TP = Top 3 PG
Call me a Spurs fan, but I think it's about time to acknowledge Tony Parker as a top-3 PG this season. The only other PGs that are better in my opinion are Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook. Deron Williams hasn't be that much "Derony" in the first half of the season (Although he's coming along) and Rajon Rondo is leading the league in assists, but the Celtics are at a slump while trying to cling on the 8th spot in the East. Tony has been consistent all season long over those two guys. He leads ALL point guards in FG% with .52 (Those are big man numbers) and has the Spurs 2nd in the entire league behind OKC. I know may will debate and argue for who their top 3 point guards are, but for me it goes:
I would like to know your opinions and what's your top 3?
I think it is hard to argue anyone else right now. Derrick Rose when healthy is ahead of Tony. And as well as Rondo has been playing, his team is under .500. I think for people to have negged you so far without stating why the disagree is ridiculous. Tony Parker is balling these past few years and I hate the Spurs with a passion.
I didn't put Derrick Rose for the fact that he's injured this season and it's hard for me to believe he's going to return as the same guy who won MVP in 2011 that quickly to put him in the top 3 this season. Had he been healthy, my list could've looked different.
might have something to say about it. Parker has him in FT%, but thats about it.
And like all other shooting categories too lol
its a good list. you can go many ways with it.
Rondo comes in 4th. He's had 2 straight triple-doubles - Both losses. Something's not right. If the Celts had a better record, I would have no problem bumping Rondo up and taking Tony out, but that's currently not the case.
I would have Rondo ahead of Westbrook
I would have Rondo ahead of Westbrook
I'll take Irving, he gets less assists but one of his god awful teammates has to actually score for more of those.
Same with most. I think Parker is a great player, a future Hall of Famer and one of the best at getting to the bucket. But I'd have Rondo over him. Yeah the Celtics are playing poorly but he really can't be blamed for it. Like you said, he's had back to back triple doubles and the Celtics have lost both. Something is indeed wrong in Boston but it's not Rondo. IMO he is a better passer, Defender and rebounder than Parker. Parker is the better scorer but Rondo has shown capable of taking over offensively when he needs to.
With the way Stephen Curry has been playing too, I'd have to say that Curry is closing the gap on Parker and the elite PGs in the league too.
I've been on that Tony Parker wagon.
I could give a care less about a triple double. Getting a triple double has become an overrated stat. I want a guy who can put the ball in the basket... And do it when the game is on the line. Parker's shooting percentage around the rim is better than most big men. I want my point guard to not be a liability from the free-throw line. We're talking about a guy who has rings and actually was a key factor in getting them. He has a NBA Finals MVP. Rondo was just along for the ride.
I don't care that Rondo can pass better. Parker can pass. He's putting up 7-8 assists. I'm good with that. He makes the right plays and is always attacking. IF that's scoring or passing, regardless... It makes his team better. Defensively, he's adequate. He's definitely not a liability at the end. He can hold his own out there and he understands his place in the defensive scheme that the Spurs play.
I don't have a problem with Parker being in the top three at this point.
Well PG that can put the ball in the basket, and when the game on the line Kyrie Irving is over TP....yeah i know the cavs are terrible but u cant blame that kyrie, he's just a better scorer than Parker in almost ever facet of scoring!
Parker has played with the most consistent and dominant Big of the 2000's who is also having a "Fountain of Youth" type of year compared to the past couple of years...if they switched places TP would be doing the same if not worse than Kyrie is doing.
o hell no , tp is good but top 3? u gotta be crazy, my rankings go like this (w/o dRose)
then maybe tp after that
I mean isn't the game of basketball played by people who are trying to win? Kyrie is awesome but he isn't there yet. I want to see him lead his team to .500 first. Now with Rondo, he is awesome but his lack of ability shooting the basketball really hinders the Celtics late. Also, TP and Rondo have similar casts around them. KG and Duncan are aged superstars still playing well. Paul Pierce is better than Ginobili. Then it is a bunch of role players. Tony Parker right now is third and I don't think it is really close. TP closes games with his offense and Rondo can't. Parker can pull up from mid range, drive or pass in a late game situation. Rondo really only looks to pass because he can't shoot an if he drives he will get fouled where he isn't strong at the line.
When it comes down to it, I'm not even knocking Rondo at all. I just think you guys are severely under rating TP.
Its funny that whenever the names of the nba's top point guards come up,Parker's name is always in the middle of the pack...But every year Parker's name is among the leading candidates for MVP...Becuz he hits big shots,gets into the lane with ease,can play in any style of offense,can play with another point guard,he can play off the ball and he's a winner.......
Parker's not a traditional playmaking point guard..Remember the Spurs didnt have any faith in him,in his earlier days with the team..
They were trying to get rid of him about a decade ago, when Jason Kidd was in New Jersey and became a free agent....And that was the same year they won a ring,with Parker running the show...But he's the perfect point guard for their system,where they run alot of pick & rolls..
1. CP3 - He has it all. He's a complete player. I challenge you to find just one hole in his game... Just one.
2. Russ Westbrook - I'd like to see him shoot a higher percentage, turn the ball over less and make a few extra passes per game, but I'm through nitpicking him. He puts up monster numbers all over the court and he plays with a mean streak that few players have. With D. Rose out, Russ sits here.
3. TP - No Pop, no Timmy, off his game Manu... NO PROBLEM. TP has it and will clean it up quietly. This guy shot 55% in Dec and is shooting 53% in Jan. He's a winner and is always in attack mode, whether it's scoring or passing. He just makes the right plays... Winning plays. He's having another MVP type of season.
4. Kyrie Irving - He's young and the Cavs aren't winning, but this guy is unbelievable. He's so good that I'm willing to put him here despite the fact he hasn't played in any legit meaningful games yet. He could be a future 50, 40 and 90 guy and he was born with killer instinct. He's not a pure point guard, but his assists will go up and turnovers down as the Cavs keep adding better players. I just hope he can stay healthy and on the court.
5. Steph Curry - He's putting up 20.9 points, 4 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 1.7 steals. He's another player that could be a 50, 40 and 90 guy. Just needs to stay healthy. He's a special shooter.
6. Jrue Holiday - 19 points, 4.2 rebounds and 9 assists. A lockdown defender. At 6' 4" 205 lbs, he's got the size of a young GP. It's not hard to see him developing a complete game like GP. He already has a lot in his arsenal.
7. Rajon Rondo - He's a tough and unique player who can fill a stat sheet. He's a great defender. He's been blessed to play with Hall of Famer players. His lack of shooting puts him down the list. It's not OK when your point guard shoots 64% from the FT line.
8. D-Will - His ranking fell with his shooting percentage and his reputation around the league amongst NBA coaches. However, he's still a big point guard with a lot in his arsenal. His best days are behind him. Whether you blame it on injuries or just karma... That's up to you.
9. Damian Lillard - He's only a rookie, but so what... He doesn't play like one. He plays like a veteran and he has the skill and tools to be an elite level point guard in the NBA. He steps up with the game on the line, which you love to see from a rookie.
10. Steve Nash - It's hard putting him here considering the Lakers' lack of success this season and the fact he's a poor defender, but he's still putting up 11.2 points on 51, 41 and 97 shooting while dishing out 8.3 assists. That's better to me than a guy like Brandon Jennings putting up 18.3 points, but a career 39-40 % shooter and only giving you 5-6 assists.
I'm not a fan of Rondo at all, but there is absolutely no way I'd rather have Jrue Holiday instead of him.
I think CP3, Westbrook, Parker, Irving, and Rondo are the top 5 right now. You can switch the bottom 3 in any order you want, but CP3 and Westbrook are at the top. I just don't see Rondo being out of the top 5. I'll wait to see Curry and Rose healthy for a longer stretch of time before I take Rondo out of the top 5.
i know i will have thumb downs because i had in my last post, but i don't like the way Westbrook plays (takes to many shots, poor shot selection), but he is good and skilled
CP3- complete package, with great offensive skill, on defense he is tough and a thief, he is clutch, smart, great basketball IQ and a LEADER, and he doesn't need to be athletic to be good
Rondo- why? would i put Rondo ahead of Westbrook, who is the better defender and passer who is the guy that can go head to head against Lebron on the triple double conversation and he is only 6'1, yes Rondo sometimes doesn't attack the basket and his jumpshot is bad, but compare Rondo and Westbrook fg% this year and it will shock you all Rondo 48 fg%- 12,2 fga, Westbrook 41%- 18,8 fga Career- Rondo, 48% Westbrook, 42%,
Irving- everybody says he doesn't play defense, okay he is not good but he is not bad either his Steals are 1,7 SPG, why would i choose him ahead of other guards, easy the best scoring PG this year, he is a good shooter, passer and ball handler his offensive skill is so good and he is so complete in that area that i actually love to watch him play he is not athletic like Westbrook or Rose but he is already better than them and he doesn't need to rely on his athleticism to control the game