This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar ucla86 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    dsrepresenta
    Participant

With the way josh and ucla have been playing lately I can see him moving up the ranks into the lottery in 2012. But the down side is he overweight for the pros like a younger eddy curry.

JoeWolf1

He’s played pretty well as of late, but look at what he is…He’s a 6’10” center with weight problems. Maybe if he were 7′ or 7’1” then yeah, he could possibly considered in the lottery, but aside from his weight he’s undersized to play C in the pros.

Dexter Pittman was a 6’10” 300 lb center as a sophomore and it took him really working hard and putting in a lot of effort to lose those pounds to be considered a legit draft pick and he was taken in the 2nd round.  I don’t think there is any chance Joshua Smith will be in the lottery, but if he drops about 20-25 lbs and continues to improve he could be a late 1st- early 2nd round pick…but thats a big if.  You can’t assume a person is going to lose that kind of weight.  For all your overeweight big mean, guys like Pittman with killer work ethics are the minority.

JoeWolf1

He’s played pretty well as of late, but look at what he is…He’s a 6’10” center with weight problems. Maybe if he were 7′ or 7’1” then yeah, he could possibly considered in the lottery, but aside from his weight he’s undersized to play C in the pros.

Dexter Pittman was a 6’10” 300 lb center as a sophomore and it took him really working hard and putting in a lot of effort to lose those pounds to be considered a legit draft pick and he was taken in the 2nd round.  I don’t think there is any chance Joshua Smith will be in the lottery, but if he drops about 20-25 lbs and continues to improve he could be a late 1st- early 2nd round pick…but thats a big if.  You can’t assume a person is going to lose that kind of weight.  For all your overeweight big mean, guys like Pittman with killer work ethics are the minority.

ucla86
    Participant

Josh Smith will play three (HOPEFULLY four years) at UCLA, and will be drafted in the mid to late first round….Just my opinion.

I think towards the end of his sophmore year, all his junior year, and HOPEFULLY all his senior year, Josh will be a top 5 big man in college basketball. He has amazing moves around the bucket, complimented with great pivoting and footwork, and the cherry on top is his soft hands. He reminds me a lot of Sean May, when UNC won the national title a few years back to be honest.

More Pro’s..

He almost always needs to be double teamed in the post, and if he catches the ball within three-four feet of the net, it’s an automatic bucket or trip to the charity stripe at least. As well, he is a very good passer for a big man, and I like his ability to pass the ball out of the post if he is trapped/double teamed, etc.

Con’s..

His downfall is he is EXTREMELY foul prone at this time in his career, and finds himself on the bench due to foul trouble in literally half of UCLA’s games. His bigger downfoul though (because I think being foul prone will decrease as he matures as sophmore/junior) is his athletisicm. In games that Josh is not foul prone and playing heavy minutes, he looks very tired/fatigued in the second half. A lot of times he literally stuggles just to make it downcourt. It is this reason that I think he will play at least 3-4 years at UCLA, because he has all the NBA game in the world (even right now) but his conditioning/fitness/athletisicm is a work in progress, at least two-three years away.. 

Just my opinion again.

ucla86
    Participant

Josh Smith will play three (HOPEFULLY four years) at UCLA, and will be drafted in the mid to late first round….Just my opinion.

I think towards the end of his sophmore year, all his junior year, and HOPEFULLY all his senior year, Josh will be a top 5 big man in college basketball. He has amazing moves around the bucket, complimented with great pivoting and footwork, and the cherry on top is his soft hands. He reminds me a lot of Sean May, when UNC won the national title a few years back to be honest.

More Pro’s..

He almost always needs to be double teamed in the post, and if he catches the ball within three-four feet of the net, it’s an automatic bucket or trip to the charity stripe at least. As well, he is a very good passer for a big man, and I like his ability to pass the ball out of the post if he is trapped/double teamed, etc.

Con’s..

His downfall is he is EXTREMELY foul prone at this time in his career, and finds himself on the bench due to foul trouble in literally half of UCLA’s games. His bigger downfoul though (because I think being foul prone will decrease as he matures as sophmore/junior) is his athletisicm. In games that Josh is not foul prone and playing heavy minutes, he looks very tired/fatigued in the second half. A lot of times he literally stuggles just to make it downcourt. It is this reason that I think he will play at least 3-4 years at UCLA, because he has all the NBA game in the world (even right now) but his conditioning/fitness/athletisicm is a work in progress, at least two-three years away.. 

Just my opinion again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login