This topic contains 25 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar TRC1991 11 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    scootover7
    Participant

Who do you think will be an allstar in the 2012 Draft?  who do you think will be a bust? 

UNCbasketballbum
    Participant

I mean, I’m not going to go out on any limbs here when I say Anthony Davis will be an all-star and Andre Drummond will be a bust.  Drummond has serious red flags with work ethic and love of the game.

ChrisCross
    Participant

kinda hard to say at this point, as some of it depends on where they go.

scootover7
    Participant

true but for fun it would be interesting to think about.  it will be even more interesting after the draft.

Wahoo757
    Participant

Stars: Anthony Davis-not much explanation needed. Already a terror with his shot-blocking ability, and made huge strides offensively last season. His all-around game will develop very nicely, and hopefully he’ll be able to add some weight to bamg around in the paint. Andre Drummomd-a lot of people will put him in the bust category, but I think Drummond can become a star. Guys with his size and athleticism are hard to come by, and I think even though he’s raw he’d be a starting center on a handful of teams right now given the lack of talent at the center position. Give him some good coaching and some continuity (which he really didn’t get at UConn) and his talent will really begin to show itself. Harrison Barnes: Here’s another guy that a lot of people don’t necessarily believe in after a terrible end to his season. He had some inconsistencies this past season, but he’s still only a sophomore in college so I’ll cut him some slack for now. But I have seen flashes of pure brilliance at times, such as the ACC tournament last year. Hopefully he’ll be put on a team with a competent point guard, because if he is, there’s not a doubt in my mind he’ll be the top scorer in this class.
    Busts: Perry Jones III- It really pains me to say this considering he’s a good kid and has had a difficult childhood and all that, but over the course of the season I’ve come to my own determination he’s going to be a bust. He doesn’t play with enough of a motor or enough toughness to be a good player in the NBA. I don’t think we’ll ever see PJIII live up to his full potential. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist-he’s really not a bust persay, but given he’ll be a top 5 pick I don’t think he’ll meet the expectations that come with being a top 5 pick. In the NBA I believe he’ll be a very good defender and not much else. He’s a great competitor and has great toughness, but that can only get you so far offensively. He doesn’t have much handles or a jumpshot to speak of, and he won’t be able to just use his athleticism to score like he did in college. Damian Lillard-This one I’m the least confident about because I’ve watched him play the least, but I’m a little weary of mid-major kids, especially a score first point guard after we saw what happened to Jimmer last year. Damian had a fantastic season last year at Weber State, but I don’t know if his scoring prowess will translate from mid-major to the NBA, and he didn’t have many opportunities to showcase his passing abilities. He’ll probably carve out a role as a good shooter coming off the bench, but I don’t know if he’s going to be a franchise PG teams are looking for in the top 10.

Zeke313
    Participant

Perry Jones is aware of his weaknesses and is taking steps to address them, his future is up to him now he can be a star or a bust, it just depends on how hard he’s willing to work. I personally believe his weaknesses are a bit over-blown but since I’m in the minority, the only thing I can do is just wait patiently and hope he proves me right.

Seamo15
    Participant

I fully agree Zeke313. I’m a big Jones fan, from his freshman year. With the right mentorship he will be able to work past his shortcomings. I’d love to see him play small forward, that’s a far better positions for Hos skill set, better development options there for sure . 

MagikKnick
    Participant

Drummond scares the hell out of me..he has all the physical tools to be great

But is he willing to put an effort into being great? That’s the question..

..I can see him as a bust =/

MagikKnick
    Participant

Drummond scares the hell out of me..he has all the physical tools to be great But is he willing to put an effort into being great? That’s the question.. ..I can see him as a bust =/

EDIT: my bad for double post..

Chrispy
    Participant

I think MKG will be a star, but more in the Gerald Wallace mold: underappreciated by fans but coveted by coaches. He will rebound, play D and score off of hustle plays and transition. That sounds like a good player to me!

Seamo15
    Participant

Love the game is a hard one to obtain. Guys like Drummond aren’t so much guys who were out in the driveway shooting the ball dreaming of being in the NBA. They’re guys who had basketball bodies at a young age and were thrusted into the game by coaches and other influences who think they’ll succeed. I don’t know how you could be overly motivated if you were part of someone else’s plan for you ,rather than your own. 

Drummond, who should go from 4th pick down is a huge risk. Yeah he’s got the body and athleticism, but not the heart and drive. He’s seen as a what could be pick, rather than what he is so I think he could bust. No one else in the top ten really worries me because I think they all have established games to fall back on, and I’m including perry jones in that. 

In terms of Allstars I think there are plenty in the lottery, plus a few gems later on. Davis,Robinson, Jones, MKG and Barnes all have the potential providing things fall on their favor.

Less obvious guys like Sullinger, Moultrie , Quincy Miller and Austin Rivers have a chance too, their games are more suited to the NBA.

Zeke313
    Participant

Speaking of Drummond I saw a workout/ interview of him and it showed him taking simple left handed hook shots. The scary thing is I think he missed one 0_o. If this is his workout regimen then I need to reconsider my opinion of him and his supposed work ethic.

mhawk19
    Participant

Before they are drafted by their teams and crafted for specific roles I have some comparisons.

Off the top I can’t think of a big guy labeled unmotivated who blew up in the league recently or at all for that matter so I have Drummond as a bust.  He’ll have his nights against weak guys but will probably be all around underwhelming.  Thomas Robinson is your next Amare Stoudemire you heard it hear first, I see a 10 and 9 first year.  I see a young Ron Artest without the head issues in MKG, so he’ll take a minute to fit in his 2 or so years but the effort and energy will see him through.  I want Perry Jones to be a Rudy Gay type, all the talent but just didn’t feel free in the college game, but I can’t bet on that one.  But I have two sleeper first year all stars.

Kendall Marshall and Jared Sullinger, quiet as kept they have the most nba ready games.  They might get surpassed by the others later but not out of the gate.

mhawk19
    Participant

You know barnes is the enigmatic one to me.  I think he has mad potential but everyone is pointing out his weaknesses.  But out of the top prospects this dude has one of if not the top work ethics.  Every year of playing he has come back better.  He’s got the midrange game and just needs the handle and some more moves, he’ll get there.  It’s a no for first year all star though, he’ll be in the bust talk but might end up as one the best.

ChrisCross
    Participant

I know a lot of ppl think Drummond will be a bust, but I think at worst he’s more athletic version of Kendrick Perkins, which isn’t bad, but not worthy of top 5, but I could see him being more of a rebounder/shot blocker rather than a franchise player. 

Platypus
    Participant

Bust:

1.Drummond, I hope Charlotte doesnt draft him because for the rest of his career he will be compared to Kwame Brown

2. Perry Jones III, he’s a great athlete, but a tweener and needs to work on skill

3. Meyers Leonard, he’s a 7 footer who’s inconsitent and a flopper

Stars: 

1. Harrison Barnes, he will go to a team that needs scoring and thats what he can bring

2. Thomas Robinson, if he can get a mid range game, he can be David West 2.0

3. Anthony Davis, obvious 

Bench Stars:

1. Draymond Green, energy, energy, and energy. great fundamentals and hard worker

2. Jeffery Taylor, a good defender with a shot. I could see him being like Trevor Ariza was for the Lakers

3. Tyshawn Taylor, has the potential to be a great point guard off the bench 

laarethekings
    Participant

I think Lamb is going to be great. Just does what players don’t do very much anymore… Shoot mid range and move without the ball so well.

Sewok15
    Participant

All Stars Beal + Davis

Busts Henson + Leonard

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I think Davis, MKG, Lamb and Beal will all be excellent players.

I believe Perry Jones and Drummond will not live up to draft day expectations….

This draft is deep, i think there will quite a few players selected outside of the lottery that will exceed expectations – maybe Harkless or Royce White….

omphalos
    Participant

I know I’m going to get killed for this, but here goes:

Stars;

Barnes; much more suited to the pro game, people forget he was playing the PF position for much of HS, so his handles are underdeveloped, but I firmly believe they’ll improve to the point where he can be more effective.

Quincy Miller; declaring early is the best thing that could have happened to him, because it will allow him to be taken by a team with veterans to mentor him and give him more time to rehab his injury. It might take four years or so for Miller to break out, but he’s got a mean streak and competitiveness that you don’t see very often, and that year on the sidelines clearly made him hungry to succeed.

Busts;

Thomas Robinson; gets by on being more athletic than everyone else in college, but won’t have the same advantages in the NBA, and lacks the skill on the low block to compensate for being undersized at the PF.

Perry Jones III; after reading recent interviews and seeing his workouts, he seems determined to play the SF position in the NBA, and he simply doesn’t have the skill-set to play on the perimeter in the pros. I know he wasn’t used well in college, but his refusal to come out and say "I’m a PF and I’m going to work on those skills" is the final straw. Isn’t much of a defender either, which will make his attempts to play the 3 even more disastrous.

Bradley Beal; some team will take a chance on him in the top-5, and they’ll regret it. He’s a great shooter, but if he’s really only 6’3", then I can see him really struggling in the NBA. Yes he’s a hard worker, but he simply doesn’t have the athleticism of an Eric Gordon or the length of a Dwyane Wade to compensate for being undersized at the 2-guard.

Doesn’t meet expectations (for players who simply don’t live up to the hype, but don’t bust either);

Anthony Davis; he was a wonderful college player, but when playing against guys with NBA size he struggled to be effective, both Festus Ezeli and Withey proved you could score on him in the post by just taking it right at him. He’s best served as a help-defender, but I think he’s going to get abused in the block by many NBA PFs for the next few years. He’s being presented as a franchise player, but quite frankly I just don’t see it. I don’t think he’ll ever be a big-time scorer in the NBA, which would prevent him living up to his hype.

Exceeds expectations (again, does better than people expect, but doesn’t become a star):

Andre Drummond; people can complain about a supposed poor work ethic, but he always gives effort defensively, and if they can channel that into both sides of the ball he’s going to be special. He was in a very difficult situation in UConn, with Calhoun missing much of the season, and the guards playing very selfishly. At the very least I can see him being on the same level of Ibaka defensively.

NYK2010
    Participant

I don’t see Anthony Davis living up to scouts predictions of him being better than KG.

He’ll probably be a superstar but not a lock HOF player like KG and Russell.

Basically its a knock on all these crazy expectatins.

Henson, Jones, Zeller, seems like they won’t be stars.

MKG seems like he won’t be a superstar but not a bust.

Its early for this but a good topic to bring up.

PulseGlazer
    Participant

Can we do this after the draft?  MKG or Drummond on Cha are busts… on Cleveland stars.  Star potential exists in the following I’d say:  Davis,  PJ3, Walters, Drummond, MKG, Beal, Walters, Wroten, TRob, Sully (assuming Boozer level is a star) and White.  There are numerous other quality starters here, but those are who I feel can be All Stars.  I love this draft, by the way. 

Sewok15
    Participant

Boozer level is not what I consider a Star…Did you watch him in the playoffs the last two years? It was embarassing. Just because you get paid like a star (Rashard Lewis) does not make you a star.

JoeWolf1

I looks like Damian Lillard is making a case for being a bust, but by no fault of his own.

This draft is so devoid of point guards, he’s being considered as high as 6.  If he is indeed a top 10 pick, expected to be the point guard of the future for some team…he’s going to be a bust.  He’s best suited for a bench role along the lines of a C.J. Watson, or a number of score first combo guards.

I don’t think he’ll suck, but he’s certainly not the point guard to turn the Blazers, Raptors or Hornets around, and if future starters, and all-stars are picked behind Lillard for a team need, then I think he’ll be one of the biggest potential busts of the class.

He’d be a great guy in the 14-18 range, but when you’re grabbing a PG in the top 10, that’s a guy expected to be a future leader and starter for that team.  Lillard is a great college player, with a pro future, but just because they’re are not any real game changing PG’s in this class…that doesn’t mean that guys like Lillard, and Marshall ( who despite being less athletic, I think will be a better pro than Lillard) are top 10 picks.  

Shanetaylor95
    Participant

stars-    davis , drummond ,leonard , wroten ,

busts-   beal , barnes , kendall marshall,

TRC1991
    Participant

I might get killed for this but I love Dion Waiters, he has a dwyane wade type of game, i could see him getting 20 a game for someone

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login