This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar stanford hoops 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    ilike.panochas
    Participant

Obviously we all know the story on Tyler, forgoing his senior year of high school to go play overseas. I don’t know the scouting report on this guy, and never got the chance to watch him play in any senior all-star exhibition games (McDonald’s game, Jordan Classic, etc.). If he was still eligible to go to college, how does he rank amongst the top 2010 class?

the fan
    Participant

I think people are sleeping on Tyler. I believe this site has him as a boderline first rounder. Pretty sure that before he left for Europe he was number 1 in his class or close to it, but his choice to go overseas was a horrible idea. Just because Jennings did it does not mean any hs prospect can, you have to be very tough mentally (like Jennings) and more high schoolers are nowhere near that, like Tyler. He should be a solid player in the NBA, just because he left doesn’t mean he sucks. He should’ve just tried to transfer schools, I wouldn’t want to be covered by 4 guys and have NO help every game either.

the fan
    Participant

I think people are sleeping on Tyler. I believe this site has him as a boderline first rounder. Pretty sure that before he left for Europe he was number 1 in his class or close to it, but his choice to go overseas was a horrible idea. Just because Jennings did it does not mean any hs prospect can, you have to be very tough mentally (like Jennings) and more high schoolers are nowhere near that, like Tyler. He should be a solid player in the NBA, just because he left doesn’t mean he sucks. He should’ve just tried to transfer schools, I wouldn’t want to be covered by 4 guys and have NO help every game either.

stanford hoops

he was top 3 before heading overseas. tremendous talent but attitude has always been in question

stanford hoops

he was top 3 before heading overseas. tremendous talent but attitude has always been in question

ilike.panochas
    Participant

His choice of going Europe at his age was definitely a mistake, but what stands out to me the most is the way he quit on the team. It shows he is not ready to handle adversity, thats why I applaud Brandon Jennings despite not getting any minutes in Europe, he stuck with it, worked hard, and conducted himself professionally. But I still have no clue on what Tyler’s game is all about.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

His choice of going Europe at his age was definitely a mistake, but what stands out to me the most is the way he quit on the team. It shows he is not ready to handle adversity, thats why I applaud Brandon Jennings despite not getting any minutes in Europe, he stuck with it, worked hard, and conducted himself professionally. But I still have no clue on what Tyler’s game is all about.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

If he would have came back….He probably be top 10.

I think alot of Tier 2 schools ( UConn, Louisville, UCLA, G-Town) would be running hard for him

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

If he would have came back….He probably be top 10.

I think alot of Tier 2 schools ( UConn, Louisville, UCLA, G-Town) would be running hard for him

WizardofOz
    Participant

I haven’t really seen Tyler play all that much. I know that he was the #1 player in the class of 2010 on basically every recruiting website before he want to Europe. I think going to Europe was a big mistake and if he had stayed in the U.S., people might be saying he would be the #1 pick in the 2011 draft becasue the way he was hyped up. Now people are saying he will go late1st early 2nd-round.

WizardofOz
    Participant

I haven’t really seen Tyler play all that much. I know that he was the #1 player in the class of 2010 on basically every recruiting website before he want to Europe. I think going to Europe was a big mistake and if he had stayed in the U.S., people might be saying he would be the #1 pick in the 2011 draft becasue the way he was hyped up. Now people are saying he will go late1st early 2nd-round.

stanford hoops

i think it was a good idea to go over because even though his stats dont show he got to train and practice against guys who are better then him and who are way more skilled. if he would have stayed in hs he prob wouldnt have worked too hard on his game and been surrounded by yes men in hs and in college. since he went pro he had to deal with people who werent gonna kiss his butt and make him work. int he short run it might hurt him as far as where he’s drafted but in the long run it will help because of what he has learned

being the number one pick is all well and good but if youre the number one pick while just going through hs and college playing off youre god given ability then that putss you further behind the curve compared to going in getting drafted later but being 2 years ahead of what you would have been skill wise

stanford hoops

i think it was a good idea to go over because even though his stats dont show he got to train and practice against guys who are better then him and who are way more skilled. if he would have stayed in hs he prob wouldnt have worked too hard on his game and been surrounded by yes men in hs and in college. since he went pro he had to deal with people who werent gonna kiss his butt and make him work. int he short run it might hurt him as far as where he’s drafted but in the long run it will help because of what he has learned

being the number one pick is all well and good but if youre the number one pick while just going through hs and college playing off youre god given ability then that putss you further behind the curve compared to going in getting drafted later but being 2 years ahead of what you would have been skill wise

canesboy6
    Participant

I agree with you. The difficulties he faced in Israel are the same ones he would have faced in either college or the NBA. Some kids get really used to bieng told how special they are, and even though theyre 7 feet tall, they are still high school kids. He must have improved and matured a little bit, and has seen his stock take a huge tumble, so there is no question he is incentivised.

I’ve heard the kid is a huge headcase so he probably wont ever reach his full potential, but even half his potential is at a Tyson Chandler, Javale Mcgee type level, so he is definately an interesting case.

canesboy6
    Participant

I agree with you. The difficulties he faced in Israel are the same ones he would have faced in either college or the NBA. Some kids get really used to bieng told how special they are, and even though theyre 7 feet tall, they are still high school kids. He must have improved and matured a little bit, and has seen his stock take a huge tumble, so there is no question he is incentivised.

I’ve heard the kid is a huge headcase so he probably wont ever reach his full potential, but even half his potential is at a Tyson Chandler, Javale Mcgee type level, so he is definately an interesting case.

stanford hoops

the game i saw him play in vegas a couple years back he was yelling at his coach and teammates and no one said a thing to him. i think he got used to no one saying anything too him because of how talented he is(lance stephenson) and from what ive read his father isnt helping matters( just like lance)

i think some of these nba players need to try to mentor some of these his stars that have attitude problems instead of just befriending a john wall, lebron james(when he was in hs) d.wagner. befriend the j.tylers, d.cousins , l.stephensons…

stanford hoops

the game i saw him play in vegas a couple years back he was yelling at his coach and teammates and no one said a thing to him. i think he got used to no one saying anything too him because of how talented he is(lance stephenson) and from what ive read his father isnt helping matters( just like lance)

i think some of these nba players need to try to mentor some of these his stars that have attitude problems instead of just befriending a john wall, lebron james(when he was in hs) d.wagner. befriend the j.tylers, d.cousins , l.stephensons…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login