This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar sc0rebuckets11 13 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    valentine

Perry Jones, F, Baylor – There is no doubt that Perry Jones is far and away the prospect with the biggest upside in the 2011 NBA Draft.  At 6-11, 230 lbs., Jones has a 7-3 wingspan, outstanding athletic ability, solid ball-handling skills, range out to the three-point line and is an adept passer.  As his freshman season at Baylor approaches, Jones has an opportunity to wrest the top spot in the 2011 draft from fellow one-and-done prospect Harrison Barnes (headed to North Carolina) if he can continue to build on a strong summer following a disappointing senior season at Duncanville High School.  Jones has the ability to defend four positions (all except the point), although he must develop better lower body strength in order to match-up man to man with NBA power forwards and centers.  A silky smooth offensive player, Jones is deadly from the mid-range and finishes around the basket with ease, typically in highlight reel fashion, due to his explosive leaping ability, solid frame and great length.  He has drawn comparisons to Tracy McGrady because of his diverse offensive skill-set and Lamar Odom because of his remarkable versatility.  Unfortunately, the Odom comparison may be the most accurate at this point due to the fact that Jones doesn’t always assert himself and sometimes drifts in and out of games mentally.  Regardless of his few weaknesses (lack of lower body strength and focus), Jones will be a top pick in the 2011 NBA Draft should he choose to leave Waco after one season. Josh

Selby, G, Kansas – Perhaps the most impressive part of Josh Selby’s game heading into his freshman campaign at Kansas is the tenacity and fearlessness with which he plays, particularly on the offensive end of the floor (reminiscent of a young Allen Iverson).  The 6-3, 190 lb. combo guard is an elite athlete who attacks the rim with reckless abandon, constantly putting pressure on the defense, getting to the free throw line and finishing around the rim in a variety of manners, from his soft floater to ferocious dunks.  Perhaps the most undeniable asset he possesses is his unwavering competitiveness although, at times, that has proven to be proven to be a weakness as well.  Selby wants the ball in his hands and can lose focus if he goes more than a couple of possessions without touching the rock.  Regardless, his ability to score the basketball is second to none.  Selby can shoot it from the outside, kill you in the mid-range (pulling up off the dribble or catching and shooting), get to the rim and the free throw line, and create shots for his teammates as well.  Clearly, this DeMatha High School product will have to learn to love the defensive end of the floor as much as he loves scoring the ball, but he has the skills to be a solid defensive player at the NBA level.  Considering his scoring instincts and overall skill level, Selby is brimming with potential.  MORE BY LUKE BYRNES Don’t Overlook the Timberwolves: David Kahn has taken a lot of grief for the way he has gone about… Hoops Chat With Luke Byrnes: Senior NCAA and NBA writer Luke Byrnes answers your questions from all… Hoops Chat With Luke Byrnes: Senior NCAA and NBA writer Luke Byrnes answers your questions from all… View Luke Byrnes Archive  Alec Burks, SG, Colorado – Two years ago at this time Alec Burks was a relative unknown in the basketball world, signing with Colorado in the November signing period while on his way to becoming the Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Missouri as a high school senior.  The 6-6, 180 lb. swingman carried the momentum he gained in his final high school season into his freshman campaign for the Buffaloes, scoring more than 17 points per game in his first year on campus and emerging as one of the top prospects in the 2011 NBA Draft.  A smooth but explosive athlete, Burks runs like a gazelle and flourishes in the open court, showing the ability get to the rim and finish or get to the free throw line, averaging more than six free throw attempts per game last season.  Despite his slight frame, Burks doesn’t shy away from contact and shows the requisite skills to be a quality defensive player at the NBA level, once he adds some bulk and strength to his frame, with quick feet and hands as well as long arms (82.5 inch wingspan), allowing him to play the passing lanes well.  Burks is young for his class (he turned 19 in August) and shows great body control as well as good scoring instincts.  He is a great rebounder for a perimeter player, averaging five rebounds per game a year ago.  As Burks continues to develop as an outside shooter (he shot a respectable 35 percent from behind the three-point line last season) and ball-handler, he’ll climb up the draft boards and could become a top-ten pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. C.J. Leslie, F, N.C. State – An absolute freak of nature athletically, C.J. Leslie has drawn comparisons to the great Kevin Garnett, possessing outstanding length (6-9 with an 86-inch wingspan), leaping ability and explosiveness.  While he could develop into a KG-type player, right now he is more like Darius Miles; more athlete than basketball player but showing the tools to become an impact player at the NBA level.  Leslie has a decent handle, which he uses to get to the rim where he is a powerful finisher but has, at times, shown overconfidence in his ball-handling skills causing him to be somewhat turnover-prone.   On the defensive end of the floor there is no doubt that Leslie has potential to become an elite NBA player.  He can guard every position from the two to the five, using his length to become a terror in the passing lanes and his timing and ability to get off the ground quickly to block and change shots both from the help side and as a one-on-one defender.  Leslie must continue to develop as a basketball player rather than relying on his athleticism but, outside of Jones, could have the biggest upside in the 2011 NBA Draft. John Henson, F, North Carolina – An intriguing NBA prospect since he first set foot on the North Carolina campus a year ago, John Henson didn’t produce at a high level during his freshman season, but his unique set of skills, length and versatility have helped him remain near the top of most draft boards heading into his sophomore campaign.  At 6-10, 200 lbs., Henson is a bit if a tweener; not yet strong enough to bang down with the big boys, but not quite mature enough physically to possess the lateral quickness to defend perimeter players.  Offensively, there is a lot to like about Henson’s game.  With a solid handle for player of his size and range out beyond the college three-point line, he can lure bigger defenders in and use the dribble to get into the lane, where he is a capable finisher.  His obvious feel for the game allows him to find soft spots in the defense where he is able to put his soft shooting touch on display.  Defensively, Henson shows plenty of effort, intensity and desire.  In less than 16 minutes of action per game last season, he averaged 4.4 rebounds, 1.6 blocks and 0.7 steals per game.  With a year in the UNC strength program and more opportunities, particularly at the power forward position (with the graduation of Deon Thompson and Ed Davis’ departure to the NBA Draft Lottery), Henson has a chance to solidify his draft status and start turning his potential into productivity.-hoopsworld

gregoden08
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong…I think Jones is an amazing prospect, but how is he a better prospect than Barnes? Barnes is a much more complete offensive player, a better defensive player, a better leader and actually plays hard all the time. Yes, Jones is taller and is probably more athletic, but besides that, how does he show anymore upside than Barnes.

Also, I like Selby a lot, but he is far from NBA ready IMO. Very turnover prone and obviously a combo guard. I like his assertiveness and athleticism though. He also plays VERY hard and doesn’t back down. Has that "it" factor.

Hale
    Participant

What makes Selby less NBA ready then any other combo guard?

gregoden08
      Participant

He needs to improve his decision making drastically. That’s the main thing.

Buzzy
    Participant

Can you divide the players up cause I lost my spot then got confused. I saw you put Perry Jones and Josh Selby seperately, but what happened from there?

TheWizard
    Participant

It was a great read, but you should have put hoopsworld at the top of the post instead of pretending that you created the whole article yourself.

stanford hoops

If I pretended to write it myself why did I put hoopsworld at the end of the article like I do with everything I copy and paste????

WizardofOz
    Participant

He put hoopsworld at the end of the article but it is hard to see and many people may not notice because it it jumbled up with many other words.

stanford hoops

Copy and paste from my iPhone. Won’t let me scroll down. That’s why I could only Space after Shelby

Mr. 19134
    Participant

GredOden008 this wasn’t a mock draft and nobody said Jones was better then Barnes right now or would go first he was just giving a scouting report of 5 of the most intriguing prospects in the draft.  

I love this list because these are my top favorite players in this draft and outside of Jones and possibly Burks these players are criminally underrated..

Josh Shelby this site has in next years mock draft going 18.  Thats right not the 2011 mock but the 2012 mock going 18.  First off to me Shelby has about as much potential as any guard in this draft including Knight and Irving.  I understand Irving is a proven great team leader and passer both things Shelby’s needs to work on.  But Irving would love to have Shelby’s size and athleticism not to mention Shelby is a better scorer with more range on his shot.  Shelby is a better prospect then Avery Bradley coming out of college and despite Avery’s average year he still managed to go in the top 20 of the draft.  Shelby is a one and done prospect and I expect him to have a huge impact his freshman year at Kansas if he can get eligible.  And he’s the type to have scouts drooling in the combine.  Shelby has to have close to a 40 inch vert and is fast as they come.  Am I the Only person who thinks that Shelby is a lottery pick this year?  And depending on how Irving and Knight perform has the potential to be the first freshman guard off the board?  Shelby will be an absolute terror in Kansas’ fastbreak offense.  

CJ Leslie is a huge darkhorse.  I can’t watch this guy play without thinking to myself if he puts it all together he is gonna be something else.  He really has no comparison.  The closest player to me is Anthony Randolph but Leslie has a better perimeter game coming into college and plays the game with an edge.  I really think people are overlooking this guy because if he plays to the level he is capable of this year he go in the 5-8 range depending on team needs.  

Snubs15
    Participant

Pretty sure its Josh Selby, not Shelby lol

sc0rebuckets11
    Participant

Sadly, Selby’s measurements are going to be really important for his stock.

I’ve heard people that’ve played against him say his shot is streaky, and im not sure if he can play without the ball.

That’s one thing i’ve never understood.. how can you call someone a combo guard, when they don’t know how to play/move without the ball. It just seems like a bailout for an undersized guard, who doesn’t have good pg skills.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login