This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Siggy 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    joe2324
    Participant

OKC is already dominant and Kevin Martin, although not quiet as good as James Harden, has proven to be a pretty dominant scorer. Things are going to get real interesting in the 2013 draft depending on where the raptors are picking b/c OKC has their top pick top 3 protected next year. They could potentially add a big time star like Shabazz which would make an already dominant team even more dangerous. What I would like to see happen is if OKC is picking 4th to trade that pick with Kendrick Perkins and try to get Cody Zeller or Nerlens Noel to play the center position. Keep in mind, they still have Lamb and Perry Jones which could make this team even deeper in the bench. OKC is a team that is very well run.

KHAM83
    Participant

I might get negged heavily for this, but I think the Thunder should trade out of the draft. Why is Harden gone? Because Okc cannot afford another star. And if you’re saying “draft another prospect, then trade him like Harden” well you’re taking a risk. What are the chances they strike gold again and draft a player that 1. Turns into a star and so soon and 2. Is willing to play the 6th man role if the do become as good as Harden. Okc is in win now mode and should bring in a vet or two, while at the same time ridding themselves of Perkins’salary. I say deal the pick to a team, a long with Perkins as the cost. The team that comes to mind first is Phoenix. They’re quick retooling has failed and I think trunk love to add another lotto pick.

Phoenix gets Perkins and Toronto pick
    Okc gets Gortat, O’neal, and Telfair

Phoenix adds a 2nd lotto pick, a long with a starting center.
    Okc gets a starting center who plays above his contract and center depth in Jermaine O’neal. They also get a backup pg in Telfair. And most importantly rids themselves of Perkins.

Thoughts?

JoeyGladstone
      Participant

I agree with the Perk salary thing, but DUDE REALLY?

Have KD, Westbrook, & Ibaka on board already.
      PJ3 & Lamb ready to fill holes.

This pick SHOULD NOT be traded. You draft the BPA & insert him in the system & go from there.

This team honestly doesn’t need a “VETERAN” (a term I hate). If you were looking for a “VETERAN” player, Perk would be the kinda guy you are looking for.

Their GM knows EXACTLY what he is doing & PLEASEEEE do not try & pretend you do.

*Hugs n Kisses* from JG

draftmangt
    Participant

I’m really hoping the Cavs can somehow get that pick in a deal for Varejao.

JoeyGladstone
      Participant

The whole basketball WORLD knows the Cavs already screwed the pooch when drafting Waiters over Drummond to pair with Uncle Drew.

MAGIC deserve the pick SUCKAAA haha…..Naw really being a Magic fan I hope we have a top 10 pick to get either Goodwin/McLemore/Burke

Hitster
    Participant

I figure they look to draft as with KD, Westbrook and Ibaka on large deals they did not want Harden on a large deal at the same time, so they look to get someone on a rookie deal and worry about his 2nd contract when it comes to it.

phila9012
    Participant

They will pay the pick like 3 or 4 million, that is pretty cheap. Which is why they should keep it. They can add depth to their front court with it If they could get a center like cauley stein or plumlee or len or bennett that would be great for them. Bennett coming of the bench with kevin martin is a pretty decent 1 2 combo on the bench or a center that could replace kendrick perkins when they trade him or he leaves would be good too.

Hitster
    Participant

The Thunder would I assume look for NBA readiness with the pick from Toronto via Houston and then maybe look for upside with the later picks. If they get a top prospect in then that person will not have to be seen as the team’s focal point given their strength so can develop almost quietly.

Status Quo
    Participant

For a team like OKC, keeping this pick and drafting the best available prospect makes sense no matter what. They are a team built on two superstars, an athletic defensive big and cheap talent. In this draft you pick the best available player, see how he works out as a rookie and develop him slow. If he is good enough to crack the rotation, even better but trading a pick like this doesn’t make sense.

They still have areas of concern going forward, Perkin’s contract (possible amnesty), what to do with Kevin Martin (expiring contract), and finding rotation players for cheap. With Jackson, PJ3, and Lamb, all on rookie contracts, adding another lottery talent to your young core makes sense. The Thunder and Presti are about flexibility, they keep cap room and stay under the luxury tax if they can strike gold at number 4 or down in this draft.

I think going big makes sense for them considering the number of minutes dished out at other skill positions. Thabeet may have earned a spot in the future with this team but adding another big with that pick like Plumlee or Len or drafting off of potential with players like Austin or Cauley-Stein makes sense for down the road. Another position of interest to them could be finding KD a capable backup at small forward. Otto Porter, Glenn Robinson III or Alex Pothyress could all be available at the slot the Thunder pick.

Hitster
    Participant

I could see Presti having a long hard look at all the Kentucky guys given Coach Cal’s reputation for developing one and done guys.Also if Bazz was still on board at 4 say then I don’t see Presti passing on him as he’d be the nearest like for like they could get to Harden.

Siggy
      Participant

1 and done guys aren’t developed. They’re drafted primarily because of their natural talent (and hype).
      A lot of the one and done players who play under Cal leave just as raw as they were when they entered the program, but blue chippers are blue chippers and they’re highly regarded regardless of where they go to school.

As for the question, if I were Presti I’d look to package Perkins in a pick swap, trading back in the lotto if at all possible.
      Maybe something like Perkins + TOR pick to UTA for Millsap + UTA 1st. Use the UTA 1st on someone like Mason Plumlee, who’d be more ready to contribute right away.

Either that or keep their pick and draft Alex Len.

the I in win
        Participant

Would you say Cal puts players in their best position to succeed then? I feel like the success and improvement of his players is in large part to getting more comfortable and acclimated to a high level of play as the season goes on but at the same time I have always thought he does a good job of turning athlete/scoring point guards into better leaders and distributers and “rounding out” the games of his big men by either getting them more physical and focused on playing down low (wilter, cousins) or bringing them outside to show some range (harrelson, davis later in the season). I’m not saying he’s a great developmental coach but at least average (and the best recruiter).

Siggy
          Participant

No, I wouldn’t.
          I’d say he’s good at getting his players to sacrifice a lot of their games in an attempt to get the pieces to fit together for 1 yr. He also attempts to hide players’ weaknesses and does a decent job at that, but I’d prefer to see improvement in a player’s weaknesses as opposed to just hiding them.
          I haven’t seen a whole lot of development in his PGs while under him. Out of all the PGs he’s had I can’t name one who left his program being a much improved decision maker.
          As for his bigs, I think he does a good job limiting their roles so that they’re in a position to limit their mistakes, while making easier plays.

If I was a player who wanted to get better during my stay in college, I’d pick a different program and coach to play under (Self, Beilein, Matta, Crean, Coach K for example), but the hype and exposure would be hard to turn down. Playing under Cal is a great place for a player to start building his brand. So from a marketing standpoint, maybe Cal does put his players in the best position to succeed. I think playing for that program is a stock booster in itself. whether the boost was earned or not.

Hitster
    Participant

The Thunder don’t want to take on another $10 million plus contract long term is what I figure, Perkins will eventually expire and Kevin Martin may be renewed for around MLE but they don’t want another guy on say $40 million over 4 years so I feel they will look to continue to add young talent via the draft.

The one thing that the Thunder have never done in recent years is add a veteran presence, sure they have Nick Collinson but he has been there his entire career, maybe they add someone chasing a ring for veteran’s minimum next season.

They have so many draft options and until we know how these picks will play out and who gets what in which year, it is hard to 2nd guess what the Thunder might do. But I would back Sam Presti to make the right moves and he will have numerous draft options to play with.

Also if the high pick does play out this year a prospect could be highly turned by a promise from a contender and basically refuse to work out for any more teams.

the I in win
    Participant

It is possible the Raptors fall flat on their face and this pick doesn’t move this year. But on a real note I think BPA or great trade offer are the best answers right now but a lot of things could happen of the course of the next half season that would make this decision a lot easier.

Coby Karl
    Participant

Kings/Thunder
    Cousins
    For
    Perkins
    Jeremy Lamb
    Toronto Pick

Siggy
      Participant

The Kings would have to throw in some filler to make the salaries work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login