This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar whiteflash 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Spencer Dinwiddie won the skills competition which Im happy about but Im not happy about these commercials. Is this the superbowl? Im trying to cook a nice surf and turf meal to be ready for the dunk competition and I literally make it back in time to see who won each round and miss all the action.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Lowry’s gonna win the 3 point contest. Runner up Ellington. 

Smith for the dunk contest.

LOFTY
      Participant

Your first mistake was Voting against Mitchell!

BasterdInABasket
    Participant

What a waste of 40 minutes for 5 minutes of undramatic competition.

And Lou Williams in the skills competition but not the 3pt contest??

whiteflash
    Participant

These are the worst judges EVER. Smith does an against the grain 360 btl and gets a 50 and then Nance and Mitchell do basicdunks and also vet 50’s. Ridiculous. 

holefillers1
    Participant

You know its a bad dunk contest when they keep showing dunks from people not in the dunk contest.  This was the second worst contest behind the open run contest they had a handful of years ago.

whiteflash
      Participant

This was up there with that dumba$$ dunk wheel. Smith had the two best dunks of the night and doesn’t even make it out of the first round!? 

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Larry nance’s dunks in the finals were better. He got hosed. Stop with the celebrity judges.

properbreaks
      Participant

Mitchell is a good dunker and all, but I felt like Nance had the more creative dunks. That last dunk that Mitchell did was a dunk we see people do in warm ups just playing around. I don’t see how he got any tens for that.

CoachWyers
    Participant

3pt contest was weak except for Booker catching fire in the finals, most of the guys underachieved.  Dunk contest was pretty weak too.  Mitchell did have the best collection of dunks in a whole, although Nance’s dunk was better in the finals (he did  too many similar dunks earlier though with differnt variations of windmills) and Smith had the best dunk of the night.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Dunk contest needs 6-8 participants. I dont think Ive ever seen a player get injured during this contest if thats the reason they keep it at 4. If its air time Im sure everyone would more than make thier money back. They spend all this time prepping and talking nonsense just to have 2 rounds of safe dunks. Put more people in the NBA is full of athletisism.

SlickBouncePass
    Participant

was just laughing the entire time at Nance and Mitchell…two boring dunkers.

Clearly Dennis Smith is the most exciting dunker, but overall the night sucked.  

The Main reason it sucked to me, was because of this "players only" takeover.  Those guys are not funny, Chris Webber has diarrhea of the mouth, and Dennis Scott nobody finds you getting reactions to "players only" funny.

The funny people are Barkley Smith and Reggie Miller (not surrounded by the players only whack crew), when they start ragging on players for being underwhelming.

Its almost like Reggie Miller making fun of Dinwiddie and the Nets was inappropriate because "brothers gotta stick together…playaz gotta stick together".  

Its so corny,,,its okay to take jabs at people…the world ain’t gonna end. 

Players only sucks.

The Goat
    Participant

The way they set that up for Mitchell shows me the Rookie of the Year award will probably be his too. It’s all marketing. Don’t get me wrong, he’s played very well, but i think Simmons is in front. They’re just building Mitchell’s profile while they tear down Ben for being surly, complaining about the ASG and being Australian (even though he’s a dual citizen). Makes it all easier to give him the award.

Ahkasi Clay
      Participant

Yes the power of Salt Lake City media must be feared!

The Goat
        Participant

The NBA is pushing Mitchell’s barrow and marketing him to the world.. evidenced by giving him the dunk trophy over Nance. 

whiteflash
      Participant

Don’t know about all of the Simmons conspiracy stuff, but they are certainly promoting the sh!+ outta Mitchell. Not a bad thing. Good kid, great year, bright future, etc… but there definitely seems to be lopsided favoritism going his way.

jazzmailman
    Participant

jazz fan here… i’ll try to be more unbiased.

i really dont care if Mitchell gets ROY or not, since it’s not really a testimony of anything.

But the way Mitchell has stepped in and took control of this veteran Jazz team, it’s unrivaled. You see all the stats about him scoring 2 40+ points and matching MJ…etc, but it’s the way he came in and really established himself. He loves the game and you can really see it, and that’s really important cuz it motivates him to work harder and be better. He has almost Westbrook like passion for the game and winning.

Throughout this season, Snyder put Mitchell as the main ball handler in the 4th quarter. Mitchell made a lot of silly mistakes early on (especially during the 1-2 min mark that cost us the game), but he has been making much better decisions lately during the winning streak. That’s part of letting him grow up and i’ll all for it.

Think about it, you are a rookie coming in. You have no clue how fast NBA players are going to react. Oh, CP3 is a super dirty player. Oh, Raymond Felton is actually deceptively faster than he looks. He’s basically learning on the job and rapidly improving. Simmons had the whole season to watch and anticipate and train with NBA trainers. Mitchell is learning it game by game.

Simmons is an amazing talent. LeBron agrees that’s why he trains him personally during the summer. Mitchell is also an amazing talent. CP3 found that out last summer and specifically asked to train him. But i think what separately Simmons and Mitchell is that he came into a veteran Jazz team and earned their respect. He’s the alpha dog and the difference maker and the catalyst behind the 11 game winning streak. That’s why i think he deserves the ROY.

Ahkasi Clay
      Participant

The fact you used testimony istead of testamant proves you are a Jazz Fan!!!

The Goat
      Participant

Mitchell disappeared in a lot of those games in the streak, check the numbers

jazzmailman
        Participant

I did check the numbers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mitchdo01/gamelog/2018

Mitchell was on sick on 2/3 which is why he didn’t play. He had a terrible game on 2/5 vs NOP when he was recovering from his illness.

twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/959959248083013632

twitter.com/E_Woodyard/status/960283243068248065

The last four games Rubio was hurt (starting mid-game 2/9 vs Chicago), so Mitchell’s FG% went down as he is pretty much Jazz’s only shot creator and teams can focus on guarding him. His shot selection isn’t great, but it’s getting better. Like i said, it takes time to really figure out what your opponent can do and how fast they react.

Mitchell typically go into 4th quarter with 6/18 ish FG, and then score 8-10 points on 4/6 shooting in the 4th. He made a lot of mistakes down the stretch earlier in the season – a lot of tip passes and trying to make bullet passes to Gobert and Favors. He doesn’t make those mistakes down the stretch anymore because he is starting to understand what works and what doesn’t, and that really comes with more experience and confidence.

holefillers1
      Participant

And the winning streak Utah is on coincided with the return of Rudy Gobert.

Mr. 19134
      Participant

You’re forgetting tho that it is a Jazz team full of veterans, structure and a coach proven to be able to coach a winning team.

The Sixers had none of this, Simmons can in and started at PG from day 1 and gave the team structure and is actually proven his coach knows what he’s doing.  

Also Simmons defense is underrated and even better then Mitchells.  Simmons can guard all 5 positions which is why he’s has the best rookie defensive rating and leads in steals and blocks.

SubZero
    Participant

I have so many issues with the dunk contest. How are the judges always so terrible? They’re always way too quick to give perfect scores so when someone does something better, they can’t get a higher score than the one that they clearly topped (which is why Aaron Gordon lost). Donovan did a dunk we see people doing on a regular basis and got a 48 on it when it was worse than the actual dunk he copied and I would say was definitely worse than the dunk DSJ got a 41 on. Plus the way he went up to the judges and was showing the Vince jersey like that should give him points was wack. If that’s all you have to do now, someone should just copy the most iconic dunks each time and wear that person’s jersey cause that’s the only way he won

Don’t get me wrong, I like Donovan as a player a lot, but I don’t see how you can give say he won after doing a bootleg version of an old dunk and jumping over 3 kneeling 7 year olds

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Nance Jr. had the second best baseline-cradle-windmill tomahawk half turn slam dunk of the day — just behind Mo Bamba.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I think the contest needs more guys, too.

If you had 8 you could go with four perimeter guys and 4 front court guys. Two dunks in the first round. Then a top four. Two more dunks.   Best of 3 finals. Or, 3 dunks in the finals with the highest total score.  

So each guy in the finals gives us 7 dunks. A little bit of everything.  I like versatile dunkers who can do some power stuff, some of the glass dunks, a 360, and a broad jump type dunk.  

I HATE watching: bounce ball, brick dunk. Bounce ball, dunk. Bounce ball, midgets, redo takeoff, dunk. Bounce ball, brick, bounce ball, brick, dunk.

Either add more guys, do the thing on an 11 foot goal, or move the dunk contest to Friday night, and go with a Legends Game on Saturday night.  

The dunk show is not really even a contest. In the last round one of the guys was still cold — still trying to warm up, hadn’t even broken a sweat/gotten his second wind yet.  Turn it back into a CONTEST. The game 7 of dunks!

holefillers1
    Participant

LeBron, please do not injury Joel Embiid with senseless over the back fouls.

Joel, please sit this one out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login