This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Foxdashman 10 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Mad Max
    Participant

it has Chad Ford’s top 14 prospects ranked in this order

J. Parker

A. Wiggins

J. Embiid

D. Exum

J. Randle

A. Gordon

M. Smart

W. Cauley-Stein

D. Saric

N. Vonleh

G. Harris

R. Hood

Z. LaVine

J. Young

Ford has Gordon, WCS, Saric, Young in his top 14/lotto who are all ranked outside of which on this site. This biggest difference is Gordon, who is 6th on Ford’s list, but 20th? I believe on here.

Your thoughts, feelings, questions, concerns, comments?

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I think people are overlooking TJ Warren,he’s a Paul Millsaps clone,that could slip into the late lottery or mid 1st round….Ian Miller’s game seems better suited for the pros,after the workouts he might move up……Ford seems to be very high on Chris Walker,who has yet to play for Florida yet…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I think people are overlooking TJ Warren,he’s a Paul Millsaps clone,that could slip into the late lottery or mid 1st round….Ian Miller’s game seems better suited for the pros,after the workouts he might move up……Ford seems to be very high on Chris Walker,who has yet to play for Florida yet…

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Aaron Gordon over Marcus Smart is a joke to me and I’m an Arizona fan.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Aaron Gordon over Marcus Smart is a joke to me and I’m an Arizona fan.

Jester87
    Participant

I’m ok with Chad Ford’s lottery, but I have LaVine and Hood higher and WCS lower. I think LaVine is not ready and could use another year in college, but he has the highest ceiling among guys not in consideration for the top pick. Hood looks like a very safe pick and has lot of things to like. WCS has potential on defense but he looks too bad on offense and I don’t see much upside.

Jester87
    Participant

I’m ok with Chad Ford’s lottery, but I have LaVine and Hood higher and WCS lower. I think LaVine is not ready and could use another year in college, but he has the highest ceiling among guys not in consideration for the top pick. Hood looks like a very safe pick and has lot of things to like. WCS has potential on defense but he looks too bad on offense and I don’t see much upside.

Moon River
    Participant

As a fan of the Orange I am glad to see he does not have Ennis in his top 20.  I love him as a prospect but think he is too high on this site.  I also selfishly want him to stay another year.

cuseflynn10
      Participant

I  don’t see Ennis or Grant declaring this year. Ennis is arguably the most consistent freshmen in the nation right now. He has 18 turnovers in 15 games and a few of those were from mis-timed alley oops. You take those out and he’s probably averaging less than a turnover a game at the PG position. Just to top it off he also adds in 11.7 points, 5.6 points, and 3.2 boards per game with 43% FG / 41% 3PT / 74% FT. He’s always in control of the game and serves as a pass first point guard who seems to always come up with the big play to stop the opponent from gaining momentum and going on a big run. He’s definitely a more convential type of point guard in an era when most guards look to score first. 

With that said, Ennis needs to improve his defense and athleticism before he gets to the next level. People always bash Cuse players for not being good man-to-man defenders in the NBA because they "lack experience" but they obviously have to practice in man-to-man since that is what most opponents use. I think a large part of him proving himself defensively in man-to-man at the next level will be tied into his athleticism. He’s pretty much average at everything athletically: 6’2 height, 180 pounds, isn’t blazing fast, and doesn’t have a ridiculous vertical. An extra year training in college would serve him well and could potentially launch him from a mid-to-late lottery type player into a potential top five pick (definitely closer to five then one, but I think he has potential to go that high in 2015’s weaker draft class than 2014). 

As for Grant, his athleticism is off the charts. He’s a freak of nature on the court and uses that to his advantage with his ability to finish at the rim, monster slams, and emphatic blocks (though only averages .8 per game). He’s a good rebounder getting 6.1 rpg in the zone which is pretty good for this system. Grant’s shooting 50% from the field this year and improved his FT% by 8 points from last year up to 64% (not great, but at least its trending in the right direction.) Grant’s big problem will be his outside shot and a defined position. He’s 6’8 and 210lbs. Most of his work in the paint revolves around putbacks off of offensive rebounds, alley oop passes, and cutting into the lane. He usually works from the high post or works to drive from the wings. He hasn’t really shown much of a low post presence and with his size, I don’t know if he’d be cut out to stay on the low block in the NBA. But his shooting range is only out to 15 feet, maybe 18 feet at the most. He shot 6-15 from three last year and is now 0-4 this year. You can tell when he gets the ball wide open behind the arc, he’s hesitant to pull the trigger. Grant really needs to either develop a low post presence to play PF at the next level(which may not be the best idea considering his size, but his athleticism could make up for it) or he needs to develop a reliable three point shot to keep defenses honest.

I would expect both Ennis and Grant to declare for the 2015 draft. I’m hoping they can both fix up the holes in their games and return to lead the team next year. With them likely leaving, Syracuse would likely add to recruits in the 2015 high school class to fill the whole they leave behind (I’m hoping for Derrick Jones and Thomas Bryant to pair along with Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon.) No matter what happens, the future is looking bright for the Cuse.

cuseflynn10
      Participant

I  don’t see Ennis or Grant declaring this year. Ennis is arguably the most consistent freshmen in the nation right now. He has 18 turnovers in 15 games and a few of those were from mis-timed alley oops. You take those out and he’s probably averaging less than a turnover a game at the PG position. Just to top it off he also adds in 11.7 points, 5.6 points, and 3.2 boards per game with 43% FG / 41% 3PT / 74% FT. He’s always in control of the game and serves as a pass first point guard who seems to always come up with the big play to stop the opponent from gaining momentum and going on a big run. He’s definitely a more convential type of point guard in an era when most guards look to score first. 

With that said, Ennis needs to improve his defense and athleticism before he gets to the next level. People always bash Cuse players for not being good man-to-man defenders in the NBA because they "lack experience" but they obviously have to practice in man-to-man since that is what most opponents use. I think a large part of him proving himself defensively in man-to-man at the next level will be tied into his athleticism. He’s pretty much average at everything athletically: 6’2 height, 180 pounds, isn’t blazing fast, and doesn’t have a ridiculous vertical. An extra year training in college would serve him well and could potentially launch him from a mid-to-late lottery type player into a potential top five pick (definitely closer to five then one, but I think he has potential to go that high in 2015’s weaker draft class than 2014). 

As for Grant, his athleticism is off the charts. He’s a freak of nature on the court and uses that to his advantage with his ability to finish at the rim, monster slams, and emphatic blocks (though only averages .8 per game). He’s a good rebounder getting 6.1 rpg in the zone which is pretty good for this system. Grant’s shooting 50% from the field this year and improved his FT% by 8 points from last year up to 64% (not great, but at least its trending in the right direction.) Grant’s big problem will be his outside shot and a defined position. He’s 6’8 and 210lbs. Most of his work in the paint revolves around putbacks off of offensive rebounds, alley oop passes, and cutting into the lane. He usually works from the high post or works to drive from the wings. He hasn’t really shown much of a low post presence and with his size, I don’t know if he’d be cut out to stay on the low block in the NBA. But his shooting range is only out to 15 feet, maybe 18 feet at the most. He shot 6-15 from three last year and is now 0-4 this year. You can tell when he gets the ball wide open behind the arc, he’s hesitant to pull the trigger. Grant really needs to either develop a low post presence to play PF at the next level(which may not be the best idea considering his size, but his athleticism could make up for it) or he needs to develop a reliable three point shot to keep defenses honest.

I would expect both Ennis and Grant to declare for the 2015 draft. I’m hoping they can both fix up the holes in their games and return to lead the team next year. With them likely leaving, Syracuse would likely add to recruits in the 2015 high school class to fill the whole they leave behind (I’m hoping for Derrick Jones and Thomas Bryant to pair along with Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon.) No matter what happens, the future is looking bright for the Cuse.

Moon River
    Participant

As a fan of the Orange I am glad to see he does not have Ennis in his top 20.  I love him as a prospect but think he is too high on this site.  I also selfishly want him to stay another year.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I would consider Marcus Smart at 2 or 3.  Best leader of all the top guys.  Best size for his position.   I think he and Embiid are the two guys who you could most likely build a contender around.

What is the rank between Embiid, Parker, Smart, Wiggins, and Randle?  Get back to me after the Final Four…

My ‘second tier’ guys are Rodney Hood, Aaron Gordon, Gary Harris, and possibly Wayne Selden (if he measures out well). 

I haven’t seen enough of Exum or LaVine to comment on them.  I would bet they would fall somewhere between the two different tiers. 

My third tier is something I call the Doug McDermott tier.  It is a tier made up of just Doug McDermott.  He has college superstar skills, but will they translate?  I think he could go anywhere from 8 to 25.  Shooters and floor spacers with decent size fit right in in today’s NBA.  In the mid-first round he would be a good value as a "poor man’s" Jabari Parker, with Jabari having the UPSIDE and POTENTIAL with Doug having the RESUME and POLISH.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I would consider Marcus Smart at 2 or 3.  Best leader of all the top guys.  Best size for his position.   I think he and Embiid are the two guys who you could most likely build a contender around.

What is the rank between Embiid, Parker, Smart, Wiggins, and Randle?  Get back to me after the Final Four…

My ‘second tier’ guys are Rodney Hood, Aaron Gordon, Gary Harris, and possibly Wayne Selden (if he measures out well). 

I haven’t seen enough of Exum or LaVine to comment on them.  I would bet they would fall somewhere between the two different tiers. 

My third tier is something I call the Doug McDermott tier.  It is a tier made up of just Doug McDermott.  He has college superstar skills, but will they translate?  I think he could go anywhere from 8 to 25.  Shooters and floor spacers with decent size fit right in in today’s NBA.  In the mid-first round he would be a good value as a "poor man’s" Jabari Parker, with Jabari having the UPSIDE and POTENTIAL with Doug having the RESUME and POLISH.

bullsdynasty92
    Participant

As much as I appreciate the talent and endless abilities of Aaron Gordon, his size and his unknown position in the Nba scare me. Positionless players typically don’t succeed in the Nba if you look at recent draft picks such as Anthony Bennett and Derrick Williams. These guys have immense talent but they have yet to achieve their potential. That being said, I would still draft Gordon but late in the lottery if I were a GM.

My top 5 picks in no particular order are as follows: Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, and Julius Randle. Part of me wants to push Randle out of the top 5 and include Exum, however, Exum is an unknown at this point. Randle is dominating in college as he should, but I’m not sure he will be able to bully his opponents as easily in the Nba. No doubt I like the intensity and pace he plays at, I’m just not sure he will be able to outmuscle his competition.

Its strange saying this but as of right now, Embiid has the highest ceiling in this draft over everybody including Wiggins. Embiid has shown in college that he has great post moves and great footwork and the defensive potential to anchor your defense. Wiggins I believe will eventually reach somewhat of his unlimited ceiling in the pros, but not immediately. Wiggins needs that "killer instinct" to win over his critics that he has yet to show in college. The last thing I am going to say is that after listening to Bill Simmons podcast, I think he is underrating this draft. If all goes to plan, this could be one of the best drafts the Nba has ever seen.

Foxdashman
      Participant

I was surprised to hear them saying anything negative about the draft class, because the only disparaging comment I had heard before was that Andrew Wiggins wasn’t living up to the hype. Even if Bill and Jalen are correct and there isn’t an other-worldly player like Durant or Lebron, I really feel like we’re going to be looking at the player’s from this class in 5 years as the torch bearers for the next generation of NBA all-stars and superstars. The depth isn’t just top-heavy either. When you start thinking that guys like Aaron Gordon (as mentioned above) could end up falling out of the lottery, it is really exciting to think of the impact this class could have. I’ve already requested June 27th off from work as a recovery day.

Foxdashman
      Participant

I was surprised to hear them saying anything negative about the draft class, because the only disparaging comment I had heard before was that Andrew Wiggins wasn’t living up to the hype. Even if Bill and Jalen are correct and there isn’t an other-worldly player like Durant or Lebron, I really feel like we’re going to be looking at the player’s from this class in 5 years as the torch bearers for the next generation of NBA all-stars and superstars. The depth isn’t just top-heavy either. When you start thinking that guys like Aaron Gordon (as mentioned above) could end up falling out of the lottery, it is really exciting to think of the impact this class could have. I’ve already requested June 27th off from work as a recovery day.

bullsdynasty92
    Participant

As much as I appreciate the talent and endless abilities of Aaron Gordon, his size and his unknown position in the Nba scare me. Positionless players typically don’t succeed in the Nba if you look at recent draft picks such as Anthony Bennett and Derrick Williams. These guys have immense talent but they have yet to achieve their potential. That being said, I would still draft Gordon but late in the lottery if I were a GM.

My top 5 picks in no particular order are as follows: Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, and Julius Randle. Part of me wants to push Randle out of the top 5 and include Exum, however, Exum is an unknown at this point. Randle is dominating in college as he should, but I’m not sure he will be able to bully his opponents as easily in the Nba. No doubt I like the intensity and pace he plays at, I’m just not sure he will be able to outmuscle his competition.

Its strange saying this but as of right now, Embiid has the highest ceiling in this draft over everybody including Wiggins. Embiid has shown in college that he has great post moves and great footwork and the defensive potential to anchor your defense. Wiggins I believe will eventually reach somewhat of his unlimited ceiling in the pros, but not immediately. Wiggins needs that "killer instinct" to win over his critics that he has yet to show in college. The last thing I am going to say is that after listening to Bill Simmons podcast, I think he is underrating this draft. If all goes to plan, this could be one of the best drafts the Nba has ever seen.

Lafferty Daniel
    Participant

Chad Ford mentioned why he is so high on Aaron Gordon in his chat yesterday.  Ford said that Gordon reminds him of Andrei Kirilenko.  This is the first time that I’ve heard that comp.  

"Love his energy, athleticism and toughness. He’s trying to make the transition from an undersized four man to a three and that’s still a work in progress. Reminds me a bit of Andrei Kirilenko."

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49772

Lafferty Daniel
    Participant

Chad Ford mentioned why he is so high on Aaron Gordon in his chat yesterday.  Ford said that Gordon reminds him of Andrei Kirilenko.  This is the first time that I’ve heard that comp.  

"Love his energy, athleticism and toughness. He’s trying to make the transition from an undersized four man to a three and that’s still a work in progress. Reminds me a bit of Andrei Kirilenko."

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49772

capecodder
    Participant

Have watched UCLA a few times….don’t undersatnd all the praise

capecodder
    Participant

Have watched UCLA a few times….don’t undersatnd all the praise

Bornaskul
    Participant

He is second or third in the mvp voting in ABA league (Balcan league) , and i believe he is also leading the league in rebounding (8,2) and he is a top 10 scorer with 14,6 ppg shooting almost 65% . . He is playing 31 mpg and yeah he is only 19 yo.

Bornaskul
    Participant

He is second or third in the mvp voting in ABA league (Balcan league) , and i believe he is also leading the league in rebounding (8,2) and he is a top 10 scorer with 14,6 ppg shooting almost 65% . . He is playing 31 mpg and yeah he is only 19 yo.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login