This topic contains 28 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar WizardofOz 12 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    steviechillz
    Participant

WHich players drafted in the second round of the 2011 NBA draft do you guys think will have good NBA careers?

1) Justin Harper: Long SF who can shoot the 3 and has good athleticism.  Don’t be surprised if he becomes a reliable starter in the future, but i think he can be a good 7-8th man on any team

2) Kyle Singler: His stock fell this year, but this guy finds ways to score.  He has good touch and can  be a consistent scoring punch of the bench

3) Shelvin Mack: Tough, strong pg with an impressive build.  The guy’s best potential is a poor-mans Chauncy Billups and i think could be a kyle lowry type player, with a better shooting stroke.

4) Malcolm Lee: Defensive combo guard with lots of offensive potential.  Has good size @ 6’5 and is one of those UCLA guards who could excel in the NBA (Russell Westbrook, Darren Collison)

5) Josh Harrellson: Tough, hardworking foward who played his way to the Draft.  I was surprised to hear his name called on draft night.  He can be a Darius Songalia type player

6) Josh Selby: Guy needs to get his head into the game, but he is lottery type talent if he puts it all together.

Scottoant93
    Participant

Jermey Tyler- I feel he will have a good career, once considered a potential number one pick, If developed the right way he could definately be a gem especially he is changes his attitude

Darius Morris-a good fit for the lakers,  possible derrick fisher replacement

Charles Jenkins- is a player who should thrive in gs if they continue the run and gun style, if not he can still be a good scorer off the bench to ellis or curry

Jordan Williams- He could have a great opportunity in NJ, off the bench and perhaps eventually start if humpries, and if we don’t sign anyone major in FA(such as David West,Nene)

Scottoant93
    Participant

Jermey Tyler- I feel he will have a good career, once considered a potential number one pick, If developed the right way he could definately be a gem especially he is changes his attitude

Darius Morris-a good fit for the lakers,  possible derrick fisher replacement

Charles Jenkins- is a player who should thrive in gs if they continue the run and gun style, if not he can still be a good scorer off the bench to ellis or curry

Jordan Williams- He could have a great opportunity in NJ, off the bench and perhaps eventually start if humpries, and if we don’t sign anyone major in FA(such as David West,Nene)

MagikKnick
    Participant

Nice Topic, Heres Mine:

1. Malcolm Lee – He could stick as a defensive combo-guard, has room to grow..

2. Josh Selby – Hes an athletic quick scorer, he’ll find a role as a Bayless/LouWill

3. Tyler Honeycutt – I like him as a prospect, hes skinny…but he wouldnt be the first skinny NBA player..

4. Darius Morris – If he can get his shot to be decent, he can be a good backup PG

5. Josh Harrellson – Im Bias.

MagikKnick
    Participant

Nice Topic, Heres Mine:

1. Malcolm Lee – He could stick as a defensive combo-guard, has room to grow..

2. Josh Selby – Hes an athletic quick scorer, he’ll find a role as a Bayless/LouWill

3. Tyler Honeycutt – I like him as a prospect, hes skinny…but he wouldnt be the first skinny NBA player..

4. Darius Morris – If he can get his shot to be decent, he can be a good backup PG

5. Josh Harrellson – Im Bias.

Chrispy
    Participant

1) Andrew Goudelock- If Eddie House can be a contributor for a decade why not a better ball handler with deeper range like Goudelock? Plus he isn’t a chubster like House.

2) Selby- Obvious choice because of his physical talents. Will he ever get there mentally?

3) I like Isaiah Thomas- Could be a pace changer of the bench a la Boykins (obviously bigger, but role-wise) or Nate Robinson. He WILL find a squad in the league, maybe not this year or next but soon down the line…

4) Harrellson- Can shoot better than people think (15-17 ft) and is a banger. Far worse bigs have found a solid role in the L before.

Chrispy
    Participant

1) Andrew Goudelock- If Eddie House can be a contributor for a decade why not a better ball handler with deeper range like Goudelock? Plus he isn’t a chubster like House.

2) Selby- Obvious choice because of his physical talents. Will he ever get there mentally?

3) I like Isaiah Thomas- Could be a pace changer of the bench a la Boykins (obviously bigger, but role-wise) or Nate Robinson. He WILL find a squad in the league, maybe not this year or next but soon down the line…

4) Harrellson- Can shoot better than people think (15-17 ft) and is a banger. Far worse bigs have found a solid role in the L before.

JNixon
    Participant

Malcolm Lee has potential as a defensive minded combo guard. He could be a Keyon Dooling-type backup guard.

Darius Morris will have a chance to be a contributor with LA sooner or later. He’s a project, but LA will wait for him at least 2 years.

Trey Thompkins has upside and talent, but he’ll have to earn whatever time he gets, playing behind Blake Griffin. He is a true lottery talent, and he fell after testing out and having high body fat and after a mediocre season. Many don’t realize that his struggled some as a Jr. due to an ankle injury though. He’ll have to be patient, but the talent is there.

JNixon
    Participant

Malcolm Lee has potential as a defensive minded combo guard. He could be a Keyon Dooling-type backup guard.

Darius Morris will have a chance to be a contributor with LA sooner or later. He’s a project, but LA will wait for him at least 2 years.

Trey Thompkins has upside and talent, but he’ll have to earn whatever time he gets, playing behind Blake Griffin. He is a true lottery talent, and he fell after testing out and having high body fat and after a mediocre season. Many don’t realize that his struggled some as a Jr. due to an ankle injury though. He’ll have to be patient, but the talent is there.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Darius Morris- Great size and willing passer at the point guard position is a rare commodity.

Travis Leslie- Jumps out of the gym and has a developing offensive game. If he commits on defensive ends he could stick around league for a while.

Josh Selby- One bad year at Kansas after having to sit first eight games and having a stress fracture in his foot put him in second round, but he’s certainly 1st round talent.  

Trey Thompkins- A big that can come off the bench and stretch the floor for Clippers is exactly what they need

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Darius Morris- Great size and willing passer at the point guard position is a rare commodity.

Travis Leslie- Jumps out of the gym and has a developing offensive game. If he commits on defensive ends he could stick around league for a while.

Josh Selby- One bad year at Kansas after having to sit first eight games and having a stress fracture in his foot put him in second round, but he’s certainly 1st round talent.  

Trey Thompkins- A big that can come off the bench and stretch the floor for Clippers is exactly what they need

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

"6) Josh Selby: Guy needs to get his head into the game, but he is lottery type talent if he puts it all together."

What part of his being unquestionably bad at the highest level of basketball he has played at makes him a lottery talent? It really doesn’t matter what a guy does against makeshift pickup game defenses in the AAU, workouts, and unorganized pro-am summer leagues. There is no coaching, scouting, schemes, or roles. He went to Kansas and bombed. That showed he was not a lottery talent.

"3) Shelvin Mack: Tough, strong pg with an impressive build. The guy’s best potential is a poor-mans Chauncy Billups and i think could be a kyle lowry type player, with a better shooting stroke."

He might have a career, but no Chauncey Billups’s career. Not even close.

"4) Malcolm Lee: Defensive combo guard with lots of offensive potential. Has good size @ 6’5 and is one of those UCLA guards who could excel in the NBA (Russell Westbrook, Darren Collison)"

Russell Westbrook and Darren Collison were on very good UCLA teams. Malcolm Lee was the leader on mediocre, underachieving UCLA teams.

"5) Josh Harrellson: Tough, hardworking foward who played his way to the Draft. I was surprised to hear his name called on draft night. He can be a Darius Songalia type player"

Songaila has not had a bad career, and his skill level was often overlooked. Not to mention the fact that Songaila was a stud at Wake Forest. Harrellson is a big body. If he makes the Knicks, he is going to be between the 13th and 15th man on the roster for as long as he is there.

"2) Kyle Singler: His stock fell this year, but this guy finds ways to score. He has good touch and can be a consistent scoring punch of the bench"

Nothing like that good 40 percent in the ACC touch.

My list:

1) Trey Thompkins- When was the last time Kurt Thomas was under 15 percent body fat? ZBo? How about, what did teams learn from the fact that Marc Gasol, DeJuan Blair, and Glen Davis slipped to the 2nd round because of less than impressive bodies?  Plus, the situation helps. The Clippers don’t pay for backups, and especially if they deal Kaman for a small forward there is a really good chance he gets 25-30 minutes as a rookie. He is already a smarter and more polished player than DeAndre Jordan, even with Vinny Del Genius running the show it shouldn’t take long for him to realize empty shot blockers don’t help teams.

2) DeAndre Liggins- I’m scared to love an Otis Smith pick, but I love it. He is the most NBA-ready defensive stopper in the 2011 Draft, and J.J. Redick can’t guard a single shooting guard in that division. 

3) Jordan Williams- All Kris Humphries did well was rebound. Williams is just as good of a rebounder. If Humphries leaves, Williams can step in and basically not miss a beat. It would be nice if he ever passed the ball though. It might be something to consider working on.

4) Charles Jenkins- It will take a bit of patience because there really isn’t a ton of minutes behind Curry and Ellis, though if they start trying to play defense who knows. Still, he is long-term value worth waiting on with him. 

5a) Darius Morris- They’ll basically redshirt him for a year, but that is a good thing. The reason for him to return to Michigan was to learn to shoot and cut down on the turnovers, but those are things that can be worked on when he gets sent to the D-Fenders. I like the long-term value of a big pass-first point.

5b) E’Twaun Moore- The Celtics needed cheap back of the roster bodies who wouldn’t be deficiencies if they needed to get on the court (i.e. Bradley, Harangody, and Erden). Moore (as well as JaJuan Johnson) are guys who can mentally play at a higher level (a contending level) than most any other rookies they could have taken.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

"6) Josh Selby: Guy needs to get his head into the game, but he is lottery type talent if he puts it all together."

What part of his being unquestionably bad at the highest level of basketball he has played at makes him a lottery talent? It really doesn’t matter what a guy does against makeshift pickup game defenses in the AAU, workouts, and unorganized pro-am summer leagues. There is no coaching, scouting, schemes, or roles. He went to Kansas and bombed. That showed he was not a lottery talent.

"3) Shelvin Mack: Tough, strong pg with an impressive build. The guy’s best potential is a poor-mans Chauncy Billups and i think could be a kyle lowry type player, with a better shooting stroke."

He might have a career, but no Chauncey Billups’s career. Not even close.

"4) Malcolm Lee: Defensive combo guard with lots of offensive potential. Has good size @ 6’5 and is one of those UCLA guards who could excel in the NBA (Russell Westbrook, Darren Collison)"

Russell Westbrook and Darren Collison were on very good UCLA teams. Malcolm Lee was the leader on mediocre, underachieving UCLA teams.

"5) Josh Harrellson: Tough, hardworking foward who played his way to the Draft. I was surprised to hear his name called on draft night. He can be a Darius Songalia type player"

Songaila has not had a bad career, and his skill level was often overlooked. Not to mention the fact that Songaila was a stud at Wake Forest. Harrellson is a big body. If he makes the Knicks, he is going to be between the 13th and 15th man on the roster for as long as he is there.

"2) Kyle Singler: His stock fell this year, but this guy finds ways to score. He has good touch and can be a consistent scoring punch of the bench"

Nothing like that good 40 percent in the ACC touch.

My list:

1) Trey Thompkins- When was the last time Kurt Thomas was under 15 percent body fat? ZBo? How about, what did teams learn from the fact that Marc Gasol, DeJuan Blair, and Glen Davis slipped to the 2nd round because of less than impressive bodies?  Plus, the situation helps. The Clippers don’t pay for backups, and especially if they deal Kaman for a small forward there is a really good chance he gets 25-30 minutes as a rookie. He is already a smarter and more polished player than DeAndre Jordan, even with Vinny Del Genius running the show it shouldn’t take long for him to realize empty shot blockers don’t help teams.

2) DeAndre Liggins- I’m scared to love an Otis Smith pick, but I love it. He is the most NBA-ready defensive stopper in the 2011 Draft, and J.J. Redick can’t guard a single shooting guard in that division. 

3) Jordan Williams- All Kris Humphries did well was rebound. Williams is just as good of a rebounder. If Humphries leaves, Williams can step in and basically not miss a beat. It would be nice if he ever passed the ball though. It might be something to consider working on.

4) Charles Jenkins- It will take a bit of patience because there really isn’t a ton of minutes behind Curry and Ellis, though if they start trying to play defense who knows. Still, he is long-term value worth waiting on with him. 

5a) Darius Morris- They’ll basically redshirt him for a year, but that is a good thing. The reason for him to return to Michigan was to learn to shoot and cut down on the turnovers, but those are things that can be worked on when he gets sent to the D-Fenders. I like the long-term value of a big pass-first point.

5b) E’Twaun Moore- The Celtics needed cheap back of the roster bodies who wouldn’t be deficiencies if they needed to get on the court (i.e. Bradley, Harangody, and Erden). Moore (as well as JaJuan Johnson) are guys who can mentally play at a higher level (a contending level) than most any other rookies they could have taken.

iguapops420
    Participant

Darius Morris reminds me of Jason Kidd for the MAvs minus the spot up shot. His passing is more creative than Kidd at this point(38 yr old kidd not 20yr old-35yr old). I definitely seeing him as a steal at some point. Parsons could be nice. I’m expecting Bertans to become quite a shooter in a couple years.

iguapops420
    Participant

Darius Morris reminds me of Jason Kidd for the MAvs minus the spot up shot. His passing is more creative than Kidd at this point(38 yr old kidd not 20yr old-35yr old). I definitely seeing him as a steal at some point. Parsons could be nice. I’m expecting Bertans to become quite a shooter in a couple years.

Grovesinternational
    Participant

Darius Morris- Great size for a point guard, good and willing passer, willing to use his size and is a smart player

Jeremy Tyler- It’s a gut feeling, he has all the physical tools to be great, projected top 5 player a few years ago before going overseas. i get the feeling that going overseas has improved his maturity and increased his work ethic…

Josh Harrellson- Tough with NBA bulk, a sizeable frame (6’10") with broad shoulders, showed great work ethic to play his way into the draft and to be a solid contributor for Kentucky. Plays within his abilities and sticks to his role and plays for a new york knicks team that needs bigs, so he should be able to get more NBA minutes than many second rounders will see.

Malcolm Lee- Big Defensive point guard, with offensive potential and he played for UCLA which gives me strange fuzzy feelings..

Tyler Honeycutt- Potential, Potential, Potential… okay now the evil word is out of the way, he can block shots extremely well for a SF and he played for the bruins.. those same warm fuzzy bruins as malcolm lee

Vernon Macklin- Big Guy, 7’4" wingspan, playing in Detroit, not afraid to use his body, finishes well below at the rim, good defender in the post. development of a jumpshot or some counter moves in the post should earn him a career of sorts.

Travis Leslie- Athletic, and can defend (assuming he can be bothered to do so), with offensive development he should sick around

Jordan Williams- Big, Rebounds well and is Strong

Shelvin Mack- Tough, Strong Pg, with a good shot who has proven to be a good team player

Trey Thompkins- great post skill, first round talent

So thats like 10 players… i got carried away… i do love second round scouting/looking for steals. i hope they all have good careers. and i hope to never have a Tanguy Ngombo sighting in the NBA, ever

Grovesinternational
    Participant

Darius Morris- Great size for a point guard, good and willing passer, willing to use his size and is a smart player

Jeremy Tyler- It’s a gut feeling, he has all the physical tools to be great, projected top 5 player a few years ago before going overseas. i get the feeling that going overseas has improved his maturity and increased his work ethic…

Josh Harrellson- Tough with NBA bulk, a sizeable frame (6’10") with broad shoulders, showed great work ethic to play his way into the draft and to be a solid contributor for Kentucky. Plays within his abilities and sticks to his role and plays for a new york knicks team that needs bigs, so he should be able to get more NBA minutes than many second rounders will see.

Malcolm Lee- Big Defensive point guard, with offensive potential and he played for UCLA which gives me strange fuzzy feelings..

Tyler Honeycutt- Potential, Potential, Potential… okay now the evil word is out of the way, he can block shots extremely well for a SF and he played for the bruins.. those same warm fuzzy bruins as malcolm lee

Vernon Macklin- Big Guy, 7’4" wingspan, playing in Detroit, not afraid to use his body, finishes well below at the rim, good defender in the post. development of a jumpshot or some counter moves in the post should earn him a career of sorts.

Travis Leslie- Athletic, and can defend (assuming he can be bothered to do so), with offensive development he should sick around

Jordan Williams- Big, Rebounds well and is Strong

Shelvin Mack- Tough, Strong Pg, with a good shot who has proven to be a good team player

Trey Thompkins- great post skill, first round talent

So thats like 10 players… i got carried away… i do love second round scouting/looking for steals. i hope they all have good careers. and i hope to never have a Tanguy Ngombo sighting in the NBA, ever

Andrew1984
    Participant

I will go so far as to say I think Shelvin Mack will end up being one of the best 10 players from this draft. I kind of hate this, "A poor man’s (insert All-Star’s name here)" cliche. Shelvin Mack is not "A poor man’s Chauncey Billups." Shelvin Mack will be a man with an average income’s Chauncey Billups.

Andrew1984
    Participant

I will go so far as to say I think Shelvin Mack will end up being one of the best 10 players from this draft. I kind of hate this, "A poor man’s (insert All-Star’s name here)" cliche. Shelvin Mack is not "A poor man’s Chauncey Billups." Shelvin Mack will be a man with an average income’s Chauncey Billups.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

Chandler Parson – Excellent skill set for a 6’10 SF. Does a little of everything.

Keith Benson – Should be shot blocking specialist off the bench, and with added weight + strength could eventually work himself into a starting center.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

Chandler Parson – Excellent skill set for a 6’10 SF. Does a little of everything.

Keith Benson – Should be shot blocking specialist off the bench, and with added weight + strength could eventually work himself into a starting center.

JNixon
    Participant

Shelvin Mack is literally nowhere near as good as Chauncey Billups

JNixon
    Participant

Shelvin Mack is literally nowhere near as good as Chauncey Billups

M-DYMES
    Participant

Yall are crazy comparing Mack to Billups IMO.  (working on respecting other’s opinions lol)

Billups is one of the best leaders in the league.  Has a very solid post game (haven’t seen that from Mack).  The only true similarities are height and shooting ability, and if you wanna hype up Mack’s D for some reason, i guess you can throw that in too.

Billups is a complete player.  I have yet to see that from Mack. 

M-DYMES
    Participant

Yall are crazy comparing Mack to Billups IMO.  (working on respecting other’s opinions lol)

Billups is one of the best leaders in the league.  Has a very solid post game (haven’t seen that from Mack).  The only true similarities are height and shooting ability, and if you wanna hype up Mack’s D for some reason, i guess you can throw that in too.

Billups is a complete player.  I have yet to see that from Mack. 

iguapops420
    Participant

Absolutely hate the Mack Chauncey comp. Mack to me is like a smaller Dominique Jones for the Mavs.

iguapops420
    Participant

Absolutely hate the Mack Chauncey comp. Mack to me is like a smaller Dominique Jones for the Mavs.

WizardofOz
    Participant

I’ve barely seen Mack play, but many say he isn’t a true PG. I just hope he gets near Billups’ level, because my Wiuz drafted him even though I thought there were better prospects still available.

WizardofOz
    Participant

I’ve barely seen Mack play, but many say he isn’t a true PG. I just hope he gets near Billups’ level, because my Wiuz drafted him even though I thought there were better prospects still available.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login