This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar evantomes 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    bdiddy5115
    Participant

2015 had the most Freshman drafted ever since the One-and-Done rule was implemented. 

2015: 13 freshman drafted

2014: 9

2013: 8

2012: 9 

2011: 7 

2010: 10

2009: 4

2008: 12

2007: 8

So that’s a little under 9 per year. Of the guys coming in, who do you see as 2016 Draftees? And do you think this will be an above or below average Freshman class, talent-wise?

For me, I currently see it like this:

Very Likely (to declare): Jaylen Brown [SF]; Skal Labissiere [PF/C]; Ben Simmons [PF/SF]; Malik Newman [SG/PG] – mostly due to his personality

Good Chance: Brandon Ingram [SF]; Cheick Diallo [PF/C]; Ivan Rabb [PF]; Jamal Murray [PG/SG]; Diamond Stone [C]; Antonio Blakeney [SG]

Somewhat Possible: Dwayne Bacon [SG/SF]; Chase Jeter [PF/C]; Isaiah Briscoe [PG]; Alonzo Trier [SG]; Henry Ellenson [PF]; Ray Smith [SF]; Derryk Thornton [PG]; JaQuan Lyle [PG/SG]

Unlikely: Pretty much everyone else, for now

That being said, there will always be disappointments (Cliff Alexander), guys who were not quite ready for CBB who looked to be potential one-and-done candidates (Theo Pinson Jr.), and guys who were somewhat highly rated coming out of HS but were underrated as potential NBA prospects in the upcoming year (D’Angelo Russell). 

ph90702

How is Stephen Zimmerman not on this list?  He’s a top ten recruit, and UNLV has had a new starting power forward every year since Dave Rice took over.

Memphisboy14
      Participant

I was just about to say. I’ve seen Zimmerman play plenty of times and I’ve been impressed with him. I think he has good size and athleticism at his position and pretty good skills. I think he could possibly be a 1st rounder one day.

Memphisboy14
      Participant

I was just about to say. I’ve seen Zimmerman play plenty of times and I’ve been impressed with him. I think he has good size and athleticism at his position and pretty good skills. I think he could possibly be a 1st rounder one day.

ph90702

How is Stephen Zimmerman not on this list?  He’s a top ten recruit, and UNLV has had a new starting power forward every year since Dave Rice took over.

bdiddy5115
    Participant

I just don’t see him as a likely candidate. He’s on my radar, but it’s unlikely at this juncture. 

Plus, many of UNLV’s highly touted recruits haven’t produced particularly well as Freshman in recent years.

’14: 5* SG R.Vaughn (did well).; 5* SF D.Morgan (struggled); 4* PF G.Okonoboh (contributed a bit)

’13: 5* SG J.Kendrick (struggled); 4* PF C.Wood (barely contributed)

’12: 5* PF A.Bennett (did well); 4* PG K.Reinhardt (okay year, transferred); 4* SF S.Goodman (barely contributed)

ph90702

The five star freshmen have placed unrealistic expectations on all of the other freshmen.  Most freshmen (there’s close to 1,000 per year) aren’t ready to contribute.

ph90702

The five star freshmen have placed unrealistic expectations on all of the other freshmen.  Most freshmen (there’s close to 1,000 per year) aren’t ready to contribute.

bdiddy5115
    Participant

I just don’t see him as a likely candidate. He’s on my radar, but it’s unlikely at this juncture. 

Plus, many of UNLV’s highly touted recruits haven’t produced particularly well as Freshman in recent years.

’14: 5* SG R.Vaughn (did well).; 5* SF D.Morgan (struggled); 4* PF G.Okonoboh (contributed a bit)

’13: 5* SG J.Kendrick (struggled); 4* PF C.Wood (barely contributed)

’12: 5* PF A.Bennett (did well); 4* PG K.Reinhardt (okay year, transferred); 4* SF S.Goodman (barely contributed)

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

I think Bacon is very likey to declare.. He wants to get to the NBA quick.. Dont rule out Prince Ali as well, very skilled player for UCLA. He has allot of Oladipo and Wade in his game

Astro
      Participant

OK, that was too obvious…but he is a tasty prospect.

Astro
      Participant

OK, that was too obvious…but he is a tasty prospect.

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

I think Bacon is very likey to declare.. He wants to get to the NBA quick.. Dont rule out Prince Ali as well, very skilled player for UCLA. He has allot of Oladipo and Wade in his game

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I’d throw isiah briscoe in the good chance to declare category. 

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I’d throw isiah briscoe in the good chance to declare category. 

evantomes
    Participant

I think Carlton Bragg and Thomas Bryant are somewhat possible.

evantomes
    Participant

I think Carlton Bragg and Thomas Bryant are somewhat possible.

Andrew1984
    Participant

I’m going to add a name of someone who has a very outside chance, who I think is going to turn heads because of his vision, passing, and size: Mickey Mitchell, Ohio State, from Plano West, Texas. He’s a 6-7 lefty who can handle it and drop insane dimes. He actually reminds me a little bit of Kyle Anderson in high school.

Andrew1984
    Participant

I’m going to add a name of someone who has a very outside chance, who I think is going to turn heads because of his vision, passing, and size: Mickey Mitchell, Ohio State, from Plano West, Texas. He’s a 6-7 lefty who can handle it and drop insane dimes. He actually reminds me a little bit of Kyle Anderson in high school.

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Mickey is one of my favorite prospects. He could blow up like Deangelo Russell did. Been following him for years. I think he is more of a Lance Stephenson or Evan Turner type player. Where he needs the ball in his hands. He is a gifted passer and scorer. He will surprise many people at Ohio St. Thad will love him

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Mickey is one of my favorite prospects. He could blow up like Deangelo Russell did. Been following him for years. I think he is more of a Lance Stephenson or Evan Turner type player. Where he needs the ball in his hands. He is a gifted passer and scorer. He will surprise many people at Ohio St. Thad will love him

FearTheStache
    Participant

I’m a Maryland student. What do you guys think of Diamond Stone? Chances he stays?

FearTheStache
    Participant

I’m a Maryland student. What do you guys think of Diamond Stone? Chances he stays?

evantomes
      Participant

I would not expect Stone back next year. He can very well get drafted higher than he is currently projected.

evantomes
      Participant

I would not expect Stone back next year. He can very well get drafted higher than he is currently projected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login