This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by stepback3stepback3 stepback3 12 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Father Nature
    Participant

PG Chris Paul- best pg on the planet IMO
    PG Deron Williams- will play off the ball alot, like Billups
    PG Russell Westbrook- played great in the 2010 World Championships. Elite athlete, defender
    SG Kobe Bryant- Dude just loves to ball, Coach K favorite
    SG Dwayne Wade- Was amazing in the last Olympics as a 6th man
    SG Eric Gordon- Knockdown shooter
    SF Lebron James- Best perimeter defender in the world, can play all 5 spots, won’t have to take last shot
    SF Kevin Durant- Major coming out party in the World Championships, will play mostly at the 4, coach K loves this guy and he will be the focal point of the offense
    SF Andre Iguodala- glue guy, doesnt need the ball to effect the game
    PF Kevin Love- Love how Barkley called him Groundhog day, brings it every night, perfect international big
    C Dwight Howard- Best Defender in the world, game changer
    C Tyson Chandler- Perfect size and attitude, winner

Can’t believe I left Rose off this team, easliy could have him on over Westbrook, more likey is that Wade doesn’t play and Rose takes over his 6th man role. Really no room for Carmelo, Durant took over his role on the World Championship team and did it better, need more than just scoring coming off the bench. With Durant and Lebron playing lots of 4 I put Iggy on the team, if only having 2 legit centers is a concern I would put Aldridge on over Iggy, something tells me Bosh would make it though. Aldridge is a new addition to USA basketball and Bosh played the screen roll better than any big last time around. Amazing what Jerry Colangelo and Coach K have done to USA basketball. So many great players willing to play now, gonna be some bruised egos going on.

BasterdInABasket
    Participant

Id put LA in for Tyson. And Blake in for Iggy. Its been too long since weve had a guy in the olympics that could jump over a 7 footer.

gopack10
    Participant

Starters:

PG – Paul

SG – Kobe

SF – Lebron

PF – Odom

C – Howard

Reserves:

G – Rose

G – Westbrook

G – Wade

F – Anthony

F – Durant

F – Love

C – Chandler

Most people will bash my Odom pick over Bosh, Griffin and Aldridge but I feel like he is more suited to play alongside a guy like Howard than any of the other PF’s are.  No disrespect to the rest of them but Odom is a role player and the type of guy that this team would need.  I considered inserting Iggy instead of Westbrook simply because there are enough ball dominating guards on this team but I know that the Olympic team seems to always carry three PG’s.

Sup
    Participant

Ugh you mean Kobe is gonna save their butts again!? They would’ve never lost in 2000 and 2004 if Kobe was playing.

doubledribbler
    Participant

1st Team

Paul- plenty of athletes and scoring, need floor general.

Kobe- leader and go to guy.

Lebron- doesn’t have to be the man, gets to do it all, shut down guys and play and guard 4 positions.

Durant – has height of position and team usa used him as well as Melo at 4 quite a bit so not a huge stretch.

Howard- not skilled, but will feast off put back, altering shots and protect the boards.

2nd Team

Williams- provides good shooting, passing and defense (overlook what’s going on in NJ for now)

Wade- if healthy, hard to contain, will score and defend.

Melo- responds well to Coach K, can hit outside shots and create mismatches.

Bosh- can play solid system defense, effecient on offense, can’t have enough skilled bigs.

Aldridge- good size, good skill.

Utility

Gordon- lack of 3 point threat, good defender.

Love – lack of 3 point threats on team, can stretch floor, rebound and pass.

My biggest omission was Rose. I don’t think he is equipped for this type of play. Not a defender or shooter and I think he is too similiar to Wade. Westbrook’s low IQ and forgetting about how to play  with other great players makes him a liability. I like Odom’s versatility, but the other guys at his position offer more. Tyson not needed. Tired of seeing guys make teams because they are tall. He’s not a skilled big and does not rebound well. Obviously people think of Bynum should have been on the team, but I could have made a case for someone like Marcus Camby though neither is an option. Iggy probably would have been my last guy out. I like how he defends and I think he knows how to play a role. Griffin, although fun, just not skilled enough for it.

emaccall20
      Participant

your team is good man….but u gotta have rose on it. i love westbrook but rose is way more effective then westbrook

Sup
    Participant

Yeah right no D Rose, lolz c’mon son

Chewy
    Participant

Carmelo is USA’s best play in international play. They put him at the 4 and there is noone that can match up with his skill set.

Johnny Chill

I would have liked to see Ray Allen on that list, he probably declined any invitation, but perfect player on any team.

Savvy veteran, role player, and deadly sharp shooter.

doubledribbler
    Participant

Allen makes a ton of sense for them, but I think they were big on guys getting into the program a few years back and then picking from that pool. Allen would definitely make the team if he was an option.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wade and Melo play a deul 6th man role. I can see Wade being first guard off bench and Melo being first forward. It wouldn’t be too far fetched to not see much of your 4s in the Olympics unless one of them plays at the 5 or matchup dictates it. I think Melo, Lebron and Durant may be at the 4 much more than any of you are used to seeing.

As far as the Rose comments go, I don’t think he’s a definite. They have plenty of scorers, which is what Rose does best. While I would love for him to be on the team because I think it would help him continue to grow as a player, I don’t think he fits. He’s a streaky shooter. You have enough of those. Doesn’t get to the free throw line enough considering his ability. A good, but not great passer and nothing special as a defender. Sure he had his moments in 2010, but as the competition got better, he faded. Not everyone excels in international competition and it’s not about just grabbing your 12 best guys. What role does he fit or need does he fit on THIS team? If the team needs anything it’s probably another 3 point threat and a more defensive minded big. Neither of which is much of an option from the 20 that were picked. If Curry had been given a chance to make the team, I would have had him higher than Rose too. He’s not better than Rose, but once again he fits a need and his deficiences are going to be minimized by some of the other guys around him.

emaccall20
    Participant

This can be 1 of the best olympic team. The players that could make the team are amazing. Some of you picked some good rosters BUT whoever thinks rose shouldnt make it….slap yourself for saying that. 1st off is everybody thats going to be on the 2012 all star team that are starting are going to make the team. This should be the 12 man team:                                                                   1) Carmelo SF/PF  2) Kobe G/SF  3) Kevin Durant SF/PF  4) Blake PF/C  5) Dwight C  6) Bron SF/PF  7) CP3 G  8) D Rose G  9) D Wade G/SF  10) K Love C  11) Deron Williams G  12) Westbrook or Andre

Ghost01
    Participant

Lets be REAL. No D Rose? No Melo? C’mon.

Rose

Kobe

Bron

Durant

Dwight

Thats the starting 5. 5 best players in the world right now. The reserves:

CP3

Wade

Melo

Blake

K Love

Westbrook

Aldridge

delfam
    Participant

JMHO but Deron Williams is a better fit than Rose, he’s just a better player in the international game cause of his shooting ability and passing. 

To me CP3 and Deron are the 1st and 2nd team PG’s. If they decide to have 3 PG’s Rose would be the third, there is no place for Russel Westbrook on this team, he is not a good international player.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

PG: Chris Paul, Derrick Rose and Deron Williams

SG: Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Eric Gordon

SF: LeBron James and Kevin Durant

PF: Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Lamarcus Aldridge

C: Dwight Howard

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

@Delfam

Did you watch the World Games??? Westbrook was tenacious at the defensive end and could penetrate against any defense. He outplayed Rose in my opinion. 

It’ll be tough to cut Westbrook because he’s amazing in the run and jump defense that Team USA loved to play.

MJ FOR LIFE 23
    Participant

Starter:

PG – Paul

SG – Kobe

SF – Durant

PF – LeBron

C – Howard

Bench:

Rose, Wade, Westbrook, Melo, Bosh, Love, Aldridge

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

Rose  –  Paul  –  Westbrook
    Bryant  –  Wade
    James  –  Anthony
    Durant  –  Bosh  –  Griffin
    Howard  –  Aldridge

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Deron and Russ battling for that last spot should be fun to watch.

And it’ll be interesting to see if Love or Griffin can beat out Bosh or Aldridge. I think Aldridge and Bosh are locks though due to their ability to play both sides of the ball. And they both can play center.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Melo is a lock too…

gone
    Participant

Lot of Durant nut huggers here Melo will start at the 4 again he is a bigger mismatch

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

Rudy Gay is also a darkhorse for that 12th spot.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I think people forget just how good Melo is at the four in the Olympics. 

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I think it’s safe to say that the players who won Gold in 2008 are locks. Paul, Williams, Kobe, Wade, James, Melo, Bosh and Howard. That’s 8 spots. 4 left.

Durant is a lock. D. Rose isn’t getting cut. Might as well call him a lock. That’s 10 spots. 2 spots left.

Team USA carried a third big and shooting guard in 2008. Odom, Aldridge, Griffin and Love will battle it out. I’d like Odom’s chances IF his mind is there… If not, then it’s Aldridge. He defends better than Love and Griifin, plus stretches the floor and plays both big spots.

With Billups’ Achilles injury, I think Gordon is the logical choice for the designated shooter role.

stepback3stepback3
    stepback3
    Participant

needed as the international 3 point line is a deep 2 in the NBA.
    My team
    PG- Paul, Williams, Rose
    SG- Kobe, Wade
    SF- James, Anthony, Durant
    PF- Bosh, Love/Griffin(undecided)
    C- Howard, Aldridge

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login