This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar paradigmn 12 years ago.

• Author
    paradigmn
    Participant

I think about basketball waaaaay to much.

So…I’m out to dinner with some friends….and we are talking about North Korea’s failed missle launch the other day…and all of a sudden out of nowhere I start thinking to myself…."What would a draft look like if only the last 14 number one selections were picked."…lol

So…I was actually able to contstruct this list in my head (for the most part) during dinner (which I paid for by the way…cuz that’s how I roll…lol)

Anyways…not that exciting…but….once I start thinking about some random b-ball topic….got to get it out of the way in order to move on with the rest of my day…so here it is:

(1) Lebron James "03": No rings…but…neither does anyone else on this list.

(2) Dwight Howard "04": I’m starting to get annoyed with this dude…but…I’d stilll draft him in a heartbeat.

(3) Derrick Rose "08": Having a tuff season as far as injuries are concerned, but obviously an MVP talent.

(4) Blake Griffin "09": Seems to put up huge numbers nightly…needs to develop a J though.

(5) Kyrie Irving "11": So far…So good….really impressed with the youngin.

(6) John Wall "10": Kinda took a step back this year, especially after he was killing it this summer, but he’s still so young with sooo much potential.

(7) Yao Ming "02": The fact his career was cut so short, yet he’s still taken in the first half of the lottery says it all…Wish he coulda stayed healthy.

(8) Andrea Bargnani "06": Soft…maybe…Needs to rebound better…yes…but…dude can score at this level…pure and simple.

(9) Kenyon Martin "00": The #1 pick in possibly the worse draft ever can still play…although….His best years were obviously with J.Kidd back in the day.

(10) Andrew Bogut "05": Up and down career cuz of injuries…has shown flashes of being a great center though…Warriors fans hope he can return to that level.

(11) Elton Brand "99": Just another player now…and for a while actually.

(12) Greg Oden "07": Dude has played 82 games in 4 years…obviously he would be higher if healthy…but…bottom line is he needs to play.  The fact he’s not last says how bad the last 2 are lol

(13) Kwame Brown "01": Thanx a lot Kwame…you  f$&%*ed MJ’s gm legacy all up!!!

(14) Michale Olowokandi "98": When your last name has more syllables than a Haiku (Japanese poem) and you are coming out of Pacific University…How can you not be a busto???

Onions
    Participant

Yao – injuries.

Martin – injuries

Bogut – injuries

Oden – injuries

Obviously other guys on that list had injuries. For those 4, injuries pretty much dicated their careers, or lackthere of.

Those franchise centers sure are risky picks.

DipoTime
    Participant

Cool topic man! What if it was a lottery in which u could select any number one of all time? That would be tough lol but I pretty much agree with your list though

Platypus
    Participant

something i noticed too, i dont beleive any one of these guys have won a ring

gone
    Participant

You could almost argue Dwight over Lebron although it’d be a tiny argument…

paradigmn
    Participant

Let’s both do one from like 1970-2011…A lottery…and then we can compare it simultaneously….and see how close we got…I’m down if you are…or anyone else…lol….no descriptions of course….thats enough work as it is

Onions
    Participant

I want in… Top 14 #1 picks from 70-now? Sounds like fun.

paradigmn
    Participant

Okay….so….before we post it….we got to make sure everyone has it completed…ya know….so we can’t use each others….when your done….just come and post here and say your ready…I’ll do the same…and anyone else…and then…all at once…WE POST!!!!…lol

ChrisCross
    Participant

Brand should be higher and above Bargnani so should Bogut. Also it’s sort of unfair to put young guys like Wall and Irving so high, I love them too but they’ve been around for 1 or 2 years. For all we know they could really slip or have same injury problems. So they might look like there on track to have a better career than Yao or Brand, but at times those two guys all-star players who were very good and looked like they were going to be great players before getting hurt.

paradigmn
    Participant

I was a little tuff on Brand…he should be higher…you are right….but Bogut is str8 where he is….plus Wall & Irving can ball…I’m def not putting anyone of those player’s ahead of them.

Anyways…I got my list from 1970-2011 ready if anyone else does…Just missed out on drafting Lew Alcindor 1969…dang!!!…lol

Nbanflguy
    Participant

Shows you how great Brown and the candy man were when they get drafted behind a player who has probaly spent the least amount of time playing basketball out of any professional basketball player in the world over the past 5 years.

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

1. Magic Johnson

2. Lebron James

3. Shaquille O’Neal

4. David Robinson

5. Hakeem Olajuwon

6. Tim Duncan

7. Patrick Ewing

8. David Thompson

9. Dwight Howard

10. Derrick Rose

11. Ralph Sampson

12. Yao Ming

13. Bob Lanier

14. Chris Webber

15. Mark Aguirre

16. James Worthy

17. Allen Iverson

18. Larry Johnson

19. Glenn Robinson

20. Joe Barry Carroll

21. Austin carr

22. Danny Manning

T23. John Wall

T23. Blake Griffin

T23. Kyrie Irving

26. Derrick Coleman

27. Brad Daugherty

28. Joe Smith

29. Kenyon Martin

30. Mychal Thompson

31. Andrew Bogut

32. Andrea Bargnani

33. Pervis Ellison

34. John Lucas

35. Michael Olowokandi

36. Doug Collins

37. Kwame Brown

38. Kent Benson

39. Larue Martin

Crap.  Put Walton after Manning and Elton Brand after Coleman

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

Forgot Oden, but who really knows where to put him.

Nbanflguy
    Participant

Solid list, but I would have Iverson higher

Onions
    Participant

Another thing, only 7 of those 14 picks have made an allstar game. Now Wall and Irving will probably make multiple allstar games in the future. Just thought that was interesting.

I’m ready

Onions
    Participant

1) Magic Johnson

2) Hakeem Olajuwon

3) LeBron James

4) Tim Duncan

5) Shaq O’Neal

6) David Robinson

7) Patrick Ewing

8) Allen Iverson

9) James Worthy

10) Dwight Howard

11) Bob Lanier

12) Derrick Rose

13) David Thompson

14) Bill Walton

I did take in account injuries, peak (if they could carry a team to a championship), and career duration. In part, position they played if I were drafting for my franchise… Meaning, I favored the bigs a bit. I’m probably a bit high on Worthy, but I’m sure he could be a #1 option on a championship team. Heck, he was for one of the Lakers’ ring.

DipoTime
    Participant

1) Magic Johnson

2) Shaquille O’Neal

3) Tim Duncan

4) Hakeem Olajuwon

5) LeBron James

6) David Robinson

7) David Thompson

8) Ralph Sampson

9) Patrick Ewing

10) Allen Iverson

11) Derrick Rose

12) Chris Webber

13) Dwight Howard

14) Bill Walton

paradigmn
    Participant

(1) Magic

(2) Shaq

(3) Dream

(4) LeBron

(5) Duncan

(6) Robinson

(7) Ewing

(8) Iverson

(9) Howard -future

(10) Rose – future

(11) Webber

(12) Griffin – future

(13) Worthy

(14) Thompson

Just missed the cut: Walton, Lanier, Irving (kid could be GREAT)

Thanx 4 particapating….like both your guys list!!!

paradigmn
    Participant

what can I say…GREAT MINDS think alike!!!…lol

KOBE EINSTEIN… E=Mc Dunk in yo face squared!!!

DipoTime
    Participant

Very nice lists! It was harder than I thought lol ask me tomorrow and my list will be completely different…

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

1) Magic Johnson

2) Hakeem Olajuwon

3) Tim Duncan

4) Shaquille O Neal

5) Lebron James

6) Patrick Ewing

7) David Robinson

8) James Worthy

9) Allen Iverson

10) Bill Walton

11) Derrick Rose

12) Dwight Howard

13) David Thompson

14) Bob Lanier

uknation
    Participant

Jordan?

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

Jordan was the 3rd pick behind Olajuwon and Bowie

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

These lists are just #1 picks, not all the lottery guys

Steroid
    Participant

I think people forget how good Elton Brand was before he got hurt. He was a legitimate 20-10 player. I’d put him at least number 8 on your list.

DipoTime
    Participant

I agree that Brand was awesome but.. C-Webb is 12th on my list and not only did he average for his career 20 points 10 boards 4 assists 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks.. He was clearly better in his prime as well. Maybe I should have him higher than 12th….. But my point is that saying Brand should be AT LEAST 8th is some crazy high praise dont you think? you would seriously take him over Sampson, Ewing, Iverson, Rose, and Webber? Can you give some reasons why he would really be taken 8th over some of these guys? I considered him for the list but dang i was thinking maybe 14th or 13th

Steroid
    Participant

I was referring to the original poster’s list, and his list ranged from 1998-2011. Listing Brand at 8 isn’t bad at all on his list. I’m not really sure whether his rankings are based on potential, where they are right now, or career though.

DipoTime
    Participant

Oh…lol

My bad man in that case I actually agree with you…Ya hes ok now but before injury just like with other injured players he was pretty awesome

Truett
    Participant

Olowokandi

Is not a Haiku itself 

Olowokandi

paradigmn
    Participant

For those that don’t know a Haiku is a quick Japanese poem that has three lines:

The first line has 5 syllables:          AB…DUL…JA…BBAR…WOULD

The secone line has 7 syllables:     UN….QUES…TION….AB…LE…MUR…DER

The last line has 5 syllabels:          OL….O…WO…KAN…DI!!!

Remember…Kareem didn’t like the dude in the first place…lol 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-is-still-angry-at-Michael-Ol?urn=nba-wp6868

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login