This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by r377r377 r377 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Anton123
    Participant

It seems Kentucky’s roster will be really unbalanced next year. Right now it looks like they will lose virtually all their guards: Monk (29.4 mpg), Fox (30.3 mpg) and Briscoe (30.5 mpg) to the draft and Mulder (12.1 mpg) and Hawkins (16.6 mpg) to graduation. That’s a lot of minutes to fill.

They currently have 4 five star recruits only one of whom is a guard (Quade Green), two are SF/PFs and their top recruit is a center.

How will Callipari manage the situation? If Wenyen Gabriel decides to stay we may be looking at some more transfers and a super-thin backourt. 

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Shai Richardson is a guard they signed

DunksNJordans23
      Participant

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is the gentlemans name.

negguary
        Participant

people’s thoughts on quade?? Is he a four year player, great college player, or does he actually have a shot at going to the league? I’ve seen him play in person and just don’t see the height or the game to be one and done or NBA at all. 

Bankroll PJ
    Participant

I think a couple guys from this roster are sure to transfer next year since so many frontcourt pieces are coming in.  I think 2 of the following will transfer: Isaac Humphries, Sach Jones, Tai Wynard with the latter two being most likely to transfer.  It’ll also be interesting to see how Cal closes out the recruiting cycle to finish out the backcourt.  If he gets Hamidou Diallo I think they’ll be fine, and he’ll probably look to get a few grad transfers as well

SubZero
    Participant

That’s a great question. Hamidou Diallo, Mo Bamba, and Trae Young are all considering us and I think we have a good chance to get 1 or maybe 2 of them. Wenyen and Killeya-Jones will most likely stay, but they’re both pretty versatile so Wenyen can play the 3 spot (I expect him to make a big jump next year, and Cal calls him a 6’9″ guard so I don’t think it’s crazy to think), and Killeya-Jones could potentially play a Trey Lyles role. Then Vanderbilt and Washington are pretty mobile so they won’t just have to be camped out down low. If we got either Diallo or Young that would help us out tremendously though

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Young and Diallo may both end up at Kansas with Billy Preston

Anton123
    Participant

Diallo may not even go to college though, this site has him in the 2017 draft. Trae Young will help, but that would give Kentucky a terribly undersized backcourt.

I’m sure they’ll still be a pretty good team though, don’t get me wrong, it’s just a very interesting situation and I wanted to discuss it.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Would be the lack of shooting. Lets say that [Player: Isaiah Briscoe] decides to come back with the hopes of taking on even more of an offensive role, that certainly does not help shooting matters. He has improved his shooting quite a bit and I know it may be harsh, but I tend to believe that Briscoe jumpers more often than not are equivalent to defensive rebounds. Even on this current roster, outside of [Player: Malik Monk] (who is shooting at an elite level] and [Player: Mychal Mulder], no one is shooting well from the outside either.

The problem is, once you loose Monk, [Player: DeAaron Fox] and [Player: Bam Adebayo], the talent drop off is significant. [Player: Nick Richards] will take time and you are not getting help outside from [Player: PJ Washington] (who is a 4). [Player: Jarred Vanderbilt] is talented and could play multiple positions, even possibly take on some secondary handling duty, but shooting is not at all his strong suit. [Player: Quade Green] shot 36.2% 3PT in the EYBL last season, which is not bad, but will be hard to believe he steps in for Monk. Granted, Monk did only shoot 32.1% 3PT, but he also brought an explosive athleticism and scoring ability that Green does not possess.

[Player: Shai Alexander] is the sleeper, he played with the Canadian Senior Mens team last summer and impressed in try-outs. Still, it does not seem that shooting is a large part of what he brings to the table. In terms of size, length and athleticism, Kentucky will have plenty of that. What it will lack even more than guard depth, unless they get a player like [Player: Trae Young] (who is a fantastic shooter) will be ability to stretch the floor. There is absolutely a difference between being able to shoot the 3 and being consistent in shooting the 3. Think that UK fans would be right to worry about where that consistency comes from next year unless they get a key recruit.

In terms of [Player: Hamidou Diallo], he has long been connected with Kentucky and is one of the more explosive wing prospects in the class of 2017. However, while he has a 6’10 wingspan as well as great run/jump athleticism, even strong on-ball defense, I had a chance to check out his shot chart from long range and, yikes. College basketball has become a guards game much like the NBA, with shooting being an absolute factor in making champions. Calipari has once again acquired top recruits, just seems that their is not a notable long range shooter among the group.

Bob Ball
    Participant

i don’t see green as a one and done player, but I said the same thing about Tyler Ennius at Cuse and Tyus Jones at Duke. Small guards with questionable athleticism. They big winning streak early at Cuse helped Ennis and Winning the national championship helped Jones. I say that to say UKs success will matter a lot for Green. He’s very much in the same mold as the aforementioned players. Ennis and Jones used team success to boost there stock and strike while the iron was hot.

theballerway
    Participant

I kinda still think he might declsare for the draft but he is enrolling at Kentucky in the coming week or so .

Its interesting because they say he is not ging to play this season but at least he will benefit from all the weight training, conditioning and coaching, Just in time for the draft/ or summer. If he doesnt declare though thats a majoer plus for their backcourt next season. His tools are immense just needs some refinement and iq work.

theballerway
    Participant

I kinda still think he might declsare for the draft but he is enrolling at Kentucky in the coming week or so .

Its interesting because they say he is not ging to play this season but at least he will benefit from all the weight training, conditioning and coaching, Just in time for the draft/ or summer. If he doesnt declare though thats a majoer plus for their backcourt next season. His tools are immense just needs some refinement and iq work.

theballerway
    Participant

Hype Machine

William McDowell White is someone they should take a long hard look at. He will be draft eligible as an international for 2017 and you better believe hes on NBA scouts radars.

Hes a  Manu Ginobli clone with a Kawhi Leanord personality

I want this forum to stop regurgitating the same prospects that draft sites spoon feed you. 

Mark my words….William McDowell White is the best Aussie prospect since Ben Simmons. Either you pay attention now, or you’ll be one of those uneducated twitter fools who say ‘he came outta nowhere" on draft night.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

Since when has Kentucky ever had a problem with their roster.

Year after year they get the best recruits. Its becoming boring, they are like the NE Patriots of the H.S recruiting world….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login