This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar kacey 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    freddy79
    Participant

Assuming that until next June the situation is not solved, how could that condition next draft? Early entry players would declare anyway?

Toronto16
    Participant

Yes they ca. Same thing happened in the 98-99 season. Guys like Vince Carter’s rookie season was cut short to 50 games.

I think the college guys should use this opportunity to stay an extra year in college though.

llperez

I dont think the players will allow the possibility of a lockout to effect whether or not they come out. Im sure most figure when push comes to shove and the actual possibility of games being missed, somehting will get done and the players probably feel the same way too. They wont know for sure if there will be a lockout until after the draft, so i think they will do what they do.

Plus, cant they enter the draft get selected and still go back to school and play anyways? I know that used to be the rule and guys have done it before. The team still owns your rights so you cant reenter the draft, but you can go back and play in college. Unless they changed that rule.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Once you declare for the draft you are not eligible to play in College. Although you can still play overseas and that could turn into an option for some propspects especially Vesely, Motiejunas and other International prospects.

llperez

i wonder when they changed that rule. I know voshon lenard was one of the most recent to get drafted and return to keep playing in college before he entered the nba. Larry bird did it back in the day. I guess i better google it.

wutever
    Participant

worst nightmare ever if both the nfl and nba lockout next year….i wouldnt know what to do with my life.

GrandfiNalley101
    Participant

I thought u could go back as long as u don’t hire an agent. I believe that is still the rule, it is just not utilized anymore. Good question. Will check and see if llperez post what he finds on google.

llperez

i read that players who are drafted can not go back to school. SO i guess they must have changed it, couldnt find when.

dipt1982
    Participant

If your drafted, you CANNOT go back to play in college, why would an NBA team with the rights to your services want you to threaten there investment by getting injured? Too high of a risk for players to do that.

And yeah, if you DO NOT hire an agent, you can declare for the draft and back out, but there is a date that has to be done by…

I really don’t see the NBA getting to the point of missing games, since the league has grown so much over the past few years, and a lockout would only hurt the business more…

llperez

yeah i see that now. I just didnt realize they changed that rule becasue you used be able to get drafted and go back and play college and the team would just hold your rights. Voshon Lenard was the last one i remeber doing that, but that was like 10 years ago, so i must have slept on that one.

WizardofOz
    Participant

I think Randolph Morris did it too.

kacey
    Participant

Randolph Morris wasn’t drafted though.

Dee Bost seems to be in a similar situation right now. Does anyone know if he is playing next year at MSU? He never officially withdrew from the draft.

JNixon
    Participant

Dee Bost is playing overseas I believe. He’s going to be good too. He’s like a poor mans Brandon Jennings. I really wanted to see him stay at Mississippi State

stanford hoops

The poll they did early in the summer said most players said they would stay in college another year. It was either CBS sports or cnnsi. Might have been usatoday

StF616
    Participant

I Sure hope theres no lockout..
    I Cant imagine the nba season to 50 games only =(
    And I Want Tmac To Playyy Ful 82 Games!!
    =P

stanford hoops

Ike bost game. He’s not playing in Europe yet though cuz the season hasn’t started. I’m
    pretty sure he will be or the d leauge

kacey
    Participant

Dee Bost is actually taking summer classes at MSU. I think he is still holding out hope the NCAA allows him to play next year.

No overseas ball for him at the moment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login