Alright, the lockout has been &$#%#&@! me off and there is a really high chance of there being a shortened or no season at all this year. So, I thought I'd post a forum about my favorite player in the NBA, who happens to be Ty Lawson.
Now, I am extremely biased because I am a Nuggets fan, but to be honest, I would have liked this guy even if he was on a different NBA team. Would he have been my favorite player? Ehh, probably not. Most people like teams for the players, but I like teams that I like. It's that simple. Anyway, on to the real subject.
I honestly wish there would be a season this year (as do many of you guys) because I want to see Ty Lawson as a starter for the entire year in the NBA.
Reasons why I LIKE him:
1. He's quick. He is a very quick and agile player, and with that quickness he is good at running fast breaks, and also getting around players to get to the rim. He also has fast hands, making it easy for him to steal the ball from opposing players.
2. He's a good passer. Lawson is a very good passer. It always seems like he makes the right decision when he passes the ball and he is very unselfish. Also, he does not turn the ball over very much when he passes, making him an elite passer.
3. He's a good shooter. He made ten 3-PT shots in a row last year in one game (setting the record for most consecutive three pointers made in a game) and finished 10-11 from 3, the only one missing was a half court buzzer beater that rimmed out. He can also shoot from mid-range, and is exceptional at hitting tough layups around the rim. He can also dunk for a little guy.
4. He plays with a lot of heart. Lawson is not much of an emotional guy on the court, but you can definitely tell he loves playing the game of basketball and he enjoys being out on the court each and every day trying to improve his game. He is a very hard worker.
Reasons why I DON'T LIKE him:
1. His size. He is very undersized for a point guard in the NBA. He makes up for his height with his verticle and leaping ability, but he is also a very lean point guard. It makes it hard for him to bump with some stronger point guards in the NBA such as former teammate Chauncey Billups. This is the only part of Lawson's game I dislike. But it's also something you can't help, and he still plays extremely well dispite his size disadvantage.
Overall: I like Lawson's game a lot. He is flashy, but not to the point where he is a showoff player. His quickness is going to help him score around the basket on fast breaks, and his shooting is above average in my opinion. I am not sure if he'll ever be a 20 PPG player because of his willingness to pass the ball, but I do see him making a few All-Star teams in his career. Some where around 2-3 sounds good. What do you guys think?
Reminds me of Nick Van Exel more and more
Van Exel was a scoring PG, Lawson is a pass first PG, their game is very different.
Van Exel's assists by year, 1994-2001: 8.3, 6.9, 8.5, 6.9, 7.4, 9, 8.5, 6.6
Did you even watch Van Exel during his playing days? Or are you going by stats? Van Exel was a flashy score first mentality PG, yes he was also an excellent playmaker (which is why his APG were good) but he would jack up 30 foot 3 pointers out of no where and loved take his man off the dribble. Lawson is a true PG who runs an offense. Van Exel is a career 40% FG shooter and was known to have bad shot selection, Lawson is an efficient career 50% FG shooter and picks his spots to score and looked for his team mates first.
Watch the actual players first before you throw out stats. Other than speed and quickness, they are two very different PG.
Van Exel was a favorite of mine when he was a Laker, but he was absolutely a score first flashy pg. Clutch yes, trerrific passer yes, but also had the ball in his hands QUITE often. Easy to rack up that many assisists when you play with guys like Eddie Jones who was a terrific off-ball scorer,Horry who could space the floor, Shaq who can get even the most beow average pg 5 dimes a game such as he did with Damon Jones, Ced Ceballos etc etc.
Go back and watch games not just youtube highlights and stats and THEN make your analysis of NVE's game. There is a reason he was never as effective as his numbers made him seem. Far different players.
He got hurt at the game yesterday
^^What injury did he suffer? And does that mean he's not playing at Barry Farms tonight? Heard him, John Wall, KD, DeMar DeRozan, and James Harden are playing there tonight if it doesn't rain again.