This topic contains 86 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar llperez 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    TC_42
    Participant

"Michael Jordan helped the Chicago Bulls win six championships.

But Jordan told USA Today his success offensively may have been greater under today’s NBA rules.

‘It’s less physical and the rules have changed, obviously,’ said Jordan, who was promoting NBA 2K11 video game. ‘Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I’m pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.’

Jordan averaged 30.1 points and 6.2 rebounds a game in his 15-year career.

Comparisons are often drawn between Jordan and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who won his fifth title last season. Where does Jordan think Bryant stacks up with the greats of the game?

‘It’s so hard to say,’ Jordan told the newspaper. ‘I think he is always going to be within the conversations of some of the greatest players who’ve played by the time he is finished. Where does he rank among those, if you are talking about positions? If you are talking about guards, I would say he has got to be in the top 10’."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5686980

Could Jordan in his prime score 100 points in a game if he really really wanted to today?  Is Kobe a top 10 guard? Top 5? Top 10 player?

Toronto16
    Participant

It would be tough, he’d have to take like 50 shots to do it. 

Toronto16
    Participant

It would be tough, he’d have to take like 50 shots to do it. 

Sup
    Participant

In theory yes. His efficiency from mid range to around the rim ranks number one. However you can’t score 100 without making 3’s. So I think could clearly score 80 but 100 would take some luck.

Sup
    Participant

In theory yes. His efficiency from mid range to around the rim ranks number one. However you can’t score 100 without making 3’s. So I think could clearly score 80 but 100 would take some luck.

NashyMing
    Participant

If he could average 30pts a game in his career (not just his prime) with the dirty defense in his era, he can certainly drop 100 in today’s game.  Without handchecking, there are many more opportunities for swingmen to score.  MJ could easily average 50pts a game in his prime and scored multiple 100pts game.  With his reputation, he can easily get to the lines 20 times a game.  Do you remember what DWade did to the Mavs in the final?  MJ would get even more calls.

NashyMing
    Participant

If he could average 30pts a game in his career (not just his prime) with the dirty defense in his era, he can certainly drop 100 in today’s game.  Without handchecking, there are many more opportunities for swingmen to score.  MJ could easily average 50pts a game in his prime and scored multiple 100pts game.  With his reputation, he can easily get to the lines 20 times a game.  Do you remember what DWade did to the Mavs in the final?  MJ would get even more calls.

andxxx
    Participant

I think he could’ve scored 100 pts once against a team like the mavs, warrior, bucks, or raptors.  Some teams are really bad on defense.

andxxx
    Participant

I think he could’ve scored 100 pts once against a team like the mavs, warrior, bucks, or raptors.  Some teams are really bad on defense.

llperez

the most he ever scored in regulation was 61 points. Thats 39 points short and thats a lot. People can talk all they want about how it was more physical back then, but todays game has better athletes and one on one defenders. No way he hits 100.

llperez

the most he ever scored in regulation was 61 points. Thats 39 points short and thats a lot. People can talk all they want about how it was more physical back then, but todays game has better athletes and one on one defenders. No way he hits 100.

Im Your Father
    Participant

I’m really getting tired of Michael Jordan frankly. He is unquestionably the G.O.A.T. but his hall of fame speech was completely unnecessary. It’s not like he never had a bad game or made a bad decision on the court. 

Also, I don’t think his point really works. Because people in his era didn’t put up lower scoring numbers, as a matter of fact I think they were a bit higher because in general the tempos were faster.

I respect him as a player, but from what I’ve seen, I really dislike MJ as a person, he is about as arrogant as it gets. Granted I don’t know him personally, so I could be totally wrong about him. But somehow I doubt it.

Im Your Father
    Participant

I’m really getting tired of Michael Jordan frankly. He is unquestionably the G.O.A.T. but his hall of fame speech was completely unnecessary. It’s not like he never had a bad game or made a bad decision on the court. 

Also, I don’t think his point really works. Because people in his era didn’t put up lower scoring numbers, as a matter of fact I think they were a bit higher because in general the tempos were faster.

I respect him as a player, but from what I’ve seen, I really dislike MJ as a person, he is about as arrogant as it gets. Granted I don’t know him personally, so I could be totally wrong about him. But somehow I doubt it.

andxxx
    Participant

Kobe Bryant and Lebron are pretty arrogant too that doesn’t take away from their play

andxxx
    Participant

Kobe Bryant and Lebron are pretty arrogant too that doesn’t take away from their play

llperez

lebron, kobe and mike are all very arrogant.

llperez

lebron, kobe and mike are all very arrogant.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Is very good at tooting Michael Jordan’s own horn. But, yes he more than likely could have scored 100 points in a game, he had the ability to attempt it, but of course would have to go out of his way to do so. In the game Wilt scored 100 though, he took 63 shots and 32 free throws, so 95 shots total, which is pretty freaking ridiculous. But, to say Michael could have done it today as opposed to back when he was playing, I do not necessarily think things would be that much easier for him. I for one think that basketball now is still incredibly physical, and think these athletes are incredible physical specimens. Michael may have been able to get to the line at will, but at best he would have what, 40 free throws? Back when he played I heard Tex Winter used to beg Phil Jackson to let Michael try and get a shot at the Hundo. It just is not something that was going to be done, 81 was big enough, with all of the people focused on not trying to embarass the other team, whenever a player just scores at will, their usually is some end that comes to it, and once Michael got to a certain point, I do not know if Phil or whomever was coaching him would let him go on, not to mention the opposing coach might attempt whatever was in there power to stop him from doing so. Wilt was so physically imposing that really nothing was standing in his way, and to this day people still say that the 100 point game was under strange and bizzarre circumstances. But, for Michael to say this game would be easier for him to score 100 I think is just him trying to show up this era and play off his greatness, Wilt did it all the time too. Michael was and is incredibly arrogant, as many great athletes tend to be, and also realize that he played in a time where you could not double team off of the ball and defenses were seemingly catered to the style of play of, hmm, Michael Jordan. Michael can talk 100 all he wants, but I think he should be happy with what he has. As far as Kobe is concerned, another person who could realistically have had a shot at 100 points in a game, though I think those times are behind him, he to me is not only a top 10 guard, or top 5 guard, but a top 5 player of all time. But also, when Kobe scored 81, he took 46 shots. My guess is to score 100 points now, you would more than likely need to take at least 60 shots, score at least 6-8 3 pointers and go to the line about 35 times. Even if you multiply Kobe’s 81 point game to the full 48 minutes, he would have scored 92-93. In other words, to score that many points would really take a team effort in making you a monumental hog. Michael, once again, be happy with what you had, it still made you the greatest individual player in NBA history, even if a couple guys have better single game career highs.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Is very good at tooting Michael Jordan’s own horn. But, yes he more than likely could have scored 100 points in a game, he had the ability to attempt it, but of course would have to go out of his way to do so. In the game Wilt scored 100 though, he took 63 shots and 32 free throws, so 95 shots total, which is pretty freaking ridiculous. But, to say Michael could have done it today as opposed to back when he was playing, I do not necessarily think things would be that much easier for him. I for one think that basketball now is still incredibly physical, and think these athletes are incredible physical specimens. Michael may have been able to get to the line at will, but at best he would have what, 40 free throws? Back when he played I heard Tex Winter used to beg Phil Jackson to let Michael try and get a shot at the Hundo. It just is not something that was going to be done, 81 was big enough, with all of the people focused on not trying to embarass the other team, whenever a player just scores at will, their usually is some end that comes to it, and once Michael got to a certain point, I do not know if Phil or whomever was coaching him would let him go on, not to mention the opposing coach might attempt whatever was in there power to stop him from doing so. Wilt was so physically imposing that really nothing was standing in his way, and to this day people still say that the 100 point game was under strange and bizzarre circumstances. But, for Michael to say this game would be easier for him to score 100 I think is just him trying to show up this era and play off his greatness, Wilt did it all the time too. Michael was and is incredibly arrogant, as many great athletes tend to be, and also realize that he played in a time where you could not double team off of the ball and defenses were seemingly catered to the style of play of, hmm, Michael Jordan. Michael can talk 100 all he wants, but I think he should be happy with what he has. As far as Kobe is concerned, another person who could realistically have had a shot at 100 points in a game, though I think those times are behind him, he to me is not only a top 10 guard, or top 5 guard, but a top 5 player of all time. But also, when Kobe scored 81, he took 46 shots. My guess is to score 100 points now, you would more than likely need to take at least 60 shots, score at least 6-8 3 pointers and go to the line about 35 times. Even if you multiply Kobe’s 81 point game to the full 48 minutes, he would have scored 92-93. In other words, to score that many points would really take a team effort in making you a monumental hog. Michael, once again, be happy with what you had, it still made you the greatest individual player in NBA history, even if a couple guys have better single game career highs.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I think if he focused on it he maybe could do it once or twice during a season..Becuz there are alot of weak defensive teams in the league right now..But no way he’ll average 100 for an entire season..The young Jordan of 1984-1988 was a poor 3 point shooter..Jordan didnt become a deadly outside shooter until about 1990…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I think if he focused on it he maybe could do it once or twice during a season..Becuz there are alot of weak defensive teams in the league right now..But no way he’ll average 100 for an entire season..The young Jordan of 1984-1988 was a poor 3 point shooter..Jordan didnt become a deadly outside shooter until about 1990…

moochiee
    Participant

He’s the best ever, no question, but the guy is can be a real douche sometimes.  I hate Kobe, but to say that he is just a top 10 guard of all-time is incredible disrespect, the guy should be in any top 5 player of all-time discussion.  And to say that you can score 100 points today like it is a fact, is just so arrogant.  Granted his scoring average would probably go up, but he acts like defense is non existent these days.  I’ve really never seen MJ say anything complementary about any current NBA star, everything is like "He’s alright, but I would have beaten him any day."  The guy needs to tone it down a bit.  You were great, but not invincible.

moochiee
    Participant

He’s the best ever, no question, but the guy is can be a real douche sometimes.  I hate Kobe, but to say that he is just a top 10 guard of all-time is incredible disrespect, the guy should be in any top 5 player of all-time discussion.  And to say that you can score 100 points today like it is a fact, is just so arrogant.  Granted his scoring average would probably go up, but he acts like defense is non existent these days.  I’ve really never seen MJ say anything complementary about any current NBA star, everything is like "He’s alright, but I would have beaten him any day."  The guy needs to tone it down a bit.  You were great, but not invincible.

JoeWolf1

If Kobe can hit 83 points in a game Jordan can hit 100, that wasn’t his style of play though.  He had no problem taking over a game offensively, but he wasn’t a selfish player.  If his goal were to score 100 points in a game I think he could, but if you just put his style of play in today’s game I think he would go for 60 or 70 every once in a while, but I don’t think his game style really goes hand in hand with a guy dropping 100 points in a game.  Maybe if his team were terrible, or no one else were hitting shots.

JoeWolf1

If Kobe can hit 83 points in a game Jordan can hit 100, that wasn’t his style of play though.  He had no problem taking over a game offensively, but he wasn’t a selfish player.  If his goal were to score 100 points in a game I think he could, but if you just put his style of play in today’s game I think he would go for 60 or 70 every once in a while, but I don’t think his game style really goes hand in hand with a guy dropping 100 points in a game.  Maybe if his team were terrible, or no one else were hitting shots.

Im Your Father
    Participant

I never said it took away from his play, as a matter of fact, his attitude was part of what made him great. It also makes him come off as kind of a jerk.

I agree that Kobe and Lebron are both pretty arrogant, but they don’t come off as quite as much of a dick as Jordan. In fact, I’ve said before, Lebron actually seems pretty likeable to me, aside from his admittedly  huge ego. 

Im Your Father
    Participant

I never said it took away from his play, as a matter of fact, his attitude was part of what made him great. It also makes him come off as kind of a jerk.

I agree that Kobe and Lebron are both pretty arrogant, but they don’t come off as quite as much of a dick as Jordan. In fact, I’ve said before, Lebron actually seems pretty likeable to me, aside from his admittedly  huge ego. 

dazeone
    Participant

Probally so but his high was 61 in regulation and Kobe’s was 81 in which he could’ve gotten 100 in that game. Wilt did it. MJ needs to let his greatness be his greatness. He made his legacy playing work on cementing your legacy as an owner. Wilt nor Bill Russell did not do that to him and Wilt was arguably the best individual player and Bill russel was the ultimate winner. Let it go…you are hating. 

dazeone
    Participant

Probally so but his high was 61 in regulation and Kobe’s was 81 in which he could’ve gotten 100 in that game. Wilt did it. MJ needs to let his greatness be his greatness. He made his legacy playing work on cementing your legacy as an owner. Wilt nor Bill Russell did not do that to him and Wilt was arguably the best individual player and Bill russel was the ultimate winner. Let it go…you are hating. 

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Also, Jordan didn’t have the purest jumpshot.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Also, Jordan didn’t have the purest jumpshot.

d-grizzly
    Participant

#23, was, and always will be the master and best of finding a way to get it done. Dude could make shots/layups/dunks that would shock you in your seat…..CONTESTED OR NOT…

In todays league, he’d be at the foul line all the time due to his penatration ability. His mid range jumper was deadly and people would have to foul him eventually. I think people get ahead of themselves when stating how there are better defenders in todays league….. back then, things were a bit harder.

If Jordan played in todays league, he’d have the best chance of hitting 100.

d-grizzly
    Participant

#23, was, and always will be the master and best of finding a way to get it done. Dude could make shots/layups/dunks that would shock you in your seat…..CONTESTED OR NOT…

In todays league, he’d be at the foul line all the time due to his penatration ability. His mid range jumper was deadly and people would have to foul him eventually. I think people get ahead of themselves when stating how there are better defenders in todays league….. back then, things were a bit harder.

If Jordan played in todays league, he’d have the best chance of hitting 100.

d-grizzly
    Participant

i think people tend to overlook the fact that he scored high amounts of points against great defenses like the celtics in the 80’s, and the pistons bad boys defense…… just saying…

d-grizzly
    Participant

i think people tend to overlook the fact that he scored high amounts of points against great defenses like the celtics in the 80’s, and the pistons bad boys defense…… just saying…

Pureshooter
    Participant

I think if he was on the same Bulls roster today  as he was in the early 90’s and they fed him the ball every time in a concerted effor to get him to 100, then yes.  Kobe and David Robinson have both gone over 70 in the past 15 years, so I think Jordan could get to 100 if he were hitting his shots and getting calls, especially if it was against a team that was out of playoff contention near the end of the season.  Jordan circa ’91 or ’92 would be a nightmare. 

Pureshooter
    Participant

I think if he was on the same Bulls roster today  as he was in the early 90’s and they fed him the ball every time in a concerted effor to get him to 100, then yes.  Kobe and David Robinson have both gone over 70 in the past 15 years, so I think Jordan could get to 100 if he were hitting his shots and getting calls, especially if it was against a team that was out of playoff contention near the end of the season.  Jordan circa ’91 or ’92 would be a nightmare. 

Malik-Universal
    Participant

HELLYEAH HE CAN!

Malik-Universal
    Participant

HELLYEAH HE CAN!

llperez

rudeboy, did you just point out that jordan would not be able to average 100 for a season?

llperez

rudeboy, did you just point out that jordan would not be able to average 100 for a season?

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

MJ put up 43 points as a FORTY year old man, so to think a prime MJ wouldn’t have a shot at 100 points is silly.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

MJ put up 43 points as a FORTY year old man, so to think a prime MJ wouldn’t have a shot at 100 points is silly.

trueone313detroit
    Participant

Did you guys know that Mike Highest scoring game was in 1990 against Cleveland in a playoff game. 63 against Boston in 87.  Mike had some very good scoring numbers.  But people talk about how athletic people are know.  But mike played when teams had a least 1 – 2 good centers on the roster. Plus their were less teams which means better quality of teams.  People whom are considered starters in todays game would probably be on the bench. 

I dont care for Mikes tude.  But, the man could score.  61 in the regulation and he get more would mores shots with centers and a higher temple game

trueone313detroit
    Participant

Did you guys know that Mike Highest scoring game was in 1990 against Cleveland in a playoff game. 63 against Boston in 87.  Mike had some very good scoring numbers.  But people talk about how athletic people are know.  But mike played when teams had a least 1 – 2 good centers on the roster. Plus their were less teams which means better quality of teams.  People whom are considered starters in todays game would probably be on the bench. 

I dont care for Mikes tude.  But, the man could score.  61 in the regulation and he get more would mores shots with centers and a higher temple game

Demarcus Oneal
    Participant

Man I would not put it past MJ but damn only one person has ever got 100 points ever so to say he could of got is kinda short changing the new times. Just because there is less handchecking thre is also much improved athletes in the NBA

Demarcus Oneal
    Participant

Man I would not put it past MJ but damn only one person has ever got 100 points ever so to say he could of got is kinda short changing the new times. Just because there is less handchecking thre is also much improved athletes in the NBA

sheltwon3
    Participant

Kobe almost scored over a hundred in regulation twice so I see no reason why Jordan could not do it once under current rules especially if he had to go against a team like the Raptors or Wolves who have no one to guard him and are very young.

sheltwon3
    Participant

Kobe almost scored over a hundred in regulation twice so I see no reason why Jordan could not do it once under current rules especially if he had to go against a team like the Raptors or Wolves who have no one to guard him and are very young.

sheltwon3
    Participant

I think there is no way he could average a 100 points a game though.  I don’t think he said he could score 100 every night.

sheltwon3
    Participant

I think there is no way he could average a 100 points a game though.  I don’t think he said he could score 100 every night.

AndyBeng2
    Participant

Peopleact like Jordan was a god, no way he scores 100 in todays game. I gurantee no team would let that happen, he’d get double and triple teamed after 50 and he’d be forced to pass. He was great but he had his faults, just like every player. There is no perfect player, Mike is just the closest to it, he is really only missing the 3pt shot, and he got better as time went on. Still NO WAY he drops 100 in any era unless its the peach basket days.

AndyBeng2
    Participant

Peopleact like Jordan was a god, no way he scores 100 in todays game. I gurantee no team would let that happen, he’d get double and triple teamed after 50 and he’d be forced to pass. He was great but he had his faults, just like every player. There is no perfect player, Mike is just the closest to it, he is really only missing the 3pt shot, and he got better as time went on. Still NO WAY he drops 100 in any era unless its the peach basket days.

dye84
    Participant

scored 69 points in overtime against one of the greatest celtics teams ever, played in a more competitive era with way more hall of famers and a lot less expansion teams, kobe got 81 against a soft raptors team and u really dont think the most competitive player ever could get 100?  ask drexler about jordans three point range (finals where he made 6 threes in the first half and shrugged at magic doing the color analyst)

dye84
    Participant

scored 69 points in overtime against one of the greatest celtics teams ever, played in a more competitive era with way more hall of famers and a lot less expansion teams, kobe got 81 against a soft raptors team and u really dont think the most competitive player ever could get 100?  ask drexler about jordans three point range (finals where he made 6 threes in the first half and shrugged at magic doing the color analyst)

llperez

dye, i do not think the comp was better back then. Those celtics teams had danny ainge as their main defender for wings. You see the clip where jordan is crossing over bird and bird is giving him like 5 feet? The game evolves. Theres no denying the athletes are better one on one defenders today out on the perimiter. So jordan hit 6 threes on drexler. Just goes to show you he wasnt that great of a three point shooter when you hit 6 threes in one half and people want to make it seem like you conquered the impossible. Jordan was not a great three point shooter, average by todays standrards. Im not bashing jordan becasue he is the goat, but like andybeng said, people act like he was this unbeatable god who could do no wrong. The most he ever scored in regualtion was 63 points. Thats his absolute best scoring day. You think he could just "decide" to score an extra 37 points?

dye84
      Participant

first of all danny ainge was not there defensive stopper, it was dennis johnson (6 first team all defense, 3 second team all defense, hall of famer) i agree there are better defenders today but that didnt stop kobe from dropping 81, if the question is can he score 100 in a game all it takes is for him to get hot like he did against drexler thats why i brought it up, and im not saying he can do no wrong, but read any book about jordan and it will say how over competitive he was and how if u told him he couldnt do it, he would do it, so yes he could decide to score 100 he is that competitive which is what made him the greatest, and by the way the 69 he had in overtime in boston against an the 86 celts that only lost two game the entire season including the finals and had a roster with 5 hall of famers (bird, mchale, johnson, walton, parrish), not to mention jordan was coming off a broken foot, keep in mind this was before there were a lot of crappy expansion teams so u would see some talented rosters like that (lakers for example), although that 86 bulls team didnt have a single hall of famer on that team except jordan

dye84
      Participant

first of all danny ainge was not there defensive stopper, it was dennis johnson (6 first team all defense, 3 second team all defense, hall of famer) i agree there are better defenders today but that didnt stop kobe from dropping 81, if the question is can he score 100 in a game all it takes is for him to get hot like he did against drexler thats why i brought it up, and im not saying he can do no wrong, but read any book about jordan and it will say how over competitive he was and how if u told him he couldnt do it, he would do it, so yes he could decide to score 100 he is that competitive which is what made him the greatest, and by the way the 69 he had in overtime in boston against an the 86 celts that only lost two game the entire season including the finals and had a roster with 5 hall of famers (bird, mchale, johnson, walton, parrish), not to mention jordan was coming off a broken foot, keep in mind this was before there were a lot of crappy expansion teams so u would see some talented rosters like that (lakers for example), although that 86 bulls team didnt have a single hall of famer on that team except jordan

llperez

dye, i do not think the comp was better back then. Those celtics teams had danny ainge as their main defender for wings. You see the clip where jordan is crossing over bird and bird is giving him like 5 feet? The game evolves. Theres no denying the athletes are better one on one defenders today out on the perimiter. So jordan hit 6 threes on drexler. Just goes to show you he wasnt that great of a three point shooter when you hit 6 threes in one half and people want to make it seem like you conquered the impossible. Jordan was not a great three point shooter, average by todays standrards. Im not bashing jordan becasue he is the goat, but like andybeng said, people act like he was this unbeatable god who could do no wrong. The most he ever scored in regualtion was 63 points. Thats his absolute best scoring day. You think he could just "decide" to score an extra 37 points?

llperez

also someone brought up that the tempo of todays game would help jordan. Far from it. Its common knowledge that there were more possesions, more shots, more scoring and the game was played at a faster tempo in the 80’s.

llperez

also someone brought up that the tempo of todays game would help jordan. Far from it. Its common knowledge that there were more possesions, more shots, more scoring and the game was played at a faster tempo in the 80’s.

Hitster
    Participant

Although players will but up 30ppg across a season and MJ averaged 32.1ppg in his Chicago career, anything above 70 points in one game is a one off. MJ must have had numerous 50 point games in his career especially when he averaged 37ppg one regular season. But his personal best was 69 so just behind David Robinson on the all time list. Most of the highest scores were by Wilt in a previous era and Kobe’s 81 point game was probably a one off. I wonder how many games MJ was pulled out of with them won when he was on 40 to 50 points, I’d imagine the number would be high. Also I seem to recall Kobe had 60 to 62 poits in a game after the 3rd quarter but was benched to rest him during the same season as his 81 points game.

With the advent of 3ppg in more recent years then perimeter players probably have the advantage as to see a big go for over 40 points a game is now fairly rare.

I was a bit surprised that MJ wasn’t on the list but of today’s players I’d probably say the guy who could have potentially the biggest single points game in the next few years would be Kevin Durant. LeBron and D-Wade will have to share shots, Kobe has Gasol on the team now and will not play excessive minutes unless really required. But when you consider that Durant’s best is 47 points in one game you see how far he’d have to climb but surely in the future he’ll have 50 or maybe even a 60 point game like LeBron and AI have done in recent years. Melo has a personal best of 50 points in one game but if he joined a more loaded team then he’d have less shots.

Hitster
    Participant

Although players will but up 30ppg across a season and MJ averaged 32.1ppg in his Chicago career, anything above 70 points in one game is a one off. MJ must have had numerous 50 point games in his career especially when he averaged 37ppg one regular season. But his personal best was 69 so just behind David Robinson on the all time list. Most of the highest scores were by Wilt in a previous era and Kobe’s 81 point game was probably a one off. I wonder how many games MJ was pulled out of with them won when he was on 40 to 50 points, I’d imagine the number would be high. Also I seem to recall Kobe had 60 to 62 poits in a game after the 3rd quarter but was benched to rest him during the same season as his 81 points game.

With the advent of 3ppg in more recent years then perimeter players probably have the advantage as to see a big go for over 40 points a game is now fairly rare.

I was a bit surprised that MJ wasn’t on the list but of today’s players I’d probably say the guy who could have potentially the biggest single points game in the next few years would be Kevin Durant. LeBron and D-Wade will have to share shots, Kobe has Gasol on the team now and will not play excessive minutes unless really required. But when you consider that Durant’s best is 47 points in one game you see how far he’d have to climb but surely in the future he’ll have 50 or maybe even a 60 point game like LeBron and AI have done in recent years. Melo has a personal best of 50 points in one game but if he joined a more loaded team then he’d have less shots.

JoeWolf1

Here is a question though, Micheal Jordan never played a game with a 3 point line until he was a rookie in the NBA.  If he were playing in today’s game he would have grown up playing with a 3 point line his whole life?

For being the GOAT,he didn’t have a GREAT 3 point shot, but near the end of his career before he started to lose his legs a little bit (his jump shot had a very high release and was relyant on jumping high, I feel his shooting percentage plummeted in his late 30’s was in part because his release was lower) he shot near 40% (and 43% in 95-96), but that being said he worked hard on his outside shot because he was like that, he shot 17% as a rookie,  but 32% as a career, and over 374% 3 full seasons in his career.

I feel if he played with the 3 point line growing up he would be around a 40% 3 point shooter.  He had the work ethic and had he been shooting 3’s for 21 years before he entered the NBA, I don’t think that would be the blairing weakpoint in his game.

JoeWolf1

Here is a question though, Micheal Jordan never played a game with a 3 point line until he was a rookie in the NBA.  If he were playing in today’s game he would have grown up playing with a 3 point line his whole life?

For being the GOAT,he didn’t have a GREAT 3 point shot, but near the end of his career before he started to lose his legs a little bit (his jump shot had a very high release and was relyant on jumping high, I feel his shooting percentage plummeted in his late 30’s was in part because his release was lower) he shot near 40% (and 43% in 95-96), but that being said he worked hard on his outside shot because he was like that, he shot 17% as a rookie,  but 32% as a career, and over 374% 3 full seasons in his career.

I feel if he played with the 3 point line growing up he would be around a 40% 3 point shooter.  He had the work ethic and had he been shooting 3’s for 21 years before he entered the NBA, I don’t think that would be the blairing weakpoint in his game.

Steroid
    Participant

Kobe in the top ten when it comes to guards? That is what’s shocking here… It seems like people forget how good Kobe was back in his twenties. Kobe would get double/triple teamed regularly and he’d still drop 30-40 points on you. People don’t respect the difficulty of the shots that Kobe had to take. He is on the downside of his career, but to say he is just a top 10 guard is crazy.

Steroid
    Participant

Kobe in the top ten when it comes to guards? That is what’s shocking here… It seems like people forget how good Kobe was back in his twenties. Kobe would get double/triple teamed regularly and he’d still drop 30-40 points on you. People don’t respect the difficulty of the shots that Kobe had to take. He is on the downside of his career, but to say he is just a top 10 guard is crazy.

JoeWolf1

^^^ Thats because Lebron and Kevin Durant are the "in" guys right now. 

JoeWolf1

^^^ Thats because Lebron and Kevin Durant are the "in" guys right now. 

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

@llperez

I’m not understanding you… MJ wasn’t a God, despite Bird saying he was "God disguised as Michael Jordan", but you’re not giving him enough credit.

What is SO different about NBA basketball in 2010 than in 2003 when Jordan scored 43 against Vince Carter’s Nets as a 40 year old man (who was smoking cigars during the regular season)? Did he not face the league’s top wing players and have no problem lighting them up? He put up 30 or more nine times and 40 or more three times that season. Now insert the prime Jordan who was a killer… You don’t think he’d have a shot at 100, IF that was his goal?

You’re discrediting the competition Jordan faced in the mid 80’s – early 90’s to an extent, but do you not remember him dropping 55 on the Knicks, who were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, only a few games after he came out of his first retirement? He put up HUGE games against the late 80’s – early 90’s Pistons, who were better defensively than majority of NBA teams today.

I also don’t get your point about Jordan not being a great three-point shooter. Neither is Kobe (who’s career three-point percentage isn’t that higher than Jordan’s), however didn’t he go off for 12 in 2003? My point is that the great one’s can catch fire and just go off. It wouldn’t be easy, but on one of those special nights, Jordan could have a shot at 100 IF that was his goal (and people told him he couldn’t do it). I don’t think anybody would’ve said Kobe could score 81 before he did it either. And I consider Jordan to be a greater and more relentless offensive player than Kobe.

Anyway… I don’t think Jordan’s comment was to be taken so literal… His point was to poke at how the rules have changed and the game has gotten soft.  

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

@llperez

I’m not understanding you… MJ wasn’t a God, despite Bird saying he was "God disguised as Michael Jordan", but you’re not giving him enough credit.

What is SO different about NBA basketball in 2010 than in 2003 when Jordan scored 43 against Vince Carter’s Nets as a 40 year old man (who was smoking cigars during the regular season)? Did he not face the league’s top wing players and have no problem lighting them up? He put up 30 or more nine times and 40 or more three times that season. Now insert the prime Jordan who was a killer… You don’t think he’d have a shot at 100, IF that was his goal?

You’re discrediting the competition Jordan faced in the mid 80’s – early 90’s to an extent, but do you not remember him dropping 55 on the Knicks, who were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, only a few games after he came out of his first retirement? He put up HUGE games against the late 80’s – early 90’s Pistons, who were better defensively than majority of NBA teams today.

I also don’t get your point about Jordan not being a great three-point shooter. Neither is Kobe (who’s career three-point percentage isn’t that higher than Jordan’s), however didn’t he go off for 12 in 2003? My point is that the great one’s can catch fire and just go off. It wouldn’t be easy, but on one of those special nights, Jordan could have a shot at 100 IF that was his goal (and people told him he couldn’t do it). I don’t think anybody would’ve said Kobe could score 81 before he did it either. And I consider Jordan to be a greater and more relentless offensive player than Kobe.

Anyway… I don’t think Jordan’s comment was to be taken so literal… His point was to poke at how the rules have changed and the game has gotten soft.  

llperez

@indiana, yeah, but look at those numbers you are bringing up, 40’s, 50’s is a HUGE difference then 100. He would need to have 55 almost by half time. And kobe shoots way more contested threes then jordan did which is why the percentages are so close. Jordan only barely made more then a 100 like 2-3 times in his career. The thing about jordan is that he was so much better then the comp that he rarely had to settle for bad shots, which is certainly a good thing. He would get to his spot and take a quality shot. But to score 100, you arent gonna get that on taking just quality shots. You gotta be hitting some ridiculous stuff. And all bias aside, kobe is better at jordan when it comes to hitting stupid contested shots. Even phil jackson has admitted this and i think even the biggest jordan supporters should give kobe the edge at hitting tough contested shots and pull up 3’s and what not. I just dont see anyone hitting for 100 in todays game or in the immediate future. Not a prime kobe, iverson, lebron, durant or jordan. You have to get 25 per quarter, thats crazy.

llperez

@indiana, yeah, but look at those numbers you are bringing up, 40’s, 50’s is a HUGE difference then 100. He would need to have 55 almost by half time. And kobe shoots way more contested threes then jordan did which is why the percentages are so close. Jordan only barely made more then a 100 like 2-3 times in his career. The thing about jordan is that he was so much better then the comp that he rarely had to settle for bad shots, which is certainly a good thing. He would get to his spot and take a quality shot. But to score 100, you arent gonna get that on taking just quality shots. You gotta be hitting some ridiculous stuff. And all bias aside, kobe is better at jordan when it comes to hitting stupid contested shots. Even phil jackson has admitted this and i think even the biggest jordan supporters should give kobe the edge at hitting tough contested shots and pull up 3’s and what not. I just dont see anyone hitting for 100 in todays game or in the immediate future. Not a prime kobe, iverson, lebron, durant or jordan. You have to get 25 per quarter, thats crazy.

Michael.S.
    Participant

Actually I think Iverson, McGrady, Jordan, Kobe. LeBron etc… could all score 100 in a game, BUT they would need to go out of their way to get there. Plus even if they wanted to get 100 they need to be really hot that game. Some people here are just being unrealistic. Jordan could not score 100 on the regular, thats absurd. Any one of the scorers I lised above could do it, it just has to be an incredibly lucky game for them. They were/are all pretty much unstoppable.

Michael.S.
    Participant

Actually I think Iverson, McGrady, Jordan, Kobe. LeBron etc… could all score 100 in a game, BUT they would need to go out of their way to get there. Plus even if they wanted to get 100 they need to be really hot that game. Some people here are just being unrealistic. Jordan could not score 100 on the regular, thats absurd. Any one of the scorers I lised above could do it, it just has to be an incredibly lucky game for them. They were/are all pretty much unstoppable.

JoeWolf1

Some quarter and half breakdowns of Jordan’s scoring ability.

Most free throws made in a quarter – 14 (twice)

Most free throw attempts in a half – 23

Consecutive points in a game – 23

Points in a half – 39

Points in a quarter – 30

You look at what he did, and what he was capable of when he got hot.  I know this is all hypothetical, but I think he could drop 100 in today’s NBA if he really wanted to, but like I said earlier from my experience watching him, I don’t think he would go above 75 because of his style of play. But to say 63 was his absolute best scoring game and acting like he couldnt’ go above that I feel is inaccurate.  He took over when he felt he needed to, I don’t think there is a team or a situation in the NBA Jordan could be on that he would feel he needed to drop 100, but a prime Jordan playing the Warriors where they were hanging with them I think he’d go for 75 easy.

JoeWolf1

Some quarter and half breakdowns of Jordan’s scoring ability.

Most free throws made in a quarter – 14 (twice)

Most free throw attempts in a half – 23

Consecutive points in a game – 23

Points in a half – 39

Points in a quarter – 30

You look at what he did, and what he was capable of when he got hot.  I know this is all hypothetical, but I think he could drop 100 in today’s NBA if he really wanted to, but like I said earlier from my experience watching him, I don’t think he would go above 75 because of his style of play. But to say 63 was his absolute best scoring game and acting like he couldnt’ go above that I feel is inaccurate.  He took over when he felt he needed to, I don’t think there is a team or a situation in the NBA Jordan could be on that he would feel he needed to drop 100, but a prime Jordan playing the Warriors where they were hanging with them I think he’d go for 75 easy.

llperez

oh i defenitely think he could go over 63 nad it was in no way my intention to suggest that was the best he could do, just pointing out that his very best scoring game was WAY lower then 100. I mean look at those stats you brought up, none of those make me think 100. Oh yeah, and are you showing up to the draft in 10 minutes joe?

llperez

oh i defenitely think he could go over 63 nad it was in no way my intention to suggest that was the best he could do, just pointing out that his very best scoring game was WAY lower then 100. I mean look at those stats you brought up, none of those make me think 100. Oh yeah, and are you showing up to the draft in 10 minutes joe?

JoeWolf1

yeah, its a tough question and I don’t think he would, but he was such a killer I think he could if he wanted to, but it would be at the jeopardy of his team so again I don’t think he would.  30 in a quarter in the late 80’s and with today’s foul calls he could goto the line 40 times. Very unlikely, but from my weird scientific mind, I say there is enough variable to not rule it completely out of possibility.

Yep, just signed in!!

JoeWolf1

yeah, its a tough question and I don’t think he would, but he was such a killer I think he could if he wanted to, but it would be at the jeopardy of his team so again I don’t think he would.  30 in a quarter in the late 80’s and with today’s foul calls he could goto the line 40 times. Very unlikely, but from my weird scientific mind, I say there is enough variable to not rule it completely out of possibility.

Yep, just signed in!!

andxxx
    Participant

The only way Jordan could’ve put up 100 is if he was on that same team Kobe had or on any bad team.  The problem is he wasn’t on any bad teams during his prime if he was I think he could possibly do it

andxxx
    Participant

The only way Jordan could’ve put up 100 is if he was on that same team Kobe had or on any bad team.  The problem is he wasn’t on any bad teams during his prime if he was I think he could possibly do it

joecheck88
    Participant

wilt chamberlin hit 100 once, when he was far superior to his competition. jordan was great but 100% no he could not have scored 100.

joecheck88
    Participant

wilt chamberlin hit 100 once, when he was far superior to his competition. jordan was great but 100% no he could not have scored 100.

llperez

Im not underestimating mike, i think people are underestimating how hard it is to score 100. WIlt put up 64 fg’s and 32 ft’s and the 4th quarter was a joke. Other then that, kobe is the only guy to pass 80 and he went ape sh.it to do that and 81 is really not that close to 100. When you play out of your mind as it is, its not like another 19 points is easy, thats a whole nother quarter of basketball. Is jordan great and the goat and all that yes, but no man alive just decides to score 100 points. The game is played at a slower more deliberate pace today then it was in the 80’s.

llperez

Im not underestimating mike, i think people are underestimating how hard it is to score 100. WIlt put up 64 fg’s and 32 ft’s and the 4th quarter was a joke. Other then that, kobe is the only guy to pass 80 and he went ape sh.it to do that and 81 is really not that close to 100. When you play out of your mind as it is, its not like another 19 points is easy, thats a whole nother quarter of basketball. Is jordan great and the goat and all that yes, but no man alive just decides to score 100 points. The game is played at a slower more deliberate pace today then it was in the 80’s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login