This topic contains 23 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar sheltwon3 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Bankroll PJ
    Participant

Magic and Pelinka are delivering early! As a Lakers fan I’m super excited about this upcoming season now.  KCP is an underrated two-way player that should fit in well with the Lakers.  This roster has rounded out very well and although it may not translate into many wins just yet, the Lakers will be very entertaining to watch (for my fellow Lakers fans at least).  It seems like this is the first time in a while the Lakers are 2 deep at every position with legit NBA players and not just borderline guys.  

The Lakers won 26 games last year and I see about a 10 win improvement, but I think the goal should be 40 wins or the 8th seed.  The 8th seed, however, will be an extremely difficult task. Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, and the Thunder are all clearly better than the Lakers right now, and the Grizzlies, Clippers, Trail Blazers, Timberwolves and Nuggets all have veteran teams with two all-stars (if you unofficially include Jokic and KAT).  That’s 9 teams that I think are better than the Lakers right now, but I’m a very patient and conservative guy. 

Should the Lakers and fans expect better than a 10th seed?  Would love to hear from other fans, non-fans, and haters. 

SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

The top 8 in the west looks like this for me:

1. Warriors

2. Rockets

3. Spurs

4. Thunder

5. Timberwolves

6.  Blazers

7. Pelicans

8. Clippers… that 8 seed could be but for grabs for a lot of teams with Griffins injury history. A lot of teams in the west got better but a l sever playoff teams in the west took some steps back. 

Matos
    Participant

I don’t think the Lakers get in. And I think the Clippers do a lot better than expected. Their expectations are not as high and I think the addition of Gallinari (best wing they’ve had in a while) allows them to end up better than expected.

1. Warriors
    2. Rockets
    3. Spurs
    4. Thunder
    5. Wolves
    6. Clippers
    7. Nuggets
    8. Blazers

Pels are my team that falls out.

SlickBouncePass
      Participant

Pels don’t have a chance of making the playoffs.  You’re a Sixers fan:  see Jah + Embiid on the floor together.

Anthony Davis wants to be a PF because he can’t handle the strength and banging of the NBA.  Yet he is clearly a midrange player.  He’s neither comfortable in the post nor outside shooting 3s.  He’s a classic tweener, sorry, he’s not strong or explosive enough now that he has grown in this NBA.  

Gallinari is another "HUH?".  What on earth makes you think Gallinari and barely ever healthy Blake Griffin translates to a playoff team.  DeAndre Jordan is not the player he once was.  They probably have more energy scoring from their guards with Lou Williams, but to say Gallo is a great addition..the guy takes too many bad shots and he is very inconsistent as a scorer.  Not a fan of Gallinari at all.

I don’t know why Chris Paul suddenly guarantees the Rockets the 2nd spot in the West.  The Spurs are still the class of the West when healthy…it would’ve been a much better series if Kawhi was healthy.  

There is no way the Wolves are good enough to be guaranteed the 5th spot.  I still like the Jazz and the system they play in better than that 2009 Thibodeau system.  The Nuggets are a good up and coming team, and the Blazers will always hover around the 7-8 seed.

The Clippers are only better because of the players they picked up from the Houston trade, not Gallinari.  The Pelicans have no chance at making the playoffs they are a terrible team.  If anything I’d say the Jazz have an equal shot to the Wolves and Clippers right now…5 through 8 is wide open.  

Bankroll PJ
        Participant

I’m also down on the Pelicans, but it’s not because of Davis and Cousins. Jah-Embid combo is a poor comparison, because Okafor is no where near the talent of Davis or Cousins, and both Davis and Cousins can score from all three levels. And why are you down on Davis as a talent?  The man averaged 28 and 12 so obviosly he’s strong and explosive enough to put the ball in the basket. Best "tweener" in basketball in that case. The Pelicans biggest problem is that the rest of the team lacks talent and with their financial situation, they’re unable to improve the roster this season.  Obviously Davis and Cousins aren’t a perfect fit, but they aren’t the problem. 

SubZero
          Participant

I really believe if Anthony Davis was on a team like the Spurs or really any good team, we’d be calling him a top 5 player in the league

SlickBouncePass
          Participant

but certain players have the IT factor…meaning their mindset is that of "i’m gonna prove to this sucker that I am better than him".

I saw it in Joel Embiid, and I watched him play every game in a 76ers Uniform.  

I thought Embiid made Dwight Howard his errand boy.  Embiid even stepped up against Giannis.  I thoguht he had a better game than Giannis because he played harder, but Giannis showed me a lot during the playoffs so I will not knock him.  I just think Embiid is stronger than he is mentally.

Embiid vs. Cousins was a fun matchup, so was Embiid vs. Towns, but both of those guys are limited by their size, they are not true bigs, and Embiid had his way, especially in 2nd matchup vs. Towns, he came out and showed he is the better player.

Embiid vs. Davis wasn’t even really a competition.  Embiid was too strong.  Davis was hanging out in midrange and didn’t have the strength to battle with Embiid.  I noticed that and also several times have noticed Davis say when asked if he is a center or PF, that he prefers PF because he can’t bang with the strong men in the NBA.  I think he knows Embiid would eat his shorts.  

But yeah, the combination of Davis and Cousins is ugly.  Not because both aren’t skilled, obviously they are, but I think Davis is a midrange game, and Cousins just wants the ball too much.  I don’t think there is enough ball to go around for the two of them, and its awkward, just as it was for Embiid and Jah, to be out of position and share the ball.

They’re not fluid like guards.  They are two magnetic presences that once they hve the ball dont’ really look to give it up, especially not Cousins, although he is great as a big man, I just think its a very very awkward duo.  

Matos
        Participant

Utah lost their best player Hayward and also lost a serviceable player in George Hill. That brings them down a notch but they have potential so they’ll be back in in a year or two. West is just too loaded. Wolves got their clear cut all-star in Butler who thrived under Thibs. Towns and Wiggins also have another year under their belt.

Your knock on Gallinari can be said about a lot of guys but the fact of the matter is that he is an offensive oriented player that can get you 15+ a night (20+ when he’s hot). Thats what the Clips need most. The addition of Beverley gives them a defensive all-star to put on opposing team’s best guards. Lou Will gives them buckets as well. Blake and DeAndre get more looks. You’re way too low on the Clips.

Don’t know why you’re acting like I praised the Pelicans. I said they’re not making the playoffs. But the Pels are not gonna be as trash as you’re making them out to be. Davis is a generational talent I don’t know where you’re getting that he’s a tweener who’s not strong or explosive enough. Embid/Oak comparison is horrific. Neither Davis or Cousins has anything close to the playing style of Okafor. 

And CP3 gives Houston the other playmaker they’ve been seeking. I’ve been on the side of saying that its going to be a struggle at first, but they’re going to figure it out. If they add Melo, it will add some fire power. Tony Parker is a year older and coming off a tough injury. Manu may not even be back and he had some good games in the playoffs. Gasol is out. Dedmon is out. Aldridge is exposed. Kawhi is one player. Kawhi & the "Spurs system" is why I’m even giving them the number 3 seed. Rockets got better so they’re jumping them there.

SlickBouncePass
          Participant

giving you 15 on inefficient and often bad shots, while you lose the gamer that is Chris Paul who was efficient, and you had that "punch" in Jamal Crawford although he wasn’t a starter.  I think Blake is the player the offense has to run through so it will be good to see him freed up.  Gallo would’ve been a nice starter with Chris Paul finding him, but to act like they’ll make the playoffs because they added an inefficient scorer, I don’t want to hear it.

As I said before, in 2009 I’d say Butler and the young wolves have a chance.  But I’ll say that Karl Towns is very weak defensively.  I like their other big and feel he is often overlooked while everyone gushes over Towns, who is all "energy" against great bigs like Embiid.  

As I said before, Davis is a midrange player, he doesn’t like to bang downlow so he definitely is NOT okafor.  Cousins can bang, but often times takes too many ugly shots.  They should be able to figure it out, but it depends on if they want to.  I personally hate it, because they are both magnetic bigs, you want the ball to find the both of them.  Neither of them should have to share the ball much unless they are playing in a SPURS SYSTEM, the greatest system of basketball in the last 20 years.

CP3 is going to figure what out?  How to watch Harden dominate while he remains limited due to his size.  They’re a jumpshooting team and CP3 is a heck of a player, but how do they become so much better with him?  I don’t think they have a chance against hte Spurs in a 7 game series.

On the Spurs, Dwayne Dedmon is out.  Oh. No.  Manu has been aging and I’m glad Mills and Green will get more minutes.  Parker is concerning because of his ability to get you big buckets.  Aldridge just isn’t a fit for their system and is no means a replacement to Timmy, but who is?  San Antonio’s fault has always been, never getting Timmy a Tyson Chandler defensive type of player and rebounder.  If they added more skill than Tiago Splitter, or Antionio McDyess, or basically anyone of a large stature that could do similarly to David Robinson, there is no chance they’d lose to the Cavs.  Thats their fault.  Timmy could have had 7 or 8.  I always bet on the Spurs until someone takes them down.  

Guys I think are overrated:

Chris Paul – although he’s a bigtime player, his size limits him.  Him going somewhere isn’t going to change a lot.  See the Clippers success.

Anthony Davis – he needs to show me more than empty stats.  Like I want him to get tough and you know, be considered to have a chanc at making the playoffs.

Karl Towns – anointed a superstar yet hasn’t sniffed the playoffs…with his buddy…

Andrew Wiggins – sure Butler will come in and change the culture, a major upgrade over a Lavine, but come on man, this guy just doesn’t have the IT factor, he doesn’t ball out every night.

Gallinari – just because of the post above.  Are you kidding me?  Galinari guarantees a playoff spot for the clippers, we shall see.  

Striver347
    Participant

I’m largely in agreement with SeattleSuperChronics standings until the bottom 3 teams. 

I expect Denver to make playoffs this year. They can rely on continued in-house growth from Jokic, Harris, Barton, Hernangomez, Lyles, Mudiay (who’s shot looks improved up to date as far as mechanics are concerned) and the addition of Millsap. I think the ‘loss’ of Gallinari is actually addition by subtraction, and I think Denver is the better team with Chandler starting at their 3 position (if that’s what even happens). Faried off the bench (where I think he belongs) and a hopeful Plumlee resigning makes Denver potent and a better candidate to claim a position instead of the Clippers who lack threats from etiher guard position. 

The Blazers are criminally underrated and can expect continued in-house growth from Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic, Harkless, Turner, and Crabbe. Any additional contributions from Aminu, Vonleh, and Leonard would only improve upon their core which I think is also a more fearsome team than the product the Clippers plan to offer.

I just can’t seem to believe in the Pelicans enough to warrant a playoffs spot for them and that is for many reasons: Cousins "passion" which leads to ejections, turnovers, and free points for the other team, their obvious lack of depth, and general roster durability concerns (Holiday, Davis, whoever else is on their team, I barely remember). I think their 3 position is criminally weak although Jordan Crawford seems to be a very green wing player as far as offensive production is concerned. Apparently Moore is a solid guard although I haven’t really seen him warrant much conversation.

Utah can also expect more in-house growth because I also see Hayward’s departure as further addition by subtraction. If summer league is any indication of the immediate future in Utah, they can expect Exum and Mitchell to fuel their guard positions alongside Rubio – whose shooting percentages increased tremendously toward the end of last season. I think Rodney Hood is a player to keep an eye on this season. His offensive production is valuable and I think he is key for the roster moving forward. I think Gobert makes another move forward offensively this season and I think Favors is another name to keep an eye out for. Ultimately, I think their team has promise in many dimensions of the game. Their 3 point shooting may prove to be a bit of concern though. 

The Clippers are expected to drop in the standings. Between my pessimism and inability to see who gives their backcourt production anywhere near the production of Paul, Redick, and Crawford is a cute idea. Their frontcourt appears viable although they also have clear durability concerns. 

I think the Nuggets are 6th, Blazers 7th, and Utah 8th.

I could be wrong. 

I’m not convinced the Lakers make the jump to usurp any of those teams as of now. Perhaps the outlook for their roster by February looks different. Not convinced neither Ingram nor Ball are ready to make significant contributions today although I’ll admit I do agree their team composition is radically improved from last season.

SlickBouncePass
      Participant

Warriors

Spurs

Thunder

Rockets

Denver

Portland

Memphis

Utah

with Minnesota, Clippers, Pelicans………Lakers out.  

Truth is…nobody knows.  But I prefer teams with good systems, good coaching, mentally stable players that play hard every game.  

Also I like how my Eastern Conference Standing Projection got negged, even though the idea was timely.  Come on y’all, respect the ideas. Execution may not be perfect…but always respect the idea.  

HobbyOG
    Participant

Lakers would only make the PO’s if they were in the east lol..too much competition for them to make the PO’s and I’m a Laker fan. But will be a decent team to watch. 

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I do not expect the Lakers to make the playoffs this season and I’m not sure as of right now that their roster is really that much improved from a season ago. How much they improve in the win column will probably ultimately depend on how much their young players (particularly Ingram) improve from a season ago. KCP is a decent pickup who has shown flashes but there is a reason Detroit was willing to let him walk and he couldn’t secure more than a one year deal on the open market. I’m not really sure how much he actually moves the needle. Seems like this deal was done as much for KCP’s connections to lebron as anything. 

As for the magic-pelinka regime, I think the jury is still out. The Russell trade was by far the biggest move they’ve made so far and it was risky to say the least. If Russell blows up in Brooklyn, ball turns out to be a bust, and the Lakers continue to lose and can’t attract fa’s then it could likely go down as one of the worst trades of all time. Of course, if things go the other way, it could be looked at as the first step in the Lakers path back to contention. The one thing I will say is that there clearly seems to be a plan in place now which is a total departure from years past when it seems like we were just star chasing and throwing money at whoever was willing to take it. I love the fact that they aren’t committing to anything beyond 1 year deals and we are at least putting ourselves in position to be major players in free agency next year. Whether they can actually lure the big names to come remains to be seen.

iguapops420
    Participant

Russell is criminally overrated TBH. He had problems with two seperate coaching staffs and has true immaturity issues. He would be told over and over how he needed to do things and would continue on as he always has. Poppovich lit into him over this same problem last year for USA select team. Ru it’s of him showing his trainers videos of him getting head, snitching on teammates while never being accountable. The kid just does the stay aggressive all game long and doesn’t have he type of passing he was made out to have when being drafted.

Bird_Years
    Participant

The 8th seed in the west is going to need to win over 45 games to lock up that spot. I love a good scramble at the end

I’m suprised no one is giving Memphis a look at the bottom couple rungs in the west. The Conley / Gasol duo still wins games. They took the Spurs to 6 games this past year, including the instant classic game 4 OT win for the Grizzlies featuring the Conley vs Kawhi duel and ending in the Gasol game winner

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I can see the Grizzlies anywhere from 4 to about 10.  Not much margin for error with Conley and Gasol as the only true proven vets on the team.  I am not not counting on Chandler Parsons much, even if he’s healthy.  If he can give us 10-5-3 off the bench I would be happy…

The Lakers can fight for the 8th seed.  Depends on fit and chemistry.  I think Brook Lopez can just go out and get you some points.  So can Julius Randle.  The key is, how good will Brandon Ingram be?  He looked great in that summer league game… Lonzo not only needs to run the team, rack up the assists, and play passable defense, but I still think he needs to average at least 12-13 a night for them to be a playoff team.    They kinda remind me of those old Sacto Kings teams with C Webb, J Will, Peja, and Divac.  I can see Lonzo Ball having a J-Will-esque rookie year.  Ironically, Jason Williams had less mid-range game than just about anyone… his game was passing with flair, running the offense, picking up the pace, and then either driving for a layup/short floater or chucking a deep 3.  Don’t remember him taking a mid-range bank, a pull up 15 footer, let alone a post move.

But, even if Lonzo Ball is a 6’6 hybrid of Jason Williams and Steph Curry they STILL might not make the playoffs.

But, if they do, a Warriors-Lakers first round matchup would be insanely fun to watch.

Speaking of the Grizzlies and Lakers, I think they are one of the few teams that can pick off the Warriors this year.  The Grizz are tough, disciplined, and even a bit deeper than they used to be.  They can play the 2 man game with Marc and Mike.  But, they can also move the ball better now and have more shooting (even without Z Bo).  I think we can steal one, at least at the FedEx Forum.

Lakers can run and gun, so if they are really shooting it well, I think they can steal one in LA.  Especially if the Warriors are playing the second game in a back-to-back on the road.

The Warriors might win 39 or 40 games at home — and 34 or 35 on the road.  

The Lakers lose their pick in 2018 — unless it is number 1, so basically they need to go all-out and try to win.  Then see where they are at the All Star Break, then if they can make a move or two at the trade deadline… but, if they are dropping off, then I think they need to mix and match lineups and semi-tank for a better shot at that top pick.  

llperez

I’m excited as a laker fan. But playoffs are a long shot. Making it should be our goal, but highly doubtful. I’ll be happy if we just are more competitive and show progress. But it’s not like management deserves some big pat on the back. When you are bad this long and have accumulated this many high picks, you should have the makings of a solid foundation.

starting 5:

Lonzo ball
    Kentavious caldwell pope
    Brandon Ingram
    Julius Randle
    Brook Lopez

Key bench guys:Jordan clarkson, Larry nance, luol deng.
    Wait to see how zubaca, kuzma and hart look, those guys can all earn roles.

SlickBouncePass
      Participant

thats a great summer league team.  

mgreener_34
    Participant

I like what the Lakers are doing, but right now their team is too young, and they lack the necessary scoring/shooting to make it out West. The best shooter on that team is Brook Lopez…

Ball/Ingram/KCP are all work in progress’ in terms of scoring and shooting. I expect Ingram to improve this year, as well as KCP, but if Ball comes out shooting badly, those guys are going to have a harder time hitting shots because defenses will be locked in on them instead of Lonzo. 

I think LA is on the same level as the Dallas Mavericks, if that gives you any indication of how I project that team. The Mavs won 33 games this year. I expect that from this Lakers team, 33-38 wins. Their bench is what will save them for the year 

cohenbc1
    Participant

No, the Lakers won’t sniff the playoffs this year, but at least they’ve got a young core to develop, and one that could lure a game-changing talent in free agency next year. They will be fun to watch.

1. Warriors
    2. Spurs
    3. Rockets
    4. Thunder
    5. Jazz 
    6. Nuggets
    7. Blazers
    8. Pelicans

The Goat
    Participant

1.  Warriors

2. Spurs

3. Thunder

4. Rockets

5. Jazz

6. Wolves

7. Pels

8. Griz

9. Nugs

10. Blazers

11. Clips

12. Mavs

13. Kings

14. Suns

15. Lakers

My list won’t be popular but I think it’s fair.  The Lakers need all young guys to fire and avoid injury to climb out the cellar.  I can’t see it. They aren’t deep enough.

San Antonio are closer to the Warriors than many think. They were in total control in the playoffs until Kawhi got ZaZa’ed. Rudy Gay is a good signing and Joffrey Lauvergne is very underrated. 

llperez

I would put lakers at 14 ahead of Suns. They finished ahead of suns last year and with Lopez, pope, ball and improvement from Ingram I think they improved more in offseason then Suns did.

brodiejay
    Participant

It’s really hard to pick the order of teams from five to eleven in my opinion. It seems like just about everyone here agrees on the teams that will be in slots 5-11 but the order varies greatly. My best guess is:

1. Warriors

2. Houston (*unless they deal their glue guys for Melo, which would make them worse)

3. Spurs

4. Thunder

5. Jazz

6. Timberwolves

7. Nuggets

8. Clippers

9. Memphis

10. Blazers

11. Pelicans

12. Mavs

13. Kings

14. Suns

15. Lakers

With how strong the West is vs the East, I think 1 through 12 will have .500 records or better and the Kings and Suns will go close to a winning record too.

I think the Lakers will improve too. I think they’ll end up winning about 35 games. Lonzo Ball’s playmaking makes them instantly better and gives them the quarterback playmaker they’ve been lacking for a long time. I don’t have much faith in his shooting against NBA defenders, but you can’t deny his playmaking and distributing ability. 

sheltwon3
    Participant

I think Lakers can over achieve by using the running and gunning style that led Suns to great regular season wins.  Even teams more talented will not want to run and gun with the Lakers and with Lonzo Ball and possibly another bk pg like Rondo who can keep the pace up they can steal games where they don’t match up talent wise.  I really believe Lakers will shock people this season.

I believe the buzz that Lonzo Ball has created plus his play has already made this Lakers a success whether next year or down the road, they have two young players that can be All Stars and maybe add some more stars in the future.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login