This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar GBee 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Illadelph
    Participant

Was just looking at the ESPN 2020 mock draft by Jonathan Givony that was put out 4 days ago.  It’s got some interesting picks in it, but what really stood out to me was Givony put Vernon Carey at #22.  This seems quite low considering that he has been in the conversation for #1 overall with Wiseman, McDaniels, Anthony, etc.  Weird that he is so low on that mock.  Givony is pretty good, so what gives?  Any thoughts on why Carey is so low on his mock?

sweaterflex
    Participant

Carey seems like a guy who will be fairly dominant in college but is somewhat of a relic from another generation in the NBA. If Zach Randolph was heading into the league now he’d be an undersized center who doesn’t really defend the rim and can’t really switch on the perimeter. With the amount of talent at center in the league right now he might be a better fit mauling second units than starting unless he becomes a knockdown shooter.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I’ve seen Carey play twice. The first time I was extremely impressed. He was pounding the offensive glass, making plays in the post and off the dribble and hitting shots from outside. He looked like a guy who could play in the league right now. Than I saw him a second time and it was like I was watching a completely different player. He was basically non-engaged and just kind of drifting around the perimeter. Granted it’s a small sample size, and it could have just been an off game, but I get the impression that he is sort of someone that checks out when things don’t go his way and consistently bringing the same effort may be an issue.

He also doesn’t seem to project as someone who will be much of a rim protector at the next level and doesn’t seem to have the footspeed to contain smaller players off the dribble. The way the league is now, he could definitely wind up being a liability on defense. He basically seems like more of a traditional pf type with some ability to stretch the floor. Don’t get me wrong he’s still extremely talented and could have a very solid career, but I could see why he may not be projected to go as high in the draft as his high school accolades would indicate. Of course, this is just based on what I’ve seen of him (which admittedly isn’t much) and I could easily be off base here.

HobbyOG
    Participant

This mock will change 5K times before the 2020 draft..I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

GBee
    Participant

Givony is good at networking, listening to chatter and compiling opinions, but his own opinion doesn’t mean sht.  He’s a benefactor of a market where not much competition  (aka NBA draft "experts") exists. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login