This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar McDunkin 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    YoungKINGS
    Participant

A sophmore guard from Grinell College just broke the all-time NCAA record for points in a single game going 52 of 108 from the field, 27-71 from the 3 in 35 mins of play against Faith Baptist College. I’m sure you will here the whole story on ESPN soon. 138 points…Just crazy!!!!

Hale
    Participant

How the hell do you even get up that many shots in 35 minutes? That’s like a little over 3 per minute, with 2 of those being threes. That’s beyond ridiculous, is there anyone else on that team?

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

My friend goes to school near grinell, he says their whole philosophy and play style includes NO defense, still 108 shots??? He got to be averaging about 40 for the season now

TallmanNYC
    Participant

How do you get up 108 shots? I haven’t googled this yet, but I don’t really believe it. I also don’t really find it impressive to score 138 points on 108 shots. In a "great" game (from a scoring perspective), you should score twice as many points as you take shots (because you get to the line for easy free throws). 

TallmanNYC
    Participant

Well I just read this on ESPN. Yep it is true. The guy got up 71 threes. He hit a mediocre percentage but if you get up 71 threes, I guess you are going to break some scoring records. 

Frankly, I’m not sure this was really a basketball game. It certainly wasn’t competive. I used to play on a team that played fast with a lot of threes. This is YMCA rec league type games, well after college. We had a running 44 minute clock (so the clock runs between possessions and fouls except in the last two minutes) to get the games done in a hour with warm ups. We could break 100 points every now and then just by running a bad team off the court and jacking threes. But there must have been 200 possessions per team in this game. How could the other team not find a way to run this guy off the three point line? Maybe they didn’t care because frankly he didn’t hit that high a percentage. And they were being crushed anyway. But I don’t really know how to compare this feat to scoring in a normal basketball game. What are we supposed to say. He scored 137 points on 108 shots. That percentage is good. Basically two to four guys on your team in an average game will average that kind of points per shot; in every game. But somehow he put up 108 shots in one game. How do you do that? As I said, I’ve kind of been on a team to do that. We would steal the ball a lot and then all run out and stop at three point line to jack one (not so much me, but other guys). But we could only do this against teams that we just totally outclassed. It really just became a race against the clock to get to 100. I’m sure some guys got their career highs in those games, but I doubt anyone considered those games individual career highlights. 

Grandmama
    Participant

How in the f*ck does someone jack up 71 three pointers in one game??  Wow

ShekiruBoom
    Participant

lol i love how this guy is getting hated on i wonder if wilt got this much hate on his 100 game because i know kobe didn’t get this for his 81. People are yelling at this guy for being a chucker and he definitely must have the chucking gene in him to score 138 but then why do you praise other players like wilt and kobe? This kid also shot 48% from the field and 38% from 3 for the game very good percentages for a player and for an entire team lol

Official
      Blakesanity
      Participant

That’s like NBA 2k11 my player … Very impressive!

TallmanNYC
    Participant

Not hating, I’m just not sure how there could be that many possessions in a basketball game. Also I’m not sure how a guy gets that many looks from three. Why can’t you just pressure him, force him to drive and then double him once he drives? How does he still get his shot off that often?

I’d be more impressed if he was just crazy hot and didn’t miss all night. But the guy missed nearly 60 shots that game. It basically comes down to how do you get that many possessions. Even if you run and play a fast game, it seems very hard to do unless the other team is really outclassed (but still classy enough not to intentionally foul or slow down the game in their offensive sets). 

TallmanNYC
    Participant
    RUDEBOY_
    Participant

If Anybody,Anywhere Scores 138 points in a game,he deserves his props…Especially if his team wins….lol..

But there were Some CRAZY Stats in that game…

1.Nobody is talking about Faith Baptist’s David Larson’s 70 pts on 34-44 shooting…

2.One player had 14 Turnovers and another one had 16…

3.Taylor attempting 108 shots…

4.Taylor made 18 three pointers in the final 20 minutes…

5.Taylor averaged 4 points per minute in the 2nd half…

What gets me,was the coach knew the game had been won..But he Kept Taylor on the floor ….

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

If Anybody,Anywhere Scores 138 points in a game,he deserves his props…Especially if his team wins….lol..

But there were Some CRAZY Stats in that game…

1.Nobody is talking about Faith Baptist’s David Larson’s 70 pts on 34-44 shooting…

2.One player had 14 Turnovers and another one had 16…

3.Taylor attempting 108 shots…

4.Taylor made 18 three pointers in the final 20 minutes…

5.Taylor averaged 4 points per minute in the 2nd half…

What gets me,was the coach knew the game had been won..But he Kept Taylor on the floor ….

joecheck88
    Participant

Where’s the pride? How if you’re on the opposing team do you let it happen. I’m not a great player but no way does he score that many if I’m guarding him. Zero chance.

druneave3
    Participant

In those highlights his defender was giving him so much space. Why didn’t they crowd him, send a double on the catch, 3/2 zone, box and 1, something……

TallmanNYC
      Participant

Well I think they couldn’t stay in front of him if they crowded him. He must have been able to get to the rim on anyone they threw at him.

But still, I would have crowded him, doubled him, kept the paint protected and made someone else on their team shoot the ball. I would not want this record to have been done against me and my team.

Worse, the season is young and so is he. He didn’t have a great shooting night. He’s got two more years of eligibility. His coach obviously orchastrated this. There may be another night where they go for the record again and if Jack is hot, well he could break it if he gets another 100 shots off.  

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I GUARANTEE YALL..There will be About 3 nba players will Go for 50 Points before this week is out……

Players get HYPED hearing stuff like this..

For_Never_Ever
    Participant

I read that the coach told the whole team after rebounding give it to Jack Taylor behind the 3 point line. I’m not impress by this no defense, catering to one player gimmick.

McDunkin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login