This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar omphalos 13 years ago.

• Author
    KingJames00
    Participant

What are this guys prospects moving forward into next year. Will we ever see the the guy that was on the Hornets or is what we saw this year what he really is. I know the system in Indiana is differnt than the one in NO, is that the sole reason fo the dip in his stats or is it more than that? What is realistic stats to expect for him next year??

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

In NO, Collison was one of the two main scorers when Paul was out. In IND, he takes a backseat to Granger. Also, NO’s offense is based on the PG running the pick-and-roll.  In IND, there is a lot more ball movement around the perimeter and it is less dependent on the PG.  The Pacers are also more half-court, limiting the use of Collison’s speed.

TweakyDave
    Participant

22Pts 5Reb 11Ast 2Stl

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

Get your points off to a good negative head start, noobie

JoeWolf1

Stat wise, I think he’ll play more minutes than he did this year.  T.J. Ford still played 50 or so games this year so that kinda cut into Darren’s playing time when he was with the team.

I don’t think he’ll score a lot in that system, but I think he’ll be a 14 ppg 7 apg type of player, not quite a star but better than average, similar to type of player Kirk Hinrich was in Chicago when he was starting, only with a little less defense.

TweakyDave
    Participant

look in teh mirrer granpa. collisen will feest nxt year.

KingJames00
    Participant

No way Dave is he goin to out up those numbers next year, get real! I do think he will play more mins and improve sligthley after a year in the system… I just think people expected more when he came over from NO. I’m thinking maybe 16ppg 8a 3rb is a generous guess….

sheltwon3
    Participant

You guys also have to look at the fact that sometime young players take a while to adjust to a new team.  New Orleans pretty much ran everything throught Chris Paul so even when he was out Collison got a lot more control than he is getting in Indiana but i am sure once he gets comfortable he should put up numbers closer to his first year.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

O’Brien was very old school and demanded alot from his point guards..When Collison made a mistake he would immediately take him out becuz he knew he had Ford & Price ..If he didnt have 2 quality pgs on the bench he would’ve allowed Collison time to go thru the growing pains of running a new team,plus he was worried about job security….Alot of the Pacers young players were happy to see O’Brien fired..Next year i expect Collison to average 15 to 19 points and around 8 assists..He doesnt have the court vision of CP3 or Nash ,but he can be an All Star….

omphalos
    Participant

I don’t think Collison is going to be an All-Star in the East. Rondo, Rose are always going to be better unless either suffers a serious injury, and you’ve got Jennings who admittedly had a down year, and some guy taken first overall in the last draft who is supposed to be pretty good.

People throw around "could be an All-Star" too much these days, remember when people were claiming Wes Matthews could be an All-Star?

Like Matthews, Collison will be an above average player at his position, but not someone who is going to make a huge impact in the wins column without the right talent around him.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

AlDridge should’ve been an all star.but he didnt make it becuz he has several talented forwards to compete against out west..But he can be an all star 1 day..Same thing about Collison,he has the talent to be an all star 1 day..but now he’s competing against Rose,Wade,Rondo,DWill and soon Wall..

omphalos
    Participant

Aldridge very much should have been an All-Star, that Kevin Love was selected over him was a joke. I get what you’re saying, that Aldridge is an All-Star calibre player even if he didn’t get selected, but I don’t see that from DC when I watch him play. I just think Collison is an above average starter, but not an All-Star.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

2 years ago would you had said Aldridge was an all star caliber player?

omphalos
    Participant

The season where he averaged 18 and 7 in his first year injury free in the League? Probably not that year, but the potential was certainly there. His length and skill-set set him apart, he was playing in Roy’s shadow and unsure of himself. I wouldn’t have called him an All-Star, but I’d have said he’d get there.

Collison doesn’t bring anything to the table that screams All-Star to me; people fell so in love with him because he was a rookie and performed a lot better than expected. However, he came into the league as a four year college player and his best attribute was his maturity and game-readiness, which other players in his class will pick up by his age. He hasn’t picked up his game this season for whatever reason, and while he can definitely run a contending team with in a secondary, or even tertiary role, I don’t think that makes him an All-Star, especially in this League, where the bar has been raised with amazing PG play. Honestly, I think he’s already nearly maxed out his potential and was lucky to get the opportunity in Indiana before people realised.

Like I said, he’s no scrub, and he will be a quality starter, but he’s not going to give anyone nightmares.

omphalos
    Participant

You know what, after the showing he’s giving tonight I’ll bump him up to borderline All-Star haha.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login