This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar jkim37 12 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    marcusfizer21marcusfizer21
    marcusfizer21
    Participant

Who ya got this coming Saturday?

Jon "Bones" Jones or Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida…

I’ve never been this excited for a UFC fight…

I’m rooting for Bones by the way.

ItsVictorOladipo
    Participant

I think Jones takes this. He’s younger, has a longer reach, is faster, has more power and is more aggresive. I think he will be the champ for a while to be honest.

FellyBaby905
    Participant

as much as i dislike jon jones…..nobody is beating him….especially machida

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

The zombie apocalypse will interrupt the match-up and change everything. EVERYTHING! Oh, and that both of them should come up with more original nicknames. How about Lyoto "Burning Diarrhea" Machida and Jon "I really enjoy deli meats, but I am kind of against the unethical ways they kill animals. But it is SOOOO good. Well, my conscience is truly getting the best of me and I think I am going to have to stop eating red meat unless it dies of natural causes" Jones. Oh, and one of the two fighters will win, lose, draw or learn a valuable life lesson.

llperez

should be a great card. My breakdown:

bones vs machida:

Bones is a solid favorite over anybody he fights, period. He has not even been tested yet just making it look easy. However style wise, machida is a tough fight for anyone. He doesnt run in and get crazy. He keeps his distance and looks for openings. Probelm is that bones has a longer distance and doesnt leave openings. Bones is gonna enter the discussion with GSP and Anderson Silva for best p4p fighter in the world.

Frank Mir vs Big Nog

My pick is Mir. Both hw’s are great veterans of the sport but just a small step below the elite tier hw’s. Really tough fight to call, but I think Frank wins with his boxing.

Tiot Ortiz vs Lil Nog

Im pulling for Tito. He has always been my favorite fighter. He hasnt been a solid favorite in any fight for about 6 years and that probably doesnt change here. But he is dangerous and has a chance.

Grandmama
    Participant

Bones for sure, dude is deadly….I’d like to see Bones vs Anderson Silva (if possible)

jkim37
    Participant

Here is my main card breakdown for UFC 140 in Toronto, ON.

Main Event: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

As good as Jon Jones has been in his octagon appearances, I still worry about his untested chin and his game off his back. I find that he has been able to use his massive 84"reach to keep his opponents at bay and pick them apart. Being 6′ 4" and having the reach of a 7 footer is a massive where his average opponent is 2" shorter and has an 8" reach difference. I think Machida has the power and quickness to actually land a punch or two on Jones. Both fighters have very adequate stand up skills but I believe Machida’s black belt level in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will ultimately give him the advantage on the ground given that Jones has very good Greco-Roman wrestling and top game, but we have yet to see him off his back so Machida gets the edge. Overall, I see Machida getting the TKO stoppage in the 3rd round, finally regaining his belt and getting a rematch with Rashad Evans for his first title defence (assuming Evans defeats Phil Davis in his upcoming bout).

Co-Main Event: Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 2

As much as I’d love to see Minotauro resurrect his career by somehow getting the stoppage victory over Mir, I just don’t see Minotauro being able to pull it off. He’s simply not as athletic, and doesn’t have the chin that he used to so I see this fight ending similar to the first fight. I believe it will be a more contested bout with Minotauro having a competitive first round but with Mir taking the round. In the 2nd round, I believe Mir will hit Nogueira flush a couple times in the stand up and it will lead to a similar TKO stoppage victory for Frank Mir. With this win, I believe Mir will be placed in a upcoming #1 contender fight for him, possibly with a Strikeforce import named Fabricio Werdum.

Main Card: Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

This will be a great fight consisting of both great stand up and ground work. Both fighters have confidence in their stand up and both have very good grappling backgrounds, with Tito having his wrestling pedigree and Nogueira with his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. Ultimately, I see Nogueira having the better of Tito on the feet to lead to the unanimous decision victory. Tito will ultimately request one last final retirement fight, win or lose, most likely versus Forrest Griffin. I believe this win will have Nogueira back in the top 10/15 of the light heavyweight division and I’d love to see him fight Gegard Moussasi from Strikeforce.

Main Card: Chan Sung Jung vs. Mark Hominick

Being a South Korean myself, I will be the guy in Toronto secretly cheering on the Korean Zombie while everyone is going for the home town Hominick. KZ sets a great pace to the fight and the variety of his stand up skills and creative submission skills always makes him a tough fight against anybody in the world in the featherweight division. The Twister submission he pulled off against Leonard Garcia in their rematch is one of the nastiest and most creative submission ever pulled off within the octagon. However, I just don’t see the fight going his way, as I see the more technical Hominick picking apart the KZ to the 3rd round TKO victory. Coming off of his loss to UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo, Dana White was caught saying that because of Hominick’s performance at UFC 129, he was 2 fights away from getting another shot at Aldo, so this will be a very good step forward in the right direction.

Main Card: Brian Ebersole vs. Claude Patrick 

Originally, this fight was supposed to feature the up-and-coming Canadian, Rory Macdonald, out of Tristar Gym with current UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre. However, due to a Macdonald injury and an injury to Patrick’s original opponent, TUF 11 contestant Rich Atonitto, these two men get to square off in what should be an exciting fight. Ebersole is a crafty veteran with a wide varieity of tricks under his sleeve. Patrick has a great guillotine choke and is a well-versed fighter in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I believe this will be a great fight for the hometown kid Patrick, but I don’t see him beating the vetern Ebersole. I see Ebersole taking it via Unanimous Decision. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login