This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Wetalkinboutpractice 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    chall23
    Participant

Here’s a little thing a couple friends and I were talking about, since this is one of the deepest drafts in recent history, and as we all know 2013 draft was not one to rave about… my question is where would the lottery players get drafted if they were in this years draft?

JM40
    Participant

Interesting post, I was thinking about the same concept the other day. Here are my thoughts with a 2014 range listed;

Anthony Bennett (Range 9-14)-Bennett would likely be a lottery pick again this year, but he would certainly be drafted behind other undersized 4 prospects like Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. He would go after Noah Vonleh as well. I see him getting picked up at the tail end of the lottery in 2014.

Victor Oladipo (Range 5-8)-In my opinion, Oladipo would be the highest 2013 player drafted in 2014, with a range somewhere in the middle. He doesn’t go before Exum, but could be the #2 big guard option right before Smart and LaVine.

Otto Porter (Range 12-15)-Porter would drop quite a bit in 2014 with regard to the SF spot, certainly behind Wiggins, Parker, and McDermott. Once you throw in teams that will draft post players and guards, Porter might even fall out of the lottery.

Cody Zeller (Range 12-16)-Zeller would get some looks late in the lottery after the 1st tier PF’s are gone (Randle, Gordon, Vonleh, and Saric). He might go before Payne, maybe not. Depends on the team. He probably goes ahead of Porzingis since he would be ready to contribute from day one, which would land him in the late lottery/mid 1st range.

Alex Len (Range 10-20)-Len would be an anomaly in this draft. Since the options at Center as limited, he might go higher than he deserves, but definitely would not be in consideration for the overall spot like he was last year. He is behind Embiid for sure, and might be even with Nurkic. I can see a team looking for size to snag him early, or he could very easily slide in this year’s draft.

Nerlens Noel (Range 8-15)-Noel slid last year due to injuries, and I suspect this year he would slide even more. His size and athleticism are intriguing, but there are far too many safer bets ahead of him. My comparison in this year’s draft is Clint Capela, a thin PF/C with great leaping ability and a limited offensive skillset. He should go ahead of Capela, but might wind up in the mid 1st round ultimately.

Ben McLemore (Range 8-14)-McLemore should still be a lottery pick in this year’s draft, as I would consider him a superior SG prospect to James Young, Nik Stauskas, and Gary Harris. McLemore would start getting hard looks at #8, and would be the first “shooting” guard off the board (unless you consider Oladipo a pure SG as opposed to a combo guard).

Everyone else in the 2013 lottery would certainly drop out, and would likely fall in the 20-35 range at best. Most of the players at the bottom half on the 1st round would drop into the 2nd round, and I make a bold prediction that Solomon Hill would not be drafted this year.

I’m sure some team in the mid-late 1st would take a chance on the “Greek Freak”, especially a team looking for a grab and stash player.

Just my thoughts……..

JM40
    Participant

Interesting post, I was thinking about the same concept the other day. Here are my thoughts with a 2014 range listed;

Anthony Bennett (Range 9-14)-Bennett would likely be a lottery pick again this year, but he would certainly be drafted behind other undersized 4 prospects like Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. He would go after Noah Vonleh as well. I see him getting picked up at the tail end of the lottery in 2014.

Victor Oladipo (Range 5-8)-In my opinion, Oladipo would be the highest 2013 player drafted in 2014, with a range somewhere in the middle. He doesn’t go before Exum, but could be the #2 big guard option right before Smart and LaVine.

Otto Porter (Range 12-15)-Porter would drop quite a bit in 2014 with regard to the SF spot, certainly behind Wiggins, Parker, and McDermott. Once you throw in teams that will draft post players and guards, Porter might even fall out of the lottery.

Cody Zeller (Range 12-16)-Zeller would get some looks late in the lottery after the 1st tier PF’s are gone (Randle, Gordon, Vonleh, and Saric). He might go before Payne, maybe not. Depends on the team. He probably goes ahead of Porzingis since he would be ready to contribute from day one, which would land him in the late lottery/mid 1st range.

Alex Len (Range 10-20)-Len would be an anomaly in this draft. Since the options at Center as limited, he might go higher than he deserves, but definitely would not be in consideration for the overall spot like he was last year. He is behind Embiid for sure, and might be even with Nurkic. I can see a team looking for size to snag him early, or he could very easily slide in this year’s draft.

Nerlens Noel (Range 8-15)-Noel slid last year due to injuries, and I suspect this year he would slide even more. His size and athleticism are intriguing, but there are far too many safer bets ahead of him. My comparison in this year’s draft is Clint Capela, a thin PF/C with great leaping ability and a limited offensive skillset. He should go ahead of Capela, but might wind up in the mid 1st round ultimately.

Ben McLemore (Range 8-14)-McLemore should still be a lottery pick in this year’s draft, as I would consider him a superior SG prospect to James Young, Nik Stauskas, and Gary Harris. McLemore would start getting hard looks at #8, and would be the first “shooting” guard off the board (unless you consider Oladipo a pure SG as opposed to a combo guard).

Everyone else in the 2013 lottery would certainly drop out, and would likely fall in the 20-35 range at best. Most of the players at the bottom half on the 1st round would drop into the 2nd round, and I make a bold prediction that Solomon Hill would not be drafted this year.

I’m sure some team in the mid-late 1st would take a chance on the “Greek Freak”, especially a team looking for a grab and stash player.

Just my thoughts……..

Rip255

Oladipo would be in Marcus Smart Range

Nerlens Noel would have been in Noah Vonleh Range

Anthony Bennett #1 (cos its the cavs picking 1st again)

Alex Len in Willie Caulie Steen range. In fact I’d be interested to know where you think he’d feature in mocks at the moment.

TheTruth86
      Participant

For the same reason (lack of bigs)  -Alex Len would have been a lock for the lottery.

TheTruth86
      Participant

For the same reason (lack of bigs)  -Alex Len would have been a lock for the lottery.

Wetalkinboutpractice
      Participant

Almost no chance he’d fall out of the lottery. And I’d say he’s floor would be the Celtics at 17. Almost no shot they’d pass on a chance to acquire a rim protector with Tyson Chandler like upside.

Wetalkinboutpractice
      Participant

Almost no chance he’d fall out of the lottery. And I’d say he’s floor would be the Celtics at 17. Almost no shot they’d pass on a chance to acquire a rim protector with Tyson Chandler like upside.

Rip255

Oladipo would be in Marcus Smart Range

Nerlens Noel would have been in Noah Vonleh Range

Anthony Bennett #1 (cos its the cavs picking 1st again)

Alex Len in Willie Caulie Steen range. In fact I’d be interested to know where you think he’d feature in mocks at the moment.

TheTruth86
    Participant

Considering the absense of legit bigs (excluding Embiid) in Draft’14, I think Noel would have been a lock for the lottery, easily top 10. On the opposite – the great number of quality forwards, would have resulted Anthony Bennett falling down heavily, maybe late 1st rnd.

TheTruth86
    Participant

Considering the absense of legit bigs (excluding Embiid) in Draft’14, I think Noel would have been a lock for the lottery, easily top 10. On the opposite – the great number of quality forwards, would have resulted Anthony Bennett falling down heavily, maybe late 1st rnd.

lalaila
    Participant

I think Noel if healthy would be top5 strong contender.. scouts loved him before injury

other would be outside of that top7.. highest Oladipo (likely 9th to Charlotte) but maybe Anthony Bennett somehiw would get picked 8th by Kings

lalaila
    Participant

I think Noel if healthy would be top5 strong contender.. scouts loved him before injury

other would be outside of that top7.. highest Oladipo (likely 9th to Charlotte) but maybe Anthony Bennett somehiw would get picked 8th by Kings

ballaj334
    Participant

I think mcw would still maybe only go 4 in this draft

ballaj334
    Participant

I think mcw would still maybe only go 4 in this draft

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login