This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Spurs2020 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Spurs2020
    Participant

Spurs are the first team to 20 wins this year at 20-3. Can they catch the 95-96 bulls for the greatest record of all time?

http://espn.go.com/nba/features/best

95-96 bulls through 23 games were 21-2 finished at 72-10

96-97 bulls were tied at 20-3 and finished at 69-13 for the 2nd best record ever

72-73 Celitcs were also tied at 20-3 and finished at 68-14 for the 4th best 82 game record

Can the spurs do it? People will say no because no one every takes the spurs seriously until they already the champtionship… haters will throw out "too old" and injuries won’t let them…. not if they playing like they did today against the blazers… and keeping the big 3’s minutes as close to 30 as possible….

not saying it will happen… but they are on track 1/4 through the season

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

If healthy, yes they can easily win 70 games.
    Parker, Ginobili, Duncan are all healthy and are playing as a team as they have for the last 10 years.
    Jefferson found his offense in the system. Blair is rebounding how he’s supposed to. And not the mention the fact at how deep they are.

George Hill, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess, Gary Neal, James Anderson, Tiago Splitter, Alonzo Gee
    All players who try hard on defensive and scoring comes easily for them.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

If healthy, yes they can easily win 70 games.
    Parker, Ginobili, Duncan are all healthy and are playing as a team as they have for the last 10 years.
    Jefferson found his offense in the system. Blair is rebounding how he’s supposed to. And not the mention the fact at how deep they are.

George Hill, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess, Gary Neal, James Anderson, Tiago Splitter, Alonzo Gee
    All players who try hard on defensive and scoring comes easily for them.

gone
    Participant

Gee is with the Wizards

gone
    Participant

Gee is with the Wizards

JRdaFilipino
    Participant

Doubt it, this is a team with a lot of great players but none of them are at the superstar status I believe a team needs to win 70 games in a season (tony, manu, timmy are all past their prime IMO) the detroit pistons with billups, rip, prince, big ben and sheed for example.. were that kinda team. the bulls had Jordan in his prime, not to mention pippen.. and the team that has come closet (1971-2 Lakers) also had the start power with jerry west, wilt chamberlain and co. this spur team is really good, but to think they can win 70 games in a season? I highly doubt that

Spurs2020
      Participant

Duncan is surely past his prime…..

But Parker and Ginobili? 

Parker is having a career assist, fg%, and steals year, his scoring was down last yr due to injuries, and this year because of increased scoring from jefferson and others…. additionally, looking at gamelogs he has consistenly outplayed opposing pgs including chris paul and deron williams in head to head matchups

Ginobili is having a career year in points, assist, steals, ft%, and is #3 in the league in 3pt fgs made despite only gettin 33 mpg, on top of that, (when they were 17-3, not sure how much its changed) he had the 5th best PER in league

so how are these 2 over the hill?

There will never be another Jordan, who could simply lead and power a team to 72-10 the way he did….

So maybe the team with the next best shot is one without a "superstar" who puts up large numbers, because that means every off game he has is a MUCH greater risk for a loss

The spurs are spreading the ball and shots so well that they effectively diversifying their risk, a few players can be off, but their losses are only going to occur when ALL players are off (this is what has been the case with the 3 so far)…. this explains why teams generally hang with the spurs for a a couple of quarters, and then all of the sudden they fall out and the spurs win by 10…. teams simply havent been able to play at their level of performance for 4 qtrs becuase they are led by too few players, who inevtiably hit their cold steak… this is a team brilliantly engineered by pop and has been in the making for a few years now…. as a spurs fan, this is the most excited ive ever been about them including 2003 (60-22)

JRdaFilipino
    Participant

Doubt it, this is a team with a lot of great players but none of them are at the superstar status I believe a team needs to win 70 games in a season (tony, manu, timmy are all past their prime IMO) the detroit pistons with billups, rip, prince, big ben and sheed for example.. were that kinda team. the bulls had Jordan in his prime, not to mention pippen.. and the team that has come closet (1971-2 Lakers) also had the start power with jerry west, wilt chamberlain and co. this spur team is really good, but to think they can win 70 games in a season? I highly doubt that

Spurs2020
      Participant

Duncan is surely past his prime…..

But Parker and Ginobili? 

Parker is having a career assist, fg%, and steals year, his scoring was down last yr due to injuries, and this year because of increased scoring from jefferson and others…. additionally, looking at gamelogs he has consistenly outplayed opposing pgs including chris paul and deron williams in head to head matchups

Ginobili is having a career year in points, assist, steals, ft%, and is #3 in the league in 3pt fgs made despite only gettin 33 mpg, on top of that, (when they were 17-3, not sure how much its changed) he had the 5th best PER in league

so how are these 2 over the hill?

There will never be another Jordan, who could simply lead and power a team to 72-10 the way he did….

So maybe the team with the next best shot is one without a "superstar" who puts up large numbers, because that means every off game he has is a MUCH greater risk for a loss

The spurs are spreading the ball and shots so well that they effectively diversifying their risk, a few players can be off, but their losses are only going to occur when ALL players are off (this is what has been the case with the 3 so far)…. this explains why teams generally hang with the spurs for a a couple of quarters, and then all of the sudden they fall out and the spurs win by 10…. teams simply havent been able to play at their level of performance for 4 qtrs becuase they are led by too few players, who inevtiably hit their cold steak… this is a team brilliantly engineered by pop and has been in the making for a few years now…. as a spurs fan, this is the most excited ive ever been about them including 2003 (60-22)

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

jrdafilapino

What you’re missing out on is that the core of this team has been together for over 10 years!  Billups, Rip, Wallaces, Prince weren’t together for anywhere near 10 years.  Neither were West and Chamberlain.

This team has something more than star power, and it’s about 10 years of chemistry

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

jrdafilapino

What you’re missing out on is that the core of this team has been together for over 10 years!  Billups, Rip, Wallaces, Prince weren’t together for anywhere near 10 years.  Neither were West and Chamberlain.

This team has something more than star power, and it’s about 10 years of chemistry

llperez

doubt it. They still have to play miami twice who are now clicking it seems. The lakers 4 times who are supposed to get bynum back on tuesday. The celtics twice. Dallas 3 more times who have already beaten the spurs. Its hard to get to 65 wins let alone 72 for anyone.

llperez

doubt it. They still have to play miami twice who are now clicking it seems. The lakers 4 times who are supposed to get bynum back on tuesday. The celtics twice. Dallas 3 more times who have already beaten the spurs. Its hard to get to 65 wins let alone 72 for anyone.

The Squirrelyq
    Participant

The Spurs will start resting Duncan and Ginobili (even holding them out of some games) more and more as the season goes on so that 1. they will be health for the playoffs and 2. they can give younger players experience. The Spurs have a ton of experience in the playoffs, I doubt seeding, much less win total matters to them at all as long as they make the playoffs

The Squirrelyq
    Participant

The Spurs will start resting Duncan and Ginobili (even holding them out of some games) more and more as the season goes on so that 1. they will be health for the playoffs and 2. they can give younger players experience. The Spurs have a ton of experience in the playoffs, I doubt seeding, much less win total matters to them at all as long as they make the playoffs

balla619
    Participant

70 wins that would be crazy, 60 I could see if they didn’t rest their players.

We’ll find out if they are a 70 win team based on how they play the rest of the month.

They have the Lakers, Denver twice, Orlando and Dallas if they finish the month 8-1 I’d say they have a real shot at 70.  They’d be 28-4 and on a pace to win 72.

I’d say the Mavs have a better shot at 70 since they have faced a lot of the better teams in the league, are just 1 game behind the Spurs.  Also they won 55 games last year as well.

balla619
    Participant

70 wins that would be crazy, 60 I could see if they didn’t rest their players.

We’ll find out if they are a 70 win team based on how they play the rest of the month.

They have the Lakers, Denver twice, Orlando and Dallas if they finish the month 8-1 I’d say they have a real shot at 70.  They’d be 28-4 and on a pace to win 72.

I’d say the Mavs have a better shot at 70 since they have faced a lot of the better teams in the league, are just 1 game behind the Spurs.  Also they won 55 games last year as well.

JRdaFilipino
    Participant

Tongue-Out-Like-23

See: Utah Jazz early 90s- late 90s. Im not saying that the spurs dont have great chemistry because I know that they do, but chemistry alone wont get you to 70 games. Look at Stockton Malone and co. They had some pretty good chemistry dont you think.. yet no champion ships, no 70 game seasons which is what this topic is about. 

and spurs 2020. i see your argument in stating parker and ginobilis statistics…but despite each of them averaging career highs, i think its safe to say neither are individually as good as they were say 2 or 3 years ago. stats dont always tell the whole story. both are playing great now i do admit but neither are as good as they were years earlier . parker may still be in his prime but ginobili back in the 07-08 season when he was the NBAs 6th man award winner.. boy was he something special. ginobilis game now is less flair but way better shooting. its just my opinion that although ginobili is smarter, he isnt better than he was back then.

and llperez.. idk if you gonna see this. and i know its long past due… i was very, very wrong about landry fields and i do give you that. im from NY and am ecstatic about the Knicks improvement, largely in part to the play of Fields. the only thing that makes me feel a little bit better about this is that i was one of the many who doubted and am now apart of the majority of basketball fans who are feeling very dumb at the success of fields. i, including thousands of others were wrong, but you gotta admit even ur a little surprised at how well he is doing lol

JRdaFilipino
    Participant

Tongue-Out-Like-23

See: Utah Jazz early 90s- late 90s. Im not saying that the spurs dont have great chemistry because I know that they do, but chemistry alone wont get you to 70 games. Look at Stockton Malone and co. They had some pretty good chemistry dont you think.. yet no champion ships, no 70 game seasons which is what this topic is about. 

and spurs 2020. i see your argument in stating parker and ginobilis statistics…but despite each of them averaging career highs, i think its safe to say neither are individually as good as they were say 2 or 3 years ago. stats dont always tell the whole story. both are playing great now i do admit but neither are as good as they were years earlier . parker may still be in his prime but ginobili back in the 07-08 season when he was the NBAs 6th man award winner.. boy was he something special. ginobilis game now is less flair but way better shooting. its just my opinion that although ginobili is smarter, he isnt better than he was back then.

and llperez.. idk if you gonna see this. and i know its long past due… i was very, very wrong about landry fields and i do give you that. im from NY and am ecstatic about the Knicks improvement, largely in part to the play of Fields. the only thing that makes me feel a little bit better about this is that i was one of the many who doubted and am now apart of the majority of basketball fans who are feeling very dumb at the success of fields. i, including thousands of others were wrong, but you gotta admit even ur a little surprised at how well he is doing lol

mj23mj23bestever
    Participant

the spurs are my fav nba team i love big fun but as mentioned they will start resting duncan parker and manu more too have them rested for the play offs so i dont think theyll get to 70

mj23mj23bestever
    Participant

the spurs are my fav nba team i love big fun but as mentioned they will start resting duncan parker and manu more too have them rested for the play offs so i dont think theyll get to 70

Spurs2020
    Participant

the only real barrier I see is pop resting guys for the playoffs…. normally, I would say no way, just for that reason, but right now the big 3 are all logging close to 30 mins a game, and to be honest, they already look like they are on autopilot… 

I’m not saying its going to happen, especially since we know the spurs don’t care about setting that record…. but their play has been eye opening…. i only see them getting better as it looks like george hill and blair are catching their stride, and as tiago splitter improves they will be less succeptable to athletic bigs.

Spurs2020
    Participant

the only real barrier I see is pop resting guys for the playoffs…. normally, I would say no way, just for that reason, but right now the big 3 are all logging close to 30 mins a game, and to be honest, they already look like they are on autopilot… 

I’m not saying its going to happen, especially since we know the spurs don’t care about setting that record…. but their play has been eye opening…. i only see them getting better as it looks like george hill and blair are catching their stride, and as tiago splitter improves they will be less succeptable to athletic bigs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login