This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 8 years, 12 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

How well do you think the Knicks will fare next season. Who will they draft and try to sign. What trades might they try to pull off. 

I think their first goal is to bring talent in. The Gasol and Aldridge rumours seem a little farfetched to me. The Monroe one maybe a bit more realistic.

joe2324
    Participant

For the draft, I would target either Okafur or Towns. Lets face it, this team is so bad with so many issues at almost every position. Spending a ton on a top free agent is going to do nothing. They have such a long way to go. I would not spend money on free agents, just roll with what you have. They need to bring in some decent veterans for leadership purposes. Hopefully, Denver and the knicks are bad next year so the Knicks can still get a decent draft pick because the nuggets can switch picks. Fisher needs to go as well. This rebuild needs to take at least 5 years in all honesty.  

joe2324
    Participant

For the draft, I would target either Okafur or Towns. Lets face it, this team is so bad with so many issues at almost every position. Spending a ton on a top free agent is going to do nothing. They have such a long way to go. I would not spend money on free agents, just roll with what you have. They need to bring in some decent veterans for leadership purposes. Hopefully, Denver and the knicks are bad next year so the Knicks can still get a decent draft pick because the nuggets can switch picks. Fisher needs to go as well. This rebuild needs to take at least 5 years in all honesty.  

mgreener_34
    Participant

I think people are getting a little to opptimistic with the Knicks. I don’t see whatever rookie they take making that big of an impact, as we saw both Wiggins and Noel play great basketball all year, and their teams didn’t even crack 20 wins. I know they didn’t have Carmelo, but as we saw earlier this year, one player doesn’t really put them over the hump. The Knicks are so depleted of talent that it’s going to take a few free agent signings to push the needle. Assuming they do draft one of the centers in the draft they are looking at a lineup of:

Towns/Okafor

Melo-?

Early-?

THJ-?

Galloway-Caldaron-Larkin

That team has no scorers outside of Melo, bad shooting, and no rim protector (assuming they get Okafor, but still, we see rookie big men have problems with fouls all the time, so its safe to assume Torns is going to adjust as well). They are going to be buyers, but lets look at the top free agents this season:

Gasol- He’s not going to NY, and they wouldn’t want him if they plan on taking one of the big centers.

Aldridge- Could see it, but if he doesn’t like playing with DL as was talked about earlier, I don’t see him wanting to play with Melo. He wants to win, so I couldn’t see him going to NY, a team who just won 17 games. 

Kawhii- Spurs will match anything and everything to keep him.

Butler- ditto Kawhii, I just can’t see the Bulls letting thier best overall player go for nothing. 

KLove- Wouldn’t help thier team, would make thier defense worse, and he would be dumb to leave a title contender for the Knicks. 

Middleton- I Bucks traded Knight to free up money to sign him. I also think he would go to a better team if they do deside to let him go. 

Milsap- I think he stays, but I could see him leaving. If he does, I would actually like this move, as he is the ideal PF in todays NBA. 

Green- Again, I can’t see it. Same with Milsap, the fit would be too good, but I have a hard time seeing a player with his confidense leaving a team that just won 67 games to go to a team that won 50 less games. 

Rajon Rondo- What would he bring to the Knicks that would help them win? Also, he is the worst possible PG for the triangle

Tyson Chandler- Would you go back to the team you said had no fight, and that just traded you? 

Monroe- We all think he goes there, and he’s a nice player. He would help them, but how much better would a Moose/Melo team be than a STAT/Melo team?

Deandre Jordon- Don’t see him breaking up lob city, not no I see him going east.

Dragic- Another possibility. I wouldn’t be surprised, but I think he sticks with a class A organization 

Tobias- He could be let go by the Magic, but would a Mini Melo really help the real Melo? He’s bad at D, and would just be a wierd fit. I could see it though if the Knicks are looking to make a move.

That’s a lazy breakdown of what I think of the top FA, and how they would fit. For the most part I think it’s safe to say the Knicks are in it for the long haul. They don’t have a pick next year, so they don’t want to tank, but I just don’t see any reason to throw money at third tare players like Tobias and Moose when they are just going to make things worse. We’ve seen this story with the Knicks before with Isaiah Thomas at the helm, and Knicks fans have to agree, those were the dark days. Even if things get rough, and the MSG crowd boos, they need to stay the course. You have your best player under contract for probably the rest of his career, you’re going to have a top 5 pick to go with him this year, and you have cap flexability. Don’t throw away the chance to be better just to win 30 games this year. That’s how the Knicks of old got stuck in perpetual mediocrity. 

To be honest with you, if the Knicks strike out in FA, and we’ll know it very quickly, I think they seriously need to consider trading Melo. He’s the only chip they have, and the team isn’t going to be good untill, possibly, he’s on the wrong side of 30 making 25$ mil a year. If they can get a team to bite, get a young player and a pick for Melo, why not? Would the Celtics give up Sully/Crowder a Brooklyn Pick and Thier ow pick for Melo? Maybe. Would the Lakers possibly give up Randle/Clarkson and a pick for Melo? I think that would be a good deal for both sides. The Suns Marris/Goodwin and a couple picks? I think these are the type of deals that need to be addressed, because like it’s been reported, after next year it’s going to be a battle royal for free agents, and I don’t think the Knicks will be all that appealing. Who knows though, maybe one of the big FA surprised us, and the Knicks can make it work.

mgreener_34
    Participant

I think people are getting a little to opptimistic with the Knicks. I don’t see whatever rookie they take making that big of an impact, as we saw both Wiggins and Noel play great basketball all year, and their teams didn’t even crack 20 wins. I know they didn’t have Carmelo, but as we saw earlier this year, one player doesn’t really put them over the hump. The Knicks are so depleted of talent that it’s going to take a few free agent signings to push the needle. Assuming they do draft one of the centers in the draft they are looking at a lineup of:

Towns/Okafor

Melo-?

Early-?

THJ-?

Galloway-Caldaron-Larkin

That team has no scorers outside of Melo, bad shooting, and no rim protector (assuming they get Okafor, but still, we see rookie big men have problems with fouls all the time, so its safe to assume Torns is going to adjust as well). They are going to be buyers, but lets look at the top free agents this season:

Gasol- He’s not going to NY, and they wouldn’t want him if they plan on taking one of the big centers.

Aldridge- Could see it, but if he doesn’t like playing with DL as was talked about earlier, I don’t see him wanting to play with Melo. He wants to win, so I couldn’t see him going to NY, a team who just won 17 games. 

Kawhii- Spurs will match anything and everything to keep him.

Butler- ditto Kawhii, I just can’t see the Bulls letting thier best overall player go for nothing. 

KLove- Wouldn’t help thier team, would make thier defense worse, and he would be dumb to leave a title contender for the Knicks. 

Middleton- I Bucks traded Knight to free up money to sign him. I also think he would go to a better team if they do deside to let him go. 

Milsap- I think he stays, but I could see him leaving. If he does, I would actually like this move, as he is the ideal PF in todays NBA. 

Green- Again, I can’t see it. Same with Milsap, the fit would be too good, but I have a hard time seeing a player with his confidense leaving a team that just won 67 games to go to a team that won 50 less games. 

Rajon Rondo- What would he bring to the Knicks that would help them win? Also, he is the worst possible PG for the triangle

Tyson Chandler- Would you go back to the team you said had no fight, and that just traded you? 

Monroe- We all think he goes there, and he’s a nice player. He would help them, but how much better would a Moose/Melo team be than a STAT/Melo team?

Deandre Jordon- Don’t see him breaking up lob city, not no I see him going east.

Dragic- Another possibility. I wouldn’t be surprised, but I think he sticks with a class A organization 

Tobias- He could be let go by the Magic, but would a Mini Melo really help the real Melo? He’s bad at D, and would just be a wierd fit. I could see it though if the Knicks are looking to make a move.

That’s a lazy breakdown of what I think of the top FA, and how they would fit. For the most part I think it’s safe to say the Knicks are in it for the long haul. They don’t have a pick next year, so they don’t want to tank, but I just don’t see any reason to throw money at third tare players like Tobias and Moose when they are just going to make things worse. We’ve seen this story with the Knicks before with Isaiah Thomas at the helm, and Knicks fans have to agree, those were the dark days. Even if things get rough, and the MSG crowd boos, they need to stay the course. You have your best player under contract for probably the rest of his career, you’re going to have a top 5 pick to go with him this year, and you have cap flexability. Don’t throw away the chance to be better just to win 30 games this year. That’s how the Knicks of old got stuck in perpetual mediocrity. 

To be honest with you, if the Knicks strike out in FA, and we’ll know it very quickly, I think they seriously need to consider trading Melo. He’s the only chip they have, and the team isn’t going to be good untill, possibly, he’s on the wrong side of 30 making 25$ mil a year. If they can get a team to bite, get a young player and a pick for Melo, why not? Would the Celtics give up Sully/Crowder a Brooklyn Pick and Thier ow pick for Melo? Maybe. Would the Lakers possibly give up Randle/Clarkson and a pick for Melo? I think that would be a good deal for both sides. The Suns Marris/Goodwin and a couple picks? I think these are the type of deals that need to be addressed, because like it’s been reported, after next year it’s going to be a battle royal for free agents, and I don’t think the Knicks will be all that appealing. Who knows though, maybe one of the big FA surprised us, and the Knicks can make it work.

joe2324
      Participant

I agree with you that Melo needs to go if they strike out in free agency. Honestly, I kind of want to to get nothing in FA. Like you said, one player is not going to make an impact when the roster is so poor. Honestly, what could the Knicks expect for Melo? I want draft picks, but I don’t think that is going to happen. Either draft picks or I’d like some solid young talent with potenial. Maybe Aaron Gordon type potential. They need to build through the draft and basically start over. I look at what Golden State has done over the last couple years. They stuck with Curry, picked up Klay Thompson in the draft, moved Monte Ellis, picked up David Lee, drafted Draymond Green and added some nice key veteran pieces.  That is how you build a championship team. It takes time and patience. Sadly, the knicks play in NY and people in NY have zero patience so i’m not really sure what future they have. They seem to mortgage the entire future when they get close to the playoffs and they dump draft picks, thinking they can compete. Another huge problem is the owner. As long as Dolan is in charge, future does not look good at all for the Knicks. 

joe2324
      Participant

I agree with you that Melo needs to go if they strike out in free agency. Honestly, I kind of want to to get nothing in FA. Like you said, one player is not going to make an impact when the roster is so poor. Honestly, what could the Knicks expect for Melo? I want draft picks, but I don’t think that is going to happen. Either draft picks or I’d like some solid young talent with potenial. Maybe Aaron Gordon type potential. They need to build through the draft and basically start over. I look at what Golden State has done over the last couple years. They stuck with Curry, picked up Klay Thompson in the draft, moved Monte Ellis, picked up David Lee, drafted Draymond Green and added some nice key veteran pieces.  That is how you build a championship team. It takes time and patience. Sadly, the knicks play in NY and people in NY have zero patience so i’m not really sure what future they have. They seem to mortgage the entire future when they get close to the playoffs and they dump draft picks, thinking they can compete. Another huge problem is the owner. As long as Dolan is in charge, future does not look good at all for the Knicks. 

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

I’m honestly still super baffled why the Knicks traded JR Smith AND Shumpert for a bag of chips.. whilst also being confused why a lot of people think it was a good trade for the Knicks. 

I get the getting rid of Smith part, but I don’t think he’s on that level of let’s say Josh Smith where no team wants him so you plan to trade him for nothing. Smith’s contract is reasonable and he gives you floor spacing, an attribute every team dies to have.

Now for Shumpert, wasn’t he one of NY’s last valuable assets. There were rumors I think a few years ago hat he could be traded for Faried. Now, he’s traded along with Smith for a second rounder. Phil Jackson’s a good coach but he really F***ed up this trade. He could have gotten A LOT more for Smith and Shumpert but was too impatient to evaluate exactly what he was doing.

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

I’m honestly still super baffled why the Knicks traded JR Smith AND Shumpert for a bag of chips.. whilst also being confused why a lot of people think it was a good trade for the Knicks. 

I get the getting rid of Smith part, but I don’t think he’s on that level of let’s say Josh Smith where no team wants him so you plan to trade him for nothing. Smith’s contract is reasonable and he gives you floor spacing, an attribute every team dies to have.

Now for Shumpert, wasn’t he one of NY’s last valuable assets. There were rumors I think a few years ago hat he could be traded for Faried. Now, he’s traded along with Smith for a second rounder. Phil Jackson’s a good coach but he really F***ed up this trade. He could have gotten A LOT more for Smith and Shumpert but was too impatient to evaluate exactly what he was doing.

Hitster
    Participant

I agree with Roxas the Knicks might have got better deals for Shumpert and J.R Smith. The Cavs moved Waiters in that deal so I thought NY might have tried to get him. Likewise A good defensive big like Tyson Chandler might have fetched more trade value.

The Knicks will be after a load of players but I don’t see Aldridge and Marc Gasol giving up possible 5 year deals unless it was to go to a stronger comtender than their current teams. Greg Monroe looks a fair candidate as a FA.

The Knicks are guaranteed a top 5 pick at worse but really need a top 3 pick to get a possible franchise talent.

Hitster
    Participant

I agree with Roxas the Knicks might have got better deals for Shumpert and J.R Smith. The Cavs moved Waiters in that deal so I thought NY might have tried to get him. Likewise A good defensive big like Tyson Chandler might have fetched more trade value.

The Knicks will be after a load of players but I don’t see Aldridge and Marc Gasol giving up possible 5 year deals unless it was to go to a stronger comtender than their current teams. Greg Monroe looks a fair candidate as a FA.

The Knicks are guaranteed a top 5 pick at worse but really need a top 3 pick to get a possible franchise talent.

Jordo
    Participant

I’m really not seeing the Knicks getting that much better. The East is weak and I’m still not seeing a scenario where the Knicks convince a marquee FA to team up with Melo and who ever they draft. Even IF they do get a big name guy to come, is it enough to make a real playoff run? And not just a first round exit? Another year of melo in his prime wasted?

Jordo
    Participant

I’m really not seeing the Knicks getting that much better. The East is weak and I’m still not seeing a scenario where the Knicks convince a marquee FA to team up with Melo and who ever they draft. Even IF they do get a big name guy to come, is it enough to make a real playoff run? And not just a first round exit? Another year of melo in his prime wasted?

OhCanada-
    Participant

Heading into next year the Knicks only have Melo, Calderon, Early, and Hard a way JR on contract for a little more than 30-Mil. They should resign Shved, Larkin, and Aldrich leaving them with at least $30-$35 Mil to play with and a need of 8 more players to fill the roster. They also have the 2nd pick (as of now) in the 2015 draft.

So let’s say the Knicks end up with about $28 Mil to shop for about 5 players. What’s the plan in NY? Add Monroe and Dragic if possible?

If I were the Knicks I would think about this wisely. Obviously I would target the premiere FA’s but heres some guys I would try to bring over as value free agents.

Moe Williams-FA
    He has proved this year he is one of the leagues most underrated players. Great blend of mental toughness, scoring abillity , and playmaking makes him perfect for the triangle. Exact type of vet needed to play with Melo.

Corey Joseph- RFA
    He has shown with limited freedom he can effectively run the offense in San Antonio and help his team win. If you overpay a bit they will let him go.

Maurice Speights- UFA
    This guy was unstoppable at times early in the year. He got lost on the bench due to the return of some savvy vets at GSW who have better fundamentals and defence yet if he gets an opportunity he should be able to breakout. GSW won’t match a large contract as they paid Klay and have to match Dray.

Edited:Speights has a team option so he isn’t going anywhere.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Heading into next year the Knicks only have Melo, Calderon, Early, and Hard a way JR on contract for a little more than 30-Mil. They should resign Shved, Larkin, and Aldrich leaving them with at least $30-$35 Mil to play with and a need of 8 more players to fill the roster. They also have the 2nd pick (as of now) in the 2015 draft.

So let’s say the Knicks end up with about $28 Mil to shop for about 5 players. What’s the plan in NY? Add Monroe and Dragic if possible?

If I were the Knicks I would think about this wisely. Obviously I would target the premiere FA’s but heres some guys I would try to bring over as value free agents.

Moe Williams-FA
    He has proved this year he is one of the leagues most underrated players. Great blend of mental toughness, scoring abillity , and playmaking makes him perfect for the triangle. Exact type of vet needed to play with Melo.

Corey Joseph- RFA
    He has shown with limited freedom he can effectively run the offense in San Antonio and help his team win. If you overpay a bit they will let him go.

Maurice Speights- UFA
    This guy was unstoppable at times early in the year. He got lost on the bench due to the return of some savvy vets at GSW who have better fundamentals and defence yet if he gets an opportunity he should be able to breakout. GSW won’t match a large contract as they paid Klay and have to match Dray.

Edited:Speights has a team option so he isn’t going anywhere.

roni3
    Participant

Lets say Knicks stay where they are and select Okafor with the 2nd pick. with signing the second pick the knicks should have somewhere in the ball park of $25 million to spend. With Melo and Okafor you will have a good offense but a average to below average defense. The Knicks would be better off trying to get two defensive oriented players; the triangle calls for a really good power forward who can pass and shoot. I love Aldridge but I dont envision him, Carmelo and Okafor working out really well (Towns of the other hand would be perfect). Monroe is a decent option here but his defense is suspect and he only has range only up until about 15-18 ft. Millsap and Draymond Green should be the Knicks main target for the PF spot. They would provide crucial spacing needed for the triangle as well as above average passing and they are both versatile defenders. Even though there are some good PGs such as Dragic, Knight, Rondo and Jackson, they would be better off keeping Calderon for one more year, if they could trade him they should go after Mo Williams or Beverly who would fit perfectly for the triangle (great defender, 3 point specialist, does not need the ball in his hand). They should focus most of their money on the versatile wing player. Throw max money at Leonard and Butler knowing that thir respective teams will definately match. With that in mind the Knicks should target Tobias Harris, Wesley Matthews, Middleton, Caroll in that order. This way they can put any of those guys at either wing position.

PG-Beverly/ Williams, Larkin, SG-Harris/ Matthews/ Middleton/ Caroll, Hardaway Jr., SF-Melo, Early, PF-Millsap/ Green, Acy, C-Okafor, Jason Smith.

If they get lucky and obtain Towns then

Pg-Mo Wiliams, Harkins, Sg-Hardaway Jr, Galloway, Sf-Melo, Early, Pf-Aldridge, Spaights, C-Towns, Antic.

I am in no way saying this will happen, but these should be the type of line ups the Knicks should target both should be somewhat achievable financially especially with trading Calderon and not getting any player back, which would give the knicks about 34-35 millon to spend.

for the first option

Millsap/ Green 13-15 million, Harris/ Matthews/ Middleton/ Caroll 10-13 million should be able to get one of them. Leaving about 7-10 millon left for Mo Williams at $5 million and $3 million for a bench upgrade.

For the Second option

Aldridge at 22 million, 12-13 million to spend on Mo Williams, and obtain Spaights and Antic for possible back ups at a 3-4 millon dollar deal. 

With respect to both option if the Knicks luck out on Lamarcus/ Green/ Millsap (heard Love was opting in for next year) you could pencil the Knicks in to go after Monroe for 13-15 million and Detriot would not match that (Knicks overpayed but it would be worth it).

option 3 being 

pg-Mo, Larkin, Sg-one of the 4 versatile wing players: Harris, Matthews, Caroll and Middleton, Hardaway, Sf-Melo, Early, Pf-Monroe, Acy, C-Towns or Jahlil, Antic or Spaights as backup. 

roni3
    Participant

Lets say Knicks stay where they are and select Okafor with the 2nd pick. with signing the second pick the knicks should have somewhere in the ball park of $25 million to spend. With Melo and Okafor you will have a good offense but a average to below average defense. The Knicks would be better off trying to get two defensive oriented players; the triangle calls for a really good power forward who can pass and shoot. I love Aldridge but I dont envision him, Carmelo and Okafor working out really well (Towns of the other hand would be perfect). Monroe is a decent option here but his defense is suspect and he only has range only up until about 15-18 ft. Millsap and Draymond Green should be the Knicks main target for the PF spot. They would provide crucial spacing needed for the triangle as well as above average passing and they are both versatile defenders. Even though there are some good PGs such as Dragic, Knight, Rondo and Jackson, they would be better off keeping Calderon for one more year, if they could trade him they should go after Mo Williams or Beverly who would fit perfectly for the triangle (great defender, 3 point specialist, does not need the ball in his hand). They should focus most of their money on the versatile wing player. Throw max money at Leonard and Butler knowing that thir respective teams will definately match. With that in mind the Knicks should target Tobias Harris, Wesley Matthews, Middleton, Caroll in that order. This way they can put any of those guys at either wing position.

PG-Beverly/ Williams, Larkin, SG-Harris/ Matthews/ Middleton/ Caroll, Hardaway Jr., SF-Melo, Early, PF-Millsap/ Green, Acy, C-Okafor, Jason Smith.

If they get lucky and obtain Towns then

Pg-Mo Wiliams, Harkins, Sg-Hardaway Jr, Galloway, Sf-Melo, Early, Pf-Aldridge, Spaights, C-Towns, Antic.

I am in no way saying this will happen, but these should be the type of line ups the Knicks should target both should be somewhat achievable financially especially with trading Calderon and not getting any player back, which would give the knicks about 34-35 millon to spend.

for the first option

Millsap/ Green 13-15 million, Harris/ Matthews/ Middleton/ Caroll 10-13 million should be able to get one of them. Leaving about 7-10 millon left for Mo Williams at $5 million and $3 million for a bench upgrade.

For the Second option

Aldridge at 22 million, 12-13 million to spend on Mo Williams, and obtain Spaights and Antic for possible back ups at a 3-4 millon dollar deal. 

With respect to both option if the Knicks luck out on Lamarcus/ Green/ Millsap (heard Love was opting in for next year) you could pencil the Knicks in to go after Monroe for 13-15 million and Detriot would not match that (Knicks overpayed but it would be worth it).

option 3 being 

pg-Mo, Larkin, Sg-one of the 4 versatile wing players: Harris, Matthews, Caroll and Middleton, Hardaway, Sf-Melo, Early, Pf-Monroe, Acy, C-Towns or Jahlil, Antic or Spaights as backup. 

roni3
    Participant

Quick note Speights has a team option, sorry for that just place Bass where Speights is. 

Atl will not be able to resign Caroll for 10-12 million, keep Millsap for 13-15 million and Antic for 3-5 million. -meaning there is a good chance Knicks can steal either Millsap or Caroll. 

Rumors have been swiriling all season that Tobias Harrison wants to go to NYK since he has somewhat of a connection to the east coast, not to mention all the rumors with Monroe going to the Knicks. 

You can bet the Knicks first option is to sign their C they obtain from the draft then focus most of their energy on Aldridge since people are saying he is done being a blazer (small, very small chance Gasol leaves Grizz so no point into accounting for that). After that Knicks should target the versatile wings, Caroll and Tobias seem the most willing to go to the Knicks.

As for point guard the knicks can risk signing Rondo for around 7m or settle for a 3rd tier point guard since point guards are not very important in the triangle. 

roni3
    Participant

Quick note Speights has a team option, sorry for that just place Bass where Speights is. 

Atl will not be able to resign Caroll for 10-12 million, keep Millsap for 13-15 million and Antic for 3-5 million. -meaning there is a good chance Knicks can steal either Millsap or Caroll. 

Rumors have been swiriling all season that Tobias Harrison wants to go to NYK since he has somewhat of a connection to the east coast, not to mention all the rumors with Monroe going to the Knicks. 

You can bet the Knicks first option is to sign their C they obtain from the draft then focus most of their energy on Aldridge since people are saying he is done being a blazer (small, very small chance Gasol leaves Grizz so no point into accounting for that). After that Knicks should target the versatile wings, Caroll and Tobias seem the most willing to go to the Knicks.

As for point guard the knicks can risk signing Rondo for around 7m or settle for a 3rd tier point guard since point guards are not very important in the triangle. 

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

Free agency wise, I’d be targeting one of the max $ bigs and one 3&D SG.

Plan A would be (assuming Gasol is a lock to stay in MEM) prying LaMarcus Aldridge & Wes Matthews to come play together. They’d both fit the offense well, and are solid defenders.

Plan B would be Monroe, if Aldridge is unwilling to come east. & Danny Green/Khris Middleton type wing.

As far as the draft, their big board probably looks something like 1. Towns 2. Okafor 3. Russell/Mudiay 5. Winslow. What pick they get will probably dictate who they make a priority in free agency. If they land a big, they may not be as interested in giving Monroe max $. If they land a guard they’ll probably go harder after a free agent big. If they get unlucky & fall to 5 they may look to trade the pick, or take Winslow and try to convert him to a 2 guard, then double up on bigs in free agency.

Hard to tell what their plan will be before the lotto is settled, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about them landing the biggest fish & making a big leap this upcoming year, even with all the cap flexibility.

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

Free agency wise, I’d be targeting one of the max $ bigs and one 3&D SG.

Plan A would be (assuming Gasol is a lock to stay in MEM) prying LaMarcus Aldridge & Wes Matthews to come play together. They’d both fit the offense well, and are solid defenders.

Plan B would be Monroe, if Aldridge is unwilling to come east. & Danny Green/Khris Middleton type wing.

As far as the draft, their big board probably looks something like 1. Towns 2. Okafor 3. Russell/Mudiay 5. Winslow. What pick they get will probably dictate who they make a priority in free agency. If they land a big, they may not be as interested in giving Monroe max $. If they land a guard they’ll probably go harder after a free agent big. If they get unlucky & fall to 5 they may look to trade the pick, or take Winslow and try to convert him to a 2 guard, then double up on bigs in free agency.

Hard to tell what their plan will be before the lotto is settled, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about them landing the biggest fish & making a big leap this upcoming year, even with all the cap flexibility.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Danny Green is not leaving San Antonio. No one is leaving San Antonio. 

LA isn’t leaving Portland to play with Melo.

Middleton will have tons of more appealing offers Melo will take all his shots away.

As for Monroe and Matthews that may just be the two guys they bring in. If that’s the case 45 losses is not out of the question.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Danny Green is not leaving San Antonio. No one is leaving San Antonio. 

LA isn’t leaving Portland to play with Melo.

Middleton will have tons of more appealing offers Melo will take all his shots away.

As for Monroe and Matthews that may just be the two guys they bring in. If that’s the case 45 losses is not out of the question.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login