This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Memphis Madness 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Memphis Madness
    Participant

It is FINALLY here!

The OFFICIAL 76ers 2017 Draft Thread!

What we have all been waiting for!

Ok, ok, I don’t know a TON about these guys, but I DO KNOW what the 76ers have right now.  Look set/stacked at positions 3-4.  Ben Simmons and Saric should be able to hold down the 3, aside from adding an uber athletic 3 and D wing to round things out…

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am OFFICIALLY on the DJ Stephens to 76ers bandwagon if he gets cut by the Grizzlies.

Uber-athleticism and unreal hops would fit NICELY with Ben Simmons all-around game.

Other than that, the Sixers still need to round out their backcourt, with glorified utility point guard TJ McConnell the only long-term guard on their roster.

JOSH JACKSON OR BUST!

Haven’t seen him play, but he plays the 3.  Harry Giles plays the 4.

The Sixers need a 3 MORE than they need a four although they already have 2 3’s and basically no 4’s (it CAN be argued that Oak, Noel, and Embiid aka THE O NO B***! center rotation).

Simmons at the point, Josh Jackson at the 2, ok, i looked and apparently he plays the 2, too.

Yes, so the 76ers REALLY need a 2.

So, Josh Jackson or BUST!

Other than that: 

Harry Giles.  Never seen him play but I heard that he is good.

If he is the Best Player Available then I think the Sixers take him.  

BUT, if big man combos of Embiid-Noel or Embiid-Oak, or even Oak-Noel work then I wouldn’t take a power forward that high.

I would ASSUME this would either be Philly’s pick if they cash in on the lottery again, OR, more likely a Lakers pick if it loses its protection.

I would rather KEEP the bigs now, and then target a stretch 4 or something in the 2nd round. Might only need a legit power forward for 10 to 15 minutes a night anyway.

After JOSH JACKSON OR BUST, I am targeting a POINT GUARD.

LOVE the Ben Simmons potential at point guard, but I also like him at the 3.  I even like TJ McConnell but his upside as a point guard might be limited to a top 10-15 point guard type.

So, maybe he might project better as an elite BACKUP point guard.

So, let’s go with one the top tier point guards that will FIT with the rest of the Sixers Young Guns.  Bonus points for a point guard who can also play some 2.  Even better would be a high level point guard with great upside who can ALSO play the 2 and who ALSO gives the team a change of pace (when McConnell comes out of the game).

If Philly wins something closer to 30 or 35 games — hey, anything is possible, then they PROBABLY need to look at a proven commodity (sort of) at the 2 in Grayson Allen.  

He can score, can create some, and is a good athlete.  

I think I like him better in the late first round but who knows?

If the TOP guys are off the board, and the Sixers are picking something like 8 for themselves and 4 for the Lakers then I think they can trade down a bit to get one of each — a point guard, a shooting guard, and a small forward.

I am not a YUGE fan of 2017 draft.  

So, this draft might not be as good.  Could be shallow at the top, too.

Then with second rounds picks target your normal things: 3 and D wing players, a stretch 4, and a 7 foot or 7’1 shot blocker.

IF the Philly bigs (including Saric) really pan out, and IF TJ McConnell looks like THE GUY at point guard, and if the Philly picks fall out of the top 5 or the top 3, or even if they don’t get the top pick, then I think they should target NEED.  

Looking at second round guys, I actually like a few guys here: Justin Jackson could be the backup backup athletic energy small forward they need.  Jason Hart is a Villanova guy who looks like a serviceable shooting guard.  I would target him…  Then Nigel Hayes is a classic good Big 10 basketball player who might not be anything special in the NBA (at best).  But, should be a good utility guy in the 10th or 11th man role.  He would be a good pick if he gets 3 point range (not sure what he shoots out there).  Austin Nichols showed some flashes in Memphis, but is basically a finesse center in a tweener forwards body.  But, he could be a guy to keep an eye on.

If Philly has 3 second rounders, I would get Justin Jackson, Nigel Hayes, and Jason Hart.  And those 3 guys could outperform Philly’s first rounder or couple of first rounders.

Worst case scenario for Philly I think is go get those 3 in the second round (Jackson, Hayes, and Hart) to pick up some depth at the 2-4 spots, then draft a Best Point Guard Available in the first round.  Then you go after a shooting guard in free agency next summer.

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

I’m not high on Jackson. I see his stock falling off a lot once the season starts.

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

Im about as excited as anyone about Jackson, Hes going to run wild in Bill Selfs system.. I think hes everything you need to make a star in the NBA..

SeattleSuperChronics
        Participant

Bill Self is known to hold back his stars. You see it almost every year.

There’s a reason why Jackson didn’t draw interest from Duke or Kentucky. He is a low IQ chucker that will have problems in selfs system. Just watch. 

Robb_CRobb_C
          Robb_C
          Participant

He was being chased by Kentucky, His mother shut them down.. Jackson is pretty intelligent very well spoken, his basketball IQ is quite high actually.. Dont throw around cliches that are clearly not true.. Izzo loved Jackson which says a ton about his character.. His mother was a former player and understands the politics of College Ball.. 

SeattleSuperChronics
            Participant

Why should it say a ton about his character? Izzo recruits low character guys all the time. Looks at Draymond slapping people who don’t show him respect. Oh and then there’s Keith Appling who thought it was a good idea to bring an AK47 to a strip club. 

And accordig to rivals Kentucky never offered. Arizona was the other school. I’m biased here but Seam Miller is a horrible human being who will recruit anyone that can play regardless of "character"

SeattleSuperChronics
            Participant

Why should it say a ton about his character? Izzo recruits low character guys all the time. Looks at Draymond slapping people who don’t show him respect. Oh and then there’s Keith Appling who thought it was a good idea to bring an AK47 to a strip club. 

And accordig to rivals Kentucky never offered. Arizona was the other school. I’m biased here but Seam Miller is a horrible human being who will recruit anyone that can play regardless of "character"

SeattleSuperChronics
            Participant

Robb_CRobb_C
          Robb_C
          Participant

He was being chased by Kentucky, His mother shut them down.. Jackson is pretty intelligent very well spoken, his basketball IQ is quite high actually.. Dont throw around cliches that are clearly not true.. Izzo loved Jackson which says a ton about his character.. His mother was a former player and understands the politics of College Ball.. 

Robb_CRobb_C
          Robb_C
          Participant

SeattleSuperChronics
        Participant

There’s a reason why Jackson didn’t draw interest from Duke or Kentucky. He is a low IQ chucker that will have problems in selfs system. Just watch. 

SeattleSuperChronics
        Participant

SlickBouncePass
        Participant

he is more oj mayo than kobe or tmac 

SlickBouncePass
        Participant

holefillers1
          Participant

Boom! Thats it, you nailed it. Something about his game I didn’t like and That is it. A guy who dominates his teams posessions using seemingly every tool in the bag.   May end up having trouble developing a single tool that makes him the top pick.  Its the Josh Selby Malik Newman Perry jones theory.

holefillers1
          Participant

Boom! Thats it, you nailed it. Something about his game I didn’t like and That is it. A guy who dominates his teams posessions using seemingly every tool in the bag.   May end up having trouble developing a single tool that makes him the top pick.  Its the Josh Selby Malik Newman Perry jones theory.

Hitster
            Participant

He should have gone to Syracuse to play under Jim Boeheim as your description sounds rather like the cynical view of Melo.

Hitster
            Participant

He should have gone to Syracuse to play under Jim Boeheim as your description sounds rather like the cynical view of Melo.

Hitster
            Participant

holefillers1
          Participant

SlickBouncePass
        Participant

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

Im about as excited as anyone about Jackson, Hes going to run wild in Bill Selfs system.. I think hes everything you need to make a star in the NBA..

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

I’m not high on Jackson. I see his stock falling off a lot once the season starts.

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

VRod305
    Participant

I need to see these guys play college basketball before I make a decision on who I want.

Regardless, we are heading toward two top 5 picks. It’s going to be amazing. Really rooting for the Kings to get No. 1 so we can take it.

VRod305
    Participant

I need to see these guys play college basketball before I make a decision on who I want.

Regardless, we are heading toward two top 5 picks. It’s going to be amazing. Really rooting for the Kings to get No. 1 so we can take it.

VRod305
    Participant

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

I would say Dwayne Bacon, Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum or Bust

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Danielcmccarty
    Participant

I would say one of the strong point guards or bust. 

Danielcmccarty
    Participant

Danielcmccarty
    Participant

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Ok.  Interesting.  This thread confirms some of my suspicions.  Maybe not as DEEP as other drafts.  Maybe not even a SUPERSTAR at the top of the draft.

Could be a stock picker’s draft.

Now let’s watch and see what happens, BUT if there aren’t any Tier 1 guys out there then you wanna go with a guy who FITS, both in terms of skills, team need, and cultural fit.  

For Philly, yeah, UNLESS they get the top pick and Josh Jackson and IF he is more of a T Mac, high level scorer, then I think they go with a POINT GUARD.

What I think Philly needs to do is what I usually try to do in fantasy sports.  Overload a few of the contrarian positions.  So, the NBA is doing "small ball" and after that teams want to find those dynamic 2 way wing players.  Ok, so Philly should go the opposite way.  Get the BIGS.  They have their "Franchise Guy" in Ben Simmons although he is a point guard, small forward, power forward, basically anything but a 2 guard.  Overload the BIGS with Noel, Ja, and Embiid.  Small forward is now loaded with Simmons and Saric (both guys can ALSO play the 4).  NOW, overload the point guard spot.  Ben Simmons is a pass-first Magic type.  Then TJ McConnell is a classic floor general.  Next, go after ANOTHER point guard for a change of pace point guard, and hopefully a guy who you can put in some small-ball backcourt rotations.  

So, then even if you can’t get a 6’5 or 6’6 point guard, get one who is 6’3 and long who can really shoot and has a score-first mentality.

The earliest editions of the Showtime Lakers had Magic of course, but they also had Norm Nixon who was himself a top flight point guard.  So, they used two point guard lineups for awhile.  They traded him for Byron Scott later, but if you have talent you make it work.  Oh, and they just let Magic call the shots.  

For Philly, I am actually targeting (after their top pick) Grayson Allen and Josh Hart.  Both are basically system guys but Hart has decent size and Allen is a good athlete.  Both are gamers, too.

I get those two guys, the Best Point Guard Available at the TOP of the draft, and then look to add another guy — possibly a stretch four or a YUGE shot blocker.  

This draft probably has some real talent, then some college brand names a bit later on, but overall it looks like a landmine.  If you had wanted to do a COMPLETE REBUILD then the past 3 drafts were probably better for that.  

If you are on the rebuild, unless you get THE GUY in this draft, you should be happy to get your fifth core guy.  

For Philly, they have Simmons, Saric, Embiid, Oakfor, and Noel.  So that is FIVE there.  And, McConnell looks like a long-termer.  Only looks like they can REALLY PAY one more guy.  

In terms of what they need now, it looks like shooting, shooting, and more shooting, in combination with all-around perimeter scoring, and the ability to get to the foul line.

So, get that.  I LIKE the idea of them being SUPER VERSATILE.  So, McConnell as the traditional point guard, then a point guard/combo guard type at the 2 who is your go-to perimeter scorer, then Simmons and Saric at the forward spots, with Embiid at center.

Hart and Allen would be my two-headed two guard rotation.  

Then I like Nigel Hayes as a possible THIRD second round pick, or fourth overall pick for Philly.  Can give them a few minutes here and there at either forward spot.  Can do a bit of everything and he has experience.  He can probably be a plug-and-play guy if he is surrounded by top notch team-first guys.  Obviously, he would have to project fairly well as a rebounder, perimeter shooter, and team defender.  Draft him, lock him in long-term and you have a solid rotation guy as your 9th or 10th man for a decade.  He is your sixth front court guy behind Simmons, Embiid, Oakfor, Saric, and Noel.  

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Ok.  Interesting.  This thread confirms some of my suspicions.  Maybe not as DEEP as other drafts.  Maybe not even a SUPERSTAR at the top of the draft.

Now let’s watch and see what happens, BUT if there aren’t any Tier 1 guys out there then you wanna go with a guy who FITS, both in terms of skills, team need, and cultural fit.  

For Philly, yeah, UNLESS they get the top pick and Josh Jackson and IF he is more of a T Mac, high level scorer, then I think they go with a POINT GUARD.

What I think Philly needs to do is what I usually try to do in fantasy sports.  Overload a few of the contrarian positions.  So, the NBA is doing "small ball" and after that teams want to find those dynamic 2 way wing players.  Ok, so Philly should go the opposite way.  Get the BIGS.  They have their "Franchise Guy" in Ben Simmons although he is a point guard, small forward, power forward, basically anything but a 2 guard.  Overload the BIGS with Noel, Ja, and Embiid.  Small forward is now loaded with Simmons and Saric (both guys can ALSO play the 4).  NOW, overload the point guard spot.  Ben Simmons is a pass-first Magic type.  Then TJ McConnell is a classic floor general.  Next, go after ANOTHER point guard for a change of pace point guard, and hopefully a guy who you can put in some small-ball backcourt rotations.  

So, then even if you can’t get a 6’5 or 6’6 point guard, get one who is 6’3 and long who can really shoot and has a score-first mentality.

The earliest editions of the Showtime Lakers had Magic of course, but they also had Norm Nixon who was himself a top flight point guard.  So, they used two point guard lineups for awhile.  They traded him for Byron Scott later, but if you have talent you make it work.  Oh, and they just let Magic call the shots.  

For Philly, I am actually targeting (after their top pick) Grayson Allen and Josh Hart.  Both are basically system guys but Hart has decent size and Allen is a good athlete.  Both are gamers, too.

I get those two guys, the Best Point Guard Available at the TOP of the draft, and then look to add another guy — possibly a stretch four or a YUGE shot blocker.  

This draft probably has some real talent, then some college brand names a bit later on, but overall it looks like a landmine.  If you had wanted to do a COMPLETE REBUILD then the past 3 drafts were probably better for that.  

If you are on the rebuild, unless you get THE GUY in this draft, you should be happy to get your fifth core guy.  

For Philly, they have Simmons, Saric, Embiid, Oakfor, and Noel.  So that is FIVE there.  And, McConnell looks like a long-termer.  Only looks like they can REALLY PAY one more guy.  

In terms of what they need now, it looks like shooting, shooting, and more shooting, in combination with all-around perimeter scoring, and the ability to get to the foul line.

So, get that.  I LIKE the idea of them being SUPER VERSATILE.  So, McConnell as the traditional point guard, then a point guard/combo guard type at the 2 who is your go-to perimeter scorer, then Simmons and Saric at the forward spots, with Embiid at center.

Then I like Nigel Hayes as a possible THIRD second round pick, or fourth overall pick for Philly.  Can give them a few minutes here and there at either forward spot.  Can do a bit of everything and he has experience.  He can probably be a plug-and-play guy if he is surrounded by top notch team-first guys.  Obviously, he would have to project fairly well as a rebounder, perimeter shooter, and team defender.  Draft him, lock him in long-term and you have a solid rotation guy as your 9th or 10th man for a decade.  He is your sixth front court guy behind Simmons, Embiid, Oakfor, Saric, and Noel.  

Memphis Madness
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login