2016 Olympic Roster

BigChamp12
2016 Olympic Roster

I was bored and starting wondering about the 2016 Olympic Roster which will be very interesting. A lot of guys from the previous roster will be older and may decline returning. Some guys may be beat out of their spots by some of the rising stars in the league.

Who do you guys think will be on the 2016 Olympic Team?
Select your starters and the 7 reserve players.
Also select a Head Coach

2012 Roster
PG Deron Williams
PG Chris Paul
PG Russell Westbrook
SG Kobe Bryant
SG James Harden
SF Lebron James
SF Kevin Durant
SF Andre Iguadola
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Kevin Love
PF Anthony Davis ( replaced Blake Griffin)
C Tyson Chandler

Players who missed final cut
SF Rudy Gay
SG Eric Gordon

Players who were in the final 20 but backed out due to injury
PG Chauncey Billups
PG Derrick Rose
SG Dwayne Wade
PF LaMarcus Aldridge
PF Blake Griffin
PF Chris Bosh
C Dwight Howard

Some names to keep an eye on:
PG Kyrie Irving
PG Jrue Holiday
PG Stephen Curry
SF Paul George
SF Jabari Parker
C Andrew Bynum
C Demarcus Cousins

Hi its Ben
Hi its Ben's picture
I doubt Chauncey would be

I doubt Chauncey would be invited considering he would be like 48 by the time 2016 rolled around. And Id be willing to bet Curry makes the squad.

lakeshow22
Derrick RoseRussel

Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrook
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Eric Gordon
Kevin Durant
Paul George
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love
Anthony Davis
Jabari Parker
Ben McLemore

Memphis Madness
This is my team. Not saying

This is my team. Not saying this will happen but I did get the 2012 group right (I had AD in there before anyone else did, and I also picked Iggy).

PG Derrick Rose
PG Russell Westbrook
PG Kyrie Irving
PG Steph Curry

SG James Harden
SG Klay Thompson

SF Kevin Durant
SF Carmelo Anthony

PF LeBron James
PF Kevin Love

C Anthony Davis
C Greg Monroe

The biggest tossups are inside. LBJ is in if he wants to go, obviously, and Durant and Carmelo will be there too, if they want to be. Love, Davis, and Monroe, is a solid trio as "real bigs". Decent size inside. Too bad Marc Gasol is Spanish. He would be a PERFECT fit here. Monroe gives us some offense and Davis gives us some defense and length.

I am not sure four point guards make the team but I really love these guys. Plus, Westbrook can play some 2, and Steph Curry can SHOOT.

This team could be INCREDIBLE if LeBron comes back as well as Durant, Melo, and some of the other guys. There could be a lot of shooters next time which should be fun to watch. We could throw out a lineup of Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love. ... the 2016 team could be one of the best shooting teams ever assembled.

phila9012
I think they would take Paul

I think they would take Paul George over Klay Thompson because George is perfect for the igudala role of all around elite defensive player who doesnt need the ball in his hands and there is already a lot of shooting on the roster.

Klay would be in the next group of guys who could easily go there because some guys will be hurt or not want to go. I think if howard wants to go he will be there so then davis, cousins, monroe, drummond, would be competing for the last big man spot

BigChamp12
Monroe

I really like your Greg Monroe Pick. I hadnt even thought of him.

You dont think Blake would make it? He was on the last roster but got hurt in practice a few days before they had to leave. Thats how Anthony Davis got on.

Dwight already said that he wants to play also.

XYRYX
XYRYX's picture
Yeah the new generation of

Yeah the new generation of the NBA is taking over! So many 25 or younger are going to be Superstars or form the Elite of NBA right now! Curry, Lawson, Holiday are up and coming pg while this position is going to be even stronger in the future!

lakeshow22
How does Eric Gordon not make

How does Eric Gordon not make it?

BlueRivers25
BlueRivers25's picture
Because he is going to be

Because he is going to be injured.

Sotos14
HC - Doc Rivers and Tibs as

HC - Doc Rivers and Tibs as an assistant

PG - Chris Paul
SG - James Harden
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Lebron James
C - Dwight Howard

G - Steph Curry
G - Kyrie Irving
G - Russ Westbrook
F - Carmelo Anthony
F - Paul George
F - Anthony Davis
C - Andre Drummond

So many other guys out their that are worthy of being an Olympian
Derrick Rose (Hardest omission but so similar to Westbrook that I felt Curry and Irving's shooting are too valuable to pass up)
John Wall
Damian Lillard
Jrue Holiday
Andrew Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Brook Lopez
Joakim Noah
Derek Favors
Greg Monroe

U.S. is so deep that even players I left out would win Gold. God Bless America!!

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
If Wiggins plays for USA

If Wiggins plays for USA there are going to be a lot of annoyed Canadians on these boards. I expect Noah to continue playing for France as well.

Sotos14
Crap I totally messed that up

Crap I totally messed that up and forgot he's Canadian citizen even though its been said a million times on this board plus everywhere else. I even remember him talking about how he can't wait to team up with other young canadiens to compete nationally. Thanks for pointing that out.

goldie92689
goldie92689's picture
1. Andrew Wiggins is

1. Andrew Wiggins is Canadian
2. Joakim Noah is the Starting Center for France

XYRYX
XYRYX's picture
Please add Faried and Kawhi

Please add Faried and Kawhi Leonard to this list! The talent is growing on trees there!

wrector
wrector's picture
Starters PG: Russell

Starters
PG: Russell Westbrook (Derrick Rose pending his return to normalcy)
SG: James Harden
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: LeBron James
C: Dwight Howard

Reserves
PG: Kyrie Irving
PG: Derrick Rose
PG: Steph Curry
SF: Carmelo Anthony
SF: Paul George
PF: Kevin Love
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge

I think this lineup brings a lot of versatility to possible rotations. Almost all of these guys are able to switch between two positions.

Balltilufall
Yea i am feeling something

Yea i am feeling something like the last three posted. I don;t see Kobe or Chauncey playing three years from now.

akhan786
akhan786's picture
I feel like our shooting has

I feel like our shooting has been less than desirable the last couple cycles. With Harden, Durant, Curry, Irving, and possibly Klay that shouldn't be a problem for the foreseeable future.

THIS imo will be the key with the international teams getting better every year. Especially if FIBA insists on using European rules.

ItsVictorOladipo
It remains to be seen how

It remains to be seen how some guys will come back from injuries but as of right now this is how I would have it. Age in parenthesis by July 2016.

G - Chris Paul (31) - Starter and the best pure passer and floor general out of the guards
G - Derrick Rose (27) - Hopefully he gets back to his previous level, plenty of youngsters eager to grab a spot at guard
G - Russell Westbrook (27) - Should recover from his knee surgery and will still be explosive enough to cause havoc on O and D
G - Stephen Curry (28) - shooting ability would be perfect for international game. I think he might start at SG.
G - James Harden (26) - only guy that plays SG in the NBA, but others are more than capable of playing off the ball
F - Kevin Durant (27) - Should still be the top scorer in the game and start at SF
F - Lebron James (31) - Might still be the best player in the world at this time, should start at PF.
F - Paul George (26) - Jack-of-All-Trades will be the Iguodala of this squad
F - Carmelo Anthony (32) - Will be the elder statesmen on the team, should still be a terrific stretch 4.F - Anthony Davis (23) - Should be an All-Star with a well-rounded game by then
C - Kevin Love (27) - Terrific rebounder, shooter and outlet passer will make a great center for the Olympics
C - Dwight Howard (30) - IMO this past season was an aberration for Dwight and he will get back to his previous production. Still if he falters plenty of young centers that would love to take his place.

Guys on the fence:

If any of the PGs are not up to form, expect Kyrie Irving (24), John Wall (25), Damian Lillard (26), Jrue Holiday (26) and Rajon Rondo (30) to replace one or even two of them.

Carmelo Anthony could face some pretty tough competition from some young guys.If Blake Griffin (27) shows improvement this could be his spot, also I think once Derrick Favors (25) gets playing time he could be a force on defense .

If Dwight's year with the Lakers wasn't an aberration and was just the start of a downward trend, a few guys might improve enough over the next three seasons to catch up to him; Andre Drummond (22), Greg Monroe (26), Brook Lopez (28) and DeMarcus Cousins (25).

BigChamp12
i doubt if

I doubt if Carmelo has any trouble. I think it'll be his spot if he wants it. He's been one of if not the main scorer for the Olympics team the last 2 time runs. I think they'll go with one less big, or one less guard before they cut him.

I also think Kyrie is a lock to make it. I think he's more a sure-in than Stephen Curry. The staff and players were extremely impressed last year with how Kyrie was dominating Olympic runs. They said he belonged on the team, but he had to wait in line.

Memphis Madness
I am not sure you can create

I am not sure you can create a roster next time without all four of these point guards: Rose, Westbrook, Curry, and Irving.

Then you take the Big Three of International Ball: LeBron, Durant, and Melo.

With that base you can't really mess up the final five spots. I think Harden is in as the legit shooting guard who can also play the 3 in smaller lineups. I am taking Klay Thompson but I can also see guys like Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Kawhi Leonard or some others making a case for themselves.

I have Kevin Love as the legit power forward. I have him over Blake Griffin. I think only one of these two gets in.

Then at center I have Anthony Davis who is a combination of a Euro style power forward (long, can face the basket, can finish, and has decent range) and a shorter, younger Tyson Chandler.

My second center and 12th man is Greg Monroe. Great all-around skill set. Can shoot, score, and pass. However, I am thinking that Noah might be a better fit. Not the scorer or shooter, but I love his heart, competitiveness, and energy. He can defend, block shots, pass, rebound, and score off garbage buckets. Another thing I can see them doing is taking Davis or Noah but not both. ... Other than those center prospects, they should look at Andre Drummond (can't hit free throws though), Dwight Howard (scary thought but he might look really OLD in three years), Roy Hibbert, and Chris Bosh as a veteran floor spacer.

Two questions are who will take Iggy's role? I think Kawhi Leonard could do it, but I don't see them taking more than two wings not named LeBron, Durant, and Carmelo (Harden and either Klay Thompson or Paul George could be the guys).

The guard and small forward spots will be LOADED. I love this since I think guys really want to play for their country. And since 2016 is in Rio I can see basically everyone wanting to play.

The other question is who will take Tyson Chandler's role as veteran leader and defensive anchor? If you look at the center spot this way, then I think they have to go with Joakim Noah. He does a lot and he plays with great defensive teams. I give him an edge over Anthony Davis for that role, if that is what they are going for. Davis gets the edge if they prefer a guy with Olympic experience, which Anthony Davis has. With so much perimeter scoring Team USA might not need a ton of inside scoring. That's why I can see Blake Griffin giving Kevin Love (who I have them taking as the legit power forward), and I can also see Faried getting a look. Won't need many minutes or shots. He would probably be thrilled just to be there and rebound. Faried is also a guy who they can look at as being a centerpiece of the 2020 games. ... I can see Faried, Noah, and Anthony Davis being the three main bigs to balance out the amazing perimeter attack of the USA team.

ItsVictorOladipo
I am not sure you can create

I am not sure you can create a roster next time without all four of these point guards: Rose, Westbrook, Curry, and Irving.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the exact same thing but then I couldn't leave off CP3 (who at 31 should still be playing at a high level considering his playing style) and felt the team needed a pass-first floor general. So 1 of those 4 guys had to go...

BigChamp12
SF

I dont think Kawhi would get the nod at the Forward spot. Iggy's def not gonna be back. I think it'll be between Rudy Gay, Paul George, and possibly Jabari Parker.

Rudy Gay- was the last person cut last season, so he def has a chance.

Paul George- Has emerged and could be a Superstar by 2016.

Jabari Parker- Hasn't played in NBA yet, but has huge potential and could blossom into a star.

SmooveKRYPT
SmooveKRYPT's picture
PGs: Chris Paul Derrick

PGs:
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Russ Westbrook
Steph Curry

SGs:
James Harden

SFs:
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Carmelo Anthony
Paul George

PF/Cs:
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Anthony Davis

On the fence: Kyrie Irving(if CP3 or Rose are hurt he's a lock). John Wall, Dame Lillard, Ty Lawson, & Jrue Holliday(victims of numbers game). Klay Thompson(if Melo or Bron don't return he's likely in). Favors, Drummond, Noel(1 might take a spot depending on style of play new coach wants). Also watch out for Rondo if Doc gets the job or Kawhi if it's Pop.

Memphis Madness
Noah may be a bit volatile

Noah may be a bit volatile but I think he would be a great fit. I am rethinking Anthony Davis, and now I think it is a tossup between Noah and Davis. Noah just gives you a little more size, rebounding, defense, shot blocking, toughness, passing, and experience.

3 years is a long time and anything can happen, but the 2016 should be awesome and fun to watch.

ItsDwight reminded me that I left off CP3. I thought he would be older in 2016 but if he will only be about 31 then I could see him as the veteran/leader point guard a la Jason Kidd.

I wonder if Kobe will want to play. He will be even older, but I can see him going to Rio, winning another gold medal and then retiring on top of the world. That's what Larry Bird did and that is still the coolest retirement in basketball. MJ had it right, but he came back and screwed it up. The worst timing goes to Elgin Baylor and Pete Maravich. Let's hope Kobe closes things out more like Larry Legend.

goldie92689
goldie92689's picture
Canada

I am interested in seeing the development of teams around the world. Canada seems like they are about to really make some noise. Brazil, France, Greece, etc

BigChamp12
I think biggest Competition will be

I think the biggest competition will be the POINT GUARD position.
It is so stacked that it's crazy!
Paul, Rose, and Westbrook all seem to be locks. Deron Williams has a gold medal so he could possibly be back, but he may be able to be beat out by someone like Kyrie Irving.

I can definitely see John Wall being on the Olympic Team, but when?
Although Lillard has proven that he will be a great PG in the NBA, due to depth at the PG position, I predict that he'll never be on the Olympic Team.

James Harden will be there at SG. Not sure if there will be any other 2guards chosen because the PGs and Small Forwards would all be able to slide over into that spot depending on the lineup. Stephen Curry and Eric Gordon have the best chances if any more are chosen.

I think there will only be one opening at small forward because Lebron, Melo, and KD are the faces of Team USA for now.
I think that spot will ultimately come down to Rudy Gay and Paul George.

As far as Bigs go... Anthony Davis has a Gold Medal so he'll probably be back. He'll probably have some competition this time since all of his comp were hurt during the last tryouts. Blake Griffin made that roster but got hurt at practice, so he'll probably be back also. The Last spot I can see going to Dwight since he already declared that he wants to play in 2016. I cant see, right now, anybody beating him out for the C spot since it really will be addressing the team's Defense and Rebounding.

ph90702
Not going to happen. Seven of

Not going to happen. Seven of the players are over 30 years old in 2016. Kobe will be retired by 2016.

BigChamp12
???

What is not going to happen?

ph90702
That team. The Old Knees

That team. The Old Knees Team.

GabeK
I guess I will try Canada's

I guess I will try Canada's 2016 roster.

Cory Jospeh
Myck Kabongo
Tyler Ennis
Nik Stauskas
Andrew Wiggins
Trey Lyles
Anthony Bennett
Tristan Thompson
Andrew Nicholson
Joel Anthony
Kelly Olynyk
Khem Birch