Current NBA Team Rankings
Here are my current rankings as of July 12th, 2010
1) Los Angeles Lakers
-No major losses, and the assumed addition of Ebanks and Caracter bring depth to the bench
2) San Antonio Spurs
-The best-coached team in the NBA continues to age and they lose Richard Jefferson but the addition of James Anderson and the ascention of George Hill are bright spots
3) Dallas Mavericks
-Dirk returning is huge, Beaubois is the future PG there, and they managed to lock up Haywood even though it was a wild over-payment
4) Oklahoma City Thunder
-Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Green, and Aldrich make up one of the best starting lineups in the west
5) Phoenix Suns
-Nash isn't getting any younger and the loss of Amare will sting more than people are anticipating
6) Denver Nuggets
-Their stock has dropped due to injuries to Birdman and Kenyon but dont expect Melo and company to roll over
7) Houston Rockets
-Yao returning and a very solid backcourt makes the Rockets an extremely formidable opponent
8) Portland TrailBlazers
-The Blazers have all the pieces to the puzzle but putting those pieces together seems to be the most difficult thing for them
9) Memphis Grizzlies
-I think this is the year Memphis makes a serious playoff push
10) Los Angeles Clippers
-New coach, Added depth, and a good mix of vets and promising youngsters make this squad to appear dangerous
11) New Orleans Hornets
-The Hornets have a nice backcourt and DX is always reliable but they aren't getting a whole lot from their 3 and 5 spots
12) Utah Jazz
-The loss of Boozer absolutely hurts and losing Wes Matthews isnt a positive thing... the Jazz simply aren't going to get much scoring from their wings and their bench has weakened
13) Golden State Warriors
-The Warriors have a couple good building blocks with Lee and Curry but coach Don Nelson will have them running that out of control offense again that hasn't been a success
14) Sacramento Kings
-The Kings may climb this list but right now they are just too inexperienced and in an unfortunate spot in the deep western conference
15) Minnesota Timberwolves
-The T'Wolves added some nice young pieces but lack the firepower to compete seriously
1) Miami Heat
-The Heat have 2 of the top 3 player in the entire NBA on their roster and also an all-star power forward
2) Orlando Magic
-If rumors prove to be true and the Magic add Al Harrington, expect them to rise to the top over the Heat
3) Boston Celtics
-Perkins being out isn't a good thing and the big 3 are all getting older...expect Rondo to reach superstar status this season however
4) Chicago Bulls
-The Bulls could easily be the best team in the Eastern Conference come December but right now they are slightly unrpoven and their wings aren't the best of defenders
5) Atlanta Hawks
-Atlanta grossly overpaid Joe Johnson but they feel they can make a push with their current roster
6) Milwaukee Bucks
-The Bucks have gotten a lot better after re-upping Salmons and adding CDR and Maggette and Gooden
7) New York Knicks
-This may be a surprise to see them here but the Knicks actually had a good summer bringing in STAT, felton, randolph, azubuike, turiaf, and Mozgov
8) Toronto Raptors
-Bosh's exit will burn for a little bit but the Raptors adding Diaw, Chandler, and Kleiza makes them one of the more athletic squads in the East
9) Philadelphia 76ers
-The sixers have a lot of potential and Doug Collins could lead them to the playoffs but they are infamous underachievers
10) Charlotte Bobcats
-The Bobcats losing Felton, Diaw, and Chandler make them on the outside of the playoff bubble looking in
11) Indiana Pacers
-The addition of Born Ready and George should bring some much needed offensive weaponry to a bad offensive team
12) Detroit Pistons
-The Pistons have a lot of young forwards with high ceilings but they probably need to move their veterans (Hamilton/Prince) if they want to develop their younger guys
13) Washington Wizards
-John Wall helps but no Josh Howard, Mike Miller, or Randy Foye has me questioning where this team will get their points from
14) New Jersey Nets
-The Nets have a good chance at bettering their record but they didn't do enough this offseason to become contenders
15) Cleveland Cavaliers
-The Cavs have nothing now but Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison, there's no way this team sniffs the playoffs this season
what do you guys think?
I would rank Milwaukee over Atlanta.
I love NY at 7.
8th? Are you freaking kidding me?
If healthy, give me ONE reason why they should be under 3rd for your rankings?
I know losing Boozer hurts, but I just can't see Sloan, Deron Williams and the Jazz finishing 12th...
I also think 3rd is a little too high for the Celtics. They're old and will probably try to rest players over the season. I can't see them finishing above Chicago, Atlanta and maybe even Milwaukee.
That Milwaukee team is gonna do some serious damage next year. They have excellent depth, but they still have to worry about Luke Ridnour leaving them.
Yes, I agree Gregoden08
The Blazers IMO are 2nd in the West.
The only reason the Blazers have had difficulty "putting things together" is because they haven't been able to stay healthy. If Roy and Oden somehow manage to both play 70+ healthy games, then they can easily win 50+ games.
Really...How would they get worse? They were injured all season and still finished well. Their my 2nd team also knicksboy.
Portland have the overall depth to push LA in a 7 game series IMO
Personally I would switch Houston and Phoenix...IMO the Rockets are a very dangerous team...with or without Yao Ming.
How are the raptors going to make the playoffs they will be worse then the Cavs the Cavs team is still decent but just not playoff caliber
I don't think the Cavs are the worst team in the East.
I think you got the west wrong,spurs too high,suns miss playoffs blazers are top5,thunder maybe 2 or 3, denver 2-4jazz is still a playoff team with jerry sloan coaching & d.will at pg they wil be a 5-7 seed, the east switch sixers & toranto, & the cavs will not make the playoffs but will not be worst team in nba.
IMO the west goes like this:
1. Lakers-still number 1 unfortunately
2. Thunder- They were only 7 GB from the lakers last year, and this year should be MUCH improved
3.Blazers-Last year finished 6th while being very injured-should put it all together this year and be a success
4. Mavs-should put up a fight once again
5. Nuggets-" "
6. Spurs- This should be their last year
7. Rockets-Good young improving players(like brooks), and Yao coming back
8. Clippers-Have enough talent and now have a motor+worker in Griffin-should finally make the playoffs
This was real hard, as you dont know which young team is gonna improve by how much, and you dont know which old team is gonna decrease by how much...makes it harder that you wont know the final standings until the last day of the league as for the past 3-4 years everyone from 2-8(even -10) is pretty much tied
It almost hurts to see Cleveland there.
1. LAL- For obvious reasons
2. OKC - Call me crazy, but KD will get MVP and Ibaka will become a big time player. The team will meet up with LA again in the WCF
3. POR - They were beastly w/o Roy and Oden. Imagine what these guys do healthy
4. DAL - There stacked, and if the get big Al he helps them even more
5. HOU - If Yao is healthy they will be great once again since Scola and Brooks showed they can step up big time now
6. DEN - I'm iffy on them, they don't have much deph but they have a great lineup still
7. SA - There old, and I think trading TP would be a huge mistake
8. UTA - Dwill will carry them, Millsap should be good to go and I think that AK47 will return healthy and ready to go
9. MEM - There starting to get deep, and bringing Gay back was huge but iono if OJ can be a PG
10. SAC - Not just cause of Reke but cause of Thomp, Cuz, Whiteside, Sammy D, Landry and Brockman. Thats lots of bigs
11. PHX - Stat will kill them, he was there only inside scorer and Hedo won't help that much IMO
12. GSW - Curry,Ellis and Lee are all all star quality players but there really injury prone (not just them the whole team). If Biedrins can get healthy and Dorell Wright can break out they will surprise but if not there screwed
13. LAC - B didy has never been a good fit there so why would he be better this year? Bledsoe isn't ready to go either. There only hopes IMO are Griff,Kaman and Jordan
14. Nola - I have a awful feeling about this team. The lack of wing and up front deph and a potentially pissed Paul. This will be ugly
15. Minny - There not going to get much back for Jeff and they dont have any 2's and Flynn is a role player and doesnt fit with the triangle. There pinning there year on Love and DARKO.DARKO.
1. MIA - They got Haslem back and Mike Miller along with the best big 3 ever. Desean Butler was a 1st rounder b4 he got hurt so he will be good there and Chalmers will have much less pressure
2. ORL - Even if they lose Barnes I still think VC and Dwight will get it done
3. BOS - No Sheed will suck, O'neal is only half of what he used to be as well
4. CHI - There deep and got 2 great shooters and Booz to go with Rose, there set at a title run (maybe?)
5. ATL - Wont contend for a title but will again be good
6. NY - Randolph and Amare and Felton will step up big an all beast.
7. MIL - Im not as high on them as everyone else but they will be good
8. WAS - Wall , Arenas, Blatch and McGee. End of story
9. PHI - Good talent but ET cant play off the ball, at some point Iggy will be moved this year or next
10. Cats - Good wings but have 0 centers
11. Indy - Steph ,PG and Granger will all be beasts but what else do they have?
12. - TOR - Worst defensive team in the NBA and no CB4? Oh boy....
13. DET - There just meh all round
14. Cavs - Mo, Tawn and JJ are pretty good but they will suck, Harrison Barnes!
15. NJ - They were the biggest losers this offseason. Morrow ,TWill, Harris and Lopez make a decent core but there just not going to be very good. Favors will go through his ups and downs, I think in 2 years he will be an all star but for now it will be rocky
Both of these teams are two low. Injuries will determine how far they go. but healthy they are both Locks for top 4 in their respective conferences.
Also i feel like the spurs are a wing or two short from being truly elite. Assuming Splitter is as good as promised
BTW portland is probably the deepest team in the L if Utah doesn't match on mathews. they could lose a starting 5 for the year right now and still make playoffs in the east. Not even LA could do that.
Team 1 PG Bayless SG roy SF batum PF aldridge C oden
Team 2 PG Miller SG mathews SF Babbit PF Camby C Prisbillia
Team 3 PG Mills SG (rookie) SF fernandez PF cunningham C pendergraph
I appreciate you giving the wizards some love they will be better than the pacers, bobcats, 76ers, Pistons, Nets
the Thunder are too high too much youth on that team Dencer and Portland should be higher and memphis and Clippers are very underrated just unfortunate enough to play in the west the pistons should be better and wizards depend on how gilbert returns and philadephia is way to high and the orlando will be better then the heat without a doubt
i agree thunder too high. denver is better then the thunder. i think too may people are making too big of a deal of how they did against the lakers. they dont seem to realize that even before the series everyone knew that young running team was a bad match up for the lakers. yes they will be better next year but i dont see them better then denver or dallas houston spurs or portland
but I feel that OKC will have a better head-to-head record against dallas, san antonio, and houston... not too sure about portland and denver though
ok crazy...lol..but seriously its possible but those teams are better then okc. just like okc they will be a year better since its not like they are extremley old
looking at my rankings above, i still think overall the west is better then the east. The east might have 3 of the top 4 teams but there is still more depth in the west. Grizz, hornets, jazz and maybe even clippers could make the playoffs in the east ahead of sixers, bucks and knicks
you see the spurs dropping off that bad?...with duncan a offseason to heal as well as manu and parker?
I think spurs will be right about as good as last year, maybe a little better, but other teams in the west are improving as well and i only dropped the spurs one spot. Duncan is not a guy who can carry them nightly any more.
The rankings for the west need a little bit of a shaking up. Jump Denver to at 3 as Birdman/Kenyan Martin injuries are an annual thing and move Portland much higher to 4 or 5. If these are regular season rankings, I think it's safe to say the Mavs could be #2 but a shoddy playoff record puts them lower than their talent.
Bobcats are probably still a playoff team when you consider the amount of teams that have 0 chance of making the playoffs this year. Toronto might easily be the worst team in the league with the Cavs fighting it out for the honor. The Wizards have some talent but don't have a good enough front court to push for a playoff spot this year (Blatche is a better fantasy player than actual one). The 76ers and Pistons both have the lineups to potentially get the 7th or 8th seed but something is just off (well they both have over payed, under performing veterans but same thing).
There is a soft spot for my hometown team in Indy, but realistically unless Stephenson just tears it up, this team is probably not going anywhere.
It honestly would not surprise me to see exact same playoff teams with the obvious exception of the Cavs dropping out and either the 76ers, Pistons or Knicks fighting for the last spot.
1. Lakers - Easy Pick, I think they improved their roster. Steve Blake fits perfectly. And the 2nd rounders semm to be quiet solid, too.
2. Mavs - Still a good Line-up, although they're old as hell. I give them one, maybe two years for a title run, before something drastically has to happen.
3. Blazers - Great team, deep with solid role players.
4. Rockets - Same with the Rockets, they're really deep and have some great talent behind.
I think 2-4 are really close, but I put the Mavs on top, because the Blazers and the Rockets were really troubled with injuries. You never know if they stay healthy.
5. OKC - I think they have a good shot to get home court advantage. And they seem to have a 5 now.
6. Nuggets - They have a good team, but if injuries keep troubling and they fail to get some good role players, then they might miss the playoffs.
7. Spurs - Duncan will probably rest alot, they might drop even further, but they'll make the playoffs.
8. Grizzlies - I think they will make the playoffs. They finally got some on-ball D of the bench. And with Conley who probably is something like a 6th man, they're bench drastically improves. Mayo as a PG is perfect, he is a good passer imo, but he needs to use that ability and I think it'll take him some time.
9. Clippers - I think Baron Davis will have a good year and the Clippers will have 41+ wins. If the teams below fail to get some improvement they might make it.
10. Jazz - If they don't get some back-ups they'll fail. I feel especially sorry for D-Will, who finally got some credit making his first All-star game. I think it might not happen again this year.
11. Hornets - If Paul stays healthy they might make it. But I think they will fail, because they have to many bull&$#%#&@! contracts and don't want to go over the cap.
12. Suns - Poor Steve Nash. I really like him but the Suns team really sucks. To me it looks like a team full of role players.
13. GSW - David Lee is good if you don't play him as a center. How could they let Morrow go???
14. Kings - They have a future. But it's way to early.
15. Minnesota - No comment. They have some young talent. I don't get how they couldn't pick Cousins. It's so much easier in this league to get wing scoring than a good center. Doesn't make sense to me.
1. Heat - It'll be close between the Heat and Orlano.
2. Magic - Easy Pick.
3. Hawks - YAY!! They kept JJ. And they will get home court advantage. They will still fail against the Magic or the Heat. Or the Celtics. Might be close against the wolves, if they get a PG to defend D.Rose.
4. Bulls - They will get Home Court because the Celtics will have injury problems and rest guys during the reg. season.
5. Celitcs - If everyone is healthy for the playoffs, they have a real good chance against the Heat, because of match-ups.
6. Bucks - They might get even higher if they Redd can contribuite or if they trade Redd for someone who could.
7. Sixers - Play three ball-handlers at the same time??? My advice: Bring Turner of the bench as a 6th man and good stuff will happen. Or trade Iggy. If they solve that problem, they'll make the playoffs.
8. Knicks - Felton could average close to 9 assists I hope. Great pick up. I think they'll make the playoffs.
9. Cavs - They won't be last that is for sure. They have a solid team let's see who they'll get. If they don't get anyone, they might miss the playoffs.
10. Pistons - I think they will get 41+ wins. Prince is still a very good player. And Ben Wallace 2mil a year???? Are you kidding me? First player with Haslem who might get really underpaid.
11. Pacers - Finally some good rookies. Lets see how they develop, but it is to early this year.
12. Bobcats - They will drop, if they decide to stay under the cap. No idea why they didn't keep Felton. If Chandler plays well, they might get 41+ wins. But I think it won't be enough to make the Playoffs.
13. Wizards - I think Wall will have a similar first season like Rose. And Javale McGee could finally become a Starter or atleast play 20+ min. And they still have Blatche and the wildcard Arenas. Some nice pieces but it won't be enough for 30 wins.
14. Nets - They improved but they didn't land a good enough FA to lift them over 30 Wins.
15. Raptors - They suck. Why do they keep signing PFs??? Do they really want to play Andrea Bargnani as a C?. Bargnani might average 23+ points a game though, but that won't be enough. Seriously... They will fail to get 30 wins.