even after Allen committed. Coach K has used a lot of 3 guard lineups in the past. Allen also has some versatility since he’s more of a combo guard, but they’ll still likely have Matt Jones on the roster too.

In any case, to answer this question I’d probably favor the Duke class. Those guys are winners who complement each other well. Kentucky’s class looks more like a collection of talent.

Velvet Hoop
    Participant

that Duke has already signed 6’4 combo guard Grayson Allen, who is also a top 30 guy.

hoopscop
    Participant

Duke gets the nod because these three guys would be awesome in a teamcontext, for the hypothetical Kentucky recruits, yes there would be awesome talents but how would they mesh. There is a level of probabilty that Okafor and Jones will go to Duke and then Jabari would stay his second year, that seems a real option. As for Kentucky I am not so sure regarding Alexander and Vaughn. Hey we all love recruiting, it is so much fun speculating!

hoopscop
    Participant

Duke gets the nod because these three guys would be awesome in a teamcontext, for the hypothetical Kentucky recruits, yes there would be awesome talents but how would they mesh. There is a level of probabilty that Okafor and Jones will go to Duke and then Jabari would stay his second year, that seems a real option. As for Kentucky I am not so sure regarding Alexander and Vaughn. Hey we all love recruiting, it is so much fun speculating!

HobbyOG
    Participant

I’m not sold on Okafor going to Duke…Why would he? Who was the last dominant big man to go to Duke?

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

but I think it is because Tyus Jones is so high on Duke and he and Okafor have talked a lot about going to the same school.

Duke has a perimeter based offense which utilizes it’s bigs mainly to screen. They have had more success with stretch 4’s who can pick and pop, or simply hit the corner 3.

They haven’t had a legit pro center since… um… Mike Gminski maybe?

It seems that Coach K being the head coach of the USMNT has really raised his rep among the younger group of players. Its not hard to see why.

It will be interesting to see if Duke does land Okafor, do they alter their offense to play through Jones and Okafor or do they continue to live by the 3 ball?

akhan786
        Participant

If one pays attention to Duke’s system offense…you’d notice there is actually no “system” that carries over from year to year. Coach K tailor makes his offense based on whatever his personnel is…

He can slow it down, speed it up, pound it inside, or let it fly from the three. He’s won championships with each different style and you can just use their 2010 championship team (slow it down grind it out style) and compare it to the up coming year’s team where they’re going to be running up and down the floor like crazy.

Why? Because Coach K has the athletes to do so. And it seems like you didn’t even notice Coach K ALREADY DID alter his offense last year for a big…Mason Plumlee. And Plumlee just went on to win the Pete Newell Award given to the best big man in the nation by averaging 17 ppg, 10 rpg, and 1.5 bpg on 60% shooting all while doing it in a power conference.

You might not have noticed Plumlee last year, but Okafor sure did and has been on record going out of his way to praise Plumlee and what Duke did with their offense multiple times.

akhan786
        Participant

If one pays attention to Duke’s system offense…you’d notice there is actually no “system” that carries over from year to year. Coach K tailor makes his offense based on whatever his personnel is…

He can slow it down, speed it up, pound it inside, or let it fly from the three. He’s won championships with each different style and you can just use their 2010 championship team (slow it down grind it out style) and compare it to the up coming year’s team where they’re going to be running up and down the floor like crazy.

Why? Because Coach K has the athletes to do so. And it seems like you didn’t even notice Coach K ALREADY DID alter his offense last year for a big…Mason Plumlee. And Plumlee just went on to win the Pete Newell Award given to the best big man in the nation by averaging 17 ppg, 10 rpg, and 1.5 bpg on 60% shooting all while doing it in a power conference.

You might not have noticed Plumlee last year, but Okafor sure did and has been on record going out of his way to praise Plumlee and what Duke did with their offense multiple times.

Siggy
        Participant

Plumlee, Boozer, Brand… heck, even Shelden Williams was used in the post.

Coach K is no Boeheim or Roy Williams. He can coach more than one style.

Velvet Hoop
          Participant

Boozer, Brand and Sheldon Williams, but I was talking about NBA centers though. Those guys are power forwards I know Miles will be drafted high but I don’t really feel like he is an NBA center either. Good college player though.

It’s not really a criticism, it’s just a fact. Duke hasn’t been able to land the elite big men in the last several years.

I totally agree that K is better coach than Roy

Siggy
            Participant

NBA C’s or not, Coach K knows how to use bigs in the post. He doesn’t really have a set style. If he gets Okafor he won’t be trying to turn him into a PnP stretch big.

Siggy
            Participant

NBA C’s or not, Coach K knows how to use bigs in the post. He doesn’t really have a set style. If he gets Okafor he won’t be trying to turn him into a PnP stretch big.

Velvet Hoop
          Participant

Boozer, Brand and Sheldon Williams, but I was talking about NBA centers though. Those guys are power forwards I know Miles will be drafted high but I don’t really feel like he is an NBA center either. Good college player though.

It’s not really a criticism, it’s just a fact. Duke hasn’t been able to land the elite big men in the last several years.

I totally agree that K is better coach than Roy

Siggy
        Participant

Plumlee, Boozer, Brand… heck, even Shelden Williams was used in the post.

Coach K is no Boeheim or Roy Williams. He can coach more than one style.

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

but I think it is because Tyus Jones is so high on Duke and he and Okafor have talked a lot about going to the same school.

Duke has a perimeter based offense which utilizes it’s bigs mainly to screen. They have had more success with stretch 4’s who can pick and pop, or simply hit the corner 3.

They haven’t had a legit pro center since… um… Mike Gminski maybe?

It seems that Coach K being the head coach of the USMNT has really raised his rep among the younger group of players. Its not hard to see why.

It will be interesting to see if Duke does land Okafor, do they alter their offense to play through Jones and Okafor or do they continue to live by the 3 ball?

HobbyOG
    Participant

I’m not sold on Okafor going to Duke…Why would he? Who was the last dominant big man to go to Duke?

Mr. HookShot
    Participant

Question:with Karl Towns Jr. committed to Kentucky, and Dakari Johnson likely staying (seeing that WCS will start and take the mayority of the minutes), do they go with a twin tower line-up next year with 6’11 Johnson as C, and 7’1 Towns Jr. as PF (while he can shoot)?

Mr. HookShot
    Participant

Question:with Karl Towns Jr. committed to Kentucky, and Dakari Johnson likely staying (seeing that WCS will start and take the mayority of the minutes), do they go with a twin tower line-up next year with 6’11 Johnson as C, and 7’1 Towns Jr. as PF (while he can shoot)?

slepchor
    Participant

Anyone who gets Okafor has the advantage. He seems to be at another level, dominating with ease.. If he starts being clever and switches position (6’10 doesn’t cut it for C in the NBA, I really don’t think he is going to be 7 feet tall) he will be impossible to face..

Siggy
      Participant

Length and bulk matter much more than height. Okafor has C length and he has the mass.

Siggy
      Participant

Length and bulk matter much more than height. Okafor has C length and he has the mass.

slepchor
    Participant

Anyone who gets Okafor has the advantage. He seems to be at another level, dominating with ease.. If he starts being clever and switches position (6’10 doesn’t cut it for C in the NBA, I really don’t think he is going to be 7 feet tall) he will be impossible to face..

anthony_DavIS23
    Participant

I think Duke’s class has better chemistry and with Jahlil and Tyus paired with Justise’s Defense would probably be better overall.

anthony_DavIS23
    Participant

I think Duke’s class has better chemistry and with Jahlil and Tyus paired with Justise’s Defense would probably be better overall.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login