This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar jmarg25 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    trelos6
    Participant

Finally got around to doing my 2016-17 predictions, now that all the hub hub around free-agency is over.

EAST

1. Cavs 55-27 (Lebron will coast a bit more)

2. Raptors 53-29 (Slight dip from that spectacular season, still second best unit in the East)

3. Celtics 49-33 (lucky with injuries last year, Horford adds a few wins, but losing that second ball handler will hurt a bit)

4. Pacers 46-36 (some good additions, good young growing team)

5. Pistons 45-37 (same as Pacers)

6. Hornets 44-38 (well coached, slight dip from losing a few key rotation players)

7. Knicks 44-38 (great off season additions, biggest improvers in the league)

8. Hawks 43-39 (lost 2 starters so will take a hit, depends on which Dwight they are getting)

9. Wizards 42-40 (Beal and Wall are great, but that’s really all they have)

10. Bulls 41-41 (how much will Wade play, will teams just protect the paint and force the 3 ball?)

11. Heat 40-42 (losing Wade was big, how much will Bosh play if any?)

12. Bucks 40-42 (so close to making a big jump.  Another year from Giannis and Parker will make them strong contenders for the top 4 in the East come 2017-18)

13. Magic 36-46 (Young talent, will take a few more years to pay off)

14. Nets 15-67 (could be worse if they trade Brook Lopez for some young talent/picks)

15. Sixers 12-70 (should have one priority, getting their young guys to play solid minutes and develop, means a lot of losses.  Ish Smith was the reason they got a lot of wins last season)

WEST

1. Warriors 65-17 (take a hit from the spectacular 73 wins, but should still come out on top)

2. Spurs 60-22 (Lose Duncan, grab Pau, the Spurs juggernaut keeps on rolling)

3. Clippers 54-28 (Biggest questions relating Blake and his future)

4. Blazers 45-37 (more of the same)

5. Jazz 43-39 (Surprised to see them this high)

6. Thunder 42-40 (big drop off, they were really healthy last season also.  Can Westbrook be superman for 82 games?)

7. Mavs 42-40 (lose a few guys, grab a few guys.  Expect them to be there abouts again)

8. Rockets 42-40 (Harden is great, will his supporting cast step up?)

9. Grizzlies 41-41 (Healthy Gasol back, but Z-Bo is aging)

10. Pels 40-42 (Anthony Davis should be healthy.  They just lack overall talent)

11. Wolves 40-42 (Big jumpers.  I expect them to be in the playoff race and fall just short.  2017-18 could see them jump to 50 wins)

12. Kings 34-48 (Sac town being Sac town)

13. Nuggets 34-48 (A few good young pieces.  Could be a threat in a few years)

14. Suns 25-57 (Should focus on their young guys and develop that talent)

15. Lakers 18-64 (another year of struggle, but you gotta give Ingram and co the time to struggle and grow)

OhCanada-
    Participant

Good job. Its a hard year to predict with so much movement. 

I think Philly wins more than 12 games. They may not even be the worst team in the league or out East. Just the fact that they will now start trying to win with BC at the helm and real NBA talent on the roster. The youth rejuvination throughout fan interest from Simmons, Okafor, Saric, Embiid and company.

trelos6
      Participant

I think a lot of reason for Philly’s wins last season was Ish Smith. 

Yes, they actuslly have NBA talent on the roster now, but 3 rookies and a few other pieces will still struggle. 

I think they could accelerate quickly though. In 3 seasons, they have the potential to hit the 50 win barrier. 

Thenilonator
    Participant

thats a good list and in most part I agree. The only changes I would make is Hawks in place of hornets and bucks to scrape in in place of Knicks (hard to see them being healthy for the duration). In the west I see the Pelicans taking the macs spot.

Thenilonator
    Participant

thats a good list and in most part I agree. The only changes I would make is Hawks in place of hornets and bucks to scrape in in place of Knicks (hard to see them being healthy for the duration). In the west I see the Pelicans taking the mavs spot.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Also I think there is no way the Grizzlies miss the playoffs. With Conley, Allen, Randolph and Gasol healthy while adding Parsons they should compete for the fourth home seed.

The Wizards were great with Morris towards the end of the year. They should get into the playoffs this year. I would have them ahead of Charlotte and New York.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I think you are underrating the jazz somewhat. With good health, I could easily see them winning 50 games or more.

Blazers kind of snuck up on everyone last year but are definitely one of the teams I could see with the potential to take a step back this year. 

Malik-Universal
    Participant

hate to sound like a nerd but i calculated the total number of wins overall by teams in 2015 and 2016 and they totaled 1,230 wins for each season.. idk if your rankings total that number overall by adding each teams wins but i thought it was interesting what i found.. hope i made sense

trelos6
      Participant

and I’m aware. It is a balancing act because if the East gains 4 wins, the West must lose 4 

jmarg25
    Participant

I just find it hard to see the Hornets being better than the Hawks, Knicks, Wizards and Bulls. They lost Jeremy Lin, Al Jefferson (even though he was rarely healthy), and Courtney Lee. I would say all of those four teams will improve upon last season except for maybe Atlanta, but I still see Atlanta being better than Charlotte. The eastern conference is definitely stronger this year, and I would not predict Charlotte to make the playoffs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login