This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 8 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    cavairo7
    Participant

With the season almost 2 months old, here are my picks for the Rising Stars Challenge during the 2016 NBA All Star Weekend. Here are the rules for choosing each team as depicted by the NBA: the 2 teams are composed of 1st & 2nd year NBA players, one team will be composed of USA born players and the other team will be composed of foreign born players, a minimum of 3 rookies and 3 sophomore players must be chosen for each team, each team must have 4 backcourt, 4 frontcourt, & 2 swingman per squad. Considerations that I took while choosing each team; I attempted to pick 5 rookies and 5 sophomores per team (2 BC, 2 FC, & 1 SW) to give each class an equal representation, when choosing both teams, I looked to not have a redundancy of players who have close to identical skill sets [(e.g.) Willie Cauley-Stein & Nerlens Noel or Joffrey Lauvergne & Nikola Mirotic], and I chose to include an injury alternative for each team.

USA Team:

Zach LaVine BCS
    Elfrid Payton BCS
    D’Angelo Russell BCR
    Devin Booker BCR
    Rodney Hood SWS
    Stanley Johnson SWR
    Nerlens Noel FCS
    Julius Randle FCS
    Frank Kaminski FCR
    Jahlil Okafor FCR
    Jordan Clackson ALT

In looking at the backcourt I had a tough time picking between Zach LaVine and Jordan Clarkson. Both have similar stats but as of right now, LaVine has a higher PER and is playing 8 minutes less than Clarkson. Justice Winslow has been good but Stanley Johnson is just playing better. Jabari Parker was under consideration for both SW and FC and will most likely play in the actual game but I felt Rodney Hood and Nerlens Noel were more deserved to be picked for the USA Team at this time.

World Team:

Nik Stauskas BCS
    Andrew Wiggins BCS
    Emmanuel Mudiay BCR
    Raul Neto BCR
    Bojan Bogdanović SWS
    Mario Hezonja SWR
    Clint Capela FCS
    Nikola Mirotic FCS
    Kristaps Porzingis FCR
    Karl Anthony-Towns FCR
    Nikola Jokic ALT

For the backcourt slots I was considering Marcelo Huertas but chose Raul Neto instead due to having more responsibilities with the Jazz this season. For the frontcourt I didn’t know if I should take Nikola Mirotic or Joffrey Lauvergne so I ended up choosing Mirotic due to him having a significant role on a playoff bound team as opposed to a lottery bound team.

Who would you guys pick for both teams? Did I miss anyone you think is deserving?

daggers818
    Participant

Good post.  I like the format of this game and hope there is some pride involved to help keep the game somewhat competitive.

daggers818
    Participant

Good post.  I like the format of this game and hope there is some pride involved to help keep the game somewhat competitive.

thetruth87
    Participant

If this is how the rosters actually turn out I think the World team is going to win in a land slide. Can’t wait to see Towns and Porzingis play together. 

thetruth87
    Participant

If this is how the rosters actually turn out I think the World team is going to win in a land slide. Can’t wait to see Towns and Porzingis play together. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

We also get to see how Okafor does against Porzingas.

I usually really like the Rising Stars challenge.  Lots of intrigue.  In some ways it is more interesting to watch than the regular All-Star Game.  

… now I am wondering who will be in the dunk contest.  Hopefully the reigning champ Lavine gets his teammate Andrew Wiggins to participate this year.

And, if Jabari Parker gets in then I would like to see how he does against Wiggins.  Those were the two flashiest names in that draft, but Jabari hasn’t played too much.  

Both teams look good.  The World team looks better.  

I would rather watch most guys on these two teams than the regular All Stars.  I mean, the All Stars are great, but I have been watching these guys for YEARS.  I like the newness factor of the Rising Stars Challenge.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

We also get to see how Okafor does against Porzingas.

I usually really like the Rising Stars challenge.  Lots of intrigue.  In some ways it is more interesting to watch than the regular All-Star Game.  

… now I am wondering who will be in the dunk contest.  Hopefully the reigning champ Lavine gets his teammate Andrew Wiggins to participate this year.

And, if Jabari Parker gets in then I would like to see how he does against Wiggins.  Those were the two flashiest names in that draft, but Jabari hasn’t played too much.  

Both teams look good.  The World team looks better.  

I would rather watch most guys on these two teams than the regular All Stars.  I mean, the All Stars are great, but I have been watching these guys for YEARS.  I like the newness factor of the Rising Stars Challenge.

Hype Machine

I wish this format was in the all star game.

If it was seriously competitive, its the only real way to challenge to ‘Team USA’.

Hoops Summit is my favourite exhibition game for this reason.

Hype Machine

I wish this format was in the all star game.

If it was seriously competitive, its the only real way to challenge to ‘Team USA’.

Hoops Summit is my favourite exhibition game for this reason.

Toronto16
    Participant

Lol looking at these rosters, the World team would destroy.

Toronto16
    Participant

Lol looking at these rosters, the World team would destroy.

dmo21
    Participant

My picks.

Team USA:

BC1: Payton, Russell

BC2: Clarkson, Harris

Swing: Hood, Winslow

FC1: Noel, Johnson

FC2: Okafor, Randle

Team World:

BC1: Mudiay, Neto

BC2: Bogdanovic, Stauskas

Swing: Wiggins, Bjelica

FC1: Porzingis, Mirotic

fin.

dmo21
    Participant

My picks.

Team USA:

BC1: Payton, Russell

BC2: Clarkson, Harris

Swing: Hood, Winslow

FC1: Noel, Johnson

FC2: Okafor, Randle

Team World:

BC1: Mudiay, Neto

BC2: Bogdanovic, Stauskas

Swing: Wiggins, Bjelica

FC1: Porzingis, Mirotic

fin.

nateval
    Participant

Give me Smart over Russell. 

nateval
    Participant

Give me Smart over Russell. 

Hype Machine

And anyone over Stauskas.

Hype Machine

And anyone over Stauskas.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Stauskas has been playing terrible basketball on the worst basketball team ever. Such a dissapointment. Replace him with Bjelica.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Stauskas has been playing terrible basketball on the worst basketball team ever. Such a dissapointment. Replace him with Bjelica.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login