This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar The lake show2 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    jjonz
    Participant

ESPN has Monroe as the 2nd Pick. Do you guys thinks shouldbe the Case, And what happens with the 3rd pick.

lalaila
    Participant

no why..i like Monroe especially i’m surprised how well he rebounds but c’mon DeMarcus is going to be somewhere from multiple allstar to franchise player.  

Chewy
    Participant

1. Jon Wall- Easy Choice 2. Demarcus Cousins- He has the potential for huge breakout games that the other bigs don’t have 3. Evan Turner- This is a pick of faith more than anything. I think he will adjust to the NBA game eventually and be a consistant starting 2 and team guy 4. Landry Fields- out of all the freak athletes and shooters on the wing, it was Fields that had the breakout rookie year. He is a great glue guy that would work well with a team that already has stars (like the Knicks). Plus his rebounding ability for his size is amazing. 5. Greg Monroe/ Paul George- Playing w/ shoot first guards on a bad team hurts Monroe a little bit, but he is a solid post with good passing ability. George, who is also on a terrible team, is finally getting consistant minutes near the end of the season and looks good. People are saying his shot is a lot better than expected.

sammybuckeye13
    Participant

The argument for Monroe: Has improved considerably every month (10.9-8.9-1.7 steals in Jan, 12.4-8.8-0.9 in Feb, 14.2-9.9-1.4 in March), he’s actually younger than Cousins, he has none of Cousins baggage, he’s a better defender, shoots a full 10% better from the field, PER is considerably higher, knows his position, has great underrated upside (look how his stats have ballooned), he’s an excellent passer for his size, does not need the ball to be effective.

jjonz
    Participant

plus he’s from John Thompson University of Big Men. Ewing/Dikembe/Mourning/Othella Harrington ok ok i stretched it a bit on that last one but you get the point. Teams love big men that can pass. And Monroe has an aptitude to learn admist all of the garbage surrounding him in the Detroit. 

ghettosermon
    Participant

If I’m looking for a potential go to scorer than obviously I take Cousins. But if I already have a good roster in place and am looking for a solid #3 I’ll go with Monroe. Cousins is a guy who sells you tickets, puts up stats, and makes allstar teams. Guys like Monroe win you championships. Cousins shot selection can be absolutely horrid at times and his motor is so inconsistent. Monroe will bring you solid play every night and won’t try to do things beyond his limits like Cousins frequently does.

sacphil_08
    Participant

cousins is SOOOO much better than monroe and has SOOOO much more potential than monroe thats its not even funny… you guys sound like ESPN talking about cousins come on now

sacphil_08
    Participant

cousins is also a rookie… his ceiling is much higher than monroe’s and cousins is a big you build around. monroe wins you championships?? really? hes soft as baby tissue which is why the kings didnt draft him. he doesnt have a go to player mentality, he didnt even have that while at georgetown. sure cousins can be immature at times but thats all you got. he gets a little older and that will go away and he’ll be killing your team every night like he has shown so many times that he can. put it this way; hes averaging damn near 15 and 10 getting inconsistent minutes, being in and out of the starting lineup and having a bunch of "rookie games" as a full time starter he could easily be an 18-20 ppg and 10 or 11 rpg player. not to mention he could get a lot of assists and i wouldnt be so quick to say that monroe is a much better passer. cousins can pass damn good also. that would be like splitting hairs, so try again all you cousins haters

BasketBalAllan
    Participant
    1.     Monroe is not younger than Cousins. Monroe was born June 4, 1990. Cousins was born August 13, 1990. 

2.     Cousins has also improved every month he has been in the NBA. (pts, reb, ast, stls, blks)
    December: 12.2, 8.8, 2.0, 0.6, 0.69
    January: 17.2, 7.8, 2.5, 1.1, 1.0
    February: 14.1, 10.2, 2.2, 1.2, 1.1
    March: 21.0, 11.6, 4.2, 1.8, 1.4

3.      These next three assessments were correct, Monroe does not have Cousins “baggage”, He does have a better fg%, and he is better defensively.

4.      You are also correct in saying that Monroe has a higher PER than Cousins, but Ed Davis has a higher PER than John Wall, so I wouldn’t exactly put much stock in PER.

5.      Cousins knows his position as well.

6.      Cousins has great upside as well.

7.      Cousins is an excellent passer as well.

8.      Monroe may not need the ball to be effective but Cousins presence on the court calls for attention at all times, meaning that he will draw defenders away so that others can be more effective.

9.      Cousins has the ability to dominate the floor against even the best teams, which we have seen multiple times this year, as recently as the last Jazz vs. Kings game.

10.   Cousins is the focus of the opponents defense every game. He has to deal with being doubled almost every single possession.

The real reason why ESPN had Monroe over Cousins is because David Thorpe hates to give Cousins the credit he deserves. In Thorpe’s last rookie rankings he kept Cousins at fourth because the only time he has watched him play rescently was when Cousins had a bad game against the best center in the NBA, Dwight Howard. He completely ignored the fact that in the following three games Cousins averaged 22 pts, 13.3 reb, 4.6 asts, 1.7 blks, 1.7 stls, and only 2 turnovers a game against 3 good teams. Cousins has only moved above fourth once in Thrope’s rankings and that was when Cousins had three monster games against the Lakers, Hornets, and Celtics, winning two out of the three. Some people just do not like Cousins, and it will take much more effort for Cousins to prove himself to them than it takes for almost any other player.

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible” –St. Thomas Aquinas

kngojc
    Participant

All that is correct but Cousins won’t get nearly enough touches to be what he really could be. What use is loads of potential when you are having to share any kind of spotlight with the last years ROY? Evans is going to want to take the big shots, Evans is going to be getting the ball at the top of the key down one point and under a minute to go, Evans is the athletic freak that you want to build something around. While I really like Cousins and what he COULD be, I just don’t see him fulfilling all his potential (I see him possibly being as dominant as Shaq) because there’s someone else who commands the ball.

Now if Evans could take a smaller role and accept that Cousins could be one of the best teammates for him (rebound all his misses, draw intention to the inside so that Evans can shoot outside or even drive and dish, and provide a definite scorer when he’s having an off game), I think that the pairing of Evans and Cousins could be something bigger than most anyone would be expecting, taking the West by storm if they add one more solid piece in this years draft (someone like Brandon Knight?).

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

I can understand the idea behind Monroe being the second most valuable prospect from the 2010 Draft. As bleek as the Pistons outlook can appear now, a team can do much worse than go forward with 6′ 11" Greg Monroe and 6′ 10" Jonas Jerebko. They have two young hardworking guys with intelligence, skills, and size. The big picture problem they have it that as a team they don’t pass the ball well, and for the past month or so have gotten little in the way of defense from anyone who has been in the league for more than a year. Those guys are just going through the motions. Monroe and McGrady are their best passers. McGrady is as good as gone, so hopefully they have come to the realization they need a point guard. Stuckey is a combo guard off the bench, they ought to be smart enough to not pay him as anything more than that. Kuester has to go. It isn’t an X and Os thing, but he lost the vets. Monroe and Jerebko are saving graces because teams can go years searching the lottery for a guy like Monroe (hello Seattle and Golden State) and a keeper of that size is always good to have from the second round.

Cousins is a tremendous talent, but he is high maintenance. He needs touches, and he wants points. I like having a guy like Monroe who doesn’t appear driven by numbers. It is kind of the reason I have always liked Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, and the guys on the Spurs. The numbers don’t mean a whole lot. Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol are elite talents, but they give up touches and numbers to keep Kobe and Bynum happy. If Sacramento is going to go forward with Tyreke and Cousins, they better be searching out for really unselfish players to surround them. It isn’t impossible, but it is more difficult. It is easier building with lower maintenance talents.

The lake show2

Cousins doesn’t get consistent minutes because he either gets in foul trouble, plays horrible defense, or takes bad shots. Very talented and has potential and i would pick him over Monroe but those are the reason’s he doesn’t get consistent minutes

The lake show2

dp

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login