2009-2010 Pre-Season Top 25
To read more visit my blog
1. Kansas- With the return of Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins (although he has put on some pounds), and the additions of Xavier and C.J. Henry, the Jayhawks are a very popular pre-season #1. Kansas will have proven leadership and plenty of depth, and Tyshawn Taylor is emerging more and more as a combo guard.
2. Michigan St.- Losing Goran Suton will be a set back, but Big 10 Player of the Year, Kalin Lucas is still there to run the point for Sparty. This team didn't blow oppenents away last year, so despite having a great record, and winning the Big 10 by 4 games, they where under estimated by many (including myself). It was their grit, and stellar defense that got them to the final four last year, and will be their calling card this season. In addition lets not forget that the Spartans have one of the best coaches in the country in Tom Izzo.
3. Texas- Even though Kansas is #1, it is quite possible that they won't win the Big 12 outright. Texas gets an influx of fresh talent, to go with the returnees of Damion James, Dexter Pittman, Justin Mason, and Gary Johnson. Freshman Jordan Hamilton should pair with James to give the Longhorns two very versatile forwards, and Florida transfer Jai Lucas will give them a pure point guard.
4. Kentucky- The addition of point guard prodigy John Wall, and highly touted big man DeMarcus Cousins have transformed Kentucky from an 08-09 NIT sqaud into a 09-10 championship contender. If Jodie Meeks had returned, it would be very hard to put Kansas ahead of them.
5. UNC- I doubt the Heels will repeat, but they will be a talented bunch. Deon Thompson is the only returning starter, but Ed Davis has lottery pick written all over him. All of the incoming freshmen should contribute imedaitely