This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar dede21 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    WestConfsOverrated
    Participant

Looking ahead a little bit, but anyone excited to watch a little extra basketball this summer?

We know team USA will have no Dwight Howard and Derek Rose based on recent reports.

I’d imagine the 12 man roster being:

Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler

Deron Williams, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love, Lamarcus Aldridge

Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh

I don’t follow international basketball so some input would be interesting from those who know about the international scene and who to look out for and which teams to watch.

Will Spain be as dangerous as last olympics without Rubio? Also do you think the condensed NBA schedule will have an impact on the play?

Nihochu
    Participant

I think the teams definetly to watch out for are the usual Lithuania , Spain , France , Serbia. Also i think a team that could do very well are Great Britain because they have not had a full depth squad untill now. Now that  Pops Mensah Bonsu , Luol Deng , Joel Freeland , Ben Gordon are all able to play i think Great Britain can surprise a few teams in the Olympics , also they got home court …. 

dede21

britain has byron mullens too they are stacked

jwet33
    Participant

blake?

dede21

Griffin is a bad fit cannot shoot or play defense, whats why the USA lost in 2002-2006 so many guys who could not shoot or defend, Marbury, Iverson, Baron Davis, Boozer, Andre Miller etc. even lebron circa 2004 might fall into that category.

A Lil English
    Participant

Britain are not stacked. I live there, get a grip.

A Lil English
    Participant

Spain will be fine without Rubio, he is not nearly as important to them as he is to the Wolves.

Nihochu
    Participant

i live there too , they are stacked , more stacked then they have ever been, not like spain or france or usa , but they have ligitamate players unlike 10 years ago

akhan786
    Participant

Reports are that Demar Derozan, Demarcus Cousins, John Wall, and Kyrie Irving have all accepted invitations to the camp.

They’re still trying to hear back from Greg Monroe though.

A Lil English
    Participant

I don’t see how we can use the word stacked for GB other than to say: They are more "stacked" than they’ve ever been but that aint exactly saying much.

Who can really compete on this team beside Deng and Ben Gordon (if he plays!)?

Most of the players from the terrible Eurobasket 2011 campaign will be returning plus who?
    BJ Mullens….

dede21

The USA is going to win but I think Britain is probably going to get bronze maybe silver, home court means a lot Turkey was 8-1 with the home court only losing to the USA.

M-Eazy
    Participant

I’ll tell you one thing Carmelo Anthony will be starting for Team USA.

Starters will be PG – CP3; SG – Kobe; SF – LeBron; PF – Melo; C – Ty Chandler

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Wade said the other day that he’s 50/50 Now about playing in the Games..He cited a need to Rest his body…He also said he thinks Players should get paid to play in the Olympics…

DurantsWingspan

Wade is a tool. Replace him with EJ, he fits better internationally anyways. 

A Lil English
    Participant

Yeah, cos when Wade was the top scorer on the 2008 gold medal team they were all thinking we are missing a player like Eric Gordon. SMH.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Lamarcus Aldridge is out with hip surgery.

Based on reports, Lamar Odom will be there and ready to play. I think he’s using this as a springboard to get ready for next season. IF he’s on his game, then I think he should make the team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dwyane Wade didn’t play… He’s been really banged up this season. He’s getting up there in age… He was drafted with LeBron, Melo and Bosh, but people forget he’s about 3 years older than them.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Yeah, I think Aldridge is out too.  I would replace him with Blake Griffin.  He is a great athlete with good size.  He would give Team USA two bigs who have good chemistry with Chris Paul (Blake and Tyson Chandler).  He’s a good finisher and can play above the rim.  The USA has some good bigs in Love, Chandler, and Bosh but those three aren’t that explosive.  They aren’t all-world athletes who can dunk over everybody.  Blake Griffin would help with that.

If not Blake, then look at Anthony Davis.  He would be the backup 5/4 who can block shots and rebound.  He can also give you some different looks on offense. 

WestConfsOverrated
    Participant

I’m interested in watching the Lithuanian team in the Olympics if they qualify like most figure they will, that will be the first time for a lot of us get to check out Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas.

Didn’t know about the Aldridge and Wade possible scratches. I could see Eric Gordon and Blake replacing them though not sure about the health of Eric Gordon going into the olympics.

I may be wrong but I don’t think Serbia will be in the olympics in basketball this year.

In: Britian, USA, Tunisia, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, Spain, France, China

Qualifying Tournament: Russia, Macedonia, Lithuania, Greece, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, New Zealand, Angola, Nigeria, Jordan, Korea

Just noticed Joakim Noah is playing on team France. Think we’ll see the prospect Evan Fournier on team France? Didn’t see his name on their roster.

WestConfsOverrated
    Participant

Anyone know anything about the prospects that could be on team Brazil, Augusto Cesar Lima and Lucas Nogueira?

Ghost01
    Participant

I would say you did a good job predicting the roster, only with the possibilities of Davis and/or Griffin replacing either Bosh or Aldridge (whose also hurt right now).

and1rodman91
    Participant

I hope Anthony Davis gets on this team. Imagine a 19 year old with tremendous upside playing on the USA National Team with all that talent before he even plays a game in the NBA. If some of those vets teach Anthony a thing or two. Literally the sky is the limit for him

aamir543
    Participant

Dede, Iverson was both a good shooter and a good defender, people forget that he was very good in regards to on ball pressure, and he had a good enough shot. 

Griffin would only be on the team for a potential historic poster. Don’t you think that within the next two olympics and one world championships that if Griffin plays in them we’re bound to see a Carter on Weis-esqe dunk, potentially even greater?

WestConfsOverrated
    Participant

Good input.

dede21

Iverson was not a good shooter huh?  Ok he was maybe a decent defender at defending points but the problem was he played the 2 and then your point guard has to guard the 2 because Iverson is too small, so Marbury had to guard Ginobili and USA lost.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login