This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar hiphopismylife 12 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    ChriJoll
    Participant

Welcome to the third year under Coach Calipari.

Last Year: Last year ended with a final four berth.  Josh Harrelson showed up down the stretch and Brandon Knight hit some big shots (I’m looking at you Ohio St.) along the way.

Point Guard:
        Departures: Brandon Knight – We all knew it was going to happen before he ever set foot on campus, but still it is not easy to replace you’re leader and go to guy in crunch time.  He provided scoring, and a calm head at the point and will be missed but we wish him the best in his future with Detroit!
        Arrivals : Marquis Teague – Meet Calipari’s new protégé.  Marquis is a heralded recruit from the neighboring Indiana, and is regarded by many as the best pg prosepct in his class.  He has a lighting quick first step to get to the rim and the strength to absorb contact once he gets there.  His court vision is a major plus and he knows where to get the ball when help defense arrives.  He will be a delight to watch in the dribble drive offense.
        Who’s here: Well behind Teague, Lamb will end up getting most minutes at pg.  He has a nice handle that should be well enough to run the show in limited minutes.  We also have Jarrod Polson (Walk-on) who always gets Rupp going when he sets foot on the court!

Wing:
        Departure:  Deandre Liggins –  Liggins found his niche in his second season under Calipari, as a hard worker who prided himself on his defense.  His long arms will be missed around the perimeter.
        Arrivals: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – This is the one player I am most excited to see at UK next year.  I think he will be an instant impact player.  His scoring might leave room to be desired but aside from that there is little to nothing this guy won’t do for you.  His motor and work ethic are high quality.  He should fill in nicely as the defender that is being lost in Liggins.
        Who’s here:  Welcome back Doron Lamb who finished third on the team in scoring last year.  He was electrifying of the bench and deadly from down deep (almost 50%).  A lot of people expect him to make a leap and become even more prominent in this UK offense and most see him as a mid first round pick in the NBA next year.  I think he could end up being a 20 ppg scorer in a back court that doesn’t have to much scoring.   Also hanging around is senior Darius Miller.  Miller has been around for a while and has always provided a reliable presence on these uk teams.  He understands his role is not to lead the team in scoring or force his shot.  Many actually believe he needs more of a killer instinct and is to passive instead of taking advantage of his excellent shot.  I think Miller could step up and provide leadership to a seriously needing team this year.  Also hanging around is last year’s recruit Stacey Poole who may see some increased minutes next year and is said to be a fairly adept defender.  Junior Jon Hood tore his ACL earlier this year and figures to red shirt.

Front Court:
        Departure JORTS!   –  He will be missed.  He went from a relative no one to a second round draft pick in just a year.  That should quell the voices accusing Calipari of being little more than a recruiter.  He provided a solid inside presence to a team that was lacking any.
        Arrivals :  Anthony Davis – Arguably the most hyped freshman in his class, Davis grew 6-7’ is  Junior-Senior year.  After spending most of his life on the perimeter he still has guard skills only in the body of a 6’10” 200 lbs man.  He is a hard worker on both ends of the court, and his length makes him an excellent shot blocker/rebounder.  He says that he is trying to model his game after Durant but in my opinion his should forgot that and go more the route of Garnett, because I feel as though he could fit that bill quite nicely.  Rumor says he’s put on 15-20 lbs already and he will need it against players like Young(Florida) and Ezeli(Vandy).  He should nicely fill in the middle for UK.
            Kyle Wiltjer – The Oregon product is the polished kid in his class and at 6’9” won the McD’s three point shooting contest.  He has a nice arsenal of moves around the rim and does not rely on athleticism to score.  He is a good rebounder, relying more on positioning that athleticism.  He should make for nice depth in the front Court.
        Who’s around: Welcome back Terrance Jones who turned down being a top-10 Pick in this years draft to spend another year at UK.  Last year the beginning of the season was like he had been shot out of a cannon, even garnering (early) POY consideration.  After cooling off down the stretch and providing nothing spectacular in the tourney I feel as though he made the right move.  He has plenty to work on (3-pt shooting, motor, shot selection) and if he finds a way to consistently maintain early season form from last year along with improving, he could be a force to be reckoned with.  He’s gone on record as saying he wants to lead the freshman on this UK team.  Also returning is 6’11” 245 lbs. Eloy Vargas.  Eloy saw limited minutes last year and those who watched know why.  He seemed passive and had no motivation about him.  When the tournament came around he started to show promise and that is where we were left off.  After a summer in China with USA reach where he got multiple double doubles and now as part of the National Dominican Team (Coached by Cal), I am expecting considerable enough improvement to make him a solid role player for this front court.

Overview :  This team has everything it takes to be special.  They have arguable the most talented roster in the nation with returning experience.  The major questions headed into the season revolve around who is going to step up to be the closer and whether all of this talent can mesh.  Overall it is an incredibly exciting season to look forward to and I cannot wait for the season to start! Go CATS!

Projected Line-up
    Pos:    Starter             Back-up         Third
    PG:     Teague             Lamb        Polson
    SG:    Miller                Lamb        Poole
    SF:    Kidd-Gilchrist    Miller        Hood(ACL)
    PF:    Jones                 Wiltjer        Vargas
    C:     Davis                  Vargas        Wiltjer

I think Calipari sticks with Miller in the starting line-up and there is no way Kidd-Gilchrist doesn’t start, leaving Lamb the odd man out.  I still think he’ll find his way to around 30 mpg however.

ChriJoll
    Participant

Also this is my first review I’ve ever done. So I’d appreciate all feedback on ways to improve.

ChriJoll
    Participant

Also this is my first review I’ve ever done. So I’d appreciate all feedback on ways to improve.

bdiddy5115
      Participant

I’d be concerned with their muscle up front, though the roster is incredibly talented otherwise. Davis, if forced to play C, will definitely not be utilized to his potential – somewhat like Jones III last year (but possibly to a greater extent). He won’t be able to showcase his faceup ability and his thin frame will get pushed around in the crowded paint of CBB. He’s uber-talented however, and seems to bring a quality work ethic to the table, so I don’t doubt that he’ll improve as the season progresses.

I agree that Gilchrist will be the first off the bench. I can see them going with a Teague/Lamb/Miller/Jones/Davis lineup, with Gilchrist, Wiltjer and Vargas coming off the bench. Gilchrist should be a big boost on both ends with his energy, but he may have to take the role of a "glue guy" due to the sheer number of shot takers around him.

Teague has the handles and penetration ability to succeed in the dribble-drive offense, but it’ll be interesting to see how well he can get his teammates involved…with the number of guys who can score, he will be almost completely responsible for distributing the ball – which will require a shift in mindset in him. How well he handles this will be a giant factor in UK’s success.

bdiddy5115
      Participant

I’d be concerned with their muscle up front, though the roster is incredibly talented otherwise. Davis, if forced to play C, will definitely not be utilized to his potential – somewhat like Jones III last year (but possibly to a greater extent). He won’t be able to showcase his faceup ability and his thin frame will get pushed around in the crowded paint of CBB. He’s uber-talented however, and seems to bring a quality work ethic to the table, so I don’t doubt that he’ll improve as the season progresses.

I agree that Gilchrist will be the first off the bench. I can see them going with a Teague/Lamb/Miller/Jones/Davis lineup, with Gilchrist, Wiltjer and Vargas coming off the bench. Gilchrist should be a big boost on both ends with his energy, but he may have to take the role of a "glue guy" due to the sheer number of shot takers around him.

Teague has the handles and penetration ability to succeed in the dribble-drive offense, but it’ll be interesting to see how well he can get his teammates involved…with the number of guys who can score, he will be almost completely responsible for distributing the ball – which will require a shift in mindset in him. How well he handles this will be a giant factor in UK’s success.

hovermaster
    Participant

btw wiltjer is canadian

hovermaster
    Participant

btw wiltjer is canadian

jimmy3tymes
    Participant

Twanny Beckham will also be joining the team for the second half of the season. He is a PG that transferred from Mississippi State.

jimmy3tymes
    Participant

Twanny Beckham will also be joining the team for the second half of the season. He is a PG that transferred from Mississippi State.

hiphopismylife
    Participant

Don’t rule out the possibility that Kidd-Gilchrist comes off the bench. With Calipari we know that doesn’t necessarily equate to not being good enough. I also think he has the type of personality that would embrace the role, where it wouldn’t hamper his production or attitude like it would with other guys. Also he could still get starter’s minutes doing that since he can play multiple positions.

hiphopismylife
    Participant

Don’t rule out the possibility that Kidd-Gilchrist comes off the bench. With Calipari we know that doesn’t necessarily equate to not being good enough. I also think he has the type of personality that would embrace the role, where it wouldn’t hamper his production or attitude like it would with other guys. Also he could still get starter’s minutes doing that since he can play multiple positions.

ChriJoll
    Participant

Funny thing, he gets that rep a lot but do some digging.

Like here http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/08/dual_citizenship_gives_jesuits.html

You’ll notice Wiltjer actually just recently applied for Canadian Citizenship.

He actually was born and has always lived in Portland, OR.

So I prefer to think of him as an Oregon Product despite his dual-citizenship.

@Jimmy3tymes

You’re right.  Twanny Beckham is transferring to UK. As of right now he appears to be walking on, although it’s been rumored he could play for a scholarship. He was a sophomore last year at Miss St. Is 6’5" averaged 2.9 pts.  And he is more of a combo but I can see the PG label.  I doubt he even sees the court but thank you for keeping me on my toes I should have mentioned him.

ChriJoll
    Participant

Funny thing, he gets that rep a lot but do some digging.

Like here http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/08/dual_citizenship_gives_jesuits.html

You’ll notice Wiltjer actually just recently applied for Canadian Citizenship.

He actually was born and has always lived in Portland, OR.

So I prefer to think of him as an Oregon Product despite his dual-citizenship.

@Jimmy3tymes

You’re right.  Twanny Beckham is transferring to UK. As of right now he appears to be walking on, although it’s been rumored he could play for a scholarship. He was a sophomore last year at Miss St. Is 6’5" averaged 2.9 pts.  And he is more of a combo but I can see the PG label.  I doubt he even sees the court but thank you for keeping me on my toes I should have mentioned him.

ChriJoll
    Participant

I see the argument, and as of right now it’s all speculation.
    But from my point of view I see Kidd-Gilchrist as the glue guy on the offense, and I feel as though Calipari will value him more as a starter than Doron Lamb, who can come off the bench and still fill up the score sheet.
    The mpg break down for the back court I see something like this..

There are 120 Minutes between three positions.

I see Teague getting around 30 PG

Lamb around 28 PG/SG

Miller 25  SG/SF

Kidd-Gilchrist 28 SG/SF

Jones 5 SF (Only counting his wing minutes here) 

That brings you to a total 114 (Leaving six minutes between Poole, Polson, and Maybe Hood??) 

ChriJoll
    Participant

I see the argument, and as of right now it’s all speculation.
    But from my point of view I see Kidd-Gilchrist as the glue guy on the offense, and I feel as though Calipari will value him more as a starter than Doron Lamb, who can come off the bench and still fill up the score sheet.
    The mpg break down for the back court I see something like this..

There are 120 Minutes between three positions.

I see Teague getting around 30 PG

Lamb around 28 PG/SG

Miller 25  SG/SF

Kidd-Gilchrist 28 SG/SF

Jones 5 SF (Only counting his wing minutes here) 

That brings you to a total 114 (Leaving six minutes between Poole, Polson, and Maybe Hood??) 

hiphopismylife
    Participant

ChriJoll yeah you’re right I could honestly see them going a number of ways with that. It wouldn’t surprise me if they toy around with a few things early in the year.

As far as your predicted allocation of minutes, conventional wisdom would agree with that but I predict that Doron Lamb will play more minutes than Marquis Teague. I can see where you got the idea because Teague is listed as a full time point guard and they’re thin at that spot, but Lamb’s versatlity will make him hard to take off the floor. I also have never considered Marquis Teague a pure point guard, as he thinks score first and can get really shakey with the ball. The way he can rack up bad turnovers makes me wonder if he can handle a role where he’ll be required to feed the ball to so many other scorers.

Even though he’s not a point guard naturally, Doron Lamb is a better and smarter player and I think he’ll end up playing at the 1 more than people think. He’s one of those guys that just has a tendency to make great plays.

hiphopismylife
    Participant

ChriJoll yeah you’re right I could honestly see them going a number of ways with that. It wouldn’t surprise me if they toy around with a few things early in the year.

As far as your predicted allocation of minutes, conventional wisdom would agree with that but I predict that Doron Lamb will play more minutes than Marquis Teague. I can see where you got the idea because Teague is listed as a full time point guard and they’re thin at that spot, but Lamb’s versatlity will make him hard to take off the floor. I also have never considered Marquis Teague a pure point guard, as he thinks score first and can get really shakey with the ball. The way he can rack up bad turnovers makes me wonder if he can handle a role where he’ll be required to feed the ball to so many other scorers.

Even though he’s not a point guard naturally, Doron Lamb is a better and smarter player and I think he’ll end up playing at the 1 more than people think. He’s one of those guys that just has a tendency to make great plays.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login