This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar llperez 9 years ago.

• Author
    llperez

so here are some of the major free agent signings from last summer and their stats from this year. What are your thoughts on the contracts these guys got now a year later in hindsite? Which deals look good and which ones dont?

carmelo anothony (NY)-5 years 124 mil…….24pts…7reb…3ast

eric bledsoe (PHO)-5 years 70 mil……………17pts…5reb…6ast

luol deng (MIA)-2 years 20 mil………………..14pts…5reb…2ast

channing frye (ORL)- 4 years 32 mil………….7pts…4reb…1ast

rudy gay (SAC)-4 years 60 mil…………………21pts…6reb…4ast

ben gordon (ORL)- 2 years 9 mil………………6pts…1reb…1ast

marcin gortat (WSH)-5 years 60 mil………….12pts…9reb…1ast

gordon hayward (UTH)-4 years 60 mil……….19pts…5reb…4ast

chandler parsons (DAL)-3 years 46 mil……….16pts…5reb…2ast

lance stephenson (CHA)- 3 years 27 mil……….8pts…5reb…4ast

isaiah thomas (PHO)- 4 years 27 mil……………17pts…2reb…4ast

nick young (LAL)- 4 years 21 mil……………….13pts…2reb…1ast

boris diaw (SAS)- 4 years 30 mil………………..9pts…4reb…3ast

nick5354
    Participant

That Gortat contract is a nightmare. The amoutn per year is not much of an issue as I think it is fair to say Gortat should be getting around $12 mil, it is just the length. 

nick5354
    Participant

That Gortat contract is a nightmare. The amoutn per year is not much of an issue as I think it is fair to say Gortat should be getting around $12 mil, it is just the length. 

trelos6
    Participant

9 mil a year for that scrub.  His shooting splits are just turrrible.

trelos6
    Participant

9 mil a year for that scrub.  His shooting splits are just turrrible.

Reptilian Monk
    Participant

Isaiah Thomas contract, is a good contract. He is very productive and at a good price for a potential 6th man of the year. 

Reptilian Monk
    Participant

Isaiah Thomas contract, is a good contract. He is very productive and at a good price for a potential 6th man of the year. 

TRC1991
    Participant

Channing Frye’s contract is unbearable…3 more years of paying this guy $8million a year…What a terrible signing. 7.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg on 39% shooting.

PER of 9.54

TRC1991
    Participant

Channing Frye’s contract is unbearable…3 more years of paying this guy $8million a year…What a terrible signing. 7.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg on 39% shooting.

PER of 9.54

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

Bad fit for a rebuilding team. Could be a useful piece for a contender. They should look to trade him, although that contract might make it difficult.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

Bad fit for a rebuilding team. Could be a useful piece for a contender. They should look to trade him, although that contract might make it difficult.

high floor
      Participant

His defense is an abomination. All of the unique things he supposedly brought on offense are flushed away x2 on the defensive side. He recently had three straight healthy DNP’s on a 25 win team in the East.

Personally I have to eat crow on that signing because I thought is was a pretty good for Orlando at the time. He opened up driving lanes for Bledsoe & Dragic beautifully last year, and with slashers like Payton & Oladipo still developing their jumpers it seemed like a nice fit. Just a terrible contract

high floor
      Participant

His defense is an abomination. All of the unique things he supposedly brought on offense are flushed away x2 on the defensive side. He recently had three straight healthy DNP’s on a 25 win team in the East.

Personally I have to eat crow on that signing because I thought is was a pretty good for Orlando at the time. He opened up driving lanes for Bledsoe & Dragic beautifully last year, and with slashers like Payton & Oladipo still developing their jumpers it seemed like a nice fit. Just a terrible contract

Hitster
    Participant

Boris Diaw has given decent value too as a proven bench guy but the Spurs don’t give out many bad contracts.

Gortat’s contract length and even that of Melo’s is a concern, I don’t like to see huge anounts of money committed year’s ahead to guys who will be 34/35 when they reach the end of the deal. With someone like Gortat maybe front load it to get the last year down to say $8 or $9 million, those types of deals are easier to move on than a $12 million deal. 

Melo has a player option for a little under $28 million when he will be 34 years old, that to me is worrying too.

Hitster
    Participant

Boris Diaw has given decent value too as a proven bench guy but the Spurs don’t give out many bad contracts.

Gortat’s contract length and even that of Melo’s is a concern, I don’t like to see huge anounts of money committed year’s ahead to guys who will be 34/35 when they reach the end of the deal. With someone like Gortat maybe front load it to get the last year down to say $8 or $9 million, those types of deals are easier to move on than a $12 million deal. 

Melo has a player option for a little under $28 million when he will be 34 years old, that to me is worrying too.

juves4783
    Participant

here’s a couple other factors…

gordon has a team option so it’s not as bad as it seems.

thomas’ contract scales down every year by $300-500k.

stephenson, diaw and young have team options in their final years.

deng, gay, hayward, parsons and melo have player options in their final years which would be assumed that they all opt in.

i think the really bad ones are going to be frye, melo, gortat and young (since he’s such a head case for a role player).  most of these are based on length to their age.

the meh group is diaw, stephenson, gay, deng and gordon.  diaw is in a system where stats don’t really matter.  stephenson is still young and has a year left before a team option.  that’s actually not too bad for trade value.  gordon can be dropped this offseason.  gay and deng are ok for what their contracts are.

the good ones are parsons, hayward, bledsoe and thomas.  i think all will continue to improve and will probably peak out near the ends of their contracts.  i thought pre-rondo parsons was really good.  hayward is the product of 2 very young pgs.  

juves4783
    Participant

here’s a couple other factors…

gordon has a team option so it’s not as bad as it seems.

thomas’ contract scales down every year by $300-500k.

stephenson, diaw and young have team options in their final years.

deng, gay, hayward, parsons and melo have player options in their final years which would be assumed that they all opt in.

i think the really bad ones are going to be frye, melo, gortat and young (since he’s such a head case for a role player).  most of these are based on length to their age.

the meh group is diaw, stephenson, gay, deng and gordon.  diaw is in a system where stats don’t really matter.  stephenson is still young and has a year left before a team option.  that’s actually not too bad for trade value.  gordon can be dropped this offseason.  gay and deng are ok for what their contracts are.

the good ones are parsons, hayward, bledsoe and thomas.  i think all will continue to improve and will probably peak out near the ends of their contracts.  i thought pre-rondo parsons was really good.  hayward is the product of 2 very young pgs.  

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong, Orlando were too much under the cap and that had to sign someone to make the required minimum ?  Not sure if that was Gordon or Frye or even both of them ?

I think Hayward is pretty good value. Bledsoe scares me a bit, I am not sure if he can stay healthy….

Bad – Deng is washed up. He has just too miles now. I think everyone knows how much I had Melonoma and his franchise crippling contract…The Knicks aren’t going anywhere with him and that contract

Endlessknight
      Participant

They (The Magic) could’ve just took bad contracts for draft picks like the Sixers.

Endlessknight
      Participant

They (The Magic) could’ve just took bad contracts for draft picks like the Sixers.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong, Orlando were too much under the cap and that had to sign someone to make the required minimum ?  Not sure if that was Gordon or Frye or even both of them ?

I think Hayward is pretty good value. Bledsoe scares me a bit, I am not sure if he can stay healthy….

Bad – Deng is washed up. He has just too miles now. I think everyone knows how much I had Melonoma and his franchise crippling contract…The Knicks aren’t going anywhere with him and that contract

llperez

i included the gordon contract on this list becasue that was one that really bugged me last year. I know the money is not crippling by any means, but the guy just wasnt any good last year and i couldnt understand that money for him. there are D league call ups not even scratching 1 mil who are better then that guy. This isnt hindsite, i was scratching my head then. I just dont like seeing all these guys trying to bust their tail to get into the league and have to scratch and claw for spots while a vet who has banked millions who flat out doesnt bring it anymore gets to add on to his bank account. 

Hayward was another guy i was hard on but he has progressed and helped utah play even better then i anticipated, he might prove worth it. 

Lance is another one i was wrong about, i thought he was going to break out and i thought indiana was crazy for letting him go. I havent even seen much of him this year, but the numbers speak for themselves. I dont know what his deal is becasue the guy is talented and plays both ends.

i think NY was in a tough situation with melo. I truly dont think phil jackson thought that highly of melo, but when he realized there was no one out there available, he didnt want to risk the embarrassment of his first big move being letting a key guy go. So i think he paniced and paid up. Now they are still an embarrassment and they have a huge salary anchor on the squad to boot.

llperez

i included the gordon contract on this list becasue that was one that really bugged me last year. I know the money is not crippling by any means, but the guy just wasnt any good last year and i couldnt understand that money for him. there are D league call ups not even scratching 1 mil who are better then that guy. This isnt hindsite, i was scratching my head then. I just dont like seeing all these guys trying to bust their tail to get into the league and have to scratch and claw for spots while a vet who has banked millions who flat out doesnt bring it anymore gets to add on to his bank account. 

Hayward was another guy i was hard on but he has progressed and helped utah play even better then i anticipated, he might prove worth it. 

Lance is another one i was wrong about, i thought he was going to break out and i thought indiana was crazy for letting him go. I havent even seen much of him this year, but the numbers speak for themselves. I dont know what his deal is becasue the guy is talented and plays both ends.

i think NY was in a tough situation with melo. I truly dont think phil jackson thought that highly of melo, but when he realized there was no one out there available, he didnt want to risk the embarrassment of his first big move being letting a key guy go. So i think he paniced and paid up. Now they are still an embarrassment and they have a huge salary anchor on the squad to boot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login