This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    JM40
    Participant

1. Tim Duncan
    2. Tracy McGrady
    3. Chauncey Billups
    4. Stephen Jackson
    5. Tim Thomas
    6. Tony Battie
    7. Bubba Wells
    8. Austin Croshere
    9. Maurice Taylor
    10. Antonio Daniels
    11. Keith Van Horn
    12. Anthony Parker
    13. Bobby Jackson
    14. Kelvin Cato
    15. Adonal Foyle
    16. Ron Mercer
    17. Jacque Vaughn
    18. Scot Pollard
    19. Danny Fortson
    20. Derek Anderson
    21. Olivier Saint Jean
    22. Marc Jackson
    23. Charles O’Bannon
    24. Marko Milic
    25. Brevin Knight
    26. Mark Blount
    27. Rodrick Rhodes

dazeone
    Participant

1. Tim Duncan      10. Bobby Jackson……then the rest

2.Tracy McGrady

3.Chauncey Billups

4.Tim Thomas

5.Keith Van Horn

6.Stephen Jackson

7.Brevin Knight

8.Marc Jackson

9.Adonal Foyle

dazeone
    Participant

1. Tim Duncan      10. Bobby Jackson……then the rest

2.Tracy McGrady

3.Chauncey Billups

4.Tim Thomas

5.Keith Van Horn

6.Stephen Jackson

7.Brevin Knight

8.Marc Jackson

9.Adonal Foyle

lakrimo
    Participant

I think Bobby Jackson should be way higher than 13th…Maybe 6th. Also Bubba Wells 7th? seriously?

lakrimo
    Participant

I think Bobby Jackson should be way higher than 13th…Maybe 6th. Also Bubba Wells 7th? seriously?

JoeWolf1

Alvin Williams, dude. He started 2 full seasons for the Raptors and averaged 9 ppg on his career. How can you put "Mr. 44 Career Games" Marko Milic and Rodrick Rhodes over him?

JoeWolf1

Alvin Williams, dude. He started 2 full seasons for the Raptors and averaged 9 ppg on his career. How can you put "Mr. 44 Career Games" Marko Milic and Rodrick Rhodes over him?

doubledribbler
    Participant

Why so many Tim Thomas over Van Horn posts? I know they got traded for each other a few times, both retired fairly young, and Thomas should have been the better player, but for their careers Van Horn was the better player.

Overall an interesting class though. Not many of those guys had consistant careers. Quite a few had periods of being pretty good and then just dropped off. Some injury issues. You can definitely see how tanking and not landing Duncan could have hurt a franchise, because outside of McGrady you were not getting a star.

doubledribbler
    Participant

Why so many Tim Thomas over Van Horn posts? I know they got traded for each other a few times, both retired fairly young, and Thomas should have been the better player, but for their careers Van Horn was the better player.

Overall an interesting class though. Not many of those guys had consistant careers. Quite a few had periods of being pretty good and then just dropped off. Some injury issues. You can definitely see how tanking and not landing Duncan could have hurt a franchise, because outside of McGrady you were not getting a star.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

It is fine to scroll through the NBADraft.net archives (where it has Olivier Saint Jean, which was his name at the time, as opposed to Tariq Abdul-Wahad, which he later changed it to) to mix/match names. However, it is not necessarily the most accurate way to go over these guys careers, which I am guessing is at least a part of why you would make a "Redraft". So, I give you (and other people looking up basketball statistics), Basketball-Reference.com. Your top 4 is solid, though their is definite debate beyond 5.

As the poster above me states, the Keith Van Horn/Tim Thomas debate is not totally clear cut. Thomas ended up playing more games, though Van Horn’s prime was definitely better. 16, 6.8 and 1.6 for Van Horn to 11.5, 4.1 and 1.5 for Thomas. The younger Thomas lasted in the league a bit longer (Van Horn succumbed to injury that plagued him throughout quite a bit of his career), though in the end, it is indeed debatable at the very least as to which one would have been a better pick. Kind of funny, considering they were traded for each other to begin their careers. KVH actually spent more time with New Jersey than Thomas did with Philly, if that is a factor. Though, Thomas was traded for Tyrone Hill, who became a nice role player for Philly’s trip to the Finals in 2001. KVH was New Jersey’s 3rd leading scorer on the Nets Finals team the next year, though. Think that Van Horn was at least deserving to be ranked higher than 11th.

Other thoughts:

Bonzi Wells=Wing man out of Ball State who was the 11th pick in the 1998 Draft. He was a good bench option for some good teams and even a 2nd scorer on some Trail Blazer teams that would get zapped after the first round. Had he been in the 1997 Draft, he would have been at or above where you have him ranked

Bubba Wells=Wing man out of Austin Peay who was the 34th pick in the 1997 Draft. Bubba lasted one season in the NBA, his claim to fame being the "Hack-a-Rodman" that Don Nelson tried to employ during a game against the Chicago Bulls. Bubba had the embarassing task of trying to foul Dennis Rodman whenever he was on defense. He did it so well, he fouled out in around 3 minutes. Nellie kept him around for the rest of the season, he even got a chance to score 21 against a rookie Tim Duncan and San Antonio (Timmy had 26, 16 and 5 blocks, so limited ROY chat for Bubba after that one). Still will be best remembered for this:

I do have appreciation for Maurice Taylor, though I think it is questionable to rank him over Keith Van Horn and Antonio Daniels. KVH for the reasons listed above, Daniels for having played 300+ more games. Not to mention, while Antonio Daniels never really lived up to his 4th pick billing, he was a solid role player on some pretty good teams. Maurice was fun to watch and lived up to or surpassed his draft value at 14 in this one, though his one season of play-off basketball leaves a bit to be desired.

As my friend Joe Wolf stated, Alvin Williams is a must. The 47th pick at least garners a top 20 or so billing, he is still beloved in Toronto to this day for his versatility as a guard. Tony Battie, for as long of a career as he had, seems to be much too high. I know he went 5th, though after his rookie year, Dan Issel reffered to him as "El Busto". Not a glowing vote of confidence. He lasted a long time in the league, though I think if the draft were done again, he goes end of lottery or lower as opposed to getting held back a pick.

Overall, this was indeed the Tim Duncan draft. We saw some promise from Van Horn before he was done in by injury, though the last two seniors to be picked #1-2 were light years apart in NBA impact. Tracy McGrady gave us some great years, Chauncey Billups some big shots and S-Jax had our back with the counter attack (am sure Warriors fans will always be greatful for Captain Jack’s defensive work on Dirk Nowitzki in 2007). After that, the talent was really rather thin. One thing I will say is, use basketball-reference for your redrafts. Do some research and I think it would turn out much better. If you gave reasons for your picks or methods as well, would probably be quite well received.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

It is fine to scroll through the NBADraft.net archives (where it has Olivier Saint Jean, which was his name at the time, as opposed to Tariq Abdul-Wahad, which he later changed it to) to mix/match names. However, it is not necessarily the most accurate way to go over these guys careers, which I am guessing is at least a part of why you would make a "Redraft". So, I give you (and other people looking up basketball statistics), Basketball-Reference.com. Your top 4 is solid, though their is definite debate beyond 5.

As the poster above me states, the Keith Van Horn/Tim Thomas debate is not totally clear cut. Thomas ended up playing more games, though Van Horn’s prime was definitely better. 16, 6.8 and 1.6 for Van Horn to 11.5, 4.1 and 1.5 for Thomas. The younger Thomas lasted in the league a bit longer (Van Horn succumbed to injury that plagued him throughout quite a bit of his career), though in the end, it is indeed debatable at the very least as to which one would have been a better pick. Kind of funny, considering they were traded for each other to begin their careers. KVH actually spent more time with New Jersey than Thomas did with Philly, if that is a factor. Though, Thomas was traded for Tyrone Hill, who became a nice role player for Philly’s trip to the Finals in 2001. KVH was New Jersey’s 3rd leading scorer on the Nets Finals team the next year, though. Think that Van Horn was at least deserving to be ranked higher than 11th.

Other thoughts:

Bonzi Wells=Wing man out of Ball State who was the 11th pick in the 1998 Draft. He was a good bench option for some good teams and even a 2nd scorer on some Trail Blazer teams that would get zapped after the first round. Had he been in the 1997 Draft, he would have been at or above where you have him ranked

Bubba Wells=Wing man out of Austin Peay who was the 34th pick in the 1997 Draft. Bubba lasted one season in the NBA, his claim to fame being the "Hack-a-Rodman" that Don Nelson tried to employ during a game against the Chicago Bulls. Bubba had the embarassing task of trying to foul Dennis Rodman whenever he was on defense. He did it so well, he fouled out in around 3 minutes. Nellie kept him around for the rest of the season, he even got a chance to score 21 against a rookie Tim Duncan and San Antonio (Timmy had 26, 16 and 5 blocks, so limited ROY chat for Bubba after that one). Still will be best remembered for this:

I do have appreciation for Maurice Taylor, though I think it is questionable to rank him over Keith Van Horn and Antonio Daniels. KVH for the reasons listed above, Daniels for having played 300+ more games. Not to mention, while Antonio Daniels never really lived up to his 4th pick billing, he was a solid role player on some pretty good teams. Maurice was fun to watch and lived up to or surpassed his draft value at 14 in this one, though his one season of play-off basketball leaves a bit to be desired.

As my friend Joe Wolf stated, Alvin Williams is a must. The 47th pick at least garners a top 20 or so billing, he is still beloved in Toronto to this day for his versatility as a guard. Tony Battie, for as long of a career as he had, seems to be much too high. I know he went 5th, though after his rookie year, Dan Issel reffered to him as "El Busto". Not a glowing vote of confidence. He lasted a long time in the league, though I think if the draft were done again, he goes end of lottery or lower as opposed to getting held back a pick.

Overall, this was indeed the Tim Duncan draft. We saw some promise from Van Horn before he was done in by injury, though the last two seniors to be picked #1-2 were light years apart in NBA impact. Tracy McGrady gave us some great years, Chauncey Billups some big shots and S-Jax had our back with the counter attack (am sure Warriors fans will always be greatful for Captain Jack’s defensive work on Dirk Nowitzki in 2007). After that, the talent was really rather thin. One thing I will say is, use basketball-reference for your redrafts. Do some research and I think it would turn out much better. If you gave reasons for your picks or methods as well, would probably be quite well received.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login