This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Ahkasi Clay 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Willfb3
    Participant

The 2017 draft class looks perfect for Philly right now. The way I look at it, Philly still has holes at two positions. What two positions depend on how Simmons plays this year. If he does well running the point they need a 2 and a 3, and if not they need a 1 and a 2. It’s likely that Philly ends up with at least one top 5 draft pick. Lets say Simmons is great playing point. Philly should have a chance to grab either Josh Jackson (2 or 3), Fultz (can play 2), Jonathan Isaac (can play 3), or Jason Tatum (3). However, if they want to keep Simmons at the small forward spot, they are still plenty of options. They could still draft Jackson to play shooting guard or Fultz to play point or the 2. They could also draft Dennis Smith, Lonzo Ball, or De’Aaron Fox to play point. Depending on where they end up drafting some of these guys will be off the board, but this draft class is deep enough in the positions that Philly needs, that they should make out with a strong prospect that can contribute from the get go.

It’s too soon to really say but it seems things are finally looking up for the 76ers. Saric has confirmed he’s coming over this season, Embiid looks strong (I said looks, I’m not promising anything), and Simmons had a great summer league and seems happy to be in Philly. I think this group of guys is starting to get excited about how good they could be someday. I’m excited to see how it all turns out.

dazeone
    Participant

They drafted Furkan Korkmaz who is long and can shoot…. so it comes down to the best player available of the 3 positions and its all in how they use Simmons. I wanted Dennis Smith Jr prior to him being changed to 1. but I wouldn’t be mad if they got any of the players you mentioned because they can use any of them and there are vets such as Covington and Henderson that can help them adjust for the 2/3 positions. And if they get a point such as Smith or Fultz they can get a vet to teach them if Simmons is not the point. It definitely looks bright for the Sixers as long as they don’t give Noel or Okafor away with out something of value in return.

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Sixers have to Pair Simmons with a scorer.. I would say someone like Josh Jackson, Tatum, Bacon or Fultz. Simmons needs the ball in his hands. He would not fit with a pure PG, need someone who can also score

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I would go with Josh Jackson, too.

Ideally, you have a HUGE backcourt of him and Ben Simmons.

OR, you put Jackson at the 2, and Simmons at the 3, or you even go small with Simmons at the 4, and Jackson at the 3.

Dario Saric is the odd man out of the starting rotation, UNLESS he can play small forward (witht those two studs at the guard spots).

It might not be Josh Jackson Or Bust, but if the Sixers can’t get him, maybe they should think about trading down — pick up some point guard depth, a guy like Grayson Allen to play shooting guard, then get some extra picks and cash.

Ben Simmons MIGHT be able to coexist with another full time point guard, BUT they have to get a guy who fits…

This draft looks like it is a bit weaker at the top than the the 2016 draft.  If there are only 2 or 3 Tier 1 guys, then I think you draft for NEED if those Tier 1 guys are off the board.  

I am glad I am not a NBA GM — not sold on any of these guys yet, but I haven’t really followed these guys.

With Ben Simmons, he needs to be a guy who can play from MULTIPLE spots on the floor.  In today’s league you have to do that…  Draymond and LeBron do multiple things on both sides of the floor.

If there is a KILLER point guard out there, DRAFT HIM.  He and Ben and the rest of the guys can figure it out.  

Then get some 2nd round picks to stockpile potential shooters.

If you look at Magic Johnson, in his early years, his top scorers (outside of Kareem, of course) were Jamal Wilkes — a small forward, and Norm Nixon was a big time point guard… then James Worthy shows up as a high scoring small forward who could also play some stretch four — BUT they didn’t have a ton of high scoring shooting guards (later they added Byron Scott).  Michael Cooper was a 3 and D wing, but not a high scorer.

So, the Sixers COULD use a high scoring 2 guard, BUT just get some guys who can PLAY and they will probably figure it out…

If there is a shooting guard out there — take him.  Even in the top 5.  BUT, it doesn’t look like it although Josh Jackson is listed as a 3/2 although he is probably more of a small forward.  

If the Sixers need some PURE shooting guards, then I would look at Grayson Allen then that Hart kid out of Villanova.  Both seem to be big time players.  Even if they will probably be nothing more than glorified role players.

A couple of things you would probably like to do:

Run some big man pick and rolls with Ben Simmons and Embiid.  Then you wanna do some smaller ball pick and rolls with a point guard and Ben Simmons.  You still have Okafor on the blocks posting up.  So, you still need an additional ISO scorer on the weakside and a guy at the 3 point line.  You can get the ISO scorer in 2017 OR the extra ball handler/point guard dynamo.  

You would think that you go get your 3 and D guys in later drafts, BUT if you can find a few mid-first round guys who fill those needs, then trade down…

It might not be Josh Jackson Or Bust, but it could be Josh Jackson Or Point Guard or Bust.  Or, even Josh Jackson Or Point Guard Or Trade Down Or Bust.

Hitster
    Participant

The Sixers have always been a great topic for us draft monkeys, som lets look at what they have. 

Noel PF/C – Good defence, not a great scorer rookie deal expires 2017

Embiid – C has game to play PF, potential great shooting range, very hyped big, not yeat played, needs to stay sound

Okafor – C can score in post, not a great defender

Simmons PF possible some SF may well play point forward, assumed to need the ball in his hand – not played in NBA yet

Dario Saric – Very solid Euro, said to be NBA ready more a PF than SF but looks like he will compliment Simmons well. An ideal guy to come from the bench and play required role.

So it is safe to say they want to look to draft a PG, SG or a SG/SF who is a good scorer and hopefully a good mid range to 3 point shooter. Next year’s draft is PG heavy and if Simmons is going to be main ball handler than a pass first PG isn’t a major concern but you’d want a PG who was a good passer so to help with an uptempo style we assume they’d run.

Josh Jasckson as an SG/SF looks the ideal pick after him maybe combo guard Fultz, With Simmons playing as a point forward then I’d also consider Jayson Tatum if the 76ers improve and move down draft or Lakers pick comes over. Tatum could be an intangibles Shane Battier type guy you could put on an opposition SG or SF on defence if needed and use him in a free role from the bench. Having a year with Coach K at Duke would appeal to Philly when they consider him too.

The mass of PGs at the top of the draft they will look at carefully, I won’t go into detail about them as I haven’t seen enough of them yet.

I looked onto the 2018 mock to see if there was anyone there who could declare next year who jumped out at me but I didn’t see anyone.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Any good shooting guard out there besides Josh Jackson (might be more of a small forward)?

I see Grayson Allen at 20 or so but that is about it…

Memphis Madness
    Participant

The Dennis Smith, Jr. and Fultz high lights look good (but do they PASS? all I am seeing is dunks and drives).

However, I am very intrigued by a TEAM YUGE lineup of Ben Simmons, Josh Jackson, Dario Saric, Noel/Okafor, and Joel Embiid.

I think they need to finish their CORE by the 2017 draft (either picks OR trades).  

They are about to reach the upper limit on guys they can pay.

So, get a CORE guy in the first round then get some catch and shoot 3 and D guys to fill out the roster on the cheap.  Hart or some other Villanova guys in the second round.  Or, UVA players or Duke guys.  

In 2018 you are looking at getting a glorified role player more than likely, since you would probably not be picking in the top 5 — and your team would already be pretty stacked at multiple positions.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Lonzo Ball’s highlights look pretty good, too.

Looks like some really good point guard options in next summer’s draft.

Then if I were Philly I would try to bring Andre Iguodala back.  He has already gotten paid, has a title, a Finals MVP award, and even a gold medal.  Maybe he would like to be the veteran presence on an up and coming Philly team in a comeback tour.  He could actually help them out on the wing, as a Ben Simmons backup or as a guy in their shooting guard rotation.

Hitster
    Participant

Bringing Iggy back home isn’t as daft as it may sound. He has his titles, has had good pay days. Will be 33 next year. A load of teams would be after Iggy if he went to FA and a lot could depend on how GSW look to fit in possible mega salaries for KD and Steph Curry MVP.

Iggy is on $11 million odd next season and with the salaries rising, a player who can be as effective as him could easily be worth$15 million plus a year especially if it isn’t a full 4 year deal.

Philly will still have a load of guys on rookie scale in 2017 and so could easily give Iggy a deal whereby he gets a big amount in year one and possibly year two but then his salary drops in year two and definitely subsequent years when the rookies will be moving onto 2nd deals.

Iggy is a legend in Philly and coming home to contribute, provide leadership, mentoring to a talented, young group of players may appeal to him. He could fill a gap at SG and play some SF, his defensive game would be a huge help, he knows his role perfectly, could play as many minutes as reasonably needed. He’d put up a few useful points, give shooting options and possible size mismatches at SG.

ashock34
    Participant

A Paul George type player would be ideal. With the Sacremento swap and Lakers being better, Im thinking two top ten players, with one possibly being a top five and Lord dare I say it… a number one pick??? Its good to be a Sixer fan. Still its all about the Big guy, Embiid!

Ahkasi Clay
    Participant

Don’t the 76ers get the Lakers lotto pick also?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login