After 10 hours, 8ish beers, 4 tournament games and 3 Jack and Cokes...
I attened all the games held at the Sprint Center in Kansas City yesterday. It was a real long day but a lot of fun and I wanted to share some thoughts:
Wisconsin vs Ole Miss
-Henderson is an enigma man. My buddy who goes to Ole Miss texted me "he will start drainin' in the second half, its amazing" and sure enough. He has some massive cajones, I'll give him that.
- However, Ole Miss's athleticism and especially defense won that game. That was very surprising to me.
- I didn't know Kennedy was still the coach. Didn't he beat up a cab driver? If that had happened in recent years, he for sure gets fired.
-Sam Dekker will be a 1st round pick when he comes out.
- Wisconsin played very uncharacteristically from the numerous times I've seen them this year. Not very good defensively, real bad on the boards. They unraveled at the end and just jacked a bunch of 3's when they smart play would have been to attack, foul and wait until you HAD to shoot a 3.
Kansas St vs Lasalle
- I for sure won't win the bracket challenge MikeyV set up but I did pick Lasalle in this game, so that's something...
- This was an ugly ugly game. The end was pretty exciting though.
- Garland did nothing. He needs to step up tomorrow.
- I saw Galloway brick a bunch of shots at the half and thought Lasalle might be in trouble. The pro KState crowd had a big impact on the game and I think really intimidated the Explorers.
- Not sure about Henriquez and his pro prospects but he did all be could in this game. Well, besides miss that shot in the last minute but the ball should have been in McGruders hands anyway. Well done Bruce Weber.
- Speaking of Bruce, he sure does a good job with other coaches players huh?
UNC vs Villanova
- Hairston is butt ugly but that dude can play. I'd say he's a 1st rounder now with chance to be higher next year
- it's funny to look back and think that Strickland was considered a legit prospect on this site and in general. That kid is pretty awful.
- Paige looked good but I'm not sure about his pro potential either. McAdoo is even harder to read. I'll see one play and think he can be good in the league and then the next, I see a career cheerleader.
- Yarou is still in college? Didn't he play with Lowry, Nardi and Allen Ray? Just kiddin but him and Pinkston were a load and exposed Carolina's obvious weakness. KU would be well served pounding the ball to Withey, Yound and Ellis.
- Arcidiacono is fun to watch. He will be the anchor foe Villanova badketball going forward.
Kansas vs Western Kentucky
- as with anyone reading this post, at this point, I was done. I wanted KU to blow it out so I could go home at halftime and go to sleep but nooooo! I don't have an amazing memory of the game, as I was getting progressively more intoxicated but I saw enough
- Kansas will not make it as far as they did last year for the simple fact that Elijah Johnson is their "PG". When you're a worse decision maker than Tyshawn and can't even score like him, you got problems.
- the Hilltoppers were more solid than made out to be. Their bigs could stretch the floor and you have to give them credit for capitalizing on the poor play of Kansas
- McLemore and Releford were basically irrelevant. That can't happen again.
- I hate KU fans
- I would take Jeff Withey over Plumlee, WCS and maybe Olynyk. He is Omer Asik 2.0 and blocks shots better than anyone I've seen in person (that list includes Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bynum and Joakim Noah).
That's all. Hope you enjoyed
As much as I did. Good stuff, dude, sounds like you had a blast. Do not really agree with the Jeff Withey thing, but you made some solid observations and it is awesome you lasted though all of those games in that state, lol. Plus, am impressed with your choice of LaSalle over Kansas State, thought about it but did not follow through. Well, either way, good post and thanks for joining the group. Going to the 3rd round tomorrow?
Haha thanks man. Yeah i'm going tomorrow, if this is well received i'll chime in again. Yeah I may have been biased but Withey was super impressive to me yesterday.
you were biased with who you would pick him over, but your comparison was just he does seem like an omer asik where he will get 10 to 12 points and 10 to 12 rebounds and be an average starting center.
Hope you do another one. I have been sick the past two days and have not been drinking during the whole tournament, hoping I can maybe share a few beers with you in spirit during tomorrow's action. Both games should be excellent, plus I am guessing you get a lot more for each one since you will not have the extra 4-5 hours 4 games brought. Well done again, fun report of tournament awesomeness.
Drink some cognac to knock the cold out of you!
I work downtown, so I skipped out early and watched the games at McFadden's ( accross the street from Sprint Center ) and the energy was great. I was gonna go to the open practices on Thurs, but my beverage intake sounds about like yours and I stayed put. Hope you're enjoying KC.
You drink more than my friend Jimmys mom on Fridays
is it me or have the tournament games been bad so far? michigan and michigan state just trampled their opponents. right now louisville is destroying colorado state. maybe harvard can give arizona a game? this is the field of thirty two now, and it seems less exciting as the first round games so far. i get a feelling the games coming up later will be much more competitive.
Yeah man, i live in KC so I know what's up haha. I went to Dukes before the game and there was a lot of buzz and then went to some shady ass sports bar a half a mile out so I didnt have to pay $7 a beer during the intermission. It was cool though, nice people and good basketball conversation
I'm not understanding that one sentence. Sorry haha. If you mean beer intake, well the sprint center doesnt sell alcohol soooo, there will be a pint in my pocket ha!
We have to party together.. Basketball, beer, and the only thing I drink anymore other than beer, Jack and Coke..