This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Anton123 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    BallerScript
    Participant

Early on I have a few comparisons for some of the 2018 prospects. Feel free to add your comparisons below.

Jarred Vanderbilt – Draymond Green: Incredibily versatile player… I’m really looking forward to him at Kentucky.

Troy Brown – Evan Turner: He is a bit slower than Turner but they have very similar playstyles and skill sets… Brown is underrated as of now.

Dzanan Musa – J.J. Reddick: I think that Musa IF he reached his full potential can be an impact player like Reddick but I don’t know if he will reach his potential so it is likely he is just a role player rather than an elite shooter like Reddick.

Hamidou Diallo – DeMar DeRozan: Diallo has all the tools and the playstyle to become DeRozan but I don’t know if he will reach his potential. The hope is he does become more polished like DeRozan but realistically this may not happen.

Chammes
    Participant

i agree on the Troy brown one all tho I think he can be a little bit better than turner. Musa is bigger than Redick and more athletic, I think musa is a poor mans Gordon Hayward. Dialogue played well in u19 and I think he can be a top 10 pick, his jumper is off and on though. Vanderbilt is no where near the defender as dray, I see the idea because they’re point forwards but JV is more Odom then Draymond.

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

Michael Porter Jr- Grant Hill

Mo Bamba- Michael Olowokandi

wonzi_bells
      Participant

He’s doesn’t have the vision that Grant had, offensive he scores more like Kawhi. He’s like a Kawhi/Rudy Gay hybrid is the best I can describe him.

Chammes
        Participant

Isn’t that Paul George?

Chewy
    Participant

Literally had never heard that name before this post. Just spent 30 mins on YouTube watching highlights. This is why I love this site. Your hear about real basketball instead of ESPN inverviewing LaVarr Ball for the 67th time.

brodiejay
      Participant

Musa has been really dominant in junior international competition over the years, but there’s one thing I really struggle to get past whenever I watch him- his posture/body composition.

I don’t mean to sound like a hater, (more just interested in what it could mean going forward) … but his neck and shoulders are really hunched. It doesn’t seem to affect his play at this stage, but I just don’t remember seeing any NBA player with that kind of hunch through the neck and shoulders. It may not affect his play whatsoever, but a quick Google search leads me to believe it’s spinal kyphosis. Seems like there can be many causes of kyphosis. Many causes are concerning and degenerative but other causes aren’t. Does anyone more knowledgeable than me know more about this in terms of long-term effects?

HeroescantdieHeroescantdie
    Heroescantdie
    Participant

Gran hill is a point forward who handles the ball well, porter on the other hand is not that good at handling the ball, he needs to tighten up his handle, KD back then was more advance ball handler than porter, altough porter’s athletiscism is on par with grant hill

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I don’t trust YouTube highlights of high school kids and overseas players.

I will wait until college basketball season starts to make some solid comps.

I am looking forward to Bamba and Ayton and it will be interesting to see how these guys do against real teams.

I wonder how much the center position matters now, especially if they lack perimeter skills.  

Ayton’s comparison is David Robinson.  If he is THAT good then teams are gonna tank hard for him (with Porter, Jr. and Bamba as consolation prizes).  

Can’t think exactly of a good comparison for Ayton.  Who would a poor man’s David Robinson be?  For one, that would mean a guy who is SUPER athletic…

I am gonna compare Ayton to Andray Blatche. Might have seen this comparison some where else…  so, I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised.

Bamba? Who knows?  Marcus Camby (as this site suggests)?  Would be a good pick… especially for the Celtics with that Nets pick.

Miles Bridges: has some Charles Barkley in him.  If I can get him at 5 or 6 then I am having a pretty good draft.

Grayson Allen: OJ Mayo.  Big time name.  Not exactly a big time GAME.  Meh size, solid athlete, can handle some, shoot some, drive some, mostly an undersized 2, but if he is an emergency point guard option you are ok.  OJ Mayo had gator arms.  I wana say that Grayson Allen has similar length (or lack thereof).  Can hit the 3, but more of a streak shooter, than a PURE shooter.  Can shoot you IN and OUT of games, maybe even the same game.  Projects better as a 6th man type.  Anywhere after 15 should be ok for him.  Looks like a possible second round steal if he gets his head on straight and goes to the right team.  I can see Grayson Allen having a pretty good summer league, with some nice highlights, an overperforming rookie year, then a solid 2nd year, and basically flat lining from there.  Close to a finished product…

Chris Chioza (Florida): Great speed, good handles, hit a HUGE clutch shot in the tourney… there will be point guards drafted who are worse than him.  Good be a good candidate for a 3rd string point guard/2 way D League guy.  

Johnathan Williams: Can I compare this guy to a guy from the same hometown with the same last name?  Sure, why not?  I can see some Sean Williams in Johnathan Williams although Johnathan Williams is better well known as a stretch 4 kind of guy.  

LaGerald Vick: Gonna say a cross between two other Geralds: Gerald Glass and Gerald Wilkins.  
    "upside guy".  At times, looked like a better prospect than Josh Jackson…  He could be the classic upside/downside guy in this draft.  He could be a guy who ends up in the top 10 — or a guy who doesn’t get drafted.  Intensity/talent wise: More athletic Vernon Maxwell.

DeAndre Ayton: Watching a few highlights: Robert Parish.

Mohammed Bamba: Watching a couple of minutes of highlights: HE actually reminds me more of David Robinson.

Anton123
    Participant

Dzanan Musa is a legit 6’9” though, an oversized SF, he might develop into Reddick in terms of impact, but as players they are very different. Musa is better at creating with the ball in his hands, but worse as a spotup shooter.

Apparantly Musa has been getting a lot better in all his weaknesses, especially in terms of defense. He’ll have a bigger role with his club this year and we may have more of a chance to see him play, perhaps his posture will improve too now that his growth is slowing down.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login